Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Discussion] Community

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know why you are talking about the use of the word winning when my question asked if anyone complained about that kind of "winning" being toxic.
    Winning is irrelevant.
  • Options
    ElleandriaElleandria Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't know why you are talking about the use of the word winning when my question asked if anyone complained about that kind of "winning" being toxic.
    Winning is irrelevant.

I don't know why you would ask the question of if someone was complaining about said things being toxic when OP literally made this post because he has been crying over all of them O.O Winning is 100% relevant in an MMORPG unless you're some casual/RPer that honestly doesn't make up the majority of the player-base, the vast majority of the player base for any MMORPG are the individuals or groups that play the game as it was intended to be played, not complain the second that they don't win just for showing up (Which is what is being talked about here if you didn't notice that)
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Facts are facts.

:D True and you are short on those
    If you step into a boxing ring, that does not mean that you consent to being hit by a boxer. There are rules governing that. And there are penalties for attacking people inside the ring who have not consented to being hit.

Right but we aren't talking about non-boxers going into the ring are we now? When you click that Launch Game button, you are that proverbial boxer going into the ring against another boxer, and yeah, you are absolutely giving your consent to being hit by that other boxer, even if you obviously try to avoid it.

Just like in the Terms & Conditions, where it says (emphasis mine):
    By accessing the Website, or downloading or purchasing the Game(s), you hereby accept the Community Guidelines, and End User License Agreement contained herein (collectively the “Agreements”) in full. Do not continue to use the Website or Game(s) if you do not accept all of the terms and conditions set forth below.

You are not a special snowflake that get to be exempt from certain parts of the game. You are equally as much a player as the rest of us, and you are subject to all of the rules and all of the intended gameplay in Ashes (which includes forced PvP), that you consented to when you clicked that Launch Game button.

You are completely free to withdraw that consent any time you want by logging out of the game.
  • Options
    D3ATHSPARKD3ATHSPARK Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is coming from the toxic individual that blocked an entire guild on discord because he got meme'd on for typing forever xD We meme on Steven for typing forever and its not toxic man, its a joke. And I know plenty of old school MMORPG-ers that don't think the community is "toxic" at all, your subjective opinion on what is toxic and what isn't toxic is very different from the rest of the community and with you making asinine comments saying an entire guild is toxic when you really just got sad from some words only makes the situation worse.

You don't even have the whole story yet you're running your mouth. I could care less what a bunch of kids say to me, or how you put it "meme" on me. I have incredibly thick skin and don't take a single thing to heart. Sure I blocked a few so I didn't have to read juvenile comments but that is not how Enveus got blacklisted. That happened when they got butthurt over me blocking them and they decided to join my Discord and attempted to sabotage my guild. Any guild that uses a mob mentality to do something like that earns a global blacklist imo. So you're guilty by association. Maybe understand who your GM is before trying to defend such toxic people.

ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    Karatos wrote: »
    I've been Enveus maybe three weeks and there's very little toxicity. However, responses like these leave very little for me to say because it proves my point for me.
    • Theres no full loot
    • There are penalties for griefing
    • There are no benefits for rpk

If a person cannot handle someone who's not like them and the global diversity that comes with an MMORPG then it's not for the devs to solve. It's for them to grow as a human and change they way they perceive things.

PKing is going to happen, this games mainstay in PvP and if that rubs someone the wrong way then don't partake in the game until even more anti-griefing and rpk procedures are put into place.

Complaining about toxicity while unironically toxic seems to be the MO of most of the players out there, it's only toxic if the individual perceives it to be so, to which I say they can log off and gtfu.

It doesn't matter how long you've been in the guild. You're guilty by association. Do more research before joining a guild perhaps?

This also has nothing to do with different playstyles. PKing is a normal thing and that's not what I'm talking about. I said if the majority of the player base on a server is zerg guilds who have toxic mentality it will be a place where no one wants to play there. That could be a variety of different things. No, this isn't something for the devs to fix directly, but it's something to think about... hence why this post was started. Ashes could potentially fail as a game despite actually having good systems and design. A game like this hasn't been made in decades and things have changed A LOT since then.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Nerror wrote: »
    Right but we aren't talking about non-boxers going into the ring are we now? When you click that Launch Game button, you are that proverbial boxer going into the ring against another boxer, and yeah, you are absolutely giving your consent to being hit by that other boxer, even if you obviously try to avoid it.
    We are talking about forcing non-combatants to be involved in combat.
    You do not become a combatant by clicking the Launch Game button. You become a combatant by flagging for PvP combat.
    If clicking Launch Game was consent, everyone would be a combatant by default and there would be no non-combatants.
    Which is why killing non-combatants is penalized with Corruption.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I don't know why you would ask the question of if someone was complaining about said things being toxic when OP literally made this post because he has been crying over all of them.
    The OP does not talk about winning being toxic and specifically does not talk about Sieges being toxic which is what I questioned.
    The OP talks about bullying being toxic; not game mechanics being toxic.
    But, I have to be done discussing this with you... go ahead and take the last word if you need to.
  • Options
    I don't know why you would ask the question of if someone was complaining about said things being toxic when OP literally made this post because he has been crying over all of them.
    The OP does not talk about winning being toxic and specifically does not talk about Sieges being toxic which is what I questioned.
    The OP talks about bullying being toxic; not game mechanics being toxic.
    But, I have to be done discussing this with you... go ahead and take the last word if you need to.

I wouldn’t bother replying to that idiot. He’s just another juvenile Enveus troll seeking attention. It’s a perfect example why this conversation was started.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    D3ATHSPARK wrote: »
    This is coming from the toxic individual that blocked an entire guild on discord because he got meme'd on for typing forever xD We meme on Steven for typing forever and its not toxic man, its a joke. And I know plenty of old school MMORPG-ers that don't think the community is "toxic" at all, your subjective opinion on what is toxic and what isn't toxic is very different from the rest of the community and with you making asinine comments saying an entire guild is toxic when you really just got sad from some words only makes the situation worse.

You don't even have the whole story yet you're running your mouth. I could care less what a bunch of kids say to me, or how you put it "meme" on me. I have incredibly thick skin and don't take a single thing to heart. Sure I blocked a few so I didn't have to read juvenile comments but that is not how Enveus got blacklisted. That happened when they got butthurt over me blocking them and they decided to join my Discord and attempted to sabotage my guild. Any guild that uses a mob mentality to do something like that earns a global blacklist imo. So you're guilty by association. Maybe understand who your GM is before trying to defend such toxic people.

Do you have any screenshots of Enveus members joining your guild and actively tried to sabotage? I find it hard to believe that happened.

Also for the record spying and sabotaging other guilds are features for Ashes. Just like they are in Eve.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    We are talking about forcing non-combatants to be involved in combat.
    You do not become a combatant by clicking the Launch Game button. You become a combatant by flagging for PvP combat.
    If clicking Launch Game was consent, everyone would be a combatant by default and there would be no non-combatants.
    Which is why killing non-combatants is penalized with Corruption.

Well no. Your wrong. You might not specifically consent to fight that person but every time you go somewheres were PvP is a possibility you are by default consenting to it.

The flagging system is just a deterrent for griefing.
    It's a seperate thing. The game is a PVX game, you are effectively jumping into the ring. You are opening yourself up to the possibility of PvP. The only way you would not be is by not logging in.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Well no. Your wrong. You might not specifically consent to fight that person but every time you go somewheres were PvP is a possibility you are by default consenting to it.
    If we were default consenting to PvP combat by hitting Launch, we would be combatants by default.
    And, there would be no penalty for killing non-combatants because there would be no such thing as non-combatants.
    Facts are facts. So, I am not wrong. Deterrent for griefing is the same as reducing toxicity. Which is my point.

It is true that if you choose to participate in a Siege, Caravan or other type of battlegrounds, that is consent.
    Ashes is PvX. We agree.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been Enveus maybe three weeks and there's very little toxicity. However, responses like these leave very little for me to say because it proves my point for me.
    • Theres no full loot
    • There are penalties for griefing
    • There are no benefits for rpk

If a person cannot handle someone who's not like them and the global diversity that comes with an MMORPG then it's not for the devs to solve. It's for them to grow as a human and change they way they perceive things.

PKing is going to happen, this games mainstay in PvP and if that rubs someone the wrong way then don't partake in the game until even more anti-griefing and rpk procedures are put into place.

Complaining about toxicity while unironically toxic seems to be the MO of most of the players out there, it's only toxic if the individual perceives it to be so, to which I say they can log off and gtfu.

It doesn't matter how long you've been in the guild. You're guilty by association. Do more research before joining a guild perhaps?

This also has nothing to do with different playstyles. PKing is a normal thing and that's not what I'm talking about. I said if the majority of the player base on a server is zerg guilds who have toxic mentality it will be a place where no one wants to play there. That could be a variety of different things. No, this isn't something for the devs to fix directly, but it's something to think about... hence why this post was started. Ashes could potentially fail as a game despite actually having good systems and design. A game like this hasn't been made in decades and things have changed A LOT since then.

You're grown man, the GM is a grown man. Nothing stops you from talking to him about your issues, handle your business. Am I going to punish your guild for you being weird and knowing I'm in Enveus on an old handle? Nope. I still will never care about what your issue is it doesn't involve me, but you have your own reputation to contend with, good luck.

PKing is just old school full loot before they removed full loot, it's the original playstyle for PvP. Zerg guilds are players and zerging is a valid playstyle and tactic.. again toxic being the subjective part. Most zergs I've seen usually are fodder with the exception of the core guild. I did think about it, but in my experience, it's usually the non-PvPrs who seem to hold an entitlement mentality that they're more important than the PvPers and if thats the case, this isn't the game for them which prunes itself of nuclear level toxicity.

I rather deal with rowdy, abrasive folk than a bunch of snobs who cry every time they die and scream that PvE'rs outnumber PvPers so their fun should take precedence. I don't have to worry, because Ashes is already advertised as is and will keep most of the snobs I detest away anyway, hence why I'm here.

• Options
    You're grown man, the GM is a grown man. Nothing stops you from talking to him about your issues, handle your business. Am I going to punish your guild for you being weird and knowing I'm in Enveus on an old handle? Nope. I still will never care about what your issue is it doesn't involve me, but you have your own reputation to contend with, good luck.

PKing is just old school full loot before they removed full loot, it's the original playstyle for PvP. Zerg guilds are players and zerging is a valid playstyle and tactic.. again toxic being the subjective part. Most zergs I've seen usually are fodder with the exception of the core guild. I did think about it, but in my experience, it's usually the non-PvPrs who seem to hold an entitlement mentality that they're more important than the PvPers and if thats the case, this isn't the game for them which prunes itself of nuclear level toxicity.

I rather deal with rowdy, abrasive folk than a bunch of snobs who cry every time they die and scream that PvE'rs outnumber PvPers so their fun should take precedence. I don't have to worry, because Ashes is already advertised as is and will keep most of the snobs I detest away anyway, hence why I'm here.

Yeah, and I gave DA the chance to resolve it. He is just as bad as those who started everything. He actually enables them. If anyone stays in that guild under a leader like that... they are just as bad imo.

My reputation will do just fine. Those who are around me are so for a reason. I promote a positive community like feeling in my guild over the toxicity your guild peddles. Some people might be able to handle how direct I am but I don't put up with BS.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Do you have any screenshots of Enveus members joining your guild and actively tried to sabotage? I find it hard to believe that happened.

Also for the record spying and sabotaging other guilds are features for Ashes. Just like they are in Eve.

Screenshots in 2021.. lol, that's freaking hilarious. I guess you don't realize how easily stuff is faked these days. Eye witness accounts by reputable sources is all there is. You can believe whatever you want on the matter but it doesn't change reality.

ForumsBanner.png

• Options

Yeah, and I gave DA the chance to resolve it. He is just as bad as those who started everything. He actually enables them. If anyone stays in that guild under a leader like that... they are just as bad imo.

My reputation will do just fine. Those who are around me are so for a reason. I promote a positive community like feeling in my guild over the toxicity your guild peddles. Some people might be able to handle how direct I am but I don't put up with BS.

If you do not have empirical evidence to back up these claims, then its just you stirring the pot in a thread; which can be deduced to some narcissism and bruised ego. I had no idea who you were until yesterday when it was explained to me that you incredibly reactionary and sensitive, as it came with empirical evidence.

Again, AoC filters itself out which is by design as Steven has put it many times. Its absolutely pointless for you to finger point, because you've never been in Enveus and have no idea how the guild environment is. There seems to be a disconnect when it comes to self awareness, you're the bull in the pen crapping on everything you do not like; but perhaps that's not a fair analogy because I've seen many bull possess more awareness. So more like a pigeon..

• Options

If you do not have empirical evidence to back up these claims, then its just you stirring the pot in a thread; which can be deduced to some narcissism and bruised ego. I had no idea who you were until yesterday when it was explained to me that you incredibly reactionary and sensitive, as it came with empirical evidence.

Again, AoC filters itself out which is by design as Steven has put it many times. Its absolutely pointless for you to finger point, because you've never been in Enveus and have no idea how the guild environment is. There seems to be a disconnect when it comes to self awareness, you're the bull in the pen crapping on everything you do not like; but perhaps that's not a fair analogy because I've seen many bull possess more awareness. So more like a pigeon..

Having a "bruised ego" would mean you have to have an implication of self, of which i don't. Your opinion irrelevant. I don't care who knows me and who doesn't. That's the kind of mentality that fits Enveus. I very much know exactly how Enveus is because I've seen at least two dozen members be toxic AF. Communities grow with the same kind of personalities... incase you didn't know.

I also find it amusing acting like I'm "crapping on everything I don't like" when it's ONLY Enveus. Imagine that. You reap what you sow kiddo. I'm just one of the few that's not afraid to say something.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    edited July 2021

Having a "bruised ego" would mean you have to have an implication of self, of which i don't. Your opinion irrelevant. I don't care who knows me and who doesn't. That's the kind of mentality that fits Enveus. I very much know exactly how Enveus is because I've seen at least two dozen members be toxic AF. Communities grow with the same kind of personalities... incase you didn't know.

I also find it amusing acting like I'm "crapping on everything I don't like" when it's ONLY Enveus. Imagine that. You reap what you sow kiddo. I'm just one of the few that's not afraid to say something.

I mean you're mad about things I do not do, then you proceed to call people toxic who have nothing to do with whatever nonsense you're spouting. Then you proceed to continue to make baseless assertions and claims. If the shoe fits, wear it I suppose. Unfortunately with narcissism comes a lack of self-awareness, so the pigeon analogy fits.

Communities most certainly do not grow with the same type of personalities, especially when communities like Enveus are structured for the globe. You're a strange one, making baseless claims that have no evidence, no data. I'm not sure if you realize being fallacious, dogmatic, and using conjecture to get your emotions across as the best approach, but keep trying; you'll get it one day!

• Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Grab a coffee each.... skip writing what you are typing at the moment... and just soak it in.
    Let´s just relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEizKmZlUAw&ab_channel=wardruna
  • Options
    Grihm wrote: »
    Grab a coffee each.... skip writing what you are typing at the moment... and just soak it in.
    Let´s just relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEizKmZlUAw&ab_channel=wardruna

I'm always zen friend, no point in being angry at people who want to step in their own beartraps.
  • Options
    I mean you're mad about things I do not do, then you proceed to call people toxic who have nothing to do with whatever nonsense you're spouting. Then you proceed to continue to make baseless assertions and claims. If the shoe fits, wear it I suppose. Unfortunately with narcissism comes a lack of self-awareness, so the pigeon analogy fits.

Communities most certainly do not grow with the same type of personalities, especially when communities like Enveus are structured for the globe. You're a strange one, making baseless claims that have no evidence, no data. I'm not sure if you realize being fallacious, dogmatic, and using conjecture to get your emotions across as the best approach, but keep trying; you'll get it one day!

Keep telling yourself that.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Let's set examples that, at least sometimes, will change them.

Lead by example. I think the people worried about the toxicity of the player base simply have to try and set examples. There's always going to min/max, hardcore players who enjoy griefing but there are a lot of decent folks out there willing to be decent. Not carebears, just decent.
  • Options
    Khambhat wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    Let's set examples that, at least sometimes, will change them.

Lead by example. I think the people worried about the toxicity of the player base simply have to try and set examples. There's always going to min/max, hardcore players who enjoy griefing but there are a lot of decent folks out there willing to be decent. Not carebears, just decent.

That's the plan. I'm going to try and organize a group of good guilds to all start on the same server so we know there is a good amount of quality people there.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean the game is a while from release and the community we have already seems to be doing pretty well
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    I mean the game is a while from release and the community we have already seems to be doing pretty well

I plan to create content which is why I think about stuff like this early on. It's true that the bulk of the community seems pretty good, but there are definitely some bad apples out there. Most of those bad apples are leading guilds too so it will be interesting seeing how long they last.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I plan to create content which is why I think about stuff like this early on. It's true that the bulk of the community seems pretty good, but there are definitely some bad apples out there. Most of those bad apples are leading guilds too so it will be interesting seeing how long they last.

How do you mean by "bad apples" are they toxic or are they people you dislike?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Toxic and destructive. The game is still 1+ years out and I've already had a guild attempt to sabotage mine. It's pretty sad. Lot's of juvenile behavior to weed through. The content creators are pretty awesome so far. I hope those individuals keep going.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Toxic and destructive. The game is still 1+ years out and I've already had a guild attempt to sabotage mine. It's pretty sad. Lot's of juvenile behavior to weed through. The content creators are pretty awesome so far. I hope those individuals keep going.

Someone speaking well of the CCs?

This sounds sus
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options

People he dislikes. Prom legit asked him what was taking him so long to type a message one day and he blocked all Enveus in response.

We actually have screenshots and you can see it if you look back in the discord. Lol
    ZxbhjES.gif

• Options

Just read this conversation, the empirical evidence is present. I never had a conversation with this guy in my life prior to this thread and he's been steep in conjecture and fallacious rhetoric about how he views people.

• Options
    I can relate about community being a major part of the gaming experience and I believe it still is. I also remember playing WoW when it was first out as well as Runescape. Back then MMOs were so new and exciting. There was a real feel of adventure and there wasn't a guide to every quest, how to level up quickly, or get gold fast. The same applied to me for MapleStory since I really stuck around because of how awesome the community was and how helpful players would be. You'll always have people who try to take advantage of things. With the way Ashes is set up I believe it will be much easier to focus on building friendships and alliances to get things done since the world will be constantly changing on every server and there won't be a way to just Wiki all the quests because not every server will have access to all of them based on how Nodes develop. Same will apply with resources, dungeons, etc. This should really shape for a better community in general since it will take effort and teamwork to truely move forward with characters and the environment.
    Big Banana