Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

Comments

• Options
    The green on/around the eyebrowns/Nose looks like wurms. I dont know if thats intended, but it just looks that way and i find it a bit weird to be honest.
  • Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Marcet wrote: »
    Vek looks too good and stands out too much from the rest, now everybody is gonna make a Vek!! T_T

My niche race!!! :(

I think that the min/maxers will pick whatever race gives them the biggest benefit.
  • Options
    I finally figured out what it is about that last one that both draws me in and feels vaguely familiar. It reminds me of the feel of the genius hacker Nosferatu in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.
  • Options
    ZeratouZeratou Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Hi, The visual is interesting, i don't rly like the purple and blue ones, they are interesting but they look mean and arogant.
    The last one is my favoryte by far, in my point of view it's the most refreshing and "original" one.

Love you all, have a nice day. <3
  • Options
    The Vek look really good already. I think the only hope I have with them is that you offer a lot of customization options for the hair and the teeth for them, because the current teeth/horns or however you want to call them do not look so nice to me.
  • Options
    Gh0stfaceGh0stface Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the hunched posture thing is a great idea and adds variety to the different races. Having every single race all have a straight back and perfect posture is boring and I do think the Warcraft inspiration from the Trolls that I see in the Vek is awesome. The only critique is that if you are going that route then I think the tusks/teeth could be bigger and more menacing.
  • Options
    BergundBergund Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ah the Vek. well, as a dwarf… i think the Vek are disturbingly gorgeous. i would LOVE to face them in battle or try their strange brews. the skin tones are varied and hopefully their Ren’kai distant relatives can also have similarly colored skin.

seriously, please make them hunched and gangly. everyone here is saying they look like trolls but i feel waaaay more hopeful they’ll be goblin-like.

i dream of facing off against large numbers of Ren’kai and Vek, and the sizes you’ve described (Vek up to the the Ren’kai nips) perfectly matches my vision! They’re horribly curious and beautifully strange, keep up the great work!

Also, DynastyLife on Discord says “don’t change the Vek”… they’re just too lazy to do it themselves <3
    The coin is a rite of passage.
  • Options
    10/10, they are so cool.
  • Options
    Vek Feedback:

1. Give the Veks loads of tattoos/woads, tusks, and jewelry options. They are good the way they are overall. Nice job.

2. Bug-eyed Bill with the red eyes needs no more love than he already has. He's the perfect stargazing brute this universe needs. Variety of BIG EYES-- yes, keep those coming.

3. Whatever changes you make, please ensure that one element remains with the Vek: Maintain that they always looked absolutely pissed off. Do NOT allow players to create ANY VEK with a smile. DO NOT ALLOW THIS AT ALL COSTS. No Vek gets to smile. Nobody. Smiling is against Vek law. You smile? Disrespectful. Banished. Exiled. Hunted. Killed. No smiles or you will literally pay the price.

4. The race needs to constantly look like they just spilled hot coffee on their shirt 30 minutes ago-- you know, like they've kind of calmed down because it's been 30 minutes, but are still seething because it's still kind of fresh in their minds and now they need to go through the rest of their day with coffee stains on their shirt.

BONUS SIDE QUEST: Make the Vek the best dancers in the game. They need a REALLY good dance like a "pop-lock-and-drop it" kind of feel, but they will still have the pissed off face while they dance! HA! It'll be epic. Your animators will get so much experience from completing this side quest they won't even know how to spend all their stat points.
  • Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I absolutely love the Vek artwork so far the big eyed one is incredible and the range of eye and skin colour is awesome, the extraterrestrial feel to them is what is so striking to me, I cannot wait to see what their posture customisations are going to look like as if they are able to be hunched and look like that in a very shamanistic / primal way I'm sold 100% changed my race choice. However what I am most intrigued by is how the distinctive racial aesthetics of the Vek / Renkai / Tulnar are going to translate into classes such as the Bard, Cleric & Summoner. Will the spell effects & animations for these be generic or will they be different for the less human looking races so the Vek are more expressive with their casting animations and the spells are more archaic / cosmological aesthetic.

Two customisation elements i'd be really interested in seeing if it was possible is the degree of "hunch" and if the player could change their "run" animation based on the degree of "hunch"
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited February 2022
    I really like the vibe for the Vek, but I have two concerns about them.

The first one is that I would like them and the Ren'kai to share some obvious physical characteristics. Not that these need to be the exact same on both, but enough that we can say their is a clear ancestry between the two races.

The second is more a warning about the tusks: they must appear to remain, if not functionally beneficial, at least not too much of a functional disadvantage. At some point, what was cool can pass into the silly territory. More like if the individual was playing with their denture than having bad tusks. (sorry for the mental imagery :p )
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NeatcheNeatche Member
    edited February 2022
    I knew I would like to main a Vek Cleric before I saw the pictures. Now I am very happy with its design. The female was very cute. Keep her.

More bone piercings are required. Neck stretching rings. Some might have cut their ears, partially or fully. Scarring tattoo. The Vek should be the masters off body modifications. Make it optional ofcourse.

Push the freak angle, as I plan to play an Aztec High Priestess! All the feathers, bone, and blood!
  • Options
    I love the look of them but- can we get some eyebrow options for them that are toggleable for the people who love eyebrows? I just think eyebrows are the frames for a face and if I don't see them on a character it just seems like that face isn't complete. I'd also love to see some intricate earrings or multiple earrings showing up on the ear when you slot them in, they have so much free real estate in that department. :D
  • Options
    I am definitely liking the Vek design, it is not my favorite race, but it's nice that we won't see 3 variations of humans with different names.
  • Options
    love the look of the male in the male/female picture
  • Options
    I love the Vek! Please do not force a rounded upper back on us though. (Not saying they plan on doing this. They just remind me of a certain race from a certain game.) Posture/spine alignment should be a choice. Looking forward to a full body reveal.
  • Options
    ZephiriusZephirius Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the Vek mostly except for the ears. They are not distinguishable enough from the elves. Too pointy maybe.
  • Options
    In general I like original /strange / outwordly, but I think it went too far here.
    First, the noses are too hooked.
    Then the 2nd and 3nd male just look plain stupid.
    I would step back a little on the crazy / exagerated features here.
    The first concept art was giving me grandiose / ancestral vibes, a wise tribe with blueish skin and aztec / inca features. Now I see these as hunched over, stupid primitive tribal alien looking trolls.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love it. I can already picture them with black skin and white hair. Awesome!
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    These are fun! I enjoy the nose shape and the stylization. They look a bit WOW troll and I enjoy that. It's familiar, but different. I hope they go hunched back on the men, but perhaps not as extreme as WOW did. That was one of my favorite things about WOW trolls though! It's a bit silly, but fantasy worlds need a little of that.
  • Options
    i actually like the idea of of smaller orc subrace. the eyes on the males look like they're really tired though. Oh and please be aware that there is a race in the game in no mans sky called "the vek" . i don't know what you're allowed to do with that, but just trying to make sure you're covered. I'm looking forward to learning more about this game and want to follow closely on the journey.
  • Options
    BelegBeleg Member, Alpha One
    Looks great to be, tbh. I think it's interesting that both the tribal versions of the standard races (Nikua and Vek for Dunir and Ren'kai resp.) are not just tribal in name, but also in appearance. Very cool.
  • Options
    I like everything about these guys. The variety, and savage "pin-head" look is very fun.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vek are looking awesome. Hoping there are plenty of options for hair and body style/size/thickness/type(sliders please!).
  • Options
    They look amazing! At first I was planning on playing an elf, but after looking at the Vek design, I will definitely play as one

I love the idea of the Vek being hunched as part of their identity.

I think Steven said they were going to be as tall as a human, so imo they should be as tall or taller than humans while having the hunched posture.
  • Options
    SawtoothSawtooth Member
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I like the big black eyed one. It’s quirky and unique.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I think the overall design is a little too reminiscent of Warcraft trolls. Hopefully this can be solved through character creation.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
    I think that I want to see what Vek armor will look like. I hope it’s not all tribal themed. I like the underbite.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?
    I hope that we get a wide range of options to make our Vek be how we imagine it. Add some features that are more angular like a traditional goblin, More prominent skin tones, height options, deformity options, non tribal hair styles(long, bald, etc)
    I’m not saying there have be a ton of options but the options that there are should be quite different from each other. A lot of games play it safe and option B is just a slightly different variation of option A.
  • Options
    NashtyNashty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vek is easily your best one yet. Non traditional races are fantastic.
  • Options
    BloodstormzBloodstormz Member
    edited February 2022
    I Like the overall Concept but they look to Cartoonish like the cardboard cutouts of WOW characters. A game this amazing looking doesn't need that. i personally think the skin needs more texture its too flat with one tone more charcoal look i think would set it off kinda like LOTR eflborn-orcs but no where near as dark. I do like how they resemble the Avatar Characters but different.
  • Options
    we are very far from the graphics of wow, finally a game that will have graphics, worthy of 2022 and not 1950
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    I love this direction! I was honestly just picturing a leaner build on a traditional or so the Vek reveal really took me by surprise. My only critique for the art direction so far would be the teeth/tusks. As they are they sort of look like a weird underbite in each model. I would either make them more pronounced and pulled to the corner of the mouth (like a boar), or add equally pronounced top teeth (like a vampire bat).

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
    I loved the reveal. The Vek look awesome. I am a bit sad Steven mentioned they would have a tall build with a stooped posture. To me, the color pattern, pointed ears, and stoop would make them feel too much like a troll from WoW. In my humble opinion, I would rather have the Vek be nearly as tall as the Ren'Kai, and the silhouette made by being taller and thinner than any other race.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?
    I would like if there were some hair options that were a bit shaggier than the livestream models. They all seem to have a monk style crop with top knot. The clean cut look is cool, but I would want grungier options.