Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Feedback Request] Hairstyles in Character Creator

Comments

• Options
    GaebrilGaebril Member
    I would love Viking/Norse hair/beard styles for the human:ish races. Since im from the northern most part of Sweden, I always create characters that either looks like me or like how my ancestors would have looked like. So if possible some northern hair/beard styles would be cool.
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see more wavey hair styles. Something in between straightened or braided styles and the afro puff. Most MMOs I've played seem to have a ton of straight or styled straight hair, and then an afro. I would like to see more textured hair styles.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What areas of hair customization are important to you?
    Color is extremely important. For example, most MMORPGs on the market right now do not have a good black hair color. To the point that it makes me think that studios are cutting costs on color calibration of monitors or something. Ideally, we would have access to every the game engine could produce.
    What do you feel is missing from the hairstyles we’ve shared so far?
    Not being 100% sure the details on this, I would say if anything is "gender" or "race" locked about hairstyles, that is a huge mistake. Without getting into a huge debate, I would say it is both physically and magically possible for any race to copy the style of any other race's hair.
    Which types of hairstyles do other games do well, and what makes hair in those games good?
    Nothing, literally every MMORPG makes the same mistake of making a handful of useful hairstyles and then stopping for years at a time.

The time value of adding a hairstyle to an MMORPG surely has an astronomical return, right? A hairstyle gets made once and gets used by hundreds of thousands of people for years to decades... In the time it takes a WOW DEV to recolor a mount 4-5 times, they could have just given the player base an extra hairstyle or two that all races would have access to and made a lot more people happy in the long run.

TLDR: Having the most options is the true divine.
    Immersion is less important than gameplay and fun always.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Possible to wear any hairstyle, but, if we are restricting armor styles based on culture and gender, I think there should also be some cultural restrictions on hairstyle and colors.
    Not a lot of restrictions... but some.
  • Options
    OzijakOzijak Member
    edited May 2022
    I absolutely love this thread haha, soooo so many great hairstyles. Going to be insane to try add them all, I hope they add so so many, clearly its important to have a lot of choices and like life you can change them up at a barbershop or like hopefully. - Edit - Just checked the wiki and we are getting barbershops & salons haha :D
  • Options
    Beard and hair removal/edit tool,

Think a clear oval-ish shaped moveable tattoo (size adjustable) that when placed over a hair texture (beard or hair) you can remove that part of the hair.

Ultimately if you could shorten to stuble or lengthen it, that would be GOD mode customisation.

From Patchy and Dishevelled looks to Intricately customised cuts and beards.

The creative use of somthing like this would be amazing to see.

Actual barber abilities based on your existing presets.
    Join The Casual Conspiracy
    https://discord.gg/Rs5cwrYwst
  • Options
    RednamRednam Member
    Grey streaks, NOT highlights. I dont want 'salt n pepper'.
    This goes for beards too, similar to Patrick Rothfuss below.
    Beard hair shouldnt all be straight as well(as it seems to be in the vid), again see below.
    0538u4fu135i.png
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    Viking-styled hair! Braids with beads for both head-hair and facial hair. I want to feel badass :)
  • Options
    Hmmn. That sounds like African-styled hair, to me.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Multiple cultures have a tradition of it Dygz.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    That's what I Just said.
  • Options
    No, you were pretty unclear. It is clarified now though. Have a good day mate.

• Options
    Skyri02Skyri02 Member
    Will post some more hairstyles i found that i would like to see in the game ^^

Hairstylestwo.jpg

Hairstylestr.jpg

hairtsyllles.jpg

Some hairstyles with hair bandana.

Band_hair.jpg

Maybe some hairstyles that is one with some nice looking overzised hats?
    hatsss.jpg
    wftwtwtt.jpg

Hairstyles that as unique shaped/cut on the side
    mc8iemcf13pq.png

Els_inspired_female.jpg

Elf_hairstyle_men_based.jpg

elf_inspired_male.jpg

csfswet.jpg
  • Options
    willchrisiamwillchrisiam Member
    edited May 2022
    Lithion wrote: »
    I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on hair color options. Limiting it to shades of brown and vibrant orange in a world where Py'Rai, Dawnbreaker, Whispering Watcher, flower mobs and many more fantastical creatures exist makes zero sense to me. How are artificial hair colors immersion breaking but glow effects and 3 tailed lava foxes not? Please, give it some more thought.

I don't believe they have stated it's going to be limited colors for hair yet. (unless there is a quote I don't know about?) We have actually been discussing the hair color options a lot in other threads. If you are referring to the video of the character creator, that is a very early iteration with much much more to add before even alpha 2.

Development Update with Alpha Two Character Creator - 11AM PT Thursday, March 31, 2022
    at 1:00:15

Margaret: When we were showing off the hair options and colors, we showcased a lot of very natural hair colors and people were wondering if they can have more vibrant greens and blues and stuff like that or if they're going to be more specific to those cultures and races as far as the options they could choose.
    Steven: Options are definitely gonna be culturally dependent, however with regards to the question about high saturation or, you know, certain types of color ranges - obviously we have style guide that we want to hit from an art perspective, right, in the game, so those options are gonna be dependent on whether or not they match with, you know, with the kind of style that we wanna have within the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    sorry, duplicate post
  • Options
    I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on hair color options. Limiting it to shades of brown and vibrant orange in a world where Py'Rai, Dawnbreaker, Whispering Watcher, flower mobs and many more fantastical creatures exist makes zero sense to me. How are artificial hair colors immersion breaking but glow effects and 3 tailed lava foxes not? Please, give it some more thought.

I don't believe they have stated it's going to be limited colors for hair yet. (unless there is a quote I don't know about?) We have actually been discussing the hair color options a lot in other threads. If you are referring to the video of the character creator, that is a very early iteration with much much more to add before even alpha 2.

Development Update with Alpha Two Character Creator - 11AM PT Thursday, March 31, 2022

Margaret: When we were showing off the hair options and colors, we showcased a lot of very natural hair colors and people were wondering if they can have more vibrant greens and blues and stuff like that or if they're going to be more specific to those cultures and races as far as the options they could choose.
    Steven: Options are definitely gonna be culturally dependent, however with regards to the question about high saturation or, you know, certain types of color ranges - obviously we have style guide that we want to hit from an art perspective, right, in the game, so those options are gonna be dependent on whether or not they match with, you know, with the kind of style that we wanna have within the game.

Sounds like this doesn't neccisarily exclude certain colors, but that if they can't get them to fit the over all style guidelines they might exclude certain palletes. Hopefully they manage to make less saturated but more varied ranges work.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    JustVine wrote: »

Sounds like this doesn't neccisarily exclude certain colors, but that if they can't get them to fit the over all style guidelines they might exclude certain palletes. Hopefully they manage to make less saturated but more varied ranges work.

I know but I'm still scared they are gonna try to make it very 'realistic', at least for humans and elves and I'm really not into any kind of limitations. Once you get things like Stuffertons and Whispering Watcher (I keep coming back to that one because it's so out there), hyper realism becomes nonsensical. If there are dworves and their females are gonna be able to have a full on beards, everyone can have dyed hair.

I am one of the people who hates jumpsuits, sailor costumes, police car mounts and other bs present in the vast majority of mmos but I still think that hair colors are completely realistic. People have been dyeing their hair and wearing make up for thousands of years and they didn't have magic in their lives. BDO is pretty modest when it comes to the fantasy elements (at least in terms of characters and mounts) and they still have vibrant hair colors available.

If you're making a game like Life is Feudal maybe you could make an argument against hair dyes but in everything else such restrictions feel so unrealistic and unnecessary.
  • Options
    Yeah you are basically preaching to the choir here. I'd rather have no hair color restrictions. Especially when there is plenty of sparkly saturated stuff in the games cosmetics. It's not like you've really 'preserved the art direction' as Steven's quote earlier is calling for. I usually argue for less saturated more matte/pastel shades of 'nonstandard' hair colors as a compromise I think is reasonable and can fit most art direction guidelines. I'd much rather have those options than none at all or worse being charged money in the cash shop to bypass the artificial limitation.

• Options
    LithionLithion Member
    @willchrisiam I agree with @JustVine that the quote you gave doesn't discount bright hair colors. I also though agree that im worried they might try to go with just boring brown, blond, and black. A lot of us though want all the bright colors, so here is to hoping they let us have all those colors at least on most races. ill choose whatever race has the nicest hair colors probably, unless the females aren't attractive
  • Options
    Please no anime hair or ridiculous looking hair. I've seen a lot of pictures here already which just look too much.
  • Options
    AeskillAeskill Member
    The only thing I really don't want to see is a carnival event. Color selection is important, but please not the full spectrum :blush:
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited May 2022
    7xpz5vw3c9ov.png

No One take my dream to be an Holly priest ganker
  • Options
    DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    f7w83qwmezg6.png

ndibft86f8gg.png

Just wanted to share some more natural curls 👀
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • Options
    Mangust747Mangust747 Member
    edited May 2022
    aubcz1m2a1gy.jpg
    giuqskiu6gmb.png
    d6nm9jt58th0.png
    37b5bl8gpn3l.png
    87h271a1qxa5.png
    067zdk2ido4g.png
    n5fnpz7bfd3j.png
    trn5cgn8tfkl.png
    xetidlrilb3j.jpg
    a7l6c6o3cdar.jpeg

For the dwarves , a separate respect
  • Options
    ContrarionContrarion Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My favorite female hairstyles are for WoW's blood elves: Big, bold and sexy.
    Several of the dwarf beard options should be very big.
    Long flowing hair, hair the reacts to movement, may be beyond technical limits, but that is how you could really excel.
    I prefer a focus on the hair's texture and volume, and less use of braids and accessories.
    When accessories are included, it's much better if you can dye them.
    Take some effort to keep hair from flowing through collars and helmets.
    A no helmet button is a must have feature.
  • Options
    @willchrisiam I agree with @JustVine that the quote you gave doesn't discount bright hair colors. I also though agree that im worried they might try to go with just boring brown, blond, and black. A lot of us though want all the bright colors, so here is to hoping they let us have all those colors at least on most races. ill choose whatever race has the nicest hair colors probably, unless the females aren't attractive

Maybe I'm wrong (and I hope I am) but I've watched every livestream so far and that's the vibe I got from Steven. I'm someone who's very sensitive about white people appropriating Black and Native American hairstyles and culture (also Asian) but I also don't think that elves should all be fair-skinned so I don't really see a reason for any kind of limitation. You're allowed to be inspired and experiment.
    Anyway, that's enough of me. I feel like I'm spamming and that was never my intention. I also hope I didn't come across as combative. I just felt the need to explain myself after giving an in-depth criticism/suggestion.
  • Options
    Nah you seemed fine to me. And yeah lets not even get started with IS's need for a cultural relations manager lol.

• Options
    DakHakDakHak Member
    The ability to colour different parts of the hair with different highlights would be great.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just go wild with the availability of different styles/colors so long as they aren’t garish and generally stick to the games artstyle. Same thing with facial hair. Color/sheen/length/density/etc sliders and bits and bobs options(jewelry and the like) are a must and an expectation in 2022. Race restrictions are ok with me as long as they make sense lore/artstyle wise.
  • Options
    Skyri02Skyri02 Member
    I want to say that i love how detailed they make the hairs in ashes.
    I especily love this (i do no what to call them) xD this stuff here makes the hair feel more cute/wild?
    Hairaa.jpg

Rings inbuded in the hair. some are everywhere and other styles have 2 rings on the right side and maybe 3 rings on the left side so it looks uneven.
    And some hairstyles can have beautiful silk ropes braided with the hair.
    Rings_in_hairs.jpg

I found something intresting. Hair that has some sparkle/glitter/shiny stuff on them. Looks kinda magical. I think i would love to have maybe a Py'rai with pure white hair and some "glitter" in it. This glitter doesnt have to be overwhelming. Lets describe it like this, i would love to have hair that is exactly like new fallen powder snow in the sun, its sparkles ^^
    Sparkling_hair.jpg

Some more inspirations for hairstyles i would like to see in the game ^^
    Long_ponytail.jpg

hiirrzz.jpg

Hairstyyl.jpg

hairrrss.jpg

hairstttykls.jpg

hairz.jpg

hairstyllelstwh.jpg

hairrriz.jpg