Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Greens unable to be CCd

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
id like to see what everyone's opinions are on this topic, as this is a forum for feedback etc here is mine,

i understand there needs to be measurements in place to prevent constant ganking, however the corruption system is already extremely heavy as it is, i think making it so greens cant be CCd is not a good idea at all, preventing you from using your tool kit and abilities makes no sense at all and even further how would this tie into any lore whatso ever, it is an open world sandbox style game so things like this should not be prevented, obviously i may be biased as i am planning on doing alot of pvp but this is just my opinion and i would like to hear yours!

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes is a Themebox; not a Sandbox.
  • Options
    Well... to me, if they are a war target, they should be CCed for sure.

Hear me out... people will circunvent wars and ganking by having a green non-citizen alt that belongs to no guilds. Then you will have this courier alt, just to run around in a mule and haul all your goods around. In the long run you will lose nearly no items at all.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    It's about pvp balance. The first attacker has the advantage of first strike, so the defender now has the advantage of a CC counter. And reds can go fuck themselves :)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes is a Themebox; not a Sandbox.

jesus you are hard to have a conversation with you remind me of neil degrasse tyson
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    It's about pvp balance. The first attacker has the advantage of first strike, so the defender now has the advantage of a CC counter. And reds can go fuck themselves :)

i am not a fan of ganking in general tbh i love pvp but camping someone is not for me, however i still think you should not be limited on what abilities you can use, also greens not being abled to be ccd only will really affect some classes, furthermore im curious if there is a list of CC this in cludes, snares, slows? or just stuns
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

Hear me out... people will circunvent wars and ganking by having a green non-citizen alt that belongs to no guilds. Then you will have this courier alt, just to run around in a mule and haul all your goods around. In the long run you will lose nearly no items at all.

i agree, the whole premise of risk vs reward is slowly fading away to me
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    Green CC immunity is partially about stopping griefing

Ex: a person is fighting a mob, and another player uses low damage CC on them (snares/stuns/knockdown) so the mob wins, they die and drop loot

Being able to CC a green (using a very low level weapon to deal minimal damage) circumvents the flagging system. It's a similar reason to why you won't be able to heal mobs
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    Chicago wrote: »

i agree, the whole premise of risk vs reward is slowly fading away to me

I think the risk-reward is being funneled to losing in sieges, because that can will literally strip you out of items

AoC is brutal in that regard and I'm not sure Intrepid will emotionally prepare the community to lose all their shit in a siege. EVE Online is the most brutal game among all games, but if your station gets bashed, all your personal items will be automatically delivered to the closest NPC station... so AoC brutality will surpass EVE in this because in AoC you can lose everything in a structure bash
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Spif wrote: »
    Green CC immunity is partially about stopping griefing

Ex: a person is fighting a mob, and another player uses low damage CC on them (snares/stuns/knockdown) so the mob wins, they die and drop loot

Being able to CC a green (using a very low level weapon to deal minimal damage) circumvents the flagging system. It's a similar reason to why you won't be able to heal mobs

I guess Steven simply had to draw the line somewhere and he chose that, we will never know the which is the best option among all...it's just a design option
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This very much. Well, I don't hate reds, but I understand the sentiment. :D
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Chicago wrote: »
    i am not a fan of ganking in general tbh i love pvp but camping someone is not for me, however i still think you should not be limited on what abilities you can use, also greens not being abled to be ccd only will really affect some classes, furthermore im curious if there is a list of CC this in cludes, snares, slows? or just stuns
    War participants will be free to gank whoever they want and at any time, because they're permaflagged against each other. But pure greens that are just minding their business should be safer. Also, if you're just ganking a green - just keep hitting them with your biggest hits and they'll either die on the spot to give you corruption or try to run away, but w/o good healing it'd be difficult to just run away.

There's the "mount up and run" option, but we don't know how easy that'll be while under attack or how thick the mount will be and whether we'd be able to just kill the mount very quickly.

There's a tiny chance that CCs that come with attack attribute will go through, but that's a very high copium on my count cause this is how it worked in L2.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    or how thick the mount will be

You better believe I'll do animal husbandry until I can breed this thicc boi to ride away on, should I so fancy.
    ZxBMA8G.jpg

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2023
    I think that if they stick to their guns and go ahead with this design, tanks will gain importance on a whole new level.

Initianing group PvP will have to be strategic, using the tanks to bait the enemy for a mistake. Not the usual zergball PvP we see in mmos today (which are also not owpvp).

However, I want to see the Rogue archetype being equiped with:
    1 melee CC skill on high CD, high mp cost and low dmg which can be used on greens.

Such ideas would give real class flavour/identity to AoCs class system when it comes to combat. Mind you, I hate rogues and mages.

Classes need more variety than:
    Cleansing corrupted areas, discovering traps/chests, breaking through "hidden walls" etc etc.

Classes need real combat flavour.

Guild v guild war rules, or siege/caravan areas are a different beast. Nobody is considered green is such situations. All CCs will work straight away.
  • Options
    The no CC is also there so somone like ohh look this guy fighting mobs im just gonna stun him for 2 seconds so the mobs kill him for me and i dont get a penalty cause i didnt do the killing blow :p

I think u should be CC immune for like 3-5 seconds or so when u get hit by somone so initiating a fight isnt so benefitial to the point of there no point to fight back due to being garanteed loss at that stage due to being stunlocked for half your hp and so on. think rogues in wow there.
  • Options
    Ok so with no CC, assuming this also means no slows, its going to be extremely hard neigh impossible to kill a player that is actively building escape tools such as sprints, teleports, etc. Now if the target is low from pve fighting then sure it can happen. However, one on one assuming full hp I could never see it happening. So you would need a group of players, perhaps 3 or more to accomplish this before they gain the distance to evade you.

With this, I feel that there might need to be more eyes on large group ganking dynamics as currently listed corruption goes to the killing blow. I really think it should be party wide corruption instead. You are a cooperating member of a group and can choose to leave at any point. If you see someone in your group attacking a green and you dont want corruption, leave the group. Simple as that.

Some will argue that this can be used to grief others, but again you have the power to curate who joins your groups or which groups you join. They could perhaps add a window of time before a kill that tracks who casts positive effects on the attackers and negative effects (and damage) dealt to the victim to properly spread the corruption to the participants, and this would be preferred. However im not sure that's gonna be easy to implement.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, to ensure that the "peaceful" (if you want to consider killing mobs that) and productive side of the game can actually happen it is positive that greens can basically escape a bit more easy that way.

With that being said - it kind of a carebear mechanic and I don't like that it could allow players to isolate themselves too much from aspects of the world. But instead of going fully either way I would connect this once again to the logic of the world. Since there are events during which parts of the world can become corrupted and that corruption can spread if left alone, I would like to see the immunity to CC be deactivated in all Zones of Influences that are corrupted or next to a corrupted Zone of Influence. That way people insisting on ignoring part of the world and trying to turn it into a farming simulator, will be incentivized to look beyond their safe space and engage in something worthwhile that might be beyond what they would usually do in a game.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Yes, it is a carebear mechanic and even gankers will use this to haul their goods with their alts :wink:

Everything goes back to the corruption system, because the system itself is not great, then all over the game the devs have to keep pulling new rules and mechanics out of their asses.

Because the corruption system is bad, many new little details have to be developed, until we end up with stuff like "greens can't be CCed"
  • Options
    Because the corruption system is bad

Still strongly disagree with that opinion.
  • Options
    How would I protect carebears if I had tens of milions of dollars and a big dev team?

By creating a Justice System in the game, even with players as judges, bails, fines, bounty hunters, executioners, etc
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Kilion wrote: »
    Because the corruption system is bad

Still strongly disagree with that opinion.

Opinions don't matter, I am saying this about the corruption system because from the perspective that recognizes that the lack of effiency of the corruption system created the necessity to add many new rules on top of it, since this deficiency is forcing the devs to create many tiny rules all around the game

It's not my opinion that is bad, it is true that is bad because many tiny rules have to be created
  • Options
    It's not my opinion that is bad, it is true that is bad because many tiny rules have to be created

I've seen you rant about "carebears" in dozens of posts already and a lot of it was far removed from anything that would qualify as constructive criticism. You won't get me convinced that suddenly you just stating facts. You promote your opinion and it's fine to do so, but trying to sell that as objective... nah. Too late for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

I've seen you rant about "carebears" in dozens of posts already and a lot of it was far removed from anything that would qualify as constructive criticism. You won't get me convinced that suddenly you just stating facts. You promote your opinion and it's fine to do so, but trying to sell that as objective... nah. Too late for that.

Raising awareness about the carebear manace is the number one duty of all gamers, everybody who denies this is a backstabber of the gamming community. It is because of them that games became garbage over the years.

I can't give two fucks about what you think is constructive or not, because you clearly can't see the problem.

Carebears want to do their thing and not be interrupted, so Steven came up with this Corruption system that is clearly not enough. Because this system is not even close to being enough then many tiny rules have to be created along th years.
  • Options
    the carebear manace, is the number one duty of all gamers, everybody who denies this is a backstabber of the gamming community. It is because of them that games became garbage over the years.

Crusade music intensifies

More Deus Vult please

• Options
    edited March 2023
    the carebear manace, is the number one duty of all gamers, everybody who denies this is a backstabber of the gamming community. It is because of them that games became garbage over the years.

Crusade music intensifies

More Deus Vult please

My whole point is this: because the Corruption system is not even close to suffice, then many tiny rules all around the game will have to be made... the game will have tens of band-aids all around everywhere

See?
    The system is bad
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    There's the Scribing profession:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scribing

Why can't people create a "teleport to nearest town scroll" and use it once a day?

I get it that Steven doesn't like teleporting around, I don't like abusing teleports either, but not even once a day?
    C'mon!

Or teleport back to town once every life... if you die 10 times a day, then you can teleport once in every of those lifes
  • Options
    [...] because the Corruption system is not even close to suffice, then many tiny rules all around the game will have to be made... the game will have tens of band-aids all around everywhere

The core system suffices very much for the goal and no, there is no innate need for more additional rules. Kill a green, gain corruption, death penalty and fight penalty applies. Full stop.
    Anything beyond that is purely optional, which is why I made my point of saying it shouldn't universally apply even if they decided to put it in despite being unnecessary.
    See?
    The system is bad

Nope. The optional expansion to the core function are simply unnecessary. That provides no information value regarding the quality of the core system.
  • Options
    [...] because the Corruption system is not even close to suffice, then many tiny rules all around the game will have to be made... the game will have tens of band-aids all around everywhere

The core system suffices very much for the goal and no, there is no innate need for more additional rules. Kill a green, gain corruption, death penalty and fight penalty applies. Full stop.
    Anything beyond that is purely optional, which is why I made my point of saying it shouldn't universally apply even if they decided to put it in despite being unnecessary.
    See?
    The system is bad

Nope. The optional expansion to the core function are simply unnecessary. That provides no information value regarding the quality of the core system.

Contradiction detected!!!!
    This very thread about greens not being able to be CCed is a band-aid

Stop it, get some help.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Well, here's another tiny rule to be learned, isn't it? Someday I will have to make a diagram having all the rules, extra rules, conditions and scenarios, so I can fully exploit it for my own benefit.

Keep sending more and more rules, I like chaos and I like even better when others don't know every little detail while I do know them all. <3
  • Options
    This very thread about greens not being able to be CCed is a band-aid
    Stop it, get some help.

And where did I disagree with that?

Contradiction *imagined!!!!

There, I fixed that for you.
  • Options
    GospellGospell Member
    edited March 2023
    I do not understand why you are trying in every possible way to limit the pk players? They are the same players, they are looking for fun, for them the penalty system works anyway. If you don't want to get stunned or slowed, buy/make protection from going through negative effects. My experience of playing mmo started with l2 in 2006, before that I was not interested in this genre. I still remember all those emotions that I got when we tried to get out of the city and catch the player's pk, I remember how he killed me and I got angry, I said, wait, I'll grow up and kick your ass, I remember how we teleported to others high-level towns and asked us to help catch the pk.I remember how we caught him and everyone had fun. And then when they caught up, they just laughed and joked about him. I remember when we created our clan and tried to raise it to the level, we ran around the area and looked for some things, and then we noticed a high level of pk in the distance and we ran away from him with the whole clan, shouting curses at him, and he ran after us and also cursed xD. I remember being a pk myself, how a mob of noobs hunted me. I remember we fought against the pc clan and it was a damn good battle. And there were a lot of great memories related to the pk system that I can tell. After all, it is precisely such moments that you will remember, and not how you killed 1000 mobs in safety. What are you worried about? For the numbers of lost experience or for the virtual things that you drop? Vivid memories are much more important.