Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Feedback Request] Hairstyles in Character Creator

Comments

• Options
    2wi9qcuubf6h.jpg
    An amazing like the one i showed would be amazing, this type of hairstyle presents an atmosphere of nobility, like something a duchess would use! this type of dignified hairstyles would be amazing with all the political stuff that would happen in game!
  • Options
    BeeperBeeper Member
    edited April 2022
    1. Bald. Or should I say bald styles that looks like an actual bald head, instead of just the lack of hair. Some with a bit of shine, or others with a bit of stubble.
    2. Good looking textures underneath shaved parts of the hair style.
    3. Less anime and fantastical looking styles, more realistic looking hair styles.
    4. Being able to colors different parts of the hair and beard. Blending different colors in an ombre style is really cool. If I recall the character creator for Lost Ark, or maybe it was New World, did this really freaking well.
  • Options
    I would love to see some hairstyles for the guys in the game that many refers to Japanese hair/anime hair. Final fantasy xiv does this type of hairstyles very well. Another nice concept of the hairs they do is that the hair moves abit when u move ur character and when there is wind in the game. The hair layers of this hairstyles gives a messy and some spiky look and i love to chose this hairstyles when i make a character.

Anime_Hairstyle.jpg

anime_hairsyul.jpg

And here is some other hairstyles i would like to see in the game ^^

female_hair_style_1.jpg

Female_hairstyle_3.jpg

female_hair_style_2.jpg

Female_hairstyle_4.jpg

Male_haiir_3.jpg

Male_pic_1.jpg

male_pic_2.jpg

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are so many things I want for hair style. But what I really want is hair styles that are able to look good both long and short.

You see, I like 'aging' my hair over time when the beauty parlor is easily accessible. Sometimes I like having pixie cuts, and sometimes I like overgrowing them. Sometimes shorter dreads, sometimes longer bobs and pony tails at varying lengths and angles. The more styles we have that can look both long and short, curly and straight, the better. It's one of BDO's main limitations I think Ashes could blow out of the water with the tech they showed last time.

Over all there are some good long hair options in posts above me but I'd really like more than just a pixie cut or bob that looks good. side cuts, layered cuts, a bob that doesnt look like it was cut with a bucket, things like that. I'd love male and females to have access to all options as well. It's 2022. Some guys like long hair and some girls like short cuts. Heck can you give me a good skin mowhawk that can vary in short and long curly and straight?

Also I will once again express how greatly I want different color gradients to do natural highlights and multicolor dye jobs on all hair colors. Split dyes, layered tip dyes, highlights, fades and the like are all appreciated color gradient options.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Need Viking beards that are braided with metal norse runes for the kaelar. Please no scruff mc duff beards for dah humanz(also wolf skin armor, just saying)
  • Options
    I would love to see many different hairstyles choices, from current trends to past popular trends, from many cultures all with slider options shown. Maybe even an option to combine hairstyles sections like the blend tool does for bodies.

Also I would really really love many different beard shape options as well, sliders for making it wider or thinner at different points like high on the cheek line, the jaw line, the chin line and then the bottom of the beard to make different shapes. All within reason of course.

Give them bounds perhaps so they fit within armour or spill out in specific gaps, you could possibly make them bend against armour too but that seems cpu intensive with so many players with different beard/hair lengths. Clipping in general isnt ideal.

Also scars in your eyebrows from being cut there, have a toggle to make it split the eyebrow hair or not.

Very keen to see the result, the first public iteration of the character creator is amazing!! We just want more options haha ^_^

Cheers!
  • Options
    234Graph234Graph Member
    edited May 2022
    n6xghbybyywj.jpg
    rq65g96x1168.jpg
    cq21xb59cske.jpg
    9pqfqv8vysbp.jpg
    bylpfipe3o0s.jpg
    ad2cbq4utk80.jpg
    fw2zzp4hb2u8.jpg
    egp23usvh6qd.jpg
    grtugqbdxsdu.jpg
    yop9ux2cc5n6.jpg
    itx9sniqvdyd.jpg
    ml5j7fbiwrwr.jpg
    2bxv2swg9n1y.jpg
    ibomsntriysz.jpg

We're extremely early on this so I understand the current lack of variety in hairstyles, but it's still a negative; so here are hairstyles I think would make a good addition against that.

0. Faded-Afro bun
    1.Waves/360 waves(this would be difficult to create I think, but im sure you can do it)
    2. A regular short fade
    3.Viking breads
    4.African/Box braids
    5.Cornrows
    6.Dreadlocks
    7.Quiff
    8. Pony tails
    9.Mohawk
    10.fringe
    11. Afro shape up
    12. Twist out
    13. Afro-puffs

Also having the addition of hair accessories like "braid beads" would be really cool.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I posted this a long time ago but seems fitting for this discussion to repost. https://mymodernmet.com/milena-braid-hairstyles/?fbclid=IwAR0NthwMVZKEsEf9y-m4W83lRZQCWhzSMjD1PDe-8jvV_AJeYqPyq0IxMMA
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Would love to see some hairstyles based on Chinese hairstyles both modern and ancient.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like you to keep hairstyles according to the races lore and background, if we see it in players.. we should see it in NPCs from the same race... not every race should have the same hair options available and please don't go to crazy taking all the recommendations from this thread giving crazy pink and blue anime hairstyles to the dunir and crazy african tribal hair to the empyrean, make it realistic and coherent
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    3Snap3Snap Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i'd say +1 to all of these suggestions. But also to make sure there are many long and short hair versions for both genders / all races. If you can spare the time on designing hairstyles i think it's well worth the effort. More ways to customise the looks of our characters will allow more diversity.

Too often you find MMO's with way too little.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited April 2022
    A "Curly" slider

Aside from choosing the style/length, if we're able to have a slider to adjust 'curliness', that would add a LOT of customization to preset styles.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    meowsticalmeowstical Member
    edited April 2022
    I would like to see different parts of the hairstyle able to be selected and customized separately. When I tried playing a free trial of Black Desert Online I think they let you customize the front and back separately and I think that went well, however I would also like to see some asymmetric options as well so perhaps we could get some left-right separate customization of some sort as well? I think the simplest way to do it (at least on our consumer end) would be to have a number of presets which an be customized in a similar way to the body, though I imagine it could be difficult to pull off since hair is just so complex...
    Aside from styles and shapes though, I think it would be cool to have different ways for hair color to come through as well, such as a "half-and-half" sort of thing like the Chimeric Cats you see on the internet (something to look at for the Tulnar at least, I'm sure). I think a lot of people would like to place streaks of color in different places as well, whether those be natural or dyed colors. I'm curious if some races could have horizontal streaks, or lines, or bars, or what-have-you, kind of like "DEATH THE KID" from the Soul Eater anime. Humanoids generally do not come with natural striping unless they're a humanoid tiger (or that one long arm hair I found and then lost mysteriously...), so it would have to be a dyed option, which means it would be a cultural thing, and I know you want to keep the various races culturally distinct, this would be another way you could do that.... Theoretically at least.
    (Oh and during the reveal of the female Py'rai there was a comment that made it sound like the Tulnar had to have horns, but I say "Tulnar do not equal Tieflings either" and would rather have neural spines like an iguana. Edit: Or maybe the Scutes or Spikes seen on other types of reptiles as well.) Just a thought that I really wanted to share.)
  • Options
    LunariGoddessLunariGoddess Member
    edited April 2022
    I think other people already commented about this, but, LONG hair is important!. Not everyone wants shoulder length hair or short, I surely don't. So, I really hope you guys implement hairstyles, or should I say, hair lenght, that goes all the way to the waist, or even above the butt, I don't know, any hair lenght a player wants!.

Also, hairstyles with bangs please lol.

By the way, something really important that I want to echo not just regarding hair, but EVERYTHING in the game, is the following:

Please, please, PLEASE, do not restrain any race and the sexes and/or genders of each one to be only one way. Like, don't restrain males to be strictly masculine, or women to be strictly feminine. I think part of having an amazing character creation tool is the uniqueness someone can create a character with. Ashes Of Creation will be a game with a lot of diversity, right?(I hope there are lots of it in different aspects of the game, not just in the character creation tool), well, don't forget real life people and obviously AOC's community are diverse too!, and this is coming from someone who creates only female and feminine characters in all games by the way, just so y'all know.

So, I really hope that you guys take this into account and great consideration, because someone might want to create a male character with some makeup on, very long hair and/or some feminine features, or create a female character with a harsh or "masculine" complexion, or just straight up create an androgynous character, any of those would be fu**ing cool too, to create a character that is not "usual" and at the own desires and image of each person, just like in real life. It's entirely up to ANYONE who wants to create a character like that. That's the purpose of an amazing character creation tool!

Now, again, I do hope that the character creator is not the only thing that is THAT diverse, but the whole game too in a lot of different aspects of it.

Much love xoxo <3
    npxg1g9bl1f0.jpg
    ⋆⁺₊⋆☾⋆⁺₊⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Blessed you are, living in the night, guided by me and all my dear stars ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ⋆⁺₊⋆☽⋆⁺₊⋆
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hair going to the waist will probably mostly depend on how much effort it will take to make sure the hair doesn't clip through armor.
  • Options
    LunariGoddessLunariGoddess Member
    edited April 2022
    Alright, here are some examples of hairstyles I think would be amazing. All of these can be for both male and females by the way, if you don't give af.

nccn3po84f73.jpg
    e04ks6v7bdrl.jpg
    vycz1zex41ht.jpg
    xmkvd1nc0we2.jpg
    vtfsc6vvnvbc.jpg
    lcqlzgrxfd4m.jpg
    4r7zth40exel.jpg
    c45xlcvpjw0a.jpg
    fnnx4ii4mnwj.jpg
    x58b9x5j5685.png
    oom5aewa9d7d.jpg
    yz04mbdtexz4.jpg

npxg1g9bl1f0.jpg
    ⋆⁺₊⋆☾⋆⁺₊⋆‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Blessed you are, living in the night, guided by me and all my dear stars ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ ⋆⁺₊⋆☽⋆⁺₊⋆
  • Options
    Would love to see more asymmetrical designs with sharp edges, like these:
    0bci4e545j65.jpg
    v4ekx2wr8dj0.jpeg
    nri809gwtxm0.jpg
    badgu3lursr3.jpg
    yumept2f90w6.jpeg

Also these would be amazing too:

s2o4hizhhj6m.png
    5iyj3cdnu2zh.png
    wlvz4g25cml8.png
  • Options
    Hairstyle wise everyone has posted some amazing styles so I'm gonna focus a lot of my hopes for each race to have a wide array of colors at their disposal. Natural vs unnatural isn't a huge debate for me but I do feel bright neons tend to not only kill some of the immersion but also when put on textures dull it down and quality wise just look odd in execution. Soft pastels though? Sure.

My hope is the ability to see gradiant in the hair. Whether its dark roots with lighter ends, interesting ombres, or highlight/lowlights. I think these are little additions when done well can really help people feel ownership to their character along with a great selection of hairstyles. I would have to second a lot of people in the request for long hairstyles. I know they generally are hard to avoid clipping issues with but it's never fun being stuck in an mmo with just short to medium lengths with just one longstyle that everyone wears because they want that fantasy length. Also rich selection of textures. Kinky, curly, wavey, and straight and a variety of styles for each.
  • Options
    I think a particularly important option might be to copy the Facial Hair system of multiple sections of hair to the head; Top, Sides, Back, specifically, in order to modularly create hair styles; with perhaps a way to "bind" hairstyles that complement each other (full head of long hair, curly hair, styled hair). Having a wild shock of top and back hair with the sides shorn down or braided or shaved as an example; the Amani and Frost Troll Mohawk with Braids would be a sick option for anyone but I'd love it for Orcs and Tulnar as an example.

12bjrxlkj36a.png

Having options for asymmetrical hairstyles I think is key, it would be cool to have asymmetrical beard options, but I have a feeling those would be more likely to look awkward in comparison. Long hair (L E N G T H Y) is what I've seen suggested and I agree. Ornate decorations would be cool, perhaps combined into sectional options. From what I've seen I am incredibly confident in the Character Creator, but I think it would be neat to have methods for creators to make their own styles and send them in ala the Steam Workshop, perhaps having occasional events to show off and promote the hairstyles, maybe votes for bringing them aboard the official creator, of course not so far as to overcomplicate things on Intrepid's end.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alright, here are some examples of hairstyles I think would be amazing. All of these can be for both male and females by the way, if you don't give af.
    e04ks6v7bdrl.jpg
    I especially like the hair styles in this image.
    I was thinking about posting images of La'an and Ortegas from Strange New Worlds as examples - they have shorter hair but similar buzzed sides.
  • Options
    ZombieHeartZombieHeart Member
    edited April 2022
    Okay bare with me but the actual question is at the end. So, this topic had me thinking about artwork styles and then later today a bunny was dropped on my chest when I was trying to nap and I began worrying if I could have reacted differently or possibly hatefully towards the person or bunny if the situation was different ( different animal, different person dropped it, different nap location ect) then I remembered easter was recent and maybe God put up with bunnies getting the Easter attention from people because He thought bunnies were cute, almost like the memes saying "I'll allow it". Somehow my mind from there went to thinking about Steven and how is setting a good example with embracing Easter and Christmas and christian holidays and I think he is a Christian which is inspiring, so then back to God and how He sees cuteness in bunnies and the bunny is surely considered one of the gentler friendlier, easier to be randomly dropped on a person's chest type of animal... but what if the setting was different well it wasn't but what if it was video game style, so now in my head I'm taking the cuteness and maximizing it.

Are there multiple art styles going to be found throughout AoC? Such as a Toon world behind a painting, or a comic book artwork type area and other art styles that are dramatically different. The UI could match weirdly while our characters are in those zones..

Are there art styles that are dramatically different located throughout the game? How about possible items that effect the world's art style for only the wearer of the item?
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template.png
  • Options
    I’d like to see the ability to change the thickness and length of your hair on any individual hair/beard style, and the ability to create bald patches. I love the idea of being able to recreate real people in the character creator and think those features go a long way. I personally have a stringy, thin, patchy beard and would love to have those options for my character.
    Also I think it’s always nice to have new and different hair/beard styles that can be unlocked in game that aren’t available right off the bat in the creator. I would make these more extravagant or even comic styes because you don’t want to limit the creator at all. Thanks as always for listening to our feedback!
  • Options
    My main thing is I just want there to be a ton of "black" hairstyle options/hair textures across as many races as possible. Of course gotta go with the lore, but a lot of games tend to not have that kind of expression for any races but humans or if they do it's only the most like bestial/monstrous ones. And as a player that can be really disheartening when I can't have like, an elf for example, that reflects some aspects of me as a person. Hair being a big part of that.

Option wise just tons of options would be really nice. From bantu knots, different kinds of breads and locs, and even like braids done up in really interesting fashions. That's really what I crave.

Though finally I think one thing that'd be cool would be if there was a way we could customize what kind of design might be shaved into an undercut or a fade. That'd be a really awesome thing to have so even if two players both have undercut hair options the design (if any) in the buzzed portion could be different.
  • Options
    TheSturnOneTheSturnOne Member
    edited April 2022
    MxOberon wrote: »
    Though finally I think one thing that'd be cool would be if there was a way we could customize what kind of design might be shaved into an undercut or a fade. That'd be a really awesome thing to have so even if two players both have undercut hair options the design (if any) in the buzzed portion could be different.

Perhaps we could get a specific "scar" option that changes the texture to that of "skin" that could be patterned over undercuts to get the same effect without being limited by presets?

Edit: Just had a thought, such a 'scar' could also be used for facial hair and eyebrows for those cool parted brow styles and sculpted short beards.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Just give me Thranduil from The Hobbit hairstyle for both males and females and i'm happy :)

And please keep hairstyles somewhat realistic, no real life looking fades with sharp edges like i saw someone posting above.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have a suggestion for a layered workflow for customizable hairstyles (hi engineers ;) )

Start with some options for customizing the hairline:
    01-hairline-A.png
    02-hairline-B.png
    03-hairline-C.png

~

Then choose the base canvas of the hairstyle:
    Buzz
    04-hairlinestyle-A.png
    Shaggy
    05-hairlinestyle-B.png
    Pulled back
    06-hairlinestyle-C.png

~

Finally, add pre-designed hair chunks (I called them tufts?). Would be cool if we could drag-drop these onto the heads too :)
    Buns
    07-tuftA.png
    Stray Hairs
    08-tuftB.png
    Curtains
    09-tuftC.png

Please give us options to stretch/bend these pieces (as well as move/scale/rotate)
    If you give each piece an anchor that must be attached to the scalp, we should be able to shape the rest of the piece to get what we want (ignoring hair extensions)

If we have a variety of these attachables then we'll be able to make things like:
    b8t2sb5j78ra.png
    (referenced from here)

~

The buzz canvas could work really well with the game's scar system
    11-Scar.png

~

This might be an overwhelming system to break down, but I think you can divide most hairstyles into these partitions:
    12-Partitions.png

Top:
    • Middle/Side Partings
    • Bangs/Parted Bangs/Whispy Bangs
    • Side-sweeps
    • Mohawks
    • Major braids
    • Cowlicks

Side:
    • Fades
    • Cornbraids/Fishtail braids/other braids
    • side-hanging curls
    • Shoulder splashes
    • Bob cuts

Sideburns:
    • Fades
    • Whispy curls
    • Tucked-behind-ear
    • Straight edge
    • lamb chops
    • options to connect to beards/moustaches

Back:
    • Mullets
    • Long Curtains
    • Braids
    • Tied Hair
    • Shoulder length

It will probably get fiddly, so please give us options to tweak these too!

Finally I need to acknowledge that there are some amazing hairstyles that just won't fit into this system like these ones:
    khygbvpyq7gj.png
    0fgjhs5hurfno5hqr.jpg
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    ZalemZalem Member
    Ethnic hairstyles. Guild Wars 2 has some nice options for black hair, so that's the very minimum you should do. Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean hairstyles (both male and female). Long hair for GUYS and not just girls. I should be able to have either super short or super long hair regardless of my gender.
  • Options
    I like short, simple hair, maybe with a ponytail on the side. But what interests me even more is the color scheme. I've already noticed that it shouldn't be too colourful, but should also adapt to the world. Nevertheless, I myself usually go with shades of green. So approaches in this direction would also be interesting for me, even if it might not be as intense as I'm used to.kjwvdfopanfe.bmp
    2sbtegojvffi.jpg
    68idyo298t09.jpg
    8w7vj3gtfzhp.jpg
    j1lyb5yun30s.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Another elven demon nymph rendition (pigtails). Sorry for the quality. My own private collection is protected much like my own IPs. Cheers, Neu.

6mpkydbhtcsf.jpg
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    I have a suggestion for a layered workflow for customizable hairstyles (hi engineers ;) )

Start with some options for customizing the hairline:
    01-hairline-A.png
    02-hairline-B.png
    03-hairline-C.png

~

Then choose the base canvas of the hairstyle:
    Buzz
    04-hairlinestyle-A.png
    Shaggy
    05-hairlinestyle-B.png
    Pulled back
    06-hairlinestyle-C.png

~

Finally, add pre-designed hair chunks (I called them tufts?). Would be cool if we could drag-drop these onto the heads too :)
    Buns
    07-tuftA.png
    Stray Hairs
    08-tuftB.png
    Curtains
    09-tuftC.png

Please give us options to stretch/bend these pieces (as well as move/scale/rotate)
    If you give each piece an anchor that must be attached to the scalp, we should be able to shape the rest of the piece to get what we want (ignoring hair extensions)

If we have a variety of these attachables then we'll be able to make things like:
    b8t2sb5j78ra.png
    (referenced from here)

~

The buzz canvas could work really well with the game's scar system
    11-Scar.png

~

This might be an overwhelming system to break down, but I think you can divide most hairstyles into these partitions:
    12-Partitions.png

Top:
    • Middle/Side Partings
    • Bangs/Parted Bangs/Whispy Bangs
    • Side-sweeps
    • Mohawks
    • Major braids
    • Cowlicks

Side:
    • Fades
    • Cornbraids/Fishtail braids/other braids
    • side-hanging curls
    • Shoulder splashes
    • Bob cuts

Sideburns:
    • Fades
    • Whispy curls
    • Tucked-behind-ear
    • Straight edge
    • lamb chops
    • options to connect to beards/moustaches

Back:
    • Mullets
    • Long Curtains
    • Braids
    • Tied Hair
    • Shoulder length

It will probably get fiddly, so please give us options to tweak these too!

Finally I need to acknowledge that there are some amazing hairstyles that just won't fit into this system like these ones:
    khygbvpyq7gj.png
    0fgjhs5hurfno5hqr.jpg

Heck yes. This looks good.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw