Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

Comments

• Options
    GoatrekGoatrek Member
    edited February 2022
    In short: VERY NICE. My first impression was that the game FINALLY is seeing some player characters tuned towards non-human features and a little more stylized/High fantasy-esque. I see wow troll resemblence and I think thats awesome. A unique body posture and movement is very appreciated as well

Also hoping to see some non-human proportions in various body parts and a clearly unique style to these guys.
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    edited February 2022
    Absolutely love them. Excited to see the full body stance and proportions obviously but I dig the direction you're going in so far. Of all the released models this is the one I am currently most likely to play.

The one major thing that sticks out to me as odd is that the woman has much different facial skeletal structure than all three of the male faces. They all have dramatic cheek and jaw bones that give them a sharpness I think is wonderful for the species, whereas she has much rounder cheeks and jaw, making her seem much less sharp and lean. It looks like a different species to me, or a half-vek half-human, rather than a different gender of the other examples.

One of my gripes with a lot of mmo species is the crazy gender disparity they often have, where all female characters are less unique and more humanized/watered down. Look at orcs from WoW for a great example of what not to do, in my opinion.

Great work! Excited to see more!
  • Options
    AshlynmaeAshlynmae Member, Intrepid Pack
    PERFECT! 10/10 You knocked it out of the park with this design! Love the progress and excellence you weave into all the development phases of Ashes! <3
  • Options
    The more human ones, I actually find more off putting than the more alien ones. I missed the street for these, but I hope the lord and history of the races matches the design for the skins.
    They look ideal for a ‘dark’ race and if I was playing without knowing anything about the game would compare them to either a dark elf or an orc.
  • Options
    MindForkMindFork Member
    edited February 2022
    As a member of multiple orcs communities I was very dissapointed :(
    Orcs is the race I highly appretiate, I am plaing it in each game and most probably it will be my main here. But I cannot see me play it in this form...
    On all 3 pics they looks like hybrids between elfs and trolls/goblins which makes my soul cry as an classic elfs protagonist.
    On third pic - I would like to say no comment, but I can't. What is it ? Some weak, afraid and helpless alien !? This is the picture you want to provide, when someone thinking of an orc!?
    Real orcs are very far from that and representing power, fearlessness, valor and wisdom (the last point of cource not all xD but orcs shamans and chiftains for sure!^^). Freedom and wildness are our attributes!

Nevertheless the creatures itself are cool, but I would accept it rather as a fully new race, than a sub branch of orcs.
    Many thanks for sharing and discussing it with us! :)

PS: have never played an dwarf, but really like how you did them! They look really cool and respectfull and like a guy, which you want to have a drink with you xD

PPS: ok, wiki says (Vek are "goblinesque" in appearance), but still they are Orcs in first place. I think in this case renaming the main race from Orcs to Goblins would fit much better, than doing any change on them to fit the orcs attributes.
  • Options
    • Looks outstanding.
    • Would like to see body features/proportions inspired by the Prolemuris (Blue Creatures in Avatar movie)
  • Options
    These Vek designs look very good! I would love to see Vek have also green skin colour variations in the future.

The thing that worries me about Vek is they look so much like WoW's trolls. I'm little bit conserned about plans to make them have "contorted" statures and I think that is maybe a wrong direction. I hope Vek will have more fingers and toes than WoW's trolls.
  • Options
    clifmeisterclifmeister Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    These are great! Probably less like the underbite teeth, hope they will be adjustable.
  • Options
    The Vek overall look pretty good. I would say that they're distinguishably very alien and it fits their aesthetic well. Perhaps you could look at introducing some striking paints that are luminescent, neon greens and pinks which glow on the character model.
    kNfIFH6.gif
  • Options
    Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maybe different ear shape options? Maybe like a vertical diamond shape instead of the horizontal? Idk, think outside the box of troll/elf ears. They look pretty neat, but do have a WoW feel to them. The tattoo and teeth options look to be a highlight. Maybe full body tattoo star-map / treasure map patterns on their body and head?
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the ones we've seen. Wondering how far we can push skins colours and stuff on the creator but I'm sure we'll see more soon
  • Options
    It's superb, you made it. Last one slaps. Maybe optional red irises would add to it
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not much criticism, they look wonderful. Giving them an alien appearance has made them a hit with the community, I would like to see how their crooked stature since the head looks marvelous. As well as your design on their limbs.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the almost extraterrestrial feel to the Vek. I cannot wait to see the customisation options of the skin colours, tusks, piercings & most importantly their posture and their animations! Super super excited to see them, I'm also really interested in how the team will interpret what a bard will "look & feel like" when playing as a Vek
  • Options
    Love it look at them eyes
  • Options
    Lavitz SlambertLavitz Slambert Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Overall, I like the Vek’s appearance and how different they can look from one another. BUT! I do see a lot of similarities to trolls from WoW (and I’ll say the same thing about the Ren’kai in relation to orcs in the other thread). I just want to encourage us to be wary of when that game is influencing how we see MMOs. Mostly because it sucks, but also because we should do something different.

But, overall, I like the look and I am glad they are significantly different from Ren’kai.
  • Options
    TipsyMallardTipsyMallard Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am very pleased with the new renditions! They do look similar to the "trolls" from "World of Warcraft" but still have a very "Orcish" look to differentiate them.
  • Options
    captivatedcaptivated Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Overall I like the Vek. I hope they don't move like monkies, that would make 'em look silly. So please be careful with them, its easy with skinny races to look goofy when they move. The one thing I don't like is that the design of the faces doesn't seem to leave much room for nose variations. I hope you can change the nose design in a way that offers for flexibility. I can see many people that wouldn't like the Veks look simply because of the one nose type. I really love the trolls from WoW and would love to play a Vek that looks kinda like the trolls. So overall awesome work, but please leave us enough options in the character editor let the noses look a bit different.
  • Options
    I love the Vek, I like the fact that they look like the weird malformed cousin of the ren'kai. I personally don't see an issue with them reminding people of wow trolls, that just seems to be a personal reference point of many of the people wanting to play this game.

The only thing worrying me is the culture they will have as a people, please please please don't fall into the trap of making them too stereotypically tribal and savage-like. I got worried when people mentioned them eating other races, isn't that closer to what the Tulnar should be (if any race)? What I'm saying is that I simply hope the race that is based on a the faction of orcs that dedicated their lives to studies of the stars and fate actually is scientifically curious and promote knowledge. The fact that they remind people of wow trolls made me think of the exploring azeroth: kalimdor stereotype debate from last year (I don't know if I'm allowed to put links in the forums but it's easy to google). I guess what I'm trying to say is let the race that were orcs but persuaded knowledge be literate and actually knowledgable.

tldr; They look great, please let them be culturally sophisticated though.
  • Options
    SofaSoftSofaSoft Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I loove the Vek. I've always been a huge fan of the Na'vi people from Avatar and the Vek appearance seems to embody that. Great job to the team behind these projects!
    SofaSoft_Transparent.png
  • Options
    I really like this design! I love the facial angles and the ears and teeth.
    I would think if they are a star gazing race then an upright and proud posture would be more fitting than a slouching one.
    I think I would prefer a different skin colour than blue, maybe a pale green? what if you presented a few options and let the community vote on a skin colour? I’m curious to see what others think of the skin colour I haven’t seen too many comments about it
  • Options
    Either the Vek or the Ren'kai have to get their skin tones adjusted to match the other more, and i hope the skin tone sliders won't have highly saturated and silly colours like blood red/grass green/royal blue.

If your intent is to make the Vek a nocturnal race, that's fine. But then their skin colours should be more pale. Fancy tatoos should be where the colour comes from.

I would welcome big variety on the size and shape of tusks(while i prefer smaller ones or none, because there isn't really a need for the Vek to have strong teeth, like a wolf would need)
    I would be positively surprised if there was a good explanation in the lore for the tusks for both of the Kaivek races.
  • Options
    we'll have to see what the bodies look like, but i am getting big wow troll vibes from these. so far i like the aesthetic.
  • Options
    I think all the races (besides this one) look far too similar to humans.

and even this one, we had the idea the vek would be varied monsters, these just seem like generic trolls, not bad.

But not near as good as like, I dno, imagining wenduag and lann from pathfinder WOTR, mixed with werewolves/tigers/crocodiles/ect.

Simply put, you were portraying the vek like some insane super mutated varied creatures with a lot of options, this is just really disappointing by comparison, but oh well.
  • Options
    EmberstoneEmberstone Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I like that it's got its own vibe. Although it has classic orcish features, it's not a full on generic safe bet design.
    Mmo's usually allow you to pick a race, and then from there everyone in that race looks close to identical. Mainly hairstyles and skin color set you apart. That's why i like the "different kinds" of vek orc models. Broad, chad looking ones and skinny twitchy hatchetmen.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Not at this point in time

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
    First impressions i had was that it looked good, and was excited to see where it leads. Keep it up!
    ftcm67938qg3.gif
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    MindFork wrote: »
    Real orcs are very far from that and representing power, fearlessness, valor and wisdom (the last point of cource not all xD but orcs shamans and chiftains for sure!^^).

Real Orcs... had to chuckle.
  • Options
    ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited February 2022
    I really like the face. It gave me Naa'vi vibe from Avatar. My concern is mostly about the body cause we havent seen it yet. But pls dont give them 3 finger and huge toes like troll from WoW. I find it annoying for shoes and glove transmog. Also I hope there will be a choice of eyes color not just orange/black.

I even tough of making a Shaman one we will see
  • Options
    Gernis_QuestGernis_Quest Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the Vek looks amazing. This races are unique with Niküa too. I love it !
  • Options
    dakotarobodakotarobo Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the current direction of the Vek, I love the warpaint designs/focus and I hope some quests or reading in game goes more indepth for us Roleplayers ((:
    I hope the art team expands on the interesting alien-like features of the Vek like the bulbous eyes and different jewelry colors! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more of their civilizations and art design.
  • Options
    They look great. I am very interested to see the rest of the body. In order to not look like a WoW race of troll then a hunch simply cannot happen. They will need to stand up straight. I also think it's important that the ears not mirror those of the elves. They need to be very distinct from that.