Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

We’d like your feedback regarding the look and feel of the Vek race. We shared our most recent art of this race during the January Development Update livestream.

As a reminder, your feedback matters to us! For example: during Alpha One, players felt the Dünir race did not meet their expectations of a dwarf. Due to that feedback, we made adjustments to the Dünir race as mentioned in our September Development Update last year.

Vek Art

Vek_01.png

Vek_02.png

Vek_03.png

VEK_M_1.jpg

VEK_M_7.jpg

VEK_F_1.jpg

VEK_F_7.jpg

Vek race discussion from January Development Update livestream.

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
  • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
  • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?
Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Vek race design.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Thursday, February 24, 2022, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs!

UPDATE: Hi again friends! Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts on the Vek race! We had a blast reading through your thoughts and comments! We created an awesome report with the feedback you gave us for the design team!

Your thoughts and opinions matter to all of us here at Intrepid and we appreciate you all very much! ^_^
community_management.gif

Comments

• 10/10

The sinister, alien looking black-eyed one (the last pic) is the best by far.

Honestly, if there's a race in game which should have the ability to collect and cook the meat of other players/humanoids, its this one.

• I love the current renditions of the Vek, I give them the highest possible marks for design. My only question is what their stature is going to roll out as; originally when thinking goblinesque my mental image of them was diminutive in size but, based on these images they seem elongated in the face and neck which leads me to envision the rest of them following suite.

Are the intentions of their design to be similar to the trolls of warcraft lore where they have a hunched posture but are otherwise tall or will their bodies be smaller but follow the slouched demeanor?
  • Love the Vek. Some more alien and savage vibes would be poppin
  • DeeBeeDeeBee Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Love it and i cant wait to see more of them !
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fnhcrgri7scqf53yhgic6kfzhvnk9oronhq7tg7n2&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Malicus wrote: »
    Are the intentions of their design to be similar to the trolls of warcraft lore where they have a hunched posture but are otherwise tall or will their bodies be smaller but follow the slouched demeanor?

Beat me to it. While I love their design I do think they're going to be a little too close to Warcraft trolls, especially if they pursue a hunched posture which they hinted at in the livestream.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd like some more options for hair textures.
    I'm going to assume there will be more options for hair colors given the options provided for skin colors.
    If I had not been told they were Orcs, I would probably assume they are Trolls, but...
    I think those labels probably don't matter much.
  • I think the Vek look cool my only worry is the hunch back .. WoW had hunch back trolls/orcs/Worgs and its what turned a lot of people off to the races ... so the ability to choose to have a hunch or not would be nice!
    pzzzk4y2nv58.png
  • I really like the Vek. Make them look super alien. The black eye'd model is my fav. The others feel like Wow Troll Knock-Offs
  • Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    10/10 I like the shamanistic features, sets them apart from the Ren'Kai. They will go well with I believe Meso American building styles to accompany them. I like the variety here, orcs don't always have to be big and brutish looking.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They look great!
  • I really like the look since they resemble another race I like to play :), was really hoping for something that had the whole troll vibe from warcraft. Can't wait to see how they look once they are rendered and we see what they look like in game.
  • I don't know if its because of the variation of different photos, but I think the Vek were my favorite of the new race art released this month.
    I really like the differences we can see within a race. Not just height, width, size, but also cheek bone shape, eye cavity, ear angle and things with more implication like jewelry material/style (which makes sense as the resources/culture would not be distributed equally across Vera)

I believe one of the best things that can be done is create variation not just between races but within the races themselves.
  • KRissCHuKRissCHu Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I very much so love their design, Trolls are the master race of WoW and being able to recreate my main is amazing! :smiley:

The one thing that has me a bit miffed from what was said on the livestream is that they will be very short and hunched on top of it.

I would prefer it if the race on average was taller, specifically about the same height as the Renkai, but you can have them appear shorter because of their hunched posture. The Renkai can still be the biggest and buffest, while the Vek are more slender on average.

Or at the very least give us an option in the character creator to make our Vek characters approach the height of a Renkai through customization.

And pls don't make their butts flat.
  • ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    Personally, I've always disliked Orc races, however, Intrepid has does done an exceptional job on constructing this race and its features. I can see the goblinesk influence as steven had mentioned prior. You guys are on the right track of a mixture between uniqueness and pure ugliness xD

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    There isnt much that I dont like. My only concern since i havent seen any updates on Elves, are the Veks ears. The ears shouldn't resemble or look similar to the elven races in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
    I love the creativity and direction you guys are going with these races. It reignited my hype for the PyRai and Tulnar.
    [img][/img]
  • Im not sure about them. The Different orc races evolved from one race and I believe that the similarities might be to few.
    Especially the (incomparison to Ren'Kai) Gigantig theeth iritate me, maybe adjust their curviture so the don't look like a giant dentals wirst nightmair?
    Another difference ist the shape of their ears, im fine with their size, but I would keep the shape of the Ren'kais Ears or pronounce their similarities mor
  • KorvisKorvis Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    10/10 looks amazing let's just come back to this once we see the body
    o2h3grud0nm8.png
  • ryg0bvrz8fuz.png

I like that they have their own distinct look. The facepaint, the jewlery, the tusks, the eyes, the nose.

My main concern, as I wrote in another thread is that they look cartoonish compared to all the other races because of their purple skincolor (which also makes them look more like WOW creatures troll/nightelf). I would much prefere if they had a variety of different , more humanlike skintones. Look at the picture posted in discord. They kinda stand out.

Also, personally, I'm not a fan of the really long ears. Don't get me wrong, pointy ears are cool but do they have to be as tall as the head? Or, maybe if it can be personalized I can make my ears shorter and others who prefere the longers ones can have those :)

As for the dofus with black eyes and sprouting tusks, I think he might have been down in the caves with the Tulnar to long...
    1WvWhjiSog77sK0MLqAaxEkIbxqnrHnKO=w1920-h937-iv2
  • Great design and honestly, it's hard to imagine any major improvements to them without seeing more than a head shot to get the full picture and make critiques off that. This does look great so far <3
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Excellent job! The only thing I'd like to see is different skin variations from blue, to pink to green for the Vek!
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • PeyPitesPeyPites Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If this is the first pass on the Vek, they look amazing. The third variation is in my opinion the best one. It fits the stargazing/mystical orc variation the best. This was perfect for an "early" showcase. I just wish we had an idea of their "odd" body posture. That way we would have a better overall picture of the race.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    10/10 from the neck and up :love:

Final judgment is reserved for when I see the full bodies. :smile:
  • I'm going to go out on a limb and say what you have is awesome. I just hope you could consider some smoother faced options and some more appealing features as options. The general design is great, but there should be a degree of allowing for less appealing looks as well as somewhat appealing, while retaining their core looks.

This may not be a popular opinion, but otherwise we end up with a race everyone says is cool but it's never played. Even "ugly races" can be beautiful too. The first picture is pretty close for both male and female. The others make good options but I don't see them being played as often.
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For a stargazing, somewhat tribal race, they fit that description.
    The piercings and face paint are reminiscent of the Aztecs and Mayans.
    The noses properly droop as they've been weighed down by nose piercings all their lives.
    The gaunt cheeks and long pointed ears give an alien sense, or at least a "native of a foreign land" look.
    The pale, purplish skin and long pointed ears give a dark elf vibe. Good or bad, that's up to you.
    The somewhat long but well defined faces of the males is reminiscent of the facial design oft given to scholar characters, reinforcing the air of intelligence and dignity.
  • NightHawk1012NightHawk1012 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Very well designed and somewhat creepy looking too. the unique features they have and different looks from even each other is something I really like. However hard to say entirely what I think of the race until we see entire body as the shape of the body and look can sway the entire feel of the character.
  • zenozeno Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    10/10 so far. Hoping that there is an upright posture option. Planning to make a Vek Archwizard my main and having a stooped/hunched character is very off-putting to me
  • WuqingYeWuqingYe Member
    edited February 2022
    Personally, my favorite race so far! I love how they seem like a fusion between orcs and elves (with that troll-ish aesthetic). It is true, however, that they kinda stick out like a sore (but glorious) thumb. They are so different from the other races that the Vek almost feel like they are from a different game. I know various colors and sliders will be present come launch but maybe consider a way to help the Vek mesh a little better with the other races (or have the other races stand out more like the Vek)! :) thanks for your hard work and always chatting with the community! <3

Side note: I love the long ears plz keep :'(
  • chaoko954chaoko954 Member, Alpha One
    Super hype when I saw these. I didn't expect the Troll-esque lanky style and I think it looks great. Now we have Beefy orcs and Stick Orcs! lol Again Great job design team!
  • jRadxjRadx Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Although it looks cool, I sense that having vastly different ocular bone structures and eye types in one race of Vek is a problem of continuity, the top two pictures look far too differnt from the third except for adornment. unless there is an explanation for why certain vek maybe have lived mostly underground so have enhanced darvision, and darker eyes to enable more light, and this gives them a scism in terms of evolution of Vek tens of thousands of years ago. If i was to choose my favourite concept of Vek I would love more lore on the hairstyle and facepaint adornment, they obviously love self expression through their choice of earings and piercings, why that is would be great to explore. But yeah i think concept needs a bit more solidification in the story of Vek-kind. At least an explantion why.
  • I was super surprised! I just assumed that I'd be playing either one of the elvish races or the Kaelar, but these character designs may have convinced me to switch - they're my favourite so far. Not much constructive criticism, but if no one commented when they loved it then you'd think all of the community disliked it~