Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

Comments

• Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like these characters. Very detailed and a fantasy character I would expect to see in my gaming world. Great detail and color/theme to them.

As far as the big eyed version, I think this is great also. If the character customization allows this so players can create truly unique characters then I'm all for it. I would say that the first two appear to be like a default look of the race I would anticipate to see in the game. The big eyed one in my mind would maybe be more of the crazy customization that the player could do if they should choose to do so. Or maybe not, maybe there is some offshoot variation of the race in game that reflects this...

Bit of a side tangent... honestly character customization is arguably one of the most important features in a game. If you can create the character really customized to your liking, then you begin to really own that character and immerse yourself and invest into this world and game. I know some don't care to much but I think many more do. I really hope that we get really good customization and I hope its BDO level or better! I mean when you get players who have to take in game selfies and post them everywhere... you know your on the right track with customization.

Thank you guys for all you are doing!! I know your working hard!
  • Options
    its so cool, is original, I imagine that we can change the skin tone in the character creator, right?
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I think its great.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    No looks great.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?
    vpildobtw4c5.jpg
  • Options
    I was going to pick the dwarf at first then I saw these guys and now I have competition. They look amazing, if we can see a model and a few customization then we can get back to this question. As for now, they look GREAT!
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited February 2022

-The design is really unique, looks beautiful.

-Compared to the other races this looks quite cartoony which doesn't really match, I think it would best if you guys were to make the models more realistic by perhaps implementing a higher quality skin texture(if u can use the one's from metahuman I think that would be great) and add on more detail to the face for facial expression.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Vek race?

Being able to customised the length and size of their protruding teeth would be nice.
  • Options
    RofusRofus Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Oh, this is a pleasant surprise! I was expecting the Vek to look just like a basic orc with different color variations and I was gonna play a Vek despite not liking the classic orc look so this pretty much ensures that I'm gonna go for a Vek!

I get a slight WoW troll vibe from the design but the taller skull shape and facial features make them look smarter and more noble maybe? I just hope they won't stand in a complete slouch :*
  • Options

I've seen some more people mentioning it - that Vek and Ren'kai need some more similar features. I know there was a mention of Ren'kai getting skintones of green and red(?) and Vek going towards blue/purple. I think Vek look more alien than Rek'kai right now and not a relative to them. Or like 234Graph said, perhaps implementing a higher quality skin texture?

Vek are wise, they study the stars and are into mathematics. Don't make them look stupid. Let's get away from the Orc are stupid and tribal, they just kill for pleasure.... pls. Same with the hunched back, it might be a nice feature to differ them from the other races, it also might make them look dumb.

There is a lot of different opinions here :) We're all have our view of the Vek we want to play. Many things can be solved through customization, let people make their own style, it makes the race more diverse and personal. Like length of your tusks and ears, color of your skin etc. I always imagined Vek having scarifications of different starsigns on their body, markings of significant times in their past or future. Also, like someone already mentioned. Feathers!! Piercings, bodypaint :)
    1WvWhjiSog77sK0MLqAaxEkIbxqnrHnKO=w1920-h937-iv2
  • Options
    Moriawe wrote: »
    Same with the hunched back, it might be a nice feature to differ them from the other races, it also might make them look dumb.

Yeah, I remember when Guild Wars brought in the Assassin character, and they had them run in a really weird way, sort of squiffy-twisted to one side. It just looked stupid, and detracted a little from the enjoyment of playing the character. I don't see any need for the Vek to be hunched.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I like the way they look, but I hope costumization is limited in a way that they won't look atrocious in the sense of being unrealisicly deformed or neon colored.
  • Options
    The Vek are the most unique thus far and have accomplished breaking the mold from 50 shades of human.

While I love all the races presented, they are not that different from each other, aside from height and mild aesthetics.

Would be nice to see more significant diversity in a high fantasy game.

There's a whole underground world, perhaps there could be a plant inspired race? or a golem inspired race? Perhaps an insect inspired race Beatles? butterflies? and underwater fish race? a beast race? The possibilities are endless.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Amstrong wrote: »
    There's a whole underground world, perhaps there could be a plant inspired race? or a golem inspired race? Perhaps an insect inspired race Beatles? butterflies? and underwater fish race? a beast race? The possibilities are endless.

The Tulnar are the race from the Underrealm. They are a combination of the primary and secondary races that escaped to the underrealm during the fall and have reptilian, mammalian, and humanoid features.

Tulnar wiki
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I've seen it suggested that Ren'Kai and Vek should look more similar. Personally I don't think you need to but If you do plan on doing that, move Ren'Kai closer towards Vek and not the other way around. I'm not the biggest fan of the current iteration of Ren'Kai while I love the Vek design.
  • Options

I love the look and feel of the Vek facial features as well as the unique skintones. It feels as though their bodies themselves are mimicking the cosmos.

I am not pleased with the talk of a hunched and/or contorted stature. I do not feel it is befitting of a race made up of scholars, knowledge seeker, mystics, and oracles. I picture a regal pose to accompany their slender physique.

I am hoping there will be more skin variants, along with many face paints/tattoos with an astrological/celestial style. I'd also like to see some more eye options such as those below, literally starry-eyed, reflecting the universe they study so deeply.
    4fdo40eeluwx.png
    Kinship.png

• Options
    Really love how the IRL facials features have been integrated in the model of the Vek.
    But the hears make it look to much at the troll of WoW.
    I think ,if the Ren'Kai hears where us to match the current size of Vek one , with the tips a bit longer , it could be better. Making it more wide than the current one.
    It would look like bat hears and would fit the over all idea of the Vek living more during night to watch the stars.
  • Options
    I love that they look different than "classic orcs". My only concern is that they are very reminiscent of Warcraft Trolls - which isn't a bad thing to me. So, if y'all are okay with that I am too. I think the art team did a great job.

I do think they should have tribal tattoo/markings options.

• Options
    When I saw the Vek race on stream I got alot of confidence that intrepid will do a great job with the characters/races.
  • Options
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    I like that they are not your bog standard orc, and instead look fresh and original.
    The mesoamerican influence is highly interesting to me, and I enjoy it a lot.

Some of the Vek's teeth make me strongly question how they would possibly eat, drink, love, and live their life without constant suffering.
    Think about them eating an Apple-like fruit, a Steak, drinking from a Waterskin or a Bottle, how is that gonna go for them?

I dislike how much of a hinderance some of these teeth would be to the Vek trying to live their life so strongly, that they would put me off from playing them, while everything else about their design makes me want to play them.

The facial structure of the female Vek looks more similar to a female Human than the male Vek, I don't like that.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race?
    I would like to see more.

In past mesoamerican culture which the Vek are influenced by body paints and costumes that are related to various animals and themes like life, death, the sun, the moon, the stars - were and are quite popular, especially for festivities, and clothing. I would like something like that, but inspired by the Creatures of Verra, so that it fits the setting.
    Example for what I'm talking about
    Another one - Bunny Dance
  • Options
    I wanted to chime in and say I really like the look of the couple in the first photo. They look very much like trolls to me. It appears that there is an issue with the possibility that, as a race, they won't stand straight up. This wouldn't bother me much as long as they have the ability to stand straight up. For instance, if they walk, creep, or run in a hunched manner that might be pretty cool as long as they are able to stand straight up when they are at rest. A hunched over manner during exploration or combat would remind me of an apex predator. Perhaps they run on all fours like a gorilla. Pretty intimidating if you ask me. But, please, I beg you not to do what WoW did; make the males permanently hunched over while the females stood straight as a board. Make them both the same, please.

The second photo reminds me of a Vulcan/Troll mix. Pretty cool.

I like the look of the third photo but it looks more like a vampire with confused teeth to me; the kind of vampires found in 30 Days of Night as apposed to Twilight. I've never quite understood the biological necessity for a fantasy race who have teeth that go every which direction. What kind of diet or lifestyle would these trolls have in which they still need teeth like this? I know tusks on elephants are used as tools; digging, lifting objects, gathering food, stripping bark from trees, and defense, for example. Perhaps offering them something like this would be beneficial. It would also mean they would have biological weapons to fall back on. Changing the bottom tusk-teeth to grow in from the top and hang down might be a pretty cool look, more like a sabretooth tiger or more befitting of the vampiric look.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 2022
    Looks great but also looks like a WoW troll.

Posture.
    I always liked the Trolls in WoW but hated their sloppy posture. By the way Steven was talking It sounds like these are going to be hunched over shamblers like the Falmer. We'll see.
  • Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've wanted to be a Vek since the KS and finally getting to see them - and the fact that they are so damn unique - made me so excited.

My one feedback would be that I wish they were taller but not as tall as the Renkai. I think being an orc should still allow them to tower over most other races, rather than being the same height as the humans and elves.

Super excited to see how things go though, great work IS :)
  • Options
    When considering character development if the Orc race phenotype is derived from nature and cultural habits, I would expect the Vek to embody traits of something like militant mystics with an enlightened yet gritty appearance. If Ren’Kai are characterized as enraged juggernauts with immense power that shows in their stature, musculature, and performance on the battlefield, then how are the Vek shaped by the pursuit of astral knowledge? What is the Vek interpretation of answering the call to protection of the divine order and how has that shaped the habits and rituals that become the foundation of Vek culture? What does that look like? Does form follow function?

On first impression of the Kaivek it seems that tusks on the lower jaw are the only commonality between the two races. I would think there must be a distinct reason besides simply they are both Orcs. They are separate enough to be sub-races after all. Are tusks the essence of Orc? These tusks are certainly menacing and fitting for the intimidating ferocity of the Ren’Kai. I can imagine the tusks serving a crude function on the battlefield and has remained throughout evolution a selective factor. Considering an astrologer’s activities what long term function do ferocious tusks fulfill? Is there a base survival tool use for the tusks, like breaking open hard shelled fruits or ripping carcass, that has propagated their presence in evolution? Could this not be replaced by modern hand tools? Do the Vek deviate from the Ren’Kai with a divergent evolution since there is no longer a function for jutting tusks? My opinion would be that over cycles of evolution meditative prophets would lose their teeth as it is no longer attractive within the culture as a reproductive selection factor, as the race now looks towards features that might enhance the abilities of celestial divination rather than physical intimidation or crude use, like the large eyes to gather light or cranial deformation (an actual Mesoamerican practice). Maybe a slider or various options of head types for cranial deformation would be appropriate.

The personal adornment of the Vek (ear spreaders, piercings, tattoos) give the impression that their bodies participate in a ritual to amplify aptitude of divination, granting wisdom forging a literal relationship with the cosmos. The practice of this kind of attempt to create likeness to the cosmos is reminiscent of beliefs read about in the book, The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion, which “proposed that mankind progresses from magic through religious belief to scientific thought.” I would think that then a Vek character could be customized with enough adornments to accommodate the players’ imagination as to what degree their character intends to participate in this ritual of transformative cosmic relation. This would need robust selection in jewelry, tattoos, body painting, branding, skeletal and dental modifications to promote the body as an oracle bridge between cosmic, otherworldly realms.

The practice of cosmic divination must have a toll on the psyche and body of the Vek. I imagine a dawning awareness of exclusive relation to ancient secrets gives off both a pensive mood (heavy brow, deep eyes) and sense of arrogance. Do the Vek maintain meditative postures for long sessions pondering mysteries? Maybe a rounded shoulder posture at rest is a result of continuous deep contemplation; meanwhile, their active/standing posture is rigidly upright as a practice of aligning their spine to the stars. This degree of flexibility in posture could create a dynamic character (demonstrating the range of deeply contemplative to upward gazing) instead of a boring single, static stance.

Even the Vek architecture expresses a loftiness and ascension which perhaps manifests the culture’s worldview towards a celestial purpose – similar to the feeling of IRL cathedrals. The architecture might have been designed with the Vek considering divine proportions through numerology. As well, I can see the Vek being reproductively selective for body height and limb length of a mate to emulate divine ratios that imply ascension to the heavens, resulting in tall, well proportioned bodies.

I really like the early concept art of the Vek. It had a genuine freshness. Some of the recent released images sadly fall into a dried mud tire rut of design process. I would implore studies of more design iterations to get away from spoiling the race with likeness to other known races in previous games. Here is a chance for genuine creativity that probably requires some blinders to the large stock of established molds and casts. When viewing the mythology of the race with an anthropologic lens there seems like a deep pool from which to pull ideas for further direction.

32e9tbrr8acv.jpg
    mcmqvoo43byo.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Monad wrote: »
    When considering character development if the Orc race phenotype is derived from nature and cultural habits, I would expect the Vek to embody traits of something like militant mystics with an enlightened yet gritty appearance. If Ren’Kai are characterized as enraged juggernauts with immense power that shows in their stature, musculature, and performance on the battlefield, then how are the Vek shaped by the pursuit of astral knowledge? What is the Vek interpretation of answering the call to protection of the divine order and how has that shaped the habits and rituals that become the foundation of Vek culture? What does that look like? Does form follow function?

On first impression of the Kaivek it seems that tusks on the lower jaw are the only commonality between the two races. I would think there must be a distinct reason besides simply they are both Orcs. They are separate enough to be sub-races after all. Are tusks the essence of Orc? These tusks are certainly menacing and fitting for the intimidating ferocity of the Ren’Kai. I can imagine the tusks serving a crude function on the battlefield and has remained throughout evolution a selective factor. Considering an astrologer’s activities what long term function do ferocious tusks fulfill? Is there a base survival tool use for the tusks, like breaking open hard shelled fruits or ripping carcass, that has propagated their presence in evolution? Could this not be replaced by modern hand tools? Do the Vek deviate from the Ren’Kai with a divergent evolution since there is no longer a function for jutting tusks? My opinion would be that over cycles of evolution meditative prophets would lose their teeth as it is no longer attractive within the culture as a reproductive selection factor, as the race now looks towards features that might enhance the abilities of celestial divination rather than physical intimidation or crude use, like the large eyes to gather light or cranial deformation (an actual Mesoamerican practice). Maybe a slider or various options of head types for cranial deformation would be appropriate.

The personal adornment of the Vek (ear spreaders, piercings, tattoos) give the impression that their bodies participate in a ritual to amplify aptitude of divination, granting wisdom forging a literal relationship with the cosmos. The practice of this kind of attempt to create likeness to the cosmos is reminiscent of beliefs read about in the book, The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion, which “proposed that mankind progresses from magic through religious belief to scientific thought.” I would think that then a Vek character could be customized with enough adornments to accommodate the players’ imagination as to what degree their character intends to participate in this ritual of transformative cosmic relation. This would need robust selection in jewelry, tattoos, body painting, branding, skeletal and dental modifications to promote the body as an oracle bridge between cosmic, otherworldly realms.

The practice of cosmic divination must have a toll on the psyche and body of the Vek. I imagine a dawning awareness of exclusive relation to ancient secrets gives off both a pensive mood (heavy brow, deep eyes) and sense of arrogance. Do the Vek maintain meditative postures for long sessions pondering mysteries? Maybe a rounded shoulder posture at rest is a result of continuous deep contemplation; meanwhile, their active/standing posture is rigidly upright as a practice of aligning their spine to the stars. This degree of flexibility in posture could create a dynamic character (demonstrating the range of deeply contemplative to upward gazing) instead of a boring single, static stance.

Even the Vek architecture expresses a loftiness and ascension which perhaps manifests the culture’s worldview towards a celestial purpose – similar to the feeling of IRL cathedrals. The architecture might have been designed with the Vek considering divine proportions through numerology. As well, I can see the Vek being reproductively selective for body height and limb length of a mate to emulate divine ratios that imply ascension to the heavens, resulting in tall, well proportioned bodies.

I really like the early concept art of the Vek. It had a genuine freshness. Some of the recent released images sadly fall into a dried mud tire rut of design process. I would implore studies of more design iterations to get away from spoiling the race with likeness to other known races in previous games. Here is a chance for genuine creativity that probably requires some blinders to the large stock of established molds and casts. When viewing the mythology of the race with an anthropologic lens there seems like a deep pool from which to pull ideas for further direction.

32e9tbrr8acv.jpg
    mcmqvoo43byo.jpg

You certainly put a lot of thought into that post, bravo!

I hope IS considers your reasoning because it sounds solid. I definitely agree about the tusks.

They are pretty much WoW trolls. Every video I've seen covering the dev update says the same thing: 'its a WoW troll!'

Personally they don't look bad but I've already seen WoW trolls so these lack any kind of wow factor, except the big eyed one because its not exactly like the WoW troll.

I feel whomever designed these have been heavily influenced by WoW trolls.

RcsgG8.jpg

Even the same color:

Vek_01.png
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    I'm going against the majority here, I was really disappointed in the look of the Vek. They seem too undead, and the tusks need to be an option to size down to tiny or none at all. Please don't have them hunched, as it's too animalistic and for people who stargaze it would seem they would be more upright (save that for the Tulnar). Not a fan of all the piercings and face paint, so I would like lots of options there. Over all I don't see them as being a cousin to the Ren Kai.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    This is an amazing take on a different type of an orc. Can't wait to see what the entire body looks like. The ears make me think these ores are a mix of bat lol the really pointy long ears I like it I'd love to see a pet or mount of some type of bat like creature to pair with them I would definitely have to pick it at that point. But I agree with some of the others No hunch back please!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This is an amazing take on a different type of an orc. Can't wait to see what the entire body looks like. The ears make me think these ores are a mix of bat lol the really pointy long ears I like it I'd love to see a pet or mount of some type of bat like creature to pair with them I would definitely have to pick it at that point. But I agree with some of the others No hunch back please!

Good point on the ears. WHY are the ears so developed on these guys when the Ren'Kai have little point humanish ears?
    They are star gazers, not star listeners. I feel they need emphasis on their eyes and less on ears and tusks.
  • Options
    For purposes of formal events & roleplay, yours truly would like to see jewelry options for piercings. Bones look like they're probably the cultural norm - but there are different social classes within each society; Would the wealthy wear the same adornments in their piercings, as the lower classes?

• Options
    I like the concept art of the Vek, but I have trouble seeing them as being an offshoot of the Ren'Kai. They look like completely different species, not divergent races. It took me a while to put my finger on what I would want changed, and I think I finally figured it out. There is too much of a difference in the philtrum, the space between the nose and the upper lip. The Vek nose is almost diving into the upper lip, where as the Ren'Kai nose is almost perched between the eyes. If these nose positions could converge a little, I think the Vek and Ren'Kai would look more like they came from a common kin.
  • Options
    I think the heads shown were really cool and different, but until we see their full body and in armour its a bit hard to judge. I like the troll similarities, thinner, paler creatures with big eyes looking at the world & skies through a looking glass then others with thin very distrusting eyes from what they have seen. I like that they aren't physically imposing, but their wit and guile and shown in their models.

Not really anything, I was a bit stunned by the sunken black eyed creepy face but it was very striking and unique which is great.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race? Brilliant reveal, I really liked the model with thin dark eyes, they just look like a very unsettling opponent.

More hairstyle options then the top knots and monk hair styles, but its an initial reveal I'm sure much more is coming. The tattoos, piercing and ear rings of various styles were very cool.

I think you've done a great job here so keep doing what you're doing, I feel you are on the right path here, need to see more but from a concept, amazing.

• Options
    KRissCHu wrote: »
    I very much so love their design, Trolls are the master race of WoW and being able to recreate my main is amazing! :smiley:

The one thing that has me a bit miffed from what was said on the livestream is that they will be very short and hunched on top of it.

I would prefer it if the race on average was taller, specifically about the same height as the Renkai, but you can have them appear shorter because of their hunched posture. The Renkai can still be the biggest and buffest, while the Vek are more slender on average.

Or at the very least give us an option in the character creator to make our Vek characters approach the height of a Renkai through customization.

And pls don't make their butts flat.

I agree on the height. Seems to me that it is fine for them to be shorter than the average Ren'Kai but they should on average be taller than Humans and Elves. It doesn't have to be a lot but it should be noticeable. Like a head and a half or so taller than Humans but a head and a half or so shorter than their Ren'Kai brethren. After all...they are still Orcs.