Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Feedback Request] Ren’Kai Race - Feb 2022

RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

We’d like your feedback regarding the look and feel of the Ren’Kai race. We shared our most recent art of this race during the January Development Update livestream.

As a reminder, your feedback matters to us! For example: during Alpha One, players felt the Dünir race did not meet their expectations of a dwarf. Due to that feedback, we made adjustments to the Dünir race as mentioned in our September Development Update last year.

Ren’Kai Art

REN_M_Close.png

REN_M_Full.png

Ren’Kai race discussion from January Development Update livestream.

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
  • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai race?
  • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Ren'Kai race?
Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Ren’Kai race design.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Thursday, February 24, 2022, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs!

UPDATE: Hi again friends! Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts on the male Ren'kai! We had a blast reading through your thoughts and comments! We created an awesome report with the feedback you gave us for the design team!

Your thoughts and opinions matter to all of us here at Intrepid and we appreciate you all very much! ^_^
community_management.gif

Comments

• Options
    zug zug

me like (generally)

can't say I'm a fan of the vertical pupils tho.

Also, curious what's up with the scales.
    I'm guessing it's some sort of scaring tattoo (something cultural)? I don't exactly imagine orcs being of reptilian race so I guess that's it.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Body hair.

These guys need body hair. A bald orc from the neck down just strikes me as odd. Do they have Ren'Kai waxing salons?

But I think you guys nailed the face of an orc in a way that is both traditional and unique, without leaning to far into them being the "evil, ugly" species, where they are almost rotting from the inside out, and keeping them still "orcish".
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Yeah, actually now that somebody mentioned it, you would imagine orcs to be like super hairy allover their body, like, savage level of body-hair.

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    I think they turned out great. Like how big they are and their proportions. Happy to see that they are not just lightly bigger humans with tusks and different skin options.

The face looks a little silly to me. Not sure what it is. I think it might be the small nose or that he looks kind of like he is cross eyed in the picture.

I really like the "scales" but it's hard for me to tell if it's supposed to be a tattoo or his natural skin. I think it would be cool if that was their natural skin as it reminds me of elephant/rhino skin.
  • Options
    Not really a fan of their skin tone. The model is alright and may look much better once we apply different colors to it, but I preferred some of the earlier concept art.
  • Options
    zedthoughzedthough Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Facial hair. The most important topic. Wide variety of beards, mustaches, goatees.

Let our Orcs be hairy, even better would be body hair aswell. Let us represent the beefy best boys
  • Options
    BoncleBoncle Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they look great, I'm just hoping we can make the orcs hunchback through the character creator.
  • Options
    I think Renkai need more unique orc features, as they are they seem to me very strong humans just...
  • Options
    I feel this Race is great however I do agree with some of the comments on a bit of body hair or at least an optional feature during character creation.
  • Options
    chaoko954chaoko954 Member, Alpha One
    I want to see what variations you guys are going to allow. The different ear and tusk types are going to let me make a better call here, but the body dimensions are on point. Great job team
    Body hair! haha others have said that, if it's feasible to add that would be great.
  • Options
    I don't care for the vertical pupils
  • Options
    This is an awesome Orc. I would like to see more before passing judgement
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like it! good job. I agree that some body hair would look good, and being able to customize the face a bit more like making the fangs bigger
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I like the build. But i would be expecting more of a hairy/beast like body with more cuts and bruises, maybe slightly dirty looking too.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    The vertical eyes look a bit silly to me. Especially with the red colour. They look either like corrupted or some evil primitive NPC. I would give them normal eyes. Maybe more hair could be added. On the other hand the posture is great.
  • Options
    NightHawk1012NightHawk1012 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Really like the idea and design behind this race. the somewhat scaly appearance and the sheer body size really well made and accurate to what i imagined them to be like as well.
  • Options
    KRissCHuKRissCHu Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Honestly out of everything we have seen so far, you have nailed the Renkai.

The legs seem a bit off, thickness wise, in comparison to the arms, a bit more symmetry there would be good...maybe give their butts a bit more meat?

Overall I am very satisfied with their look. Only thing I would request really is to let us make sexy ladies from this race, but I am sure that big buff dommy momies have already been planned for the character creator. :lol:

Press forward!
  • Options
    Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    The Ren'kai model seem kinda blah, it's big, it's an orc, it looks muscular and strong but it's not putting out that wow factor at all.
  • Options
    Re: Hairy vs not hairy, give us sliders! I could see hairy, but I kind of like the less hairy look it has now.

My issues here are the eyes, the color is very bold and dull and I don't like the pupil shape unless it's an option of several.

The cheek lines and bridge beneath the nose is also a bit too exaggerated, looks a little like a Who from Whoville. The nose could drop down a little bit I think.
  • Options
    There's something off with the head, feels like it's just throwed upon torso without any adjusting and it maybe feels a bit small or smth... i can't really tell exactly what it is but it just seems odd

I like Ren'Kai approach and making them somewhat more "civilized" instead of classic savagery brute (I really see some WoW inspiration and i like that direction)
  • Options
    I like the path we're on but i feel like they look a little too much like "uncanny valley human" rather than whole different race, i personally would like to see a little more bestial-esque traits (not to the level of Tulnar of course), but maybe bigger tusks, darker sclera similiar to the vek counterparts, more animalistic nose, etc... maybe options for slight skin patterns ?
  • Options
    WuqingYeWuqingYe Member
    edited February 2022
    I love the scale-ish looking skin! Very fun and different. Personally, could use a bit more teeth showing! Looks too humanish right now with the lower half of the face. IDK maybe I'm too used to seeing blocky WoW orcs haha it just seems like most Orcs I see in games and art look more menacing and "brutish", like, I don't wanna mess with that guy. This proud Orc here looks like he wants to bake me a cake. That's fine too as I like cake, but I want my Orc to smash cake. SMASH

There's also something to be said about putting your OWN Intrepid stamp on your races :) so maybe moving away from the typical "brutish" Orc would ultimately be preferable!
  • Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What I dislike:
    Hands are a bit too large, unless you're leaning into the troll-ish aesthetic.

What I like:
    Red eyes, slit pupils
    Jagged ears
    Tusks
    Stunted nose, big space between nose and mouth
    Very big
    Partially scaled skin
    Leathery overall look of the skin
    As muscular as you'd expect warmongering orcs to be

What I neutral:
    Arm/hand proportions give the impression of a troll.
  • Options
    cubituscubitus Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited February 2022
    WuqingYe wrote: »
    ...This proud Orc here looks like he wants to bake me a cake. That's fine too as I like cake, but I want my Orc to smash cake. SMASH

I agree with the statement above! In addition I would like to add:
    • The current art direction is looking good in terms of how enormous they look!
    • Then the build looks too much like a juiced up bodybuilder with a gnarly face. I would prefer it to be less human-like and more orcish. The overall posture, anatomy ratios and skin color are the most disturbing facets.
    • During the update stream I was impressed with the overall quality and direction, but upon deeper analysis I found the previously mentioned things.
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited February 2022
    I also love the art direction here, unlike the human race it has a lot of facial detail and the only two things I think you can improve upon this one is the eyebrows as it looks stiff & as though it's been glued to the brow bone rather than seperate hair strands coming out from individually pores AND as well as adding on a higher quality skin texture and that's it for me. Can't wait for the final phase
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    9/10

The hand to head ratio seems a little off. Too small head, too big hands. Not by a lot necessarily. Minor tweaks.

I like the scales. I would also like to see body hair options, and more of the skin color palette before I make further judgment.
  • Options
    Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the stature of this race. I do prefer the green, other colored pigments but that's personal taste. Unsure if it would drastically change their lore or design, but my first thought is they might look nice with some of their bones protruding like the backs of their elbows or maybe spikes around their shoulders/collarbone, and hands/feet. They look tough and well put together as is though so maybe a customizable option?
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Options
    Like the others said, it needs body hair.

To be more precise it is either body hair or scales, both would look weird. But if you go for scales it should be more accentuated, right now it looks like a tatoo. BUT, a reptilian look would be weird on an orc.
    So in my opinion body hair is the best option.

For the face it is very good, the only thing that seems a bit off is the vertical pupils, it is more of a reptilian feature to me, like the scales.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks pretty good.
    Almost more like a Neanderthal than an Orc.