Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Tulnar Concept Art Shown During July Livestream

Comments

• Options
    decompilerdecompiler Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    "What do you like about the current art direction of this race?"
    Between these concepts and the previous silhouettes, I love the diversity. I don't play fantasy games so I can be a human.
    ...or a slightly shorter human.
    ...or a human with pointy ears.
    ...or a blue/green/purple/plaid human.
    ...etc.

"Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?"
    I'm failing to find it now, but I thought I recalled (sometime in the last 5 years) something being mentioned about a rodent-like species being part of the Tulnar's racial amalgam. I would very much like to see that...

Appearance sliders are all well and good, but I'm most anxious to see how this racial amalgam plays out culturally. Can't help but feel that this has massive potential.
  • Options
    I only have one thing to say.

It's a good job.

You can feel the passion for detail.

But I keep saying that we need other animals.

Wolf, hyena, clearly, the bestiaries of MMOs.

Just, look at the hype for the "anthroporphic" characters of Elden Ring.

Well though I admit Blaidd looks like a decrepit old wolf.

But that's what we want to be able to do, characters with scars, burns to show that we are a veteran etc etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Q2_tirnz8
  • Options
    DgtlsharkDgtlshark Member
    edited August 2022
    I was about to criticize the dragon race to the right but then I realized there's an extensive character creation screen you made. Too much forehead, but that's just being picky. The fact you have a lot of non human races is super good. Much like. I just prefer the more beast side of the spectrum

You def should have tons of horn options, I'd be surprised if ya didn't. Spine options are cool, color options are always the best. Special eye options always loved and welcomed. The ridges on their eyes and how deep or big their eye sockets are. Make them look super dragon like. Scales vs armor plated chest option I would love that!! I just don't like the big forehead 😂.

The lion guy looks really nice, same thing though as far as options but cat wise
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an insta-ban on any in-game ERP so we don't get Moonguard Lions Pride Inn 2.0.

As much as I absolutely dislike ERP and think its disgusting - I don't want the company to police player agency at all unless it's a serious case of hate speech or racism, everything else, no matter how sick i think it is - players should have the agency to do so, this goes from ERP to scamming/griefing other players ingame to trash talking - player agency should be on top of everything, let the players make their bad or good reputations and pay the price ingame

With that said, I will banish ERP from my guild's castle region and PK all those who dare to do such things.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NoeSparksNoeSparks Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I gotta say im not a fan of the concept art. I hoping they look better in the end(i mainly focus on lizard type tulnar personally) but i expected a more dragon/kobold look.

If im a lizard i want a elongated lizardlike/dragon like head rather than a short humanoid head. And have them maybe hunch a little.

But if i was a lion type tulnar id want them to stand more upright and proud.

• Options
    AsraAsra Member
    I don't like it yet. :s

The primate one is fine, but I would love to see changes on the mammal and lizard one, please. In particular the snout of the lizard is too short. Fits for a turtle kind of lizard, but if I want to make a Tulnar toon look like a predator the fierce long snout of a veloceraptor would be a better choice. The mammal one needs a version with a longer snout too, not just like a cat, but like some dogs have. Also without fur on the chest and face it looks infected with mange or even worse like the costumes of the apes in the old planet of the apes movies. ;)

Thank you.
  • Options
    tomelectrictomelectric Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    while the art loooks good the graphics are quickly becoming dated.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    while the art loooks good the graphics are quickly becoming dated.

<game using the latest *just* released UE5 engine>
    Players: The graphics are so outdated!
  • Options
    I'd say so far, so good! I like the direction this concept art is showing us, since there is already quite a bit of variety. I am looking forward to seeing more about them (body shapes and perhaps female models as well).
  • Options
    Like them very much. Reminds me alot of warhammer fantasy beastmen
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an insta-ban on any in-game ERP so we don't get Moonguard Lions Pride Inn 2.0.

As much as I absolutely dislike ERP and think its disgusting - I don't want the company to police player agency at all unless it's a serious case of hate speech or racism, everything else, no matter how sick i think it is - players should have the agency to do so, this goes from ERP to scamming/griefing other players ingame to trash talking - player agency should be on top of everything, let the players make their bad or good reputations and pay the price ingame

With that said, I will banish ERP from my guild's castle region and PK all those who dare to do such things.

All I'm saying is I doubt the game will be rated mature or X so there will likely be kids playing it. Not to mention it's not likely going to be part of the games intent to be a smutfest. So nah, I say keep that shit in discord. But also yea, blatant hate speech and racism should also be there with it
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I really didn't know what to expect before the reaveal, but I am very positively surprised I must admit. The Tulnar look dangerous and I can't wait to play melee classes as this race ! Good Job Dev team !
  • Options
    neemneem Member
    Slightly disappointed that there won't be something insect-like, like these:
    7ssc70egi7vy.png
    mesgraocq32c.png

DV8aRXV.png
  • Options
    Probably the art team already thought of this but i would love to have deep customizations of each type of tulnar... not just keeping a main design and changing hair, horns, or color... but using real animals for a fully customizable look.. .
    xj4fvje5wfh9.jpg
  • Options
    TylthulTylthul Member
    edited August 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I love how the race has 3 distinct archetypes with the opportunity to mix and match features from each. The dragon and wolf are especially great.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    The ape type just looks like beefy red orcs (old Ren’Kai) with horns to me. Not bad, per say, but nothing I sit up in my seat about. Would have preferred bull inspiration here instead of ape, but I admit I'm a bit of a minotaur junky.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    My first thought was "cool...they have their version of Trollocs!" A lot of games may have these are 3 distinct races, but to have them as one with the ability to blend features feels fresh.
  • Options
    • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    • I do like the three distinct images shown here as they show strength and Wisdom
    • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    • You seem over invested in Horns. The Ape Race would look much better with no Horns I think. I am hoping there are alot of color variations
    • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Tulnar concept?
    • It looks like things are progressing very well
    • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?
    • You should have a very large color palete to choose from with many different zones on the body that can be changed. Ability to remove horns or select other choice. Modifying the bod size/structure however I would put some limitations on altering body height and mass per species so it is reasonable. Eg being Ape race shouldnt be really short or to thin or too fat.
    Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Tulnar race design.
    You need at least another 3 species to round out what this community or Animalistic Huminoids is. You need some representation on the smaller fast stealthier side of the spectrum like a weasel type race. You could add a slower race that is very defensive and strong Like a Turtle or Armadillo. A different style of Reptile like Croc and variations on feline and Canine race. This group ultimately could be huge and offers up possibility to add new races or Sub races over time > 1 of the most important keys to success in an MMO are keeping the player engaged and to keep adding stuff in a quick fashion. A Major patch quarterly that adds new content, races, events and changes to current themes. I have no issue with a cosmetic Cash shope and even some helpful items such a larger bag or different unique weapon types as long as they give no advantage to the player in Any way. I also think when you publish cosmetic packs you should have a limited pack that NEVER comes back or if it does and this would be a good idea is make it available down the road as a rare drop from a very tough Challenge. You also need cosmetics that do rotate throughout the year.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Friday, August 12, 2022, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs! [/quote]

• Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the concepts for each variation. Completely Unique to anything we see in other playable character races which is exactly what the races have been yearning for, that unique feel and you've nailed it! I'll be interested to know how helmets etc will interact with their horns & facial features similarly to the Py'rai.
  • Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

- I really like that the Tulnar look very animalistic and realistic instead of going in an overly anthropomorphic and cartoonish style. Keeping true to this direction is huge in my opinion.

- I like that their silhouettes seem to be similar enough to recognize them as Tulnar, but different enough to distinguish them from each other especially due to their horn shape and size differences.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

- The eyes definitely all look very similar, very small, and seem to have very little intrigue to them.
    Would be great to see animations and expressions in their faces that differ from typical humanoid expressions. For example, the reptilian Tulnar could mimic the different ways reptiles blink in real-life.

- The Tulnar all seem very bulky and masculine, and I worry there won’t be any slimmer or feminine variations.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Tulnar race?

- Horn customization (within their respective identity) with the ability to change the horns with nearly the same amount of customization that usually goes into hair customization. Length, shape, color (with gradients), accessories, etc.

- I think tails need to be very polished and must be implemented to make the races feel truly animalistic. I would want as high a number as possible of different tail variations as well because this and the horns will be highly visible as you play as a Tulnar.

- Different hair/scale types, colors, and lengths. Different patterns for their skin as well.
  • Options
    vahrovahro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    On the whole, I'm mega excited about the performance and it reinforces my decision to play a Tulnar later. Especially the fact that Tulnar have multiple directions pleases me immensely. What I still lack a little in the performance are Tulnar that are more similar to the main races, because representatives of these races have also hidden down there. Now I don't mean that I want to create an elf as a Tulnar, but rather that there could be a quite human looking Tulnar with fur and elven ears.

Am already mega excited for more information and if you in one of the next Cosmetic Sale times Tulnar sets sold I will certainly grab :D
  • Options
    Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This race looks so cool and unique. I like that it is a more adult and more badass version of what most games create humanoid races. Loving the options of manes and horns and skin types. Can’t wait to see these three versions and their animations especially how they walk and fight and interact with the world differently than the other races. Especially curious about their postures and walking animations.
  • Options
    Whether or not this was the initial plan, I would like to see a race of lizard-like people. Much like the Tulnar example on the right.
  • Options
    Partially satisfied but confused.

I think Tulnar should enable the Reptilian, Minotaur and Werewolf fantasies.

I would also love an expansion which enables the insectoid, lovecraftian fishmen and centaur.

So far, only the Reptilian fantasy seems to be online, not so sure about the others.
  • Options
    Loving it.

The idea of a slider to tip between mammal, canine, and reptile is amazing. With what I want for Ren'Kai it may intersect with Mammal / Reptile Tulnar some, so I think it's important to keep Ren'Kai distinct from beasts, and also ensure they don't go too elvish.

Sliders for hand and feet size is especially important for Tulnar I expect. You may have small and more humanoid hands, or large and more monstrous claws/paws. Literally scaling in size and also able to morph the hand into more weapon looking and less something that grasps onto tools/weapons.

Sliders to adjust the hairiness/scaliness.

Make sure we don't just cover them in fur/hair. Lets get the underlaying bone structure unique still. Or be able to shape and style the fur as if it was an underlaying bone structure. Have the mesh scale with the sliders chosen so we don't have hair clipping through armor, but rather bundling and protruding from the seams as appropriate.
  • Options
    Honestly these look so good, I love how they all have a different feel to the race. Imagine an avian feel to the race, perfect addition to the Tulnar.
  • Options
    They look very interesting and I'm curious to see how varied you can truly make them in the character creator. Keep up the great work!
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    I'm a little late in response to this but to be honest while I am intrigued by the Tulnar's many facets in physical appearance only the lizardish/dragon option really interests me. I have never played a character that even reinds me of a "furry". I mean that could change based on the how the development goes but I think currently looking at these concepts the "V" looking lizard is looking good to me (I'm not a fan of gorillas or wolves).
  • Options
    Aesthetically look amazing. Would like to see a more animal like underground/ lives in darkness posture. The posture is very humanoid and that's probably what the team is going for but I think it would be cooler if they had a more forward frame especially around the neck and head to portray a predator about to pounce on its prey sort of vibe.

As always, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Looks super cool. If we can really make characters like this, I think it'll be amazing.
    0n1r4knbcjkg.png
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, had hoped for something more lean/agile, but we already have a lot of races for that fantasy.
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    Honestly I've already made up my mind that once I start playing I'll chose this race, I was between this one and the elves since I tend to like more of a fantasy/mystical vibe. However I hope that, to distinguish them from the orcs who are kinda inherently ugly to our standards, we would be able to modify pretty much all of their features so that they can show the variety woven into their lore. Basically what I mean is that I would like to potentially make a "not ugly" character of this race, I would probably go more into the lizard style since I like those vibes more and I would always keep those scales and horns to some extent, also I don't mind the colorful skin tones. But I would like to customize the mouth, jaw and nose shapes above all, and also perhaps to potentially add hair or "hair-looking features" like some type of scales or tissue or whatever that could resemble scales (as some animated characters somehow have tentacles that kinda resemble hair in media).