Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption/pvp

Comments

• Options
    tautau wrote: »
    If someone risks their valuable personal gear because they went red because another player irritated them, it appears to me to be a personal issue with the player going red ~ their lack of personal self-control is potentially costing them their valuable item(s).

They should not blame the game rules, they would be better served learning to tame their emotions and learn to master themselves.

There are so many incomprehensible things about the corruption system at the moment that I prefer to wait and see for myself before jumping to conclusions.

I wonder, for example, how to deal with a player who camps specifically in your zone, follows you, finishes your monsters and takes your resources?

I'm also wondering whether zone spell damage will be considered an attack?

And finally, the question on everyone's mind is how long will it take to clear the curruption?

This last question is the most sensitive. Too much laxity will automatically encourage toxic behavior. Too much severity will kill PvP.

So wait and see...
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    If someone risks their valuable personal gear because they went red because another player irritated them, it appears to me to be a personal issue with the player going red ~ their lack of personal self-control is potentially costing them their valuable item(s).

They should not blame the game rules, they would be better served learning to tame their emotions and learn to master themselves.

There are so many incomprehensible things about the corruption system at the moment that I prefer to wait and see for myself before jumping to conclusions.

I wonder, for example, how to deal with a player who camps specifically in your zone, follows you, finishes your monsters and takes your resources?

I'm also wondering whether zone spell damage will be considered an attack?

And finally, the question on everyone's mind is how long will it take to clear the curruption?

This last question is the most sensitive. Too much laxity will automatically encourage toxic behavior. Too much severity will kill PvP.

So wait and see...

Too much severity will kill certain kind of PvP. But if that kind of PvP is desired, then corruption is not needed at all, when players have same level.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Raven016 wrote: »
    What happens if the NPC kills you? Can other players take resources? How many?
    Taking them back yourself might also be difficult if all NPCs spawn back by the time you get to your death spot.
    Currently you'd drop the default amount of stuff. Don't think we know whether others can loot your ashes, but I'd assume they can. This is why fighting back is more beneficial if you see that you'll die to mobs before the dude kills you (and especially if he sets that up).
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    Normal death penalties. Ashes aren't "looted". You drop some resources. Other players can take dropped resources, yes.
    It's a portion of resources that drop. We don't know what percentage = a portion.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    What happens if the NPC kills you? Can other players take resources? How many?
    Taking them back yourself might also be difficult if all NPCs spawn back by the time you get to your death spot.
    Currently you'd drop the default amount of stuff. Don't think we know whether others can loot your ashes, but I'd assume they can. This is why fighting back is more beneficial if you see that you'll die to mobs before the dude kills you (and especially if he sets that up).

OK, so the corruption is not there to protect but to encourage PvEers to become PvPers.
    In the context where this game is supposed to be PvX and not PvP, it actually becomes PvP.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Normal death penalties. Ashes aren't looted. You drop some resources.

So there are two kind of ashes, one if an NPC killed you and one if a player did the killing blow?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Nope. It's the same ashes for both, but...

If you die while Green, you suffer normal death penalties.
    If you die while Purple, you suffer death penalties are halved.

So... severity of death penalties is different for Non-Combatant: normal death penalties
    Combatant: half-normal death penalties.
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member

Good question. You can become PK, but it is dangerous, because you can drop valueable items. The answer for now is the corruption-free seas. But what if the corruption-free zone is too small and easy-to-monopolize? Then that type of players are between griefers and hardcores.

Hope there a few PvP zones then :)
  • Options
    Nope. It's the same ashes for both, but...

If you die while Green, you suffer normal death penalties.
    If you die while Purple, you suffer death penalties are halved.

So... severity of death penalties is different for Non-Combatant: normal death penalties
    Combatant: half-normal death penalties.

But you said ashes cannot be looted.
    I assume you meant the case where an NPC kills you.
    So if a player kills you, the resources go directly into his inventory?
    What if 2 players cooperate to kill one? How do they get the loot? Is it split evenly?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ashes are not looted.
    When you die, you drop some resources.
    Players can pick dropped resources up off the ground.
    How people share drops probably depends on if they are in a group and whatever share settings they chose.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    Ashes are not looted.
    How people share drops probably depends on if they are in a group and whatever share settings they chose.

Then if you die killed by an NPC, all your resources stay in the ashes or some stay with you when you respawn?

If some of the resources stay with player then PvEers can go and farm resources even if the spot is controlled by stronger PvPers. Is just a question what percentage goes to PvPers. They will sometime kill the PvE player, sometime not.
  • Options
    Korela wrote: »

Good question. You can become PK, but it is dangerous, because you can drop valueable items. The answer for now is the corruption-free seas. But what if the corruption-free zone is too small and easy-to-monopolize? Then that type of players are between griefers and hardcores.

If you want to PvP, you do not go with valuable items. You go with average items only.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes are not looted.

Then if you die killed by an NPC, all your resources stay in the ashes or some stay with you when you respawn?

If some of the resources stay with player then PvEers can go and farm resources even if the spot is controlled by stronger PvPers. Is just a question what percentage goes to PvPers. They will sometime kill the PvE player, sometime not.

This is some weird semantics by Dygz and confusing for no reason.
    From the wiki:
    When a player dies they disintegrate into ash. The ashes contain any items lost by the player due to applicable death penalties.[50][29][30][31]
    These ash piles are immediately lootable by any player.[29]

Here’s a list of all the death penalties for you:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Death_penalties

And no your ashes will leave behind loot based off of what death penalties apply. So combatant and non combatant are a percentage of the resources you were holding, corrupt can drop gear and other fully built items.

When you die that percentage is decided and dropped, and you respawn with everything else that wasn’t dropped. This applies to any way you die, player, NPC, or just falling, etc. You can also run back to your body to claim those things if you make it before another player finds the ash pile.
  • Options
    Ashes are not looted.

This is some weird semantics by Dygz and confusing for no reason.
    From the wiki:
    When a player dies they disintegrate into ash. The ashes contain any items lost by the player due to applicable death penalties.[50][29][30][31]
    These ash piles are immediately lootable by any player.[29]

Here’s a list of all the death penalties for you:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Death_penalties

And no your ashes will leave behind loot based off of what death penalties apply. So combatant and non combatant are a percentage of the resources you were holding, corrupt can drop gear and other fully built items.

When you die that percentage is decided and dropped, and you respawn with everything else that wasn’t dropped. This applies to any way you die, player, NPC, or just falling, etc. You can also run back to your body to claim those things if you make it before another player finds the ash pile.

Thanks for the link. I should have checked too but I had little time.
    I see there, that
    'Player flagging is not triggered by looting.[29]'

Even Mortal Online 2 triggers flagging when you loot the drops of a player who is not in your guild.
    AoC tries to be more PvP than MO2 :D
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member

If you want to PvP, you do not go with valuable items. You go with average items only.

Yep, that's what I do not like. If I've created my build, I want to use it. Or should I use the alt characters with average items on my second PC to safely protect the main one?
  • Options
    Prtty easy to deal with imo xp shared by dmg dealt to the mob and loot rights by the person who has dealt the most dmg. It wouldnt be worth the time stalking you for a cut of the xp.
  • Options

Yep, that's what I do not like. If I've created my build, I want to use it. Or should I use the alt characters with average items on my second PC to safely protect the main one?

I think a more accurate way to say it would be “if you’re going to go out and you think you might go corrupt today, go with your average items”

As long as you don’t go corrupt there’s no reason to not use the best things you have.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited July 2023

I'm for many PvP zones without corruption for those who like to fight can do it. But these PvP area should have some stakes (ressources, xp etc...) otherwise it would be nothing more than a PvP arena.

But if there are things that push players to go to PvP zones, I already imagine the pure PvE players crying that they can't play the game without "force pvp" as they like to tell.
  • Options
    KorelaKorela Member

I think a more accurate way to say it would be “if you’re going to go out and you think you might go corrupt today, go with your average items”

As long as you don’t go corrupt there’s no reason to not use the best things you have.

The problem is, if you want to farm at 100%, you have to PK sometimes. The current corruption system is favoring griefers too much. To be clear, If a player refuses to leave the spot and do not compete for it through fight - I consider them as a griefer.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

The problem is, if you want to farm at 100%, you have to PK sometimes. The current corruption system is favoring griefers too much. To be clear, If a player refuses to leave the spot and do not compete for it through fight - I consider them as a griefer.

I still don’t quite understand what the problem is. Kill ‘em then.

If you’re worried about being corrupt with your best stuff on; go back to some storage, trade out your best stuff for some average stuff, then kill ‘em.

As someone stated tagging for loot takes into consideration a few things including who tagged the mob, and amount of damage dealt to a mob. If you are in the same area as someone and you’re not getting loot because they are doing all the damage then perhaps you are the one that should get the message and be happy that person doesn’t want to murder you to make their point.

If it’s something that is closer to their definition of griefing then it will be an actionable offense. This is what they consider griefing to be:
    Griefing in Ashes of Creation is defined as impacting another player's gameplay in a negative and harassing and repetitive manner. It is something that is outside of the expectation of the gameplay behavior that is communicated in the design philosophy.[1]
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Honestly in end game I plan to have gear kits for gathering and ganking. I'll save my BiS gear for raids, sieges, caravans, and piracy. If I end up losing some of the gear through corruption, so be it. I know the consequences. I simply believe overall, there should be many variables when deciding corruption gains and corruption effects.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Honestly in end game I plan to have gear kits for gathering and ganking. I'll save my BiS gear for raids, sieges, caravans, and piracy. If I end up losing some of the gear through corruption, so be it. I know the consequences. I simply believe overall, there should be many variables when deciding corruption gains and corruption effects.

I honestly hope that there’s even more gear considerations than just the type of content you’re doing. I hope I feel inclined to keep some different weapons on me for dealing with a variety of mobs, armor types and classes. I hope I feel inclined to have different armor sets for the same reasons.

I also agree with your corruption thoughts as well. I personally hope corruption doesn’t end up being for the one that got the killing blow. I do hope that corruption works on that same first to hit/damage dealt/health healed way that tagging mobs uses. I think stacking it all in one person makes it an exploitable. I think getting someone down to low health and letting a mob kill them so you don’t get corruption is exploitable.

But yes totally agree that amounts of corruption given should be appropriately calculated through many different variables.
  • Options
    KrakhunKrakhun Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2023
    I have no interest in ganking people, I don't see the value in it. Attacking someone for "some" of there materials (if they have any), Just to turn red and become a target for anyone that walks by. And have a chance to loose your gear because of it. The risk vs reward just isn't there. That said, I would have no problems with turning red to kill someone being a jackass.
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    I will be gaining corruption on players regardless of the tangible in game reward. Basically anyone that's in a PvE centered mega guild and sperging out is getting hit. I'll mostly stay away from people too much lower level than me, and I'll wait for them to get their health/mana up first also.

5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    PherPhur wrote: »
    @HumblePuffin

I can almost guarantee you that corruption will get applied in a varied amount to any and every player who damages a green player within so much as like a 5 minute timeframe, if the green person dies within that time from anything.

I also imagine that the damage will accumulate and refresh that timer.

I do hope that does occur but that is not currently how it is planned. I do agree tho, it just doesn’t make sense to have it tied only to what kills the player.

This quote was in response to him being asked about getting players low and then letting mobs kill them:
    It's important to note that the idea is going to be that, unless a player is in your party, alliance, guild, or raid that you will not have definitive knowledge of their exact hit point values. So when you do something that's sketchy like that, where you want to bring them close to death and let a monster finish him off, you are taking the risk of overhitting and actually gaining the corruption.[74] – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023

I also agree with your corruption thoughts as well. I personally hope corruption doesn’t end up being for the one that got the killing blow. I do hope that corruption works on that same first to hit/damage dealt/health healed way that tagging mobs uses. I think stacking it all in one person makes it an exploitable. I think getting someone down to low health and letting a mob kill them so you don’t get corruption is exploitable.

this is ridiculous. if you dont want people attacking you then dont annoy them or play with a group and dont get in the way of other groups.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

I honestly hope that there’s even more gear considerations than just the type of content you’re doing. I hope I feel inclined to keep some different weapons on me for dealing with a variety of mobs, armor types and classes. I hope I feel inclined to have different armor sets for the same reasons.

But yes totally agree that amounts of corruption given should be appropriately calculated through many different variables.

this is ridiculous. if you dont want people attacking you then dont annoy them or play with a group and dont get in the way of other groups.

Huh? I believe we have a misunderstanding here and since I have no idea how you got “I have a problem with people attacking me” out of that, I’m gonna need you to explain what you think I said.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

Huh? I believe we have a misunderstanding here and since I have no idea how you got “I have a problem with people attacking me” out of that, I’m gonna need you to explain what you think I said.

because you want to make it so that even players who heal the attacker (they will turn purple btw) or contribute in damage to the person who dies also get corrupted, and you want that "contribution" to stick for 5 minutes. so if someone hits Oyu once, and then leaves, and 4 minutes later you die to a mob because you ran out o mana or potions or whatever, then you want the person who hit you once to suffer for that. so basically you don't want people hitting you...

also crap i just realized i quoted the wrong person, I meant to talk to pherphur
  • Options
    Kinda but no. I think group contribution should be a variable included in the overall corruption score that is given out.

To me it makes no sense that person A could do 99% of the damage to someone, and then person B could do 1% of the damage, killing the player and gaining all the corruption. This sounds exploitable.

I want open world pvp, want to attack people, want to be attacked by people and there are very very very very very few times if ever that I won’t just fight back.

If I’m running around buffing my allies or doing 90% of the damage to a green but not getting the killing blow I certainly think I deserve to be subject to the corruption systems.

As I said I hope we see some some more variables built in to how corruption is given out including first to hit, damage dealt, and killing blow. That’s not how it currently is though and I’ll deal with however they decide to do it, but I think it’s stupid.
  • Options
    Spinspirit wrote: »
    Prtty easy to deal with imo xp shared by dmg dealt to the mob and loot rights by the person who has dealt the most dmg. It wouldnt be worth the time stalking you for a cut of the xp.

@Spinspirit you wanted to quote @Myosotys
    But thanks for the info. I guess is a fair system for a team. Not so much for a solo tank.
    Maybe there should be few cases where players can really solo NPCs. Or those who do would not get anything valuable but just questing there.