Talking about Mounting before Combat, during Combat and after Combat.

Comments

• But yes Otr, if you’re talking about actually defending it’s rider, that should certainly be a specialty thing. And perhaps dependent on a degree of luxury afforded to the mount by a high level stable. The mount would need to know it has it better with you than in the wild. And would probably need a certain background to even consider that type of behavior while still maintaining obedience in primary purpose. You can read unease in a horse, but it’s not going to run up and kick a rogue in the face for pulling their blades on you. In most cases it would probably just freak out, I’d imagine.

But this is why we have different mount types - travel, combat, escape, and more. That trait would obviously fall under combat, since it involves the mount engaging with the enemy.
  • Just popping in to agree with the OP. There should be some drawback or delay related to mounting, especially if you're currently getting hit in combat.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Otr wrote: »
    In real world, a mount which would protect it's rider is a bit harder to obtain.
    The creature which defends the human, is encouraged and feels having the freedom to take decisions.
    The one which you ride, is encouraged to follow orders and preferably to stay where you left it and wait for you to return.
    To have one you can ride and would also defend you, it should be a predator which evolved to live in symbiosis with a weaker creature, which he would value for the services it brings. And the human would take the place of that creature.
    I think combat mounts will be a bit harder to obtain than thirst ones which will be available, so...
    That's OK.
    edited July 2022
    Warth wrote: »
    You really want a notification whenever another player is near you? Seems rather distracting and immersion breaking when your stag growls 20 times an hour just because there is passer-bys.
    Why would it be immersion-breaking if I breed for that?
    Why would you assume that mount would be in a place where people pass by me twenty times per hour?
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    My take.

-Before or after combat, mounting up should be normal.
    -If you're in combat, mounting up should take longer than a normal mount-up.
    -If you are taking damage you should not be able to mount up.
    -if you take damage while in the process of mounting up you should be dazed/dismounted
    -if you take damage while mounted, the affect should be determined by the type of mount you are on. For example, a combat mount shouldn't have any negative affects added while a purely travel based mount would have a % chance for you to be dismounted/dazed when damaged.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • WarthWarth Member
    I agree with everything you said except the bold part.
    Dolyem wrote: »
    My take.

-if you take damage while in the process of mounting up you should be dazed/dismounted
    -if you take damage while mounted, the affect should be determined by the type of mount you are on. For example, a combat mount shouldn't have any negative affects added while a purely travel based mount would have a % chance for you to be dismounted/dazed when damaged.

A percent change is a garbage way to do it. It literally only ends in frustration.
    Frustration of the attacking player if the % doesn't trigger.
    Frustration of the fleeing player if the % does trigger.

Make it 100% instead to dismount once a certain damage thresh hold was hit. Then you can also vary the damage threshhold depending on the type of mount (combat vs. travel / horse vs rhinoceros).
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    Warth wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said except the bold part.
    My take.

A percent change is a garbage way to do it. It literally only ends in frustration.
    Frustration of the attacking player if the % doesn't trigger.
    Frustration of the fleeing player if the % does trigger.

Make it 100% instead to dismount once a certain damage thresh hold was hit. Then you can also vary the damage threshhold depending on the type of mount (combat vs. travel / horse vs rhinoceros).

thats fair
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • JawjakJawjak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want to ask Steven his thoughts on this, cause I am also looking at is weight also being considered on the mount? Like you can only carry x amount of items on you, if you go overweight, are you unable to remount until you lose some weight, able to put a storage bag on your mount, or having the ability to put your stuff in your mount and have it automatically run back to town and back to you? (I know this is a highly unlikely scenario but having a horse or some fast moving animal to deliver your goods to someone out in a node or need to back at your base asap while you need to do other things before going back is interesting) Some games like Satisfactory has a remember path method for some of the vehicles in game. Just putting my 2 cents out there.
  • I'd like something similar to WoW, summoning a mount out of combat only takes a couple of seconds but in combat it takes a bit more and if you take damage your cast time briefly pauses. So if you think you can take the damage for the summon then do it, but it gives the combatant the change to kill you before you get on with their damage and CC as they could always stun you mid summon.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • JawjakJawjak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I understand if you are CCed/Get dismounted/Taking Tick Damage you shouldn't be able to mount until you get out of combat for a few seconds or if you don't do something like actions/spells you can mount. I might be getting too deep on details but mounting during pvp can change a lot of strategy.
    edited August 2022
    Ashes has combat mounts.
    There cannot be a mechanism that prevents Gatherers from getting on a mount while they are taking damage.

That gives all the advantage to mounted players attacking Gatherers. It means Gatherers have an extreme disadvantage if they wish to escape. In addition to the disadvantage of not being able to respond in kind with their own mounted combat attack.
  • mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think certain mounts should allow for calvary play and mounted combat that have a higher degree of difficulty to unmount the player
  • DizzDizz Member
    Mount can fight with me is a good idea, if mount carries something for me is better and if mount carried too much I can't ride it or it will be slow than it should be etc, so animal husbandry has more things to play not just make new breed but also training to make mounts stronger to do more things just like enchant gears.

I don't really like you can frequently get on mount or glider and get down then fight on ground just like use mobility skills to reposition yourself, it's understandable and barely able to accept but feel it's a lazy design.

I like mounts in GW2 I'd like to see further develop or design beyond mounts in GW2, for example I'd like to see fighting on mount like mongolian etc able to ride on mount and shooting arrows or swing sword difference is just we have mages can cast spells, and it’s not like that the one who on mount or ranged/melee on mount will have the absolutely advantage, it's should more like depend on your archetype/build and the timing about what you do on the mount or on ground.

Out of combat I'd like to have the joy of riding mounts like mounts in GW2, don't like Archeage or BDO or MHR, one skill boost speed for X seconds or one button to drift like I'm playing Mario Kart, it's 2022 now it looks silly.

I mean Intrepid, you design other parts quite good although it might because you take ideas from some other games I didn't play before but about mounts you really should reference other games not from Korea, at least GW2 their mount mechanic is very good.
    A casual follower from TW.
  • edited August 2022
    In ESO you can't mount while in combat. Which i think should be the same in Ashes. Unless they allow mount combat. A mount cooldown could be added.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes has combat mounts.
    There cannot be a mechanism that prevents Gatherers from getting on a mount while they are taking damage.

That gives all the advantage to mounted players attacking Gatherers. It means Gatherers have an extreme disadvantage if they wish to escape. In addition to the disadvantage of not being able to respond in kind with their own mounted combat attack.

Exactly. Which is why I’d allow the summon / mounting regardless of ‘in combat’ status - as long as the mount could be attacked/disabled/killed.

Has there been any decision on corruption (or even a % of corruption)?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • i hope for balance on mounting during combat
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes has combat mounts.

I don't see this as a bad thing. If you're in the process of doing one action/process, why shouldn't you be at a disadvantage in an attempt to suddenly switch that process to something else? Adds risk vs reward. If you're out gathering, you are gathering your rewards at the risk of having someone hostile roll up on you. Need to look over your shoulder if you're out on your own.

Edit: I don't think they shouldn't be able to mount, but I do think they should be able to be prevented from mounting by the attacker. And at the very least take longer to mount while in combat.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Um. No. Engaging in activities as a Non-Combatant and then being hindered from escaping simply because someone chose to attack you is all risk and no reward.
    It's a PvX game. Not a PvP game where PvPers have considerable advantage over PvEers.
    CROW3 wrote: »

Exactly. Which is why I’d allow the summon / mounting regardless of ‘in combat’ status - as long as the mount could be attacked/disabled/killed.

Has there been any decision on corruption (or even a % of corruption)?
    If I understood your question correctly...
    My understanding at the moment is that killing mounts does not give Corruption.
    Seems to be similar to destroying a Caravan.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Um. No. Engaging in activities as a Non-Combatant and then being hindered from escaping simply because someone chose to attack you is all risk and no reward.
    It's a PvX game. Not a PvP game where PvPers have considerable advantage over PvEers.

Its realistic. If you are caught off guard by a hostile, you'll be at a disadvantage
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    Its realistic. If you are caught off guard by a hostile, you'll be at a disadvantage

Well, just because a green was attacked by a purple, doesn’t mean the green was caught off guard. It just means they didn’t initiate the combat with the purple. In fact, the purple may very well be the one caught off guard if the green ends up to be significantly more powerful.

The frequency of this won’t be high, but I’m pointing out an underlying assumption.

It’s also more risk for a green to mount up while in combat if their mount can also be murdered. So I’d rather have no hinderances to the mount mechanics and have the onus be on the attacker to chase the green to ground.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like how the mounts follow the player in AA. I'd prefer static mounts. I'm all for mounting in combat...we won't go into the unrealistic spheres of plate armour and mounting. I just don't like the whipped dog mode that some games give horses.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • CROW3 wrote: »

Well, just because a green was attacked by a purple, doesn’t mean the green was caught off guard. It just means they didn’t initiate the combat with the purple. In fact, the purple may very well be the one caught off guard if the green ends up to be significantly more powerful.

The frequency of this won’t be high, but I’m pointing out a underlying assumption.

It’s also more risk for a green to mount up while in combat if their mount can also be murdered. So I’d rather have no hinderances to the mount mechanics and have the onus be on the attacker to chase the green to ground.

I mean power differences will always be a variable. But while killing a mount can be a thing, I feel like making it difficult to just mount up and run mid combat is better game design.

And if you did make mounts able to be killed, how does that affect the ability to use the mount in the future? Does it get destroyed? Or is it simple as healing/repairing it with the proper materials?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    I feel like making it difficult to just mount up and run mid combat is better game design.

And if you did make mounts able to be killed, how does that affect the ability to use the mount in the future? Does it get destroyed? Or is it simple as healing/repairing it with the proper materials?

Just looking through what’s documented:
    Mounts are generally able to be summoned during combat in the open-world.[23]
    There may be exceptions to this in certain dungeons, instances or other spaces where summoning mounts may not be permitted.[23]
    A mount can be an initiation vehicle; it can be an escape vehicle; it can be utility vehicle; it can be traversal.[23] – Steven Sharif

This also aligns to the corruption gain. If a green player mounted while you attacked them, you chased them down, killed their mount, then killed them - you earned that Red tag. 😉

I didn’t see anything on what happens to mounts upon death. There’s some info on mules that are left behind in the event of a player dying (they can be killed and drop some % of loot).

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • I can see why people would be against not being able to mount up, since if they are mounted you will feel like you can't run from them. You can't attack them if you plan to stay green and knock them off their mount.

They could take a different approach where if you are green and someone flags and attacks you with their mount it allows you to hit their mount without being flagged. And they need to pay whatever value to repair their mount after which adds risk value for them.
    Just use a mule. Player goes corrupted for killing mules then gets double corruption if they kill you too. Of course, you could just fight in pvp - you won't die in reality.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    The game version of “being in combat” is not realistic. Especially if that is as simple as initiating combat with a ranged, tab target, damage over time ability.
    I feel like making it difficult to just mount up and run mid combat is better game design.
    It’s just as likely people will mount up to attack, rather than escape.
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    The game version of “being in combat” is not realistic. Especially if that is as simple as initiating combat with a ranged, tab target, damage over time ability.

I mean, as far as realism goes, being in a fight puts you into a particular state of mind. And to humor your example, if you get damaged while performing a certain action, it should likely become interrupted unless that action is purposely built to deal with taking damage.

Here is a reference to my recommendations earlier
    My take.

That should also give an answer to your combat mount take, as far as where I stand with it.

I don't advocate for NOT being able to mount up during combat. I simply believe you shouldn't be able to do it easily while getting beat on if your goal is to simply run away.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    What about those who can mount a flying mount and fly off?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif