Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Criminals and how to deal with them, should there be a long term penalty

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Ok so of course everyone has the right to make a mistake here and there, and shouldn't be branded a felon their whole life.

With that being said there are a certain type of dirtbags out there, that aren't enjoying the game unless they're killing and stealing thier own players.

Now from what I understand you will be able to work off corruption over time and when you die I think you lose some.
But At that point that person the "special" person will just go back and grief again and again rinse and repeat.

Should Kills add up over time and never be able to be removed like any criminal record, and if you rack up enough of these violations have some more serious consequences?

Now all people should have a right to retsore their good name or at least a name in some cases, so if they were tired of the penalties from their criminal days, possibly 1 way to earn back good favor would to pay restitution to it's victims, nothing absurd but a small token of money they've to pay before losing some of that reputation they earned.

That's just 1 thought, I would like to hear you thoughts and if you should be able to commt crimes and have the chance to start a new, or if there should be some lasting consequences.

Thank you for reading.
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn

Comments

• Options
    RemedyzRemedyz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Community service maybe within the Node the crime/corruption was done. Or some type of elected official or jury committee to oversee situations related to this.
    Not all who wander are lost, except me, I'm probably lost.
  • Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SorrowfulFancyIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    BuffyBuffy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    200.gif
    Black Sails Member!

Former WoW Player | 30Y | Female | PvP/Dungeon/Raid
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I believe there is already something like that for the corruption system.

If I'm not mistaken, if you, say, go on a killing spree and gain a lot of corruption, the next time you gain corruption it'll have a multiplier, to account for previous misdeeds.

How long of a period of time is taken into account for said multiplier is yet unknown and to be tested
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I believe there is already something like that for the corruption system.

If I'm not mistaken, if you, say, go on a killing spree and gain a lot of corruption, the next time you gain corruption it'll have a multiplier, to account for previous misdeeds.

How long of a period of time is taken into account for said multiplier is yet unknown and to be tested

Ya just looking for something that has a little more bite to it for repeaat offenders, I know Steven loves archeage but the community there is purely toxic, the jail system is a farce and they suffer no long term penalties, they just keep escaping jail until their buddies on the jurty let them go and absolve them.

IMO you should never be able to wipe a player's murder away, it should somehow be calculated in for future penalties as they continue to grow.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    I would like the warrior node to offer very significant corruption removal.

Then the entire server knows exactly where the reds are and it's their choice to take the risk of going there
    3-Ragonrok.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ragonrok wrote: »

Then the entire server knows exactly where the reds are and it's their choice to take the risk of going there

I wouldn't be surpised at some point there is a Island node corrupted players to go to, a pirate Island if you will.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    OP,
    There is no criminal or jail system. Corrupted players can work off their corruption by grinding experience (which will not level them, just remove corruption) or by dying. Dying will cause experience debt with most of the penalties of corruption and require the player to grind the experience off before removing the penalties or actually gaining experience.

Corrupt players will gain increasing skill and stat penalties in PVP as more players are killed. If the corrupt players refuse to burn off corruption and instead keep gaining corruption, then the corrupt player will eventually become combat ineffective in PVP due to stat penalties. If nothing else will stop the murder spree, being combat ineffective should make it happen.

If a player keeps becoming corrupt and removing corruption repeatedly, then the player will start gaining corruption faster.

I just want to add, corruption is only gained from killing non-combatants. If a player attacks another and the attacked player fights back, then that is consensual PVP and neither player gets corruption.

Most of what I said should be here,
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

If you need sources for anything, I should be able to find them.
  • Options
    OP,
    There is no criminal or jail system. Corrupted players can work off their corruption by grinding experience (which will not level them, just remove corruption) or by dying. Dying will cause experience debt with most of the penalties of corruption and require the player to grind the experience off before removing the penalties or actually gaining experience.

Corrupt players will gain increasing skill and stat penalties in PVP as more players are killed. If the corrupt players refuse to burn off corruption and instead keep gaining corruption, then the corrupt player will eventually become combat ineffective in PVP due to stat penalties. If nothing else will stop the murder spree, being combat ineffective should make it happen.

If a player keeps becoming corrupt and removing corruption repeatedly, then the player will start gaining corruption faster.

I just want to add, corruption is only gained from killing non-combatants. If a player attacks another and the attacked player fights back, then that is consensual PVP and neither player gets corruption.

Thank you for your post, yes I know there is no jail system, and it's corruption based. My fear is however players will find a way to munipulate the effects of corruptiion, so this is kind of a back up system, say if a player gets 200 MDK (murder death kill) a sliding scale of some other punishment will happen. My greatest fear is players will find a way out of it and we will get a toxic enviroment like Archeage.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I am sure that there will be some players that will choose to be corrupt pretty much permanently. There also will be some method(s) of manipulating the system to minimize penalties. However, at least to me it looks like players will be likely to avoid corruption whenever possible. Particularly since consensual PVP is so free everywhere.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bounty Hunters will have maps to help them find corrupt players and some of the Bounty Hunter Organization quests will probably require kills, too. In addition, nodes can declare corrupt players as Outlaws and put bounties on their heads.
  • Options
    BahlderBahlder Member
    Historically, in-game justice systems have never been corrupt and definitely worked in-game exactly the way they did on-paper.

;)
  • Options
    I guess I might be underestimating the bounty hunter system, very interested to test it out.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    AzarixAzarix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If the system in place isn't working, you can bet Steven and the Devs will handle it. Going to be great!
  • Options
    Santanico wrote: »
    OP,

Thank you for your post, yes I know there is no jail system, and it's corruption based. My fear is however players will find a way to munipulate the effects of corruptiion, so this is kind of a back up system, say if a player gets 200 MDK (murder death kill) a sliding scale of some other punishment will happen. My greatest fear is players will find a way out of it and we will get a toxic enviroment like Archeage.

When you kill a player and go corrupt you get 2 stat points added to your character. The first is "Player Kill" and the second is corruption. Corruption can be worked off as stated before by death and or exp. from killing mobs. The first, Player Kill, can only be erased via a quest, which will either take a ton of time, money or both.

The player kill stat is a multiplier of sorts. Steven got this from the Lineage 2 karma system. So for example... you kill your very first player of equal level and go corrupt, you get 1 player kill added to your stat, and you get 100 corruption. If you gain exp. or die to get rid of corruption, your player kill stats remains at 1. So the next time you kill someone and go corrupt, your player kill stat goes to 2, and your corruption now may be 150.

This system basically lets you keep on killing, but over time, the penalties become so overwhelming that your character becomes so in debt with corruption, that it is nearly impossible to work off. And trying to die it off only causes you to lose tons of Exp... and the chance to lose actual gear.

There will be players who try to play the perma corrupt player, but they will soon realize it is not worth it due to stat penalties in PvP, and the ever adding up cost of maintaining gear on their character. If they try to lower their Player Kill stat with the quest, that will drain their time and money (waiting for more details on this) at which point they wont be a bother because they are too busy running the quest to PK.. The system in place will work.

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    ragonrok wrote: »

Seeing as town guards will attack you on sight if you're corrupted, there is no chance a Node will help remove corruption.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    OP,

When you kill a player and go corrupt you get 2 stat points added to your character. The first is "Player Kill" and the second is corruption. Corruption can be worked off as stated before by death and or exp. from killing mobs. The first, Player Kill, can only be erased via a quest, which will either take a ton of time, money or both.

The player kill stat is a multiplier of sorts. Steven got this from the Lineage 2 karma system. So for example... you kill your very first player of equal level and go corrupt, you get 1 player kill added to your stat, and you get 100 corruption. If you gain exp. or die to get rid of corruption, your player kill stats remains at 1. So the next time you kill someone and go corrupt, your player kill stat goes to 2, and your corruption now may be 150.

This system basically lets you keep on killing, but over time, the penalties become so overwhelming that your character becomes so in debt with corruption, that it is nearly impossible to work off. And trying to die it off only causes you to lose tons of Exp... and the chance to lose actual gear.

There will be players who try to play the perma corrupt player, but they will soon realize it is not worth it due to stat penalties in PvP, and the ever adding up cost of maintaining gear on their character. If they try to lower their Player Kill stat with the quest, that will drain their time and money (waiting for more details on this) at which point they wont be a bother because they are too busy running the quest to PK.. The system in place will work.
    Thank you for your post , very insightful. I feel much better now, not have played lineage 2 I'm very excited for this!
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do we KNOW that town guards will attack corrupt players, or are we making that assumption from past games? thanks, TT
  • Options
    RoelathRoelath Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    tautau wrote: »
    Do we KNOW that town guards will attack corrupt players, or are we making that assumption from past games? thanks, TT

It's probably a good decision to maybe create corruption thresholds that makes guards attack people who hit those levels. A node could define what is considered an acceptable level or not would be great. Maybe also allowing a banned/exiled and exclusive lists. This would allow guards to attack certain characters on sight no matter the corruption and the exclusive list would allow high corruption players to be permitted inside the node. It would create an image of a node based upon those thresholds and permissions given.

Honorable - 0% corruption
    Respectable - >10% corruption
    Cartel/Oligarchy/Corrupt - Permits corruption for exclusive people
    Lawless/Pirates/Raiders - 100% corruption permitted
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    tautau wrote: »

We do know for sure:

NPC guards will kill corrupted players on sight

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/NPC_guards
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Roelath wrote: »
    It's probably a good decision to maybe create corruption thresholds that makes guards attack people who hit those levels. A node could define what is considered an acceptable level or not would be great. Maybe also allowing a banned/exiled and exclusive lists. This would allow guards to attack certain characters on sight no matter the corruption and the exclusive list would allow high corruption players to be permitted inside the node. It would create an image of a node based upon those thresholds and permissions given.

Corrupted player characters are treated like monsters by the NPCs.
  • Options
    RoelathRoelath Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »

That's a bit of problem if the players in question are in control of a node and intend to be "Evil" in their gameplay/roleplay. If a node is set to allow criminal activity NPC guards shouldn't attack people with corruption. Laws for inside the node/camp but, a fugitive entering a node is permitted without being attacked.
  • Options
    MikasaMikasa Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Ok so of course everyone has the right to make a mistake here and there, and shouldn't be branded a felon their whole life.

With that being said there are a certain type of dirtbags out there, that aren't enjoying the game unless they're killing and stealing thier own players.

Hello nice to meet you, your local dirtbag here ready to kill you the moment you peep your head out your rabbit hole!

Cheers I'll be waiting :smile:

giphy-downsized-large.gif
  • Options
    We should be able to take your land too.

[tenor.gif?itemid=15685679
  • Options
    edited May 2021

That's a bit of problem if the players in question are in control of a node and intend to be "Evil" in their gameplay/roleplay. If a node is set to allow criminal activity NPC guards shouldn't attack people with corruption. Laws for inside the node/camp but, a fugitive entering a node is permitted without being attacked.
    Mikasa wrote: »

Hello nice to meet you, your local dirtbag here ready to kill you the moment you peep your head out your rabbit hole!

Good luck with that lol, I'll be yawning while I look over your corpse.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    BuffyBuffy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021

Honestly can't see that happening where that many wou

You have to deal with an armada!
    tenor.gif
    Black Sails Member!

Former WoW Player | 30Y | Female | PvP/Dungeon/Raid
  • Options
    Buffy wrote: »

tenor.gif

Armada?? please let me know when you guys have enough people to crew a Dingy
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They are the type of guild that will kill people for about a month the corruption will catch up and their player base will drop to the point they disband
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited May 2021

tenor.gif

tenor.gif
    I am currently in the midst of creating a non profit organization to assist in providing migrant children with computers and ashes of creation accounts.

I'm working on the kickstarter page right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

tenor.gif

tenor.gif
    I am currently in the midst of creating a non profit organization to assist in providing migrant children with computers and ashes of creation accounts.

I'm working on the kickstarter page right now.

So you mean you're importing your family.. got it

Silly puddle Pirates
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg