Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Feedback Request] Hairstyles in Character Creator

Comments

• Options
    maouw wrote: »
    I have a suggestion

I think this might be one of the best suggestions on this Thread, really fantastic stuff 100% Agree
  • Options
    I hope the options for "bad hair day" and "I've worn my helm all day" are present.

You know, everything looks fine when you have a headgear on, but everyone stop talking and stare at you when you remove it. :#
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    LizeqLizeq Member
    ck2bqh1x0fe8.jpg
    Make better mistakes.
  • Options
    TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    fd9s7sl3qrcy.jpgvziib7nbelhv.jpg

• Options
    MaikaHalfwolfMaikaHalfwolf Member
    edited April 2022
    What areas of hair customization are important to you?
    Colors/Dying Hair, Gradient Hair Dye, Non cis-gender and female hair styles

What do you feel is missing from the hairstyles we’ve shared so far?
    Ombre and Balayage
    fgmj7sjc6g4d.png
    l7cxv9du377l.png

Up-do hairstyles for women.
    srhdhoc9755f.png
    1pjrwfbph19l.png
    j1irntj3adgp.png

Styling hair under hats
    06l45p50ndfy.png
    afx5gs13r939.png

Messy hair
    7m9vsrs54q2m.png
    bqzrhr9cr7vx.png

Which types of hairstyles do other games do well, and what makes hair in those games good?
    Final Fantasy has a good hair dye system that makes the hair look more complex, providing hair with depth.
  • Options
    GalvornianGalvornian Member
    edited April 2022
    I feel like so many games offer maybe one and at best two ethnic hairstyles. I'm hoping Ashes breaks that trend. Here are some samples of what there could be, just to start:

Dreadlocks (I have bias....we need more of these in games), Braids, Cornrows, Black Caesar Cuts, good afros, etc:

m2qd2acielbd.jpg
    n8wszmvos8n5.jpg
    gbj3ma32kxjn.jpg
    eve30f2oeaqe.jpg
    gbxoqdgcojym.png
    1gxa2a1in9g7.jpg
    fny9uslnbokb.png
    obgdbzgyw5mb.png
    oeamfdxscbp3.png
    05qs5zzhdhbc.png
    hgv9w0oessgx.jpg
    idd4u16p7xlb.jpg
    jgghjxq4b1cz.png
  • Options
    Can I get Margaret's hairstyle please <3
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I guess I have to ask for nonstandard colors in tasteful 'natural' feeling color pallets. For example soft periwinkle to deep periwinkle, various greens, purples, pinks, blues. I don't need them to be loud and neon but something beyond normal hair colors is in every high fantasy mmo worth playing, so it'd feel weird to not have it when 'glamor' level appearance magic has been frequently cited in AoC.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    it would be cool if PyRai could have plants in their hair for both male and female! Like some vines or leaves or flowers bn64nc3fhm8l.png
    yvwx33uf6toe.png
    pzzzk4y2nv58.png
  • Options
    SonicXplosionSonicXplosion Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Some hairstyles I'd like
    by73fss4yn65.jpg
    xb42v74ilggq.jpg
    e3gan2x7qpv1.png
  • Options
    I would like to see a variety of colors that are bright and fun. So many games make colors so muddy. I'm tired of green based blonde hair. It makes it look muddy. I'd also love to see all styles have different dye patterns that you can adjust so you can have ombre styles. My own hair is currently deep purple roots with teal ends. https://www.hair.com/best-ombre-hair-ideas.html#:~:text=54 Ombre Hair Ideas We Love 1 Caramel,10 Pewter to Pink. ... More items...
  • Options
    AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    some ideas:

xmdyx9s9xg6q.png
    j5z767oefjez.png
    yl9d148gy3bv.png
    8a9uq0clew0e.png
    vzl8ba0yzqcb.png
    26m2h3bb4t5r.png
    pz361k4bkdd3.png
    rwyw0t8xw5j2.png
    8mm9piopr53h.png
    g91r71mw9an7.png
    szssdjki0rev.png
    5xrhda9mivvx.png
    zgkcjv0hp1n0.png
    ioi1y4zlwdi8.png
    t0ii6wr8eb7g.png
    kq95sy3esijn.png
    euc1sev74qfo.png
    kicm2uwl22ri.png
    1fuacsqenfvt.png
    tl6lklnga4ab.png
    giuqskiu6gmb.png
    d6nm9jt58th0.png
    37b5bl8gpn3l.png
    87h271a1qxa5.png
    067zdk2ido4g.png
    n5fnpz7bfd3j.png
    trn5cgn8tfkl.png
    bf48pg0mprao.png
    r3sgg6fvx1uh.png
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, Randy Rhoads had the best hair hands down in the hard rock scene. DEF see this for the elves or humans. djj8a1oetc4o.png
    ozt09gm5ge70.jpg
    ndntniqxobu4.jpg
    kh9kvmy00s8u.jpg
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    some for the lady's. xtoph4qu3vwm.jpg
    ebaguginrvs5.jpg
  • Options
    SockskiSockski Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Being able to have longer hair is super important. Curly hair too! Wavy, curly, ringlets...there's more than one type of curly. It's also amazing when you have more granular control over colors, and separate control over the front/bangs and the back. This allows players to mix and match to create exactly the style they want!

PLEASE find a way to make it so that wearing a helmet doesn't make your character bald underneath. I know that it presents several challenges, but "replace hair with helmet, essentially making character bald" is not an okay solution in a modern game!

Here are some example hairstyles. Basically anything from D&D fan portrait art, or game of thrones. Braids, intricate things that are hard to do in real life. They add that flair of fantastical elegance that make it fun to dress up your character.
    7to3bml54j94.jpg
    v4dr9oywx4yz.jpeg
    xj1ykl9sg8gx.jpg
    xh2ihce5dpla.jpg
    wn3eh8zy2z1r.jpg
    hkuicjinvc7h.jpg
    9frnnmcg7ebj.jpg
    ymgotizoywt2.png
    pn68mbh31cel.jpg

• Options
    AliceAlice Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    Hairstyles that come with hair ties, headband, ribbons, flowers, bandana, and ornaments/accessories.
    I think they are the cutest and have "fantasy" vibe to them.

Female:
    (These are special because they are too feminine to be on a male. Most hairstyles are unisex ~ I think)
    e0996d2eccf1f68dced767472041ae7a.jpg
    ec1cc8597d3019de5924265d0e53f563.png
    8787d7c0019363eb50f69de51859b692.jpg
    (I'd love a curly hair variant + long hair variant for this one + a variant with ribbon added to it. too much?♥)

Male:
    83aeeafc3734efa7c4e3df709ea4192c.jpg
    This is for both genders.
    030d2e6f50013dd9a4598b13d887437e.png

BONUS: Messy hair samples:
    muzaka-1.jpg?t=1625865680
    In BDO, I can make it even messier! (This is the default).
    4a9a0007c26fbf8e4860a379f1692494.png
    de22a1dc58441d669e6f712bac74f2fe.png

Many asked for long & braided hairstyles for males, have you considered making hairstyles unisex(with few exceptions)?
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    Hairstyles with accessories. Some accessories could have an on/off toggle.
    y8s7sxpgl4by.jpg
    odx1aq40p0jw.jpg
    tuvjzgerm3yx.jpg
    qk9722oh59xy.jpg
    wauqpdmnqsk9.jpg
    ulzc761ac4kc.jpg
    ni7ompphp4sb.jpg
    xytdagl977l9.jpg
    a4ulkk4264vw.jpg
    he2kgmb26hgs.jpg
    ka1c3fdht6ja.jpg
    rhtp3uwcb14d.jpg
    9blaxhe8fcri.jpg
    e2ctfctdc60w.jpg
    q5h8qr05u4re.jpg
    0rbwh3hy1veb.jpg
    a6gnl6i6y4ho.jpg

Some other hairstyles.
    p5ow1fb92h8z.jpg
    xwx8bbx9nr8v.jpg
    m8ybvapzlfb0.jpg
    g01dc6davwtg.jpg
    3un4abb22vsu.jpg
    aqasho04ztoo.jpg
    cvqm9xfcaa1l.jpg
    7ak3lqh8xz60.jpg
    5bpso26xcwea.jpg
    8w0pgna0h4wi.jpg
    tso3n0juucgr.jpg
    led5gzzntxup.jpg
    4kdu4moagb2r.jpg
    h5ohxfqrkiea.jpg
    5si05dx735jf.jpg
    fwpayv2qv1co.jpg
    a3ykbd4jplps.jpg

Male hairstyles. Don't have to be gender locked!
    dksz4krly1pj.jpg
    z74y532blqlt.jpg
    lhixcatdhaaq.jpg
    tl2z18o6mv2p.jpg
    4xo347l8rdtc.jpg
    c7pvtqxgc5x9.jpg
  • Options
    @Zahie Heheh - I've not missed flat-tops since they were all the rage.

• Options
    id give my first born for a pompadour. like a good old fashion, "dad what's that' kind of pompadour . id give my second kid for a length slider on such a thing
    xpyt6tdtctx9.png
  • Options
    and to add i think it would be nothing but a boon to not lock hairstyles by gender some of us pride ourselves in the sense of androgyny and balance in our beauty and to have a character creator were I can be a very feminine man (which is sorely neglected by many other games) would mean the literal world to me personally
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    @Zahie Heheh - I've not missed flat-tops since they were all the rage.

Did i post flat-tops?
  • Options
    I think it may have been one of the styles in the male section.
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    I think it may have been one of the styles in the male section.

Aha found it. I just saw a bunch of hipster haircuts x)
  • Options
    EfogEfog Member
    nbq1edgdwdt1.png
  • Options
    Twintails and pigtails would be great options to have
  • Options
    Firstly, I would like to note that the editor, as it has already been shown, is developing in the right direction.

Of course, I would like more variety. The ability (in a decent range) to change the length, make the hair curly/straight, create multicolored hairstyles. However, it seems to me that all this should not be too pretentious and bright. The characters should be diverse, detailed, interesting and attractive (for their creators), but we are in a harsh fantasy world, not at a festival.

In conclusion, I think that for more immersion and diversity, it will be great to have options specific to certain races. For example, decorated beards with braids for dwarves or something in the style of South American Indians for vekh orcs.
  • Options
    ZainoxZainox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    I would love to see an option to add extra bits of hair on top of what we can already choose. This would create more custom, diverse types of hairstyles within the world. Such options could be an extra braid of hair, a curly flyaway hair or a long strand of hair added going down the face. These options would be something we can pick and add to the scalp where we choose. The game "Code Vein" had a similar kind of system in their character creation system.

The video below is of the Code Vein character creator. Someone creating Vincent from FF7. In this video, they use different strand of hair to customize his look further. Similar to what I was requesting. I feel like in Code Vein, it's very lenient to where you can place these bits of hair, which could result in some pretty dodgy looking characters with floating hair. But, I think if these extra bit's of hair we could add are force snapped to the scalp, it could be doable with a lot better looking end result.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyF0jlNAIE4

Also, stuff like horns or the big teeth. An option to resize them, both together and/or separately, would be nice. Being able to rotate or move them to a desired position could also be a nice touch.

The ability to add highlights or two-tone our hair.

I feel like a lot of games create very bland, straight/clean looking hair styles. I for one, really like curly or messy hair styles. I have added some images below of some styles that I found and liked. The hair styles aren't straight forward and clean cut. But have a lot of visible, messy strands.

Male/female long hair curled versions
    slkkum23w2bq.jpg

ittjxakxdu0x.jpg

Male/short curly
    t41cumab9aid.jpg

Male/ Long messy
    qkln2nalolux.jpg

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    More female concepts for horns/hair combos(still collecting male versions too, I don't want you to think I'm one dimensional lol).

j0pymf4oxagv.jpg
    us757lt8kc2p.jpg
    nqajxow0lr1g.jpg
    e9a9uh1j3mpo.jpg
    95emtazs0s96.jpg
    23nh1c1fayoo.jpg
    thlyzn03nqui.jpg
    4ykigvpfkcaq.jpg
    759ixzy26fb0.jpg
    qpdbsbmbly5y.jpg
    qfmbaerhotne.jpg
    hdu8ydxs566z.jpg
    6v99pqt6l6ir.jpg
    089ihbk6k5ms.jpg
    30un09ku1g6u.jpg

Cheers,
    Neu.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I've commented this in the character creator post but since this is a hair specific one, I'm gonna write it here as well.

I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on hair color options. Limiting it to shades of brown and vibrant orange in a world where Py'Rai, Dawnbreaker, Whispering Watcher, flower mobs and many more fantastical creatures exist makes zero sense to me. How are artificial hair colors immersion breaking but glow effects and 3 tailed lava foxes not? Please, give it some more thought.

I'd like to have options for balayage and two tone (or more) highlights with sliders for position, intensity, density and width.

I'd also love it if hair, facial hair and eyebrow colors were independent.

You guys said you wanted your character creator to be the best one so I hope I'm not too unrealistic with my requests/expectations.

I liked the idea of long hairstyles for males LunariGoddes posted. It would be nice to have the most (if not all) of the hairstyles available to both genders, especially now that we're stepping into an age where we start questioning and exploring gender roles and identity.

Here are a few hairstyles I liked (traditionally female character have more options to play with and there have already been some great submission so I didn't go there):

• Options
    LithionLithion Member
    I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on hair color options. Limiting it to shades of brown and vibrant orange in a world where Py'Rai, Dawnbreaker, Whispering Watcher, flower mobs and many more fantastical creatures exist makes zero sense to me. How are artificial hair colors immersion breaking but glow effects and 3 tailed lava foxes not? Please, give it some more thought.

I don't believe they have stated it's going to be limited colors for hair yet. (unless there is a quote I don't know about?) We have actually been discussing the hair color options a lot in other threads. If you are referring to the video of the character creator, that is a very early iteration with much much more to add before even alpha 2.