Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Tulnar Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

1235

Comments

  • MycologyMycology Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like the middle and right, not a big fan of the "Ape" look on the left. More so because it looks so much like an Orc and we already have the Ren'Kai. Everything else on this concept page looks great, and may pull me away from the Py'rai.
  • The_Gaming_ButlerThe_Gaming_Butler Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love it. Especially to have something that deviates from the other humanoid races which look closer to each other in appearance.

    I'm excited for the full reveal with 3D models, armor, and such.

    I'm also very curious to see how the options will shape up in the Character Creator.

    As always, really great work, Intrepid Team!
    Ashes of Creation News can be found on The Gaming Butler News Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP31ixSBO7GHKLBefWVcJaA
  • gaeleathgaeleath Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    While i do think these 3 concept pieces look amazing, especially the one on the right. None of them really appear to have lived a long life underground (underrealm).
    The left one i can see scavanging through old ruins, the middle one i can see travelling open fields, and the right one seems like it would thrive in a swamp/ocean.

    I was expecting to see more features of animals living in caves or underground, like bats and moles.
    That said, i dont think Mole/bat features would look as good as the concept pieces you guys have shown.

    TL;DR Theyre not what i was expecting, but i love them.
    Gaeleath.png
  • DizzDizz Member
    The gorilla one looks very good to me, it reminds me Rajang in Monster Hunter.

    The wolf one is not good as the gorilla one because the horn and ear are not so match to the imagination of wolf specially the ear it’s too much like Batman's helmet and the herbivore like horns are good but I don’t know if it’s good to show a combination of two opposite characteristics at the first showcase I more like to see the simple baseline then the diversity or in other words this concept art makes me thinking which part I can and can’t change like if I want to make a tulnar that whole face covered by fur and look like a werewolf in D2 but in this art I not sure I can do what I want.

    The lizard one is the one I really don't like it, maybe is the angle or maybe because I'm not focus at the face only, it’s too much human characteristics like the skin outside of the face area is more like a silkworm, and it’s too close to the lizard man in Sipderman movie which also more human than lizard/dragon, BUT consider it says “Reptilian Tulnar” in wiki so maybe it should looks like that, in that case I apologize, before the stream I always thought lizard tulnar will looks like Dragonborn in D&D I don't know if I explain my self correctly I hope you understand what I'm talking.

    I always imagine that after the apocalypse the world not so easy to survive or live a life if you are just a human so the leftover major and minor races become one race the tulnar to survive in Underrealm and Verra after the apocalypse, because of that the more beast or animal like characteristic feel more natural to me, the point is to survive in apocalypse and after and very big chance that civilization goes backwards so badly so the more human characteristic is more unlikely to survive, so to me I’d like to able to create my tulnar character leans more beast like looking.

    Last, if there is a wolf characteristic tulnar, is there any chance for cat/leopard/lion/tiger tulnar? I want cat characteristic tulnar please?
    A casual follower from TW.
  • GubiakGubiak Member
    edited August 3
    I was looking forward towards the Tulnar reveal but I have to admit that I am somewhat disappointed.
    We didn't get to see a lot but what we saw (according to what Steven said) is three variant influences (Humanoid, Mammalian, Reptilian) cranked to 100%. From the get-go my reaction was "God those are hella flat". I thought that using 100% of an influence would yield more structural differences (Mammalian would have longer muzzles, reptilians longer necks and longer nose ridges more akin to reptiles/snakes/dragons ). As of right now this feels like a fairly safe design that has a potential to be something more interesting.

    The middle concept with a manticore-esque head, holds most interesting features of the design possibilities. It has visibly different placement for ears, horns, face of a lion, lots of fur and facial hair. Lizard boy feels fairly bland, very empty neck, head and face features. There is a place for webbing, more visible scales climbing on the back of their neck and face, spinal thorns/horns could be highlighted by a skeletal deformation that forces them through skin and not an accessory that is just glued on their head. I will however compliment the use of various ridges to accentuate their facial features since hair on a reptilian is not common.

    I will echo here a personal preference that some other people shared in this thread before. It would be nice to choose the type of animal that would lend it's features to our Tulnar's design and it would be nice to crank up animalistic features even higher if one chooses to do so.

    The left face that resembles a monkey/oni type creature gives me flashbacks of orcs from Gothic franchise. Hard pass from me but I can understand if someone would like a more demonic looking humanoid with horns and what-not.

    I am not sure if this is a right place or time to discuss architectural and cultural influences of Tulnar race but it would be nice to see a race that is mostly focused on survival in uncertain times and makes do with what is available. Making houses inside of cave walls, huge rocks, giant mushrooms to survive in the underground. This does not mean that all of them have abandoned typical concepts for buildings but they should be more focused on fuction rather than flashiness and artistry of their decor. Where a typical underdark from DnD-type settings would feature a gothic architecture of Drows it is my understanding that mostly animal/beast men would be surviving for centuries under the ground.

    There is a lot that I would like to see about Tulnar that was not shown which could influence my opinion like their stances, animations, posture, scale, race mixes and female variants. I hope some of this nitpicking will be useful and you will create a fantasy race with the biggest design potential to date.

    (Some of my friends would also like an insect/bug variant added to Tulnar options so there is that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
  • I've been following this game for a while now to see it's progress and I created a new account just now to say don't change anything.

    The Tulnar look better than I imagined them in my mind. I was thinking it'd be some sort of cutesy furry vibe but it's not like that at all. The Tulnar look grotesque and pissed off as they should be for being forced to live underground their whole lives.
  • I love everything you all have done I would like to see less horns on everything and more tribal head and body gear on everything.
    Your goblins look and feel amazing and the gold head dress was perfect in one of the videos I watched.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing how this race in particular plays out as far as design concept goes, particularly to see if the ability to make more humanoid features prominent in order to design a character that looks like the Tiefling or Tabaxi of DnD lore as well as the beast like races shown in the head shot concepts posted by the devs.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope Orcs are to Norns as Tulnar are to Charr in terms of size and muscle density.
  • SamsonSamson Member
    The concept art is WAY better than I could even imagine. Looking forward to seeing their 3D models. Absolutely love it! :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Absolutely love how the Lizard Tulnar looks! 100% going pure lizard. Really curious on the color variety for scales.
    I really hope that there is some kind of scaling option for the horn styles to make the horns bigger or smaller, that'd add a ton of variety to them.
    I get my water bottled in Flint
  • Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nicely done. I enjoy them.

    -They look a bit cartoony atm. As well as the new orcs. Its hard to get a feel for which direction the game is going with their art at times. Some look more realistic and other much more warcraft art stylized. I'd like to see them lean more realistic so the game has its own visual look and feel and doesn't feel like a clone or dumbed down for the sake of fidelity as was mentioned.

    As others have mentioned I think it would be interesting to see sliders from avian/bird to lizard/reptile through dragons for things like beaks, lizard snouts, gentle bird stalks and feet to dragons powerful claws and talons, reptilian eyes, scales, feathers, etc. I think that would make for an interesting character customization and fun for your artists.

    I do like what was presented though and look forward to seeing them more fully presented (crossing fingers for a tad more realistic look).
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

  • WroorWroor Member
    This is better than furry dragons from wow
  • DizzDizz Member
    edited August 6
    Gubiak wrote: »
    I was looking forward towards the Tulnar reveal but I have to admit that I am somewhat disappointed.
    We didn't get to see a lot but what we saw (according to what Steven said) is three variant influences (Humanoid, Mammalian, Reptilian) cranked to 100%. From the get-go my reaction was "God those are hella flat". I thought that using 100% of an influence would yield more structural differences (Mammalian would have longer muzzles, reptilians longer necks and longer nose ridges more akin to reptiles/snakes/dragons ). As of right now this feels like a fairly safe design that has a potential to be something more interesting.

    The middle concept with a manticore-esque head, holds most interesting features of the design possibilities. It has visibly different placement for ears, horns, face of a lion, lots of fur and facial hair. Lizard boy feels fairly bland, very empty neck, head and face features. There is a place for webbing, more visible scales climbing on the back of their neck and face, spinal thorns/horns could be highlighted by a skeletal deformation that forces them through skin and not an accessory that is just glued on their head. I will however compliment the use of various ridges to accentuate their facial features since hair on a reptilian is not common.

    I will echo here a personal preference that some other people shared in this thread before. It would be nice to choose the type of animal that would lend it's features to our Tulnar's design and it would be nice to crank up animalistic features even higher if one chooses to do so.

    The left face that resembles a monkey/oni type creature gives me flashbacks of orcs from Gothic franchise. Hard pass from me but I can understand if someone would like a more demonic looking humanoid with horns and what-not.

    I am not sure if this is a right place or time to discuss architectural and cultural influences of Tulnar race but it would be nice to see a race that is mostly focused on survival in uncertain times and makes do with what is available. Making houses inside of cave walls, huge rocks, giant mushrooms to survive in the underground. This does not mean that all of them have abandoned typical concepts for buildings but they should be more focused on fuction rather than flashiness and artistry of their decor. Where a typical underdark from DnD-type settings would feature a gothic architecture of Drows it is my understanding that mostly animal/beast men would be surviving for centuries under the ground.

    There is a lot that I would like to see about Tulnar that was not shown which could influence my opinion like their stances, animations, posture, scale, race mixes and female variants. I hope some of this nitpicking will be useful and you will create a fantasy race with the biggest design potential to date.

    (Some of my friends would also like an insect/bug variant added to Tulnar options so there is that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )


    Totally agree with you, I always choose the race has less human element or most unreal race to play if I allowed to choose my character's race in game.

    I also like to see lizard Tulnar’s mouth has beak feature as options like Rathalos.
    saup7cjfturs.jpg

    And teeth like Kushala Daora that you still can see the teeth while the mouth closed as options.
    q0zunibed8dw.jpg

    And I also want to see that player able to blend wolf face but fur replace with scale so player like myself can make a werewolf like Lunagaron.
    nx9kvsj331k3.png

    Plus I hope Tulnar can be like Charr in GW2 and Lunagaron in MHR:SB has two stance that running on both hands and legs and also standing on two feet.(I can't find a good imagine of Charr running and standing and I onlly have Mac can't play GW2 for a long time so sorry.)
    mnd5tiad5vjn.jpg

    I have to say that old silhouette concept art made the expectation so high, I personally love to have tail on my Tulnar, and every Tulnar has tail already appeals to me in old silhouette concept art.

    xvtgmk00tj8f.png
    I like 1,3,4,6,7,8,9 in this art, especially 8 the standing pose and that legs are so cool, 1 and 3 four limbs shape and claws are so nice, and 4,6,7 has nice dragon like head shape.

    0qqi5cshnw6p.png
    I like 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14 in this art, especially 11,12 the pose body type are so cool, and how 5,6,7,9 stand on feet are so cool and so similar to predator animals like leopard lion wolf and dragon.

    Once again I think the three Tulnar revealed in stream are very good, I just a player hope things could be better.
    A casual follower from TW.
  • pupcatpupcat Member
    im going to be honest.... this race is the only reason i want to really play this game. not that bluntly, but ive been looking for a race like this in an mmo for so long, im so excited...... i just hope im able to make the women sexy.... or else ill be disappointed. coming from a woman as myself.
  • XefjordXefjord Member
    One thing I think people need to keep in mind when talking about wanting different body types between each of the three variants is that this IS still one race, with sliders mixing and matching them, and they have to make armor that fits each variant and every in-between. Making all of the variants radically different in body type will mean an absurd amount of armor variations that just aren't really feasible for the devs. I think these bad boys look pretty cool, and I hope that people temper their expectations a bit.
  • MauxfauxMauxfaux Member
    edited August 5
    Having options/sliders for intensity of other parts of the face/body would be great. Longer/shorter/no horns, muzzle, ears, hair, etc. It's what motivated me to blend the reptilian and canine influences to create this:
    rd7htq4dt8bm.png

  • WoodOxWoodOx Member, Explorer, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is the race I was most excited for, and still am most excited for. Woohoo! I'm a huge fan of the reptilian look. I have not seen the video yet >.> so I am assuming these are the males. My only concern is that the females won't look as badass and be too humanized or something. Keep up the awesome designs!
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mauxfaux wrote: »
    Having options/sliders for intensity of other parts of the face/body would be great. Longer/shorter/no horns, muzzle, ears, hair, etc. It's what motivated me to blend the reptilian and canine influences to create this:
    rd7htq4dt8bm.png

    BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH. Nice work mate. This is friggin amazing. IS if this isn't possible in your cc, that'd be a waste.
    Alkali Witch
  • DizzDizz Member
    Mauxfaux wrote: »
    Having options/sliders for intensity of other parts of the face/body would be great. Longer/shorter/no horns, muzzle, ears, hair, etc. It's what motivated me to blend the reptilian and canine influences to create this:
    rd7htq4dt8bm.png

    This is amazing, I like it.

    But if it's okay to dev team, I still want to see more and further beyond beast/monster characteristic on Tulnar.
    A casual follower from TW.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited August 7
    The path seems to me very successful , the truth too much potential .
    I hope that the image they have are intimidating, really beings of the underworld, something that makes feel fear and terror to their enemies.
    A balrog, yes, they should make you feel like you're about to face a Barlog.

    ERiJdbq.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • OwrenOwren Member
    Puuurrrrrfection ;)
  • AgouroAgouro Member
    edited August 7
    A bird and bug versions of tulnar and you are good to go intrepid (one of the most diverses mmorpgs)

    It would be good to help dark elfs, gnomes and goblins as well eventually (maybe future expansions)
    For the New Order!
  • i like it, i like it, I LIKE IT! "YES, yes yeeees"
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    Hopefully there will be an insta-ban on any in-game ERP so we don't get Moonguard Lions Pride Inn 2.0.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • XefjordXefjord Member
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an insta-ban on any in-game ERP so we don't get Moonguard Lions Pride Inn 2.0.

    You don't seem to believe in fun. What happens behind closed freehold doors is none of my business :P
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    Xefjord wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an insta-ban on any in-game ERP so we don't get Moonguard Lions Pride Inn 2.0.

    You don't seem to believe in fun. What happens behind closed freehold doors is none of my business :P

    You can have your fun in a discord server. 😁
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • viguevigue Member
    The lion looking one stands out the most for me. It just feels more right and natural. The right one seems kind of bare and standard if that makes sense. The left one is my second choice, but the horns are throwing it off a bit. Maybe a different style of horns?
  • Wroor wrote: »
    This is better than furry dragons from wow

    It's literally just 3 head concept art images lol How about you wait and see what they actually will look like in game before wanting to make that claim.
  • decompilerdecompiler Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited August 8
    I personally wouldn't play them. But the only issue I have is that they feel like 3 separate races (Ape, Lion, Lizard). The only similarity is the horns, the eyes and jewelry. I understand you have sliders, but I would like to see some more consistency between these different looks. Is there something we can do to make them feel like 1 race and not 3 separate races?

    This is intended.

    https://www.aocwiki.net/Races#Tulnar

    "The Tulnar is a combination of four major races and many minor races that were left behind on Verra after the apocalypse."

    "They're a culmination of the leftover races, not just the leftover major race populations, but the leftover minor races as well; and that's what gives them their attributes that are bestial, or reptilian, humanoid; and that players can use sliders to influence the visual representation of. But in a similar fashion, their cultural markers are also going to be a culmination of different influences, so they're very differently constructed culture than what is found in the other eight races." – Steven Sharif
Sign In or Register to comment.