Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

Comments

• Options
    E_THE_REAL1E_THE_REAL1 Member
    edited August 2022
    The Vek are awesome. Definitely keep going in this direction, the alien tribal orcs are truly epic. The only thing I would say, which many others seem to agree with, is don't force all Vek players to have a contorted posture, let us stand upright if we want to.

Well done Intrepid, what an epic reveal! :)
  • Options
    I absolutely loved them. The only thing I would request is:

Please don't have them be hunched over. They're too cool and proud a race to not stand tall and tower over everyone (except the Ren'Kai)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    10/10

I love the facial character and how different they are from other races.
  • Options
    DitchGhostDitchGhost Member
    edited February 2022
    Its so weird and different and I love it. It makes me wanna play something other than a human female. I hope the Vek arent slouched like it seems to be teased tho.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What if the slouch was like this?

tumblr_inline_oap2shR3kM1rxuedu_500.jpg

As opposed to being a complete hunchback, like this:

Stalker-full-body.jpg

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    renderedasunderrenderedasunder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly that's a pretty solid 9/10 for me!

What do I really like?: I really like that they're still in the same vein of the Ren'kai Orcs, where they're visibly connected in some distant way, but are still distinctly different. It more than exceeded my expectations for what you were going to do with them, and I'm excited to see more!

Is there anything I dislike?: Honestly my only concern is with the 3rd picture provided, where the eyes are entirely darkened. For me at least it makes that particular orc seem a little too alien if that makes sense?

My thoughts?: Honestly blown away by the direction you are taking the races as a whole, and love the Vek in general. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see some Vek cities in-game!
  • Options
    PhlightPhlight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I decided on being a Vek based on their lore. Astrologers who excel in naval content seemed like a pretty dope concept. I was expecting the Vek to look somewhat similar to their Kaivek Orc cousins the Ren'Kai. I was shocked at the unveiling. I love the design, but I'm not 100% on playing them as I was before the reveal. What will make it 100% for me is the customization. By the looks of it the facial paint and jewelry will be customizable. I've never been a fan of playing the long pointy eared characters in games. If I'm able to scale back the ear size a lot then I'm in.
  • Options
    WarPotatoWarPotato Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they're perfect, love the design.

My only want would be for a customization option that would allow you to switch between either a slouched stance or an upright stance.
  • Options
    I think they need to have shorter fangs, specially the ones in the front for the images 2 and 3. Otherwise they are 10/10. The only thing I would add is bony but sturdy looking limbs and a liiittle longer than a normally proportional limb would look, but not over the top either.
  • Options
    Phenomenal work 9.5/10
    Thoughts:
    - FEEL - feels like a beautiful balance of fidelity (realism) and fantasy (character).
    - ANIMATION/RIG - As others have mentioned I think it will be Next level to have customisation options for the posture in the creator. Hunchback or not is a big deal and can provide a really different feel. (Appreciate this tech may be challenging but would be very immersive as we rarely see smal detail on face changes but always see the motion and posture).
  • Options
    WuqingYe wrote: »
    they kinda stick out like a sore (but glorious) thumb. They are so different from the other races that the Vek almost feel like they are from a different game.

Really agree with this. Other races could learn a lot from the design on these. Specifically the Orcs
  • Options
    SticQenoSticQeno Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm just honestly impressed with the customization. I know we haven't seen anything so far, but it seems to me as if the character customization will be very customizable and unique. These look great.
  • Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm loving the Vek facial design. I was planning to roll a Vek Shaman even before I saw them... Now I'm even more committed to the Cleric/Summoner build in my head. I'll admit that they do look more "Troll" like, than I expected; which I'm OK with, but since they are Orcs I hope that they have a more muscular physique than WoW's Trolls. As mentioned above, I too am concerned about the "hunched/contorted" stance that Steven mentioned... Right now the look of that with the concept art combo screams "WoW Troll clone" in my head.
    4cg35xm2xuzu.jpg

Instead of being hunched, maybe they could be slightly shorter, and a bit less muscular than RenKai but keep the cool facial features of the revealed art.
  • Options
    I cannot wait to see what the bodies of these models are gonna look like, these are my favorite-looking race thus far. So cool, 10/10.
  • Options
    ThreatherThreather Member
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
      I appreciate the difference in body compositions so far. All of the other races have been shown to be on the athletic + bulky side but their faces and necks appear to be thin. It hints that the race is focused on a lot of manual labor like chopping wood and hauling goods around but is instead spending most hours in scholarly duties.
      The one attention to detail that I find most appealing was the eyes. Their eye coloring reminds me of cat/owl eyes who are known for their dark vision. The Vek are known to be star gazers so their eyes developing to be more functional at night and mimicking our animals that can see at night (whether intentional) is neat.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
      The initial display of their major pieces (eyes, noses, length of face, ears, tattoos, jewely) is a great start. I do have questions though as to why the difference of tusk length displayed on the Vek over the Ren'kai. For the Ren'kai being as physically imposing, the Vek's face looks far more imposing or threatening.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
      I've two concerns, both of them are around the "contorted" stature.
    1. The first concern is that I hope I am able to adjust the hunched values of my Vek. That way I have the ability to choose how hunched over they are from being only 15° hunched or 60° hunched.
    2. The other issue is that some games suffer heavily with armor clipping. When you build armor on a T-posed model, the armor can look amazing. But when you start twisting a model then you start having shoulders clip into arm guards, chest pieces clipping through the leg armor, arms or the cloak/capes. I'd not want awesome appearances to be destroyed by a posture issue.
    Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?
      Everything shown is what I would want the ability to add/remove from their face. I would like the ability though to be able to customize items individually. I would like to be able to give a color to each earring or possibly give my nose ring one color and my earring(s) a different color. The face/body paint would be nice to have multiple coloring options as well - especially if you could do a gradient (Fade from a Blue to a dark purple top to bottom). I'd hate to have a lot of skin color options but not a lot of body paint color options causing some body paints to be less dominant on specific skin colors. I don't want to have only blue body paint colors that become invisible on blue skin tones.
  • Options
    AzhreiAzhrei Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So, a little of this is going to be almost copy/paste for each race.

The detail from UE5 is mind boggling. It really adds just so much depth and intricacy to each race in AoC.

This race is just super intense. That is not a bad thing, it allows for so much role play and customization.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ELRYNO wrote: »
    I love the almost extraterrestrial feel to the Vek. I cannot wait to see the customisation options of the skin colours, tusks, piercings & most importantly their posture and their animations! Super super excited to see them, I'm also really interested in how the team will interpret what a bard will "look & feel like" when playing as a Vek
    Like a motha efing viking!!!! Drums, horns, chanting
    https://open.spotify.com/track/1bPg8SXLc3c6ruDOZyCq7Z?si=63c22ba21bca47e4
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This is closer to what I had imagined the Vek looking like. Although this is a very
    WoW-ish looking image too
    qndjrgsb513b.jpg
  • Options
    Would love to get some body frame comparisons before making a comment on them as a whole
    So far I like them
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    For some reason the top 2 look like a different race than third image. I feel like the top two feel very evil-Avatar-esque. While the 3 look feel on point! I would love to see more iterations on that model, the open black eyes and pale skin makes them look like they haven't seen sunlight in ages. They feel dark and creepy. I love it.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    XilfarthXilfarth Member
    edited February 2022
    I like the Vek art as is. They look cunning, strong, and dangerous. Perfect as a dps. I hope the rest of the body compliments the face. I never thought I'd play an Orc but I'm dead set on it now. I hope they have more color options like black or brown although I'm sure I'll be making a blue one like in the video.
  • Options
    JeanPhilippeQCJeanPhilippeQC Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

The WoW’s troll inspiration. Skin colors is perfect to fit the new orcs. Ear piercings looks great. Bone necklaces is fitting well in the design.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

The third picture make me concerned that we could create an alien-like character. I don’t think that plain-black eyes are very orcish. Ears are a little bit too elvish-like.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?

They are very trollish-goblins based. Concept is very nice. The second picture one looks like Spock from Star Trek.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?

I would like to have the possibility to have smaller or bigger lower jaw teeth. Have two big teeth, 6 like in the third pictures, two at each extremity of the mouth. I would like to see different piercings, such as out of the nose, a bone-like nose piercing, jewels piercing out of the cheek.
  • Options
    MycologyMycology Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Out of all the classes, this one really blew me out of the water. I am really loving the Vek vibe! These give me shamanistic/sinister vibe.

DO YA LIKE THA VOODOO?
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited February 2022
    They look great! I prefer the bluey skin to the purpley skin. The purple just feels a little too unnatural. Maybe it's just that all the others are peachy and browny, so the purple just looks out of place. I dunno. Maybe all it needs is for the Ren'Kai to be less human-coloured.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vek looks too good and stands out too much from the rest, now everybody is gonna make a Vek!! T_T

My niche race!!! :(
  • Options
    Absolutely love the art direction for the Vek. Looking forward to seeing their 3D models. The diversity in skin color/tones and facial features are awesome!
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    I love the lore that the Vek are stargazing fortunetellers who can see deep into the mysteries of the cosmos. That their affinity for the stars somehow shapes their evolution and appearance sounds very appealing. To that end, the headshots released look fabulous. The contours of their brows, cheek-lines, and noses have starlord of the orcs shaped throughout. However, I don't buy the idea that their posture would be contorted or that that their stature diminished by spending their energy gazing at the stars. When you talk to astronomers and astronauts that have seen the wonders of the heavens first hand, you find individuals that are grounded in the present, connected to the earth and their bodies are well taken care of vessels from which to experience such wonder from an earthly plane. When I think of the evolution of such a race influenced by stargazing, I imagine tall and sleek with lanky limbs as if pulled by the heavens above and the gravity below. Please don't make this fascinating and star-drawn race a hunched and contorted people.
  • Options
    I love it, very cool. I like the way it looks cause of its tusk like teeth and also the jewellery they got on going for a modern type vibe, it will also be cool when designing the body they should have some tattoo to make them that even extra awesome or maybe add tattoos as a extra in the customise menu.
  • Options
    They look very distinct, noses are amazing. The third concept made me consider picking Vek over my usually played race - Elves.
    It would be great if:

-there were many options for whole-body tattoos that could shape their personalities further, options for primary and secondary (smaller/additive).
    -female Vek had sharper face shapes available so they can be as cool/tough looking as males.
    -they had highly customizable teeth as they are an important part of their design. The color/shade of them could be a bit customizable too.
    -...piercing like eyebrows on the first one are a cool idea, having different types of eyebrow piercings would add a lot to the whole expression.

Overall, I love the direction they are taking.
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fantastic! These look great. Maybe tone down the blue a bit.