Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What might 'actually' be AoC's biggest problem

Comments

• Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Abarat wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

If you don't know what kind of things PvE players want to see, don't go bullshitting that Intrepid are showing PvE things. It makes you look a little stupid, to be honest.

They have not been showing "PVE things"?

I think I am not the one who looks stupid, to be honest. You perhaps are spending too much time, a little too invested in this made up fight you are waging.

Congrats on the most forum posts. I guess all of them cant be good when you feel that much pressure to keep pumping them out to have the most.

Side note, what specific PVP things have they "shown"?

I know how you feel, honestly I don't think you will get through to him. I've gone back and forth for like 100 pages and nothing changes :/ just don't' get drawn into the insults its a trap.

this is PvP 😂

It only be pvp if I can fight in game lmao, any new worlders in chat for fresh servers :)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2022

Side note, what specific PVP things have they "shown"?

As I said, I'd be happy with them just talking about some systems that are used in conjunction with PvE, not just showing us some PvE (I am fully aware that no actual PvE encounter will be ready yet).

In terms of what I mean in relation to PvP, we literally just learned that PvP will be always on in the ocean - so an entire sphere of gameplay with it's own gearing and class system is set to be more heavily focused on PvP than it was assumed by most to be.

So cool, tell us something new about PvE too.

Or there is the siege aftermath, where the area is set as FFA PvP for days afterwards. That is a new PvP thing that we didnt know before.

So cool, tell us something new about PvE too.

Just for reference, the last time we actually heard anything actually new about PvE content was in 2020 - and there is a LOT of doubt that what was talked about then will make it in to the game.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What are you?
    A person who plays the hell out of the few games I like to play.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Just for reference, the last time we actually heard anything actually new about PvE content was in 2020 - and there is a LOT of doubt that what was talked about then will make it in to the game.

What was it?
  • Options

What was it?

Loot drops being based on performance.

This is something that would be a fantastic addition to a game like WoW or FFXIV - any game with instanced content.

In Ashes though, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, and the current theory is that when Intrepid put more thought in to it, they will realize it's a good idea for a different game.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

In Ashes though, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, and the current theory is that when Intrepid put more thought in to it, they will realize it's a good idea for a different game.

current theory? where does this come from?
  • Options
    TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the OP, while I don't think it will be the biggest issue as I believe "Balancing" will be it could play a major part. I truly hope Steven sticks to his vision and doesn't give into the masses, that pile on after coming in late, only to get their way yhen leave the game a few months later.

I don't want this game to be for everyone, I want it to be just the way he described it over the years.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst And
    Wednesday's at 7:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This old thread of mine makes more sense now more than ever.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »

How so? These voices have been consistently loud ever since the change to open seas and Steven has never once changed his direction.

Kudos to him.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    What are you?
    A person who plays the hell out of the few games I like to play.

It's confirmed. Dygz will play the hell out of the game!
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Liniker wrote: »

How so? These voices have been consistently loud ever since the change to open seas and Steven has never once changed his direction.

Kudos to him.

To be fair, with how stubborn Steven is, I dont expect changes until about 12 months of the game going live - or about 18 months too late.
  • Options
    ZarreaZarrea Member
    They should not listen to Asmongold's advice. He would love to see the game fail.
  • Options
    RatzuRatzu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    I love how all of these folks are predicting the game will fail or Steven will be forced to change the game direction after launch. Rather than explain why you are right (besides suiting your preferred playstyle), you have just reduced your points to predicting doom if you aren't listened to. Make a real point that we can all engage with.
    Final5.png
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    All I see is a bunch of whiners that can't get over the fact that this game is not made for them, never was. The direction of the game never changed, nor did the messaging if you've actually been paying attention. The core philosophies and direction have ALWAYS been the same, since the very beginning. People cling to one or two sentences that were said, while simultaneously ignoring the hundreds of other statements and indicators pointing to a PvP or "PvX" focused experience. You cherry picked 2 statements out of hundreds, in a desperate attempt to convince yourselves this game would also cater to you, like all the others, and allow you to live out your PvE fantasies in a protective bubble. We already have dozens of those games and you could go play them right now if you wanted to. Stop trying to turn this game into another participation trophy filled, single player, PvE friendly, farming simulator. Stop trying to ruin another game like you did to New World and so many others. Let us have this ONE game.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To the victor goes the spoils of war.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    All I see is a bunch of whiners that can't get over the fact that this game is not made for them, never was. The direction of the game never changed, nor did the messaging if you've actually been paying attention. The core philosophies and direction have ALWAYS been the same, since the very beginning. People cling to one or two sentences that were said, while simultaneously ignoring the hundreds of other statements and indicators pointing to a PvP or "PvX" focused experience. You cherry picked 2 statements out of hundreds, in a desperate attempt to convince yourselves this game would also cater to you, like all the others, and allow you to live out your PvE fantasies in a protective bubble. We already have dozens of those games and you could go play them right now if you wanted to. Stop trying to turn this game into another participation trophy filled, single player, PvE friendly, farming simulator. Stop trying to ruin another game like you did to New World and so many others. Let us have this ONE game.

This is exactly why I backed them, had a worry things would become more casuals and less pvp systems. Though thankfully they have been sticking to what they set out, while still listening to the feedback that makes sense.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Not sure why you bother necroing a thread that tells us to stop giving feedback. Or more accurately, and what you really mean, stop suggesting things that you personally don't like.

It's not happening.

You're just going to have to find a way to carry on in the face of humans with different ideas than yours.
  • Options

Sorry but I have to speak up here.

As someone who has been following this game since 2016 and is backer number 3 on Kickstarter this is incorrect.

The overall vision has remained largely unchanged, and kudos to Steven for that. However the functionality of solo players and PvE players within Verra has changed overtime.

It's totally fine that it has. This is Steven's game so power to him.

But it is disingenuous everytime someone complains that carebears or casuals or pvers or soloers are trying to change the game. They have just been trying to maintain their spot in the world.
  • Options
    aoc biggest problem is the players in the forum xdddddd
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member

As someone who has been following this game since 2016 and is backer number 3 on Kickstarter this is incorrect.

The overall vision has remained largely unchanged, and kudos to Steven for that. However the functionality of solo players and PvE players within Verra has changed overtime.

But it is disingenuous everytime someone complains that carebears or casuals or pvers or soloers are trying to change the game. They have just been trying to maintain their spot in the world.

To be fair, maintaining that spot usually tends to result in wanting to push pvp out. Understandable for any side to want to be a focus, but seeing as there aren't any MMOs left with a focus on PvP just as much as PvE, I'll always vote to maintain the PvX concept if it means pushing carebears, casuals, PvEers, or Soloers away. Not to say it needs to be that way in every case.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Ratzu wrote: »
    I love how all of these folks are predicting the game will fail or Steven will be forced to change the game direction after launch. Rather than explain why you are right (besides suiting your preferred playstyle), you have just reduced your points to predicting doom if you aren't listened to. Make a real point that we can all engage with.

To be fair, everyone that has said they think the game will fail have backed that up with their reasoning.

It just hasn't been posted in every thread, because these people aren't dicks.

It isn't their fault if you haven't read it.
  • Options
    Trustmebro666Trustmebro666 Member
    edited July 2023
    functionality of solo players and PvE players within Verra has changed overtime.

Has it, though? The only reason why I got excited for Ashes of Creation after reading the Kickstarter back in the day was the fact that the game sounded extremely guild-driven, and there wasn't really much room for PvE players or solo players in the core design of the game. Obviously, back then, I thought they would heavily backpedal on this and start pandering to those types of players for some mass appeal.

So I'm kinda curious, where did this idea come from that you could do something meaningful in Ashes of Creation as a solo player? And allegedly, when did they change away from this idea? Because in my mind, it has always been that way.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

To be fair, maintaining that spot usually tends to result in wanting to push pvp out. Understandable for any side to want to be a focus, but seeing as there aren't any MMOs left with a focus on PvP just as much as PvE, I'll always vote to maintain the PvX concept if it means pushing carebears, casuals, PvEers, or Soloers away. Not to say it needs to be that way in every case.

Honestly, as a long-time lurker, threads and posts like this are doing a good job pushing us away. No worries there.

You want a community of only guilds, with no diverse ecosystem of casuals, soloers, pvers, then no doubt, that's what you'll get.

It'll be an interesting social experiment, if nothing else, and I'll watch with interest.

As a potential customer, the product looks appealing, but threads and posts like this are essentially telling players like me, thousands of us, I'll add, that we're not welcome.

I've watched and been part of many games in development, and this is the first time I've seen one tell people they're not wanted, not needed, and to stop giving feedback.
    "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." —J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So I'm kinda curious, where did this idea come from that you could do something meaningful in Ashes of Creation as a solo player? And allegedly, when did they change away from this idea? Because in my mind, it has always been that way.
    Depends on what you mean by solo player. Also, depends on what you mean by "something meaningful.
    1: Solo player activities inherently contribute to Node progression. Solo players can still join and contribute to the progression of Social Orgs and Relgions.
    All of that is meaningful.

2: Lots of solo players join guilds. They might not join parties to do dungeons or raids. That does not mean they don't do other stuff to benefit their guilds.
    That, also is meaningful.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    LadyZel wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

Honestly, as a long-time lurker, threads and posts like this are doing a good job pushing us away. No worries there.

You want a community of only guilds, with no diverse ecosystem of casuals, soloers, pvers, then no doubt, that's what you'll get.

It'll be an interesting social experiment, if nothing else, and I'll watch with interest.

As a potential customer, the product looks appealing, but threads and posts like this are essentially telling players like me, thousands of us, I'll add, that we're not welcome.

I've watched and been part of many games in development, and this is the first time I've seen one tell people they're not wanted, not needed, and to stop giving feedback.

Not sure where I said that. I simply said if it came down to an ultimatum of choosing PvE or PvP, I'm always choosing PvP. The server is PvX though, and should focus on BOTH. If playing both is not appealing then I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Why play only half the game?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    .... As a potential customer, the product looks appealing, but threads and posts like this are essentially telling players like me, thousands of us, I'll add, that we're not welcome....

AoC may have an issue of gaining an unsavory reputation before gameplay even starts, especially when people quote Steven with "this game is not for everyone and that's OK" (paraphrased), it does leave one with the attitude of "fine, I'll take my money elsewhere.."
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    .... As a potential customer, the product looks appealing, but threads and posts like this are essentially telling players like me, thousands of us, I'll add, that we're not welcome....

AoC may have an issue of gaining an unsavory reputation before gameplay even starts, especially when people quote Steven with "this game is not for everyone and that's OK" (paraphrased), it does leave one with the attitude of "fine, I'll take my money elsewhere.."

well, lets say you and ladyzel go to the store and you can buy coke or pepsi. you buy coke then you realize you didnt like it. will you call the coke company to tell them to change their formula because you didnt like it or will you go back to the store and try pepsi instead?

does coke get a bad reputation now because they didnt change their formula for you?

you know, they are still going to sell all their bottles, wether you buy them or not...
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    Caww wrote: »

well, lets say you and ladyzel go to the store and you can buy coke or pepsi. you buy coke then you realize you didnt like it. will you call the coke company to tell them to change their formula because you didnt like it or will you go back to the store and try pepsi instead?

does coke get a bad reputation now because they didnt change their formula for you?

you know, they are still going to sell all their bottles, wether you buy them or not...

Neither coke nor pepsi invited it's consumer base into the creation process and asked for critical feedback along the way.

Want to try another comparison?
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by solo player. Also, depends on what you mean by "something meaningful.
    1: Solo player activities inherently contribute to Node progression. Solo players can still join and contribute to the progression of Social Orgs and Relgions.
    All of that is meaningful.

2: Lots of solo players join guilds. They might not join parties to do dungeons or raids. That does not mean they don't do other stuff to benefit their guilds.
    That, also is meaningful.

3: It's not all, or probably the majority, of solo players who ALWAYS play solo. Most will team-ups with friends or strangers to form duos, trios or full groups for some types content, whether it's in an opportunistic situation or a recurring "game night" event.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    functionality of solo players and PvE players within Verra has changed overtime.

Has it, though? The only reason why I got excited for Ashes of Creation after reading the Kickstarter back in the day was the fact that the game sounded extremely guild-driven, and there wasn't really much room for PvE players or solo players in the core design of the game. Obviously, back then, I thought they would heavily backpedal on this and start pandering to those types of players for some mass appeal.

Sorry for a late response but yes. I've always known and accepted I'd be in a pvp world. I still jumped at the chance to play this game. But I those early discussions, while different and challenging, solo play was always a viable option and we were told that in many interviews including our own. That sentiment seems to have fallen off.

Which again is fine. Steven's vision, choice, game and money.

But some of us love this game and idea a lot, enough to be intimately involved for 6 years, and valid or not, worry when we feel a change or announcement might negatively effect the world we want to explore.