Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Feedback Request] Ren’Kai Race - Feb 2022

Comments

• Options
    I think it is extremely important to allow every race to have sliders within range of a normal human skull shape; from diameter (no ZIKA VIRUS BABY HEADS) to forehead tallness to slope of forehead and eyebrow bone protrusion to cheeks and chin shape to neck height/width to NOSE style. No one really wants to play an UGLY over exaggerated sloped nose character like a wicked witch. If you want people to play EVERY race, then you need to allow us more freedom to create beautiful characters no matter what race. Don't confine the SHAPES of the skulls to races, just allow the outward appearance differences to be seen, such as body height/shape, skin color, ear shape, tusks etc. DOING IT THIS WAY WILL ALSO SAVE YOUR ARTISTS TIME. Use the SAME base model "human head shapes" for every race and then add the super enhanced extra features ontop. So we can always scale a character down to a "normal hume look" But there will be obvious differences with every race. Then ontop of the base scale allow the options for certain races to have extra large or small noses or eyes and extra large Jaws/tusks/horns/teeth and eyebrow bones ETC ASWELL. - From someone who wanted to play VEK but is currently DISGUSTED by the option.
    PS. Side profiles of noses never seem to get it right. There are "bumps" in the bridges of some noses and we need to be able to scale this bump up or down just like the tip of the nose and the length and width. Nose shape and eye shape are going to need every extreme possible considering how great of graphics your game will have.
    FFXI 75 cap 2003-2010. Diabolos Server. Amaeru/Amaera. 9 jobs to 75: WHM BLM RDM THF WAR DRK DRG BRD. SAM60 SMN60 PLD60. NIN37 MNK 37. Gilgamesh: Truther DNC75. Wish I got to play BLU!
  • Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? - I like that they are big and buff. Love the Orcs of WoW and I want these to be very similar.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why? - in this particular model I think the face looks silly. Doesn’t seem vicious or fierce enough. But, my understanding is your character builder will be very advanced so I guess we will be able to make them more vicious and fierce looking.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai race? - o particular thoughts.
    Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Ren'Kai race? - body and face tattoos and war paints, enlarged teeth, back hunch slider, Battle scars
  • Options
    Gh0stfaceGh0stface Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This looks more like a big human rather than orcish. Overall it just kinda feels neutral and meh. If its going to be more of a bestial race then I would lean into that. Right now it kind of just looks like a neanderthal with odd skin coloring. I think larger tusks and a more pronounced/distinct skin color would go a long way to bringing out a little more uniqueness to the race. I think having a close to human skin color is doing the race no favors. All that being said I dont mind the eyes as others seem to do because of my above points, they bring uniqueness and more of a distinct vibe.
  • Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In general I really like the models and direction for the Renkai and I'm super excited to see their animations.

There are however a few small things that turn me off. Firstly the nose seems almost goblin in appearance, not alot of length to it and is quite pointed, causing the philtrum to look a little overstretched when compared to the concept art. I also think the lips (bottom lip more so) are somewhat subdued compared to the concept art leaving the mouth looking a little flat, particularly when making way for the protruding tusks.

Regarding the body, I'd really like to see customisation options for body hair and also the option to increase muscle size, particularly of the calfs and quadriceps as the concept art of the red / green Renkai had quite pronounced leg muscles.

Ofcourse all of this feedback is subject to seeing further passes and iterations, plus the character customisation editor will play a huge part in the overall look of the characters, these are just my opinions and I don't want anyone to take offense to the above ❤️
  • Options
    I like the first pass here. Sort of a Neanderthal/Orc/Bat hybrid going on. It's a good starting point...of course, I would love to see some green skin (waaahhh) options. I like the slit pupils...to me, it gives this model a bit more of a primal feel.
  • Options
    ZephiriusZephirius Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The face on this model reminds me of a bat and the overall dimensions from top to bottom looks like a beefy human. The lips also look like fat human lips; they should be wider to accommodate the tusks. Beyond that it's a little hard to say due to not seeing what other customization options Intrepid will give us.
  • Options
    Very happy with the most recent character design art. Things that I'd like to see as part of the character customization:

1. Tusk customization - I believe this was mentioned indirectly in the livestream as being present, but still
    2. Skin tone - wouldn't mind having a wider color range for skin tone and hue than a typical humanoid (greens, purples, blues, etc.)
    3. Body hair - Needs some
  • Options
    I feel the face could be reworked. The face lines are too fine to go along with such a body / to fit with the general body fat.
    Also I don't like the shrinked nose. for the same reason.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Chonky. Like it! Wonder how large can the tusks get in the creator, I would like to see them with much bigger tusks.
    I can't quite put my finger on it but the face looks a bit soft and unthreatening for an orc.

Also as some have already mentioned Hair, would love to see lots of body hair poking out of the armor
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    I love their size and especially the shape that was brought into the hands and wrists! I think the nose is a bit odd. I'd like to see more colored skin, similar to the Vek, but perhaps a warmer tone with bright reds. Also, bigger tusks!
  • Options
    The orc race has always been an interest in how they look. Most games view orcs to look one way and they seem to copy each other when it comes to this. A fresh take and design is really nice to encounter. The ear design being smaller and more human took me by surprise in a good way. The lower arms being bigger instead of narrowing down so quickly is nice as well. Most developers tend to "relax" on some race designs and want to push to "give it their all". For the male orcs, i think a good amount of body hair options would great within reason.
    One great thing i suggest is body scaling in character customization. I think having the option to scale muscle tone would be amazing and I suggest that because of UE5.
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited February 2022
    I like the path we're on but i feel like they look a little too much like "uncanny valley human" rather than whole different race, i personally would like to see a little more bestial-esque traits (not to the level of Tulnar of course), but maybe bigger tusks, darker sclera similiar to the vek counterparts, more animalistic nose, etc... maybe options for slight skin patterns ?
    I'm seriously not getting the uncanny valley vibe from these guys at all. They look great and pretty unique as orcs go. I definitely don't want another Warcraft or Warhammer orc. I want an Ashes of Creation orc. Given how these guys have the whole samurai and dragon thing going for them, there isn't anything about this I would change, honestly. I would expect them to have refinement and intelligence in Ashes and not want to beat everything to death with a stick in front of a campfire. These character models certainly have that.

The biggest comment I see people wanting here is body hair, and that's fine as an option, though I personally feel it's not needed. The slit pupils are cool and I wouldn't change that. This is a more unique take on orcs than I've seen lately in the fantasy genre and it's well done. When people not playing the game see these guys, they're going to know what game they're from and not confuse them with other titles.

Intrepid have said that reds and greens will be skin color choices also.
    Keep going guys, it's turning out great.

• Options
    Gh0stface wrote: »
    This looks more like a big human rather than orcish. Overall it just kinda feels neutral and meh. If its going to be more of a bestial race then I would lean into that. Right now it kind of just looks like a neanderthal with odd skin coloring. I think larger tusks and a more pronounced/distinct skin color would go a long way to bringing out a little more uniqueness to the race. I think having a close to human skin color is doing the race no favors. All that being said I dont mind the eyes as others seem to do because of my above points, they bring uniqueness and more of a distinct vibe.

Bro what about that face screams human to you?
  • Options
    BelegBeleg Member, Alpha One
    It'd be fascinating if it turns out Ren'kai are more closely linked to reptiles (hence the scales - I assume they are scales anyway), which would explain the lack of body hair.

The head looks slightly too small for the body, and there's something about the thickness of the legs on such a unit that looks disproportionate.
    I'd also, maybe, try for more unnatural skin colour variations (perhaps more to the greyish- greenish direction, if the aforementioned scales are actually scales).

I like the overall design though and there's this sense of inhumanity about it: the size, the facial structure, the tusks ofc, the somewhat off proportions of the torso, the ridiculous musculature.
  • Options
    Rasper NorRasper Nor Member
    edited February 2022
    I really like it! However, I think the number of "bland orc" comments indicate that you are going to need to lean a lot harder into the dragon characteristics. I like that the nose being dragon-like is subtle, and that it separates the design from a reptilian nose which would look different, and I think a lot of the complaints about it are missing what it's supposed to be. I do think it being right up against the eyes and the LONG space to the upper lip work against the goal, because dragon nostrils are much more close to the lips than their eyes. Granted it's because they have a snout, but it throws the look for me a little.

I want to suggest adding scales to the face, but I think it will be hard not to look like a copycat of Star Trek to the quick and casual observer. Maybe some dragon head bone structures could be helpful? But I admit that would be hard to do without looking too heavy-handed.

I like the thick torso and arms because it feels very draconic to me.

Personally, I think the orc archetype is a great template for the dragon-worshipper race to go on top of, it's nice to see things that are creative departures from "classic" fantasy. :smiley:
  • Options
    LS96LS96 Member
    edited February 2022
    Overall, I like it.

I like their powerful look but I also feel that maybe they could end up looking too brute-ish? I don't want them to look unintelligent and I'd like to be able to customize the size of their muscles. To have the option to create an orc that is slimmer than this one. Not slender or anything but a bit toned down in size and without hulking forearms -- One that could "dance" with a blade, an artist.

I'd like there to be a balance between sophistication/intelligence and bruteness.

I'm not so sure about the vertically-shaped pupils and he does look a little bit cross-eyed.
    Like others have said, more body hair might be nice, at least for there to be an option.

Keep up the good work!

• Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Looks pretty great, typical orc visuals. I’m not a huge fan of the scaled texture on the skin but I don’t think it looks bad, just different. In terms of customization options I would like to see sliders for height, width, muscle, various body hair, hair length etc.(within reason of course). Also a selection skin tones, scale/skin patterns(using a random seed of some sort for skin/scale patterns would be super cool). Honestly every single race needs as many options and sliders as possible, so long as the options are consistent with the artstyle. If there’s one thing people love it’s customizing their characters so the better it’s done the better the game will do.
  • Options
    You don't have to follow traditional orcs like Warhammer or D&D. I like that you aren't scared of trying to put your own touches on an orc - but It's just not orcy enough for me.

It looks like a human half orc or a hairless bugbear. Where what I want is a full orc. It will depend on how the model looks like with armor on, but I imagine with the camera zoomed out it will just look like a large human.

I think moving away from tans and brown for skin tone to more greys, blues, greens, reds, or purples would help a lot.
    Making it more monster and less human.

I don't know what you plan for tusk customization but I think larger tusks would also help. They aren't even going to be noticeable in game that small.

For the eyes I don't know why everyone is fixated on them. I didn't even notice until it was pointed out. I'm never going to notice them in game. Either way is a fine choice.

• Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    all in all looking pretty good.... but there's something about the wrists and hands.... they just don't feel proportionate...
  • Options
    I'm not sure where you're going with the Ren'kai, but I really do love the whole brutish, tribal, almost feral look. I agree with another in saying maybe a posture slider, as well as body hair. As for body proportions, his limbs feel very blocky, almost like he doesn't have joints, and his fingers seem a bit thin for such a big boi. Honestly, I'm looking for that almost beastial look, i.e. hairier, bulkier, tusky-er, kinda like a caveman on steroids that's acting like a boar. You guys have the reins, but that's my two cents.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited February 2022
    Missfit wrote: »
    so you Absolutely MUST include a lower end spectrum of Female Ren'kai that almost look like humans, but if you took their clothes off, you would notice she is far more muscular.

You realise that Ren'Kai are Orcs and not Humans, right? If you can make a Ren'kai look like a Human, then what the hell's the point of rolling a Ren'Kai?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Looks great! Personally, I find the forearms and hands a bit big compared to the rest of the body (or the legs a bit small).
    Otherwise it just nails the orc appearance, I love how savage it looks!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »
    so you Absolutely MUST include a lower end spectrum of Female Ren'kai that almost look like humans, but if you took their clothes off, you would notice she is far more muscular.

You realise that Ren'Kai are Orcs and not Humans, right? If you can make a Ren'kai look like a Human, then what the hell's the point of rolling a Ren'Kai?

Yeah I don't want to see any of this type of BS in the image below, we've seen from some other games for sure. Let the Ren'kai women be big, buff and somewhat brutish looking too, if the men are.
    9ZFPinG.jpeg
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »

Yeah I don't want to see any of this type of BS in the image below, we've seen from some other games for sure. Let the Ren'kai women be big, buff and somewhat brutish looking too, if the men are.
    9ZFPinG.jpeg

Having Star Trek TOS flashbacks now..... Hello Orion slave girl.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I generally like how the Ren'Kai turned out, they look great, my only few concerns are - the head is too small, generally speaking, there should be around 7-8 heads in a normal body, and it looks like there is not that many heads in the body of Ren'Kai, in my opinion, if they are big boys, they need to be big boys everywhere, including the head, also, not a big fan of vertical pupils, I think humanlike pupils would suite them better. But overall, great job intrepid!
  • Options
    NashtyNashty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Needs hair or scales. Face is not fearsome at all. I hope there are some decent variations. Eyes look off too. This one needs the most revision
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I love it! The Ren'kai are quickly shaping up to be my surprise favorite race. I especially like the skin. It almost has a hide-like appearance and it's great.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Maybe it's just this model, but the facial features seem a bit off compared to the rest of the model. Specifically the lower half of the face seem to be pulled too long while the eye/nose/tusks are too small.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai race?
    Lady Ren'Kai?

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Ren'Kai race?
    I would like a green to red slider, tusk/fang options, and options for full body as well as face scars.
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think this race is shaping up great!

This is really close to what I want with this race. Though looking at some of the previous feedback I do agree hair or something, maybe the skin color slightly green. Its looking really and is really close. It does need to lean a bit more Orcish somehow in my opinion.
  • Options
    This will be the race i play.
    It looks Dope man B)
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    The body shape and size of the orc.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Yes, the scarring on the skin is interesting but i suggest a more tribal pattern. Even in cultures we have in the real world, there are ceremonies and meanings to the scarring, no one is getting checkerboard. If your trying to make it look reptilian the only thing that makes it distinguish characters of a a reptiles are the eyes. You'd be better off making the skin look jagged like reptile skin if you can spare the polygons.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Ren'Kai race?
    The tribal scarring tattoo's (Not ink, scarring, when you purposefully cut the skin to scar in a pattern.)
    Maybe piercings, from nose to ears to eyebrows or even lip.