Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Feedback Request] Ren’Kai Race - Feb 2022

Comments

• Options
    The body type and face seem pretty cool, will we have better options for skin color and tattoos?
  • Options
    • Brute proportions and scaly skin texture look good.
    • Would like to see more features like the scaly skin that are uniquely beastly/monster to the Ren'Kai to distinguish them more from barbarian humans in many games. (Ex, furs, tusks, postures)
  • Options
    Love there looks, but that nose is just wrong. An orc is close to an animal and would need a nose to sniff out there targets, this one look like it got is face remodeled after a fight with an minotaur. I vote for bigger and flatter noses
  • Options
    -Nyx--Nyx- Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    vjn004abqerd.jpg

I am not a fan of the Popeye forearms, cankels and Giant hobbit feat. I had expected them to be large and imposing but a bit more elegant, due to the "Honor. Power. Tranquility. Through staying centered their power only grows. The Ren'Kai believe in ultimate focus and controlling their immense power" bit. I was picturing giant warriors in the garden so to speak well balanced in thought and body. Giants comparatively but martial artists not hulking WoW barbarians dwelling in huts. The Vek are amazeballs and suit their architecture, I'm not sure I picture these guys living in their architecture. The face is a bit off the upper lip too long or the nose too short, it all feels a bit scrunched up around the eyes. Bigger tusks would be neat.
    , cheers
    suiXGLr.png

• Options
    I think they could be a little bit wider, with a lot fuller muscle bellies, it'd add to the Orcish look, if that's what you're looking for.
  • Options
    I love the ... Traditional... Skin scarring? It could just be their natural skin too.
    I'm not sure what to call it but it looks cool.
    Glad to see the Orc arent just muscly off colored humans it was a personal concern but I'm glad they turned out this way.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    These were exactly what i was expecting. A+
  • Options
    Looks tall and powerful just how they should 10/10
  • Options
    MindForkMindFork Member
    edited February 2022
    Am not really sure, need more pictures of different variations... like this it looks like ugly human on steroids with no intelligence in the eyes.
    1) I hope the skin can be painted to more classic orc colors, green in example.
    2) I hope that also smaller sizes will be available with less muscles and more style.
    3) I don't like to compare with another games, but I really like how Blizzards made orc faces - grunt, Thrall, Regar, Grom Hellscream... If something like this could be archived I would be happy.
  • Options
    Lavitz SlambertLavitz Slambert Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Again, here I see a lot of similarity to the specific types of orcs from WoW. *insert encouragement to avoid anything pertaining to that game*

The face may be too…”sweet”? But maybe it’s the T-pose. However I do like that they have been set to be very tall. Sometimes you need a half-giant. That’s probably my favorite aspect.
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I really like the unique differences between the RenKai and Vek. You guys hit the mark on this! I usually hate Orcs, but even though I wont be playing an Orc, you guys really did a great job on this. The Features give that fierce strong look with all kinds of personality. I'm really looking forward to seeing the variety of customizations available to bring even further uniqueness.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Other than it being an Orc ;P No. Visuals/model are amazing.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai race?
    Great presentation and surprise to see these races.
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    captivatedcaptivated Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am not the biggest fan of the Ren'Kai atm, and its because they are not recognizable as "Orcs". They look more like Hobgoblins or something to me. It's prolly best for you guys to stick with the faces to a more classic fantasy orc design. I know you prolly want to let em look differnt to WoW Orcs or Tolkien Orcs, but they are established designs the same way as the dwarfs are and you nailed it with the dunir by not going new ways but rather sticked with the traditional design. You guys do overall an amazing job! Awesome I really love your work.
  • Options
    Personally I like this desing and I'm curious to see what kind of stature Ren'Kai will have.

I would have liked to see a green variation of this design. I wonder what are those square patterns on his skin? The tusks could be a little bit bigger.
  • Options
    Im leaning towards a melee fighter Ren'Kai and I like the direction in size and overall proportions but biggest piece of feedback I can give is lack of identity/pop to the face. They look baby-faced/human/flat atm. Perhaps harsher or more pronounced facial features would make them more visually appealing AND more distinct from other races. I am a fan of both warhammer and warcraft orcs with the former leaning more into an ape-like brutal feel and warcraft slightly more dignified but very expressive and exaggerated features. Here two examples.

ek7hu3gbb1wc.jpg
    w5zrgp072b45.jpg
  • Options
    i hope we get to change the skin colour to a few options. i would like a blue/ green option that is not the other orc race. They also said these orcs are very tall, so i am afraid they will be too tall. bigger characters are easier to target.
  • Options
    I like the face features esp the ears and the skin fold going down from the nose !
    I would feel a different skin tone and more hair to make them less human looking
    Maybe really pale or dark or deep green or something or some mottled tones I’m not too sure
  • Options
    EmberstoneEmberstone Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I like the way it looks and has orc-like features, but still completely different from the vek orcs.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    The neck muscles look extremely bulky. It's possible to look like that, but it feels off to me.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Ren’Kai race?
    First impressions were cool pattern on the skin. Hopefully customizable.
    ftcm67938qg3.gif
  • Options
    I'd like to see them have more/any body hair.

Like most of your models you guys really skimped on the booty and the back of the legs as far as tone goes. Minor thing for sure but def would be packing a badonk with all that muscle.
  • Options
    Overall I love the model, however the thing that I feel is a little off/needs another pass over is the lips. I don't like how the top lip is fuller then the bottom. It should be the other way around with a big full bottom lip thats compensating for the tusks coming out and a tinner top lip.

Otherwise I really like the direction. I hope the model movement really emphasis the strength and size of the Ren'kai. Like cutting a tree down, I want to go full barbarian berserker winging at that tree with my axe.
  • Options
    Gernis_QuestGernis_Quest Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Contra: Nose and Skin Color

Pro: The Face looks brutal and a lot of muscles

We need more Horn types and Hairs. Looks really good
    Dont let them walk like a Human.
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    I think the model is great but the skin color ruins the whole thing for me.

I am sure he is a sweetheart and maybe I am just shallow, I can't see past the fact that the orc is not green.
  • Options
    I love the physique and the general silhouette.

I hate the pig-like noses.

I would request (the option for) larger tusks.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    PlatePlate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    So far the Ren Kai have a good base model. There are a few key components I would like to see.

1. The upper lip be more of a convex shape than a concave. With striations along the upper lip.
    2. The short nose is cool but I think if we see it presented in more of a small irregular rounded mound with two slits it will bring more of a fierce presence.
    3. Skin. Skins is super important and shade of the orc really dictates the type of orc. I like the yellowish hue to orcs as they are a nice change to the normal green. Given that varying shades of green would look very cool as well. Skin blotches, wrinkles, scratching and scoring of the skin could really enhance the realism. Texture really makes the skin shine.
    4. Hair. Body hair is a great addition and the amount of body hair can be a good thing or a bad thing. You can go from natural to gorilla really fast here. This paired with the muscles makes them look more primate. I would tread lightly in this category since orcs typically aren't hairy beasts.
    5. Muscle and stature. So far I love the size and Gerth. I think you can't time them up more and take away the hulk feet. Appropriate ankle, calves, quads, hamstrings should transition well up to the core and torso. Even though they are strong and hulking creatures I would still like to see some athleticism to their nature. Toning the muscle really catapults the image of fitness and prowess. Remember they are great warriors so make this shine in their genetics.

Like I said great framework thus far, after a few randotions I feel you guys will mail the Ren Kai as you have mailed the other races. Great job team 👍
  • Options
    dakotarobodakotarobo Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As of this stream, Ren'Kai will definitely be my race. Ren'Kai bard/cleric with wardrums or a horn of some sort is my current projection, I hope it'll be possible!
    That being said, being most interested in this race, +1 +1 on the more body hair. Unless there's some reason for these absolute units to have less hair (lizard/repitilian base?), they would indulge that bestial itch by having just a bit more hair in places like the chest, back, arms.. etc. Not so much ape though, keep them far away from feeling like an ape!
    Another bit I would request is war paint. Sloppier warpaint compared to the Vek, like the Vikings!
  • Options
    This looks really Good. Big. Beefy. Strong Orky Boi. I am curious what the reasoning is for the eyes and the scales are. It seems like you are adding a Reptilian / Draconic element to them visually to the Orcs, So I'm curious as to the lore there. I don't really have complaints about current design here so I'll just list what I hope to see from Orcs in the Future.

- Beards that Cover the Upper Lip
    Just a personal gripe, but beards without the upper lip part always look a little off, But I can live without this
    - More Skin tones - Orca have always had a wide variety of skin tones from the common green, to grey, to the red/tan that we are seeing here, just more options.
    - Fem Orcs - Don't Hold Back. Go full "Muscle Waifu" here. The whole stereotype of Orcs is they are physical powerhouses of Muscle and Rage. Make the Girls no different. If players want a more dainty Princess fem character; they won't be playing orcs anyway. I want Red Sonya/Ghislaine for my Orc, not Princess Peach.

Keep Up the Good work
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like this well enough, assuming we can tone down the amount of muscle in the character creator. I'd like to make a very tall and (relatively) skinny Ren'kai as a Mage. It's okay if he's still beefy compared to other races, as long as he isn't Mr. Universe.

The facial features are fine. Very brutish. I very much like the ears and think they are an improvement over previous concept art. In this new model the horizontal point of the ears make it look more like the Vek and less like the elves, showing more of a shared Kaivek origin.

My favorite bit is the eyes. If I can make a character with red eyes like that, I will be extremely happy.

The one thing the most disappointing is the skin tone. I thought having the red/green options in the old concept art made them more distinct. The new Vek were shown with a blue/purple skin tone range which I thought was also nicely distinctive; between those two it sets the Kaivek apart from the other humanoid races, and also made each one distinct from each other. I don't like the human/Caucasian skin tone shown on this model. It looks too human.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Really cool looking ... My boyfriend is gonna main one and he loved how they look!
    pzzzk4y2nv58.png
  • Options
    As mentioned before, I also think that the head feels a bit small.
    Also I would make the jaw bigger and wider with much bigger tusk options.

And in my opinion the most important thing is to avoid human-like skin colours totally. With that and a covered head they look like just a giant. I would go with green, red or gray skin colour palette but choose only one OR more but than with lore behind the different skin colours.
  • Options
    WarPotatoWarPotato Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This orc has a good base to build from. Overall model of the body has very good proportions and should definitely be kept.

I'm sure that there will be more customization when it comes to the skin color, but I personally don't really care for the tan orc look.

My main issue currently is that it looks too reptilian. I'm not much of a fan of the scales all over the body (more body hair like others have mentioned would be nice), the vertical pupils are a bit jarring to me, and the tusks look too small (though I'm sure that will also be customizable).
  • Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    If I was not so sold on the Empyrean designs I would be making a Ren'kai.

I like their build and I can see how their faces could be tweaked to look more beastial or look more "civilized" by human standards. I enjoy it that they are not Warhammer or Warcraft orcs but something different.

I would say it would be cool if the scales could be designed with different shapes, making them pop out more

Scales also would be cool if you could make them more pronounced and select the different areas they can pop up.

The reptilian eyes are amazing because it is a unique take on the orcs and make them have that predatory look.

Give the player a wide variety of tusks and even small tusks and I would be happy.

I enjoy that the colors can range from a more human pink to a red all the way to a green.
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels