Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption/pvp

Comments

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Therefore AoC is a PvP game.
    We should not say it is PvX.
    PvE players have no reason to get excited and Steven should not even try to attract them. They will say what a good game could have been but is not.

But it is PvX. The design so far for Ashes seems to be synergizing PvE with PvP. As opposed to just having a PvE focused game where you're just allowed to kill anyone as much as you want for PvP reasons. WoW was a pretty good example of this. Especially in its early stages. It's connection of the 2 was entirely based on gearing, and factions
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited July 2023
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    We should not say it is PvX.

It's pvx. lol

These people want to make me angry.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The game is pvx btw :) pvp games are BRs and fighting games, though even there we have pve in some designs, so even those are pvx.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2023
    We aren't talking about "PvP games", though.
    We are talking about PvP MMORPGs.
    More specifically, we are taking about MMORPGs with PvP servers.

The clarity that people are looking for is: If you don't enjoy playing MMORPGs on PvP servers, Ashes is probably not the game for.
    Instead what is typically said is: Corruption should probably make PvErs feel comfortable playing Ashes - unless you are the type of PvEer who never wants to experience PvP.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think everyone here is talking about their own separate thing and no one really knows what anyone is talking about :)
  • Options
    I realized that after speaking with Liniker on the Ashen Forge.
    Yes.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I think everyone here is talking about their own separate thing and no one really knows what anyone is talking about :)

That's why i ask for definitions T_T
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I don't want to make you angry. You recently made the best quote I've seen on this forum in years.

"Someone could just kill him." I can still read that quote back in my head and actually lol. And then I read it in my grandmother's 93 year old, wise but tired, crackly voice. And then in a Mickey Mouse voice, and then in a...just on and on. It's perfect. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it haha.

But it is pvx. There's certainly a movement of people currently that are trying to...ugh. It's boring to even type this stuff out. There are people who are currently very angry that the game appears to be shaping up as what it was always intended to be.

Scratch that line of thought, don't feel like going there. I'll sum it up with don't be angry with me or think I'm trying to make you angry. Be angry at Steven lol, he's the one making a pvx game.

I'll probably be kind of irritated with him at some point too, when I'm stuck grinding pve on a daily basis to advance myself or my node. I'll think back to my ESO glory days of near 24/7 pvp literally slaughtering people by the thousands in Cyrodiil, only occasionally interrupted by having to run some goofy dungeon. We can both be mad together at the big mean pvx guy.
  • Options

I don't want to make you angry. You recently made the best quote I've seen on this forum in years.

"Someone could just kill him." I can still read that quote back in my head and actually lol. And then I read it in my grandmother's 93 year old, wise but tired, crackly voice. And then in a Mickey Mouse voice, and then in a...just on and on. It's perfect. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it haha.

But it is pvx. There's certainly a movement of people currently that are trying to...ugh. It's boring to even type this stuff out. There are people who are currently very angry that the game appears to be shaping up as what it was always intended to be.

Scratch that line of thought, don't feel like going there. I'll sum it up with don't be angry with me or think I'm trying to make you angry. Be angry at Steven lol, he's the one making a pvx game.

I'll probably be kind of irritated with him at some point too, when I'm stuck grinding pve on a daily basis to advance myself or my node. I'll think back to my ESO glory days of near 24/7 pvp literally slaughtering people by the thousands in Cyrodiil, only occasionally interrupted by having to run some goofy dungeon. We can both be mad together at the big mean pvx guy.

no, dont be angry at steven for making a non p2w pvx game and saving us all, giving us what we have been craving for years. be angry at yourself for wanting to turn a pvx game into a pve or less pvp game and not getting your way. all hail steven.

you dont get angry at pepsi because they use a different formula than coke...you just dont buy pepsi and buy coke instead =_=
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »

no, dont be angry at steven for making a non p2w pvx game and saving us all, giving us what we have been craving for years. be angry at yourself for wanting to turn a pvx game into a pve or less pvp game and not getting your way. all hail steven.

you dont get angry at pepsi because they use a different formula than coke...you just dont buy pepsi and buy coke instead =_=

I really consider it an unfortunate sign just how often a specific subset of the PvP-strong crowd ends up 'aggroing' onto their own 'team'.

But I suppose unity and solidarity are not high priorities in the subset I'm talking about, almost by definition.

In NiKr we trust, I guess. Probably also Margaret. And Tradd. I would name more people but I would have needed to see them in PvP.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

I really consider it an unfortunate sign just how often a specific subset of the PvP-strong crowd ends up 'aggroing' onto their own 'team'.

But I suppose unity and solidarity are not high priorities in the subset I'm talking about, almost by definition.

In NiKr we trust, I guess. Probably also Margaret. And Tradd. I would name more people but I would have needed to see them in PvP.

tbh i was telling the guy he quoted =D
    also pvp needs cooperation. its a cooperative-competitive activity. why would i go against all pvpers? makes no sense =_=
    also i like pve a lot. just a specific type of pve...
  • Options

tbh i was telling the guy he quoted =D
    also pvp needs cooperation. its a cooperative-competitive activity. why would i go against all pvpers? makes no sense =_=
    also i like pve a lot. just a specific type of pve...

Oh I definitely didn't mean it relative to you, you're very consistent.

Verrrrry consistent.

• Options
    @Azherae imma start my own podcast soon and also post aoc related videos since I will have a bit more free time now (still need a good mic haha) jump in and lets talk, unless you wanna keep trolling here and avoiding discussions T_T
  • Options
    @Azherae imma start my own podcast soon and also post aoc related videos since I will have a bit more free time now (still need a good mic haha) jump in and lets talk, unless you wanna keep trolling here and avoiding discussions T_T

I think that whatever it is you are defining as 'trolling and avoiding discussions' is what I'm likely gonna keep doing.

tbh I'm not convinced you actually entirely keep track of who you're talking to sometimes, or who has said which things, and a podcast is really not the place I want to learn that you got your wires crossed between me and someone else.

• Options

I think that whatever it is you are defining as 'trolling and avoiding discussions' is what I'm likely gonna keep doing.

tbh I'm not convinced you actually entirely keep track of who you're talking to sometimes, or who has said which things, and a podcast is really not the place I want to learn that you got your wires crossed between me and someone else.

no, your wires are crossed and that makes you think my wires are crossed
  • Options

All the more reason for me to not be on your podcast, then.

You should get Liniker though, as first guest.

• Options

dont be scurred bae <3
    and nah liniker was already in ashen forge
  • Options

dont be scurred bae <3

I think this is where I'm supposed to go...

"I'm not scared! Let's do this!" and prove myself, right?

That's how it works for Money Matches at tournaments...

But I'm not gonna win any money here...

• Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023

dont be scurred bae <3

no.! but facing your fears makes you grow. running away from them stagnates you. ask any psychologist. dont not be afraid, be brave instead. be afraid but be brave enough to take the leap anyways
  • Options

dont be scurred bae <3

no.! but facing your fears makes you grow. running away from them stagnates you. ask any psychologist. dont not be afraid, be brave instead. be afraid but be brave enough to take the leap anyways

Gosh I've never thought of that, I should definitely change my perspective now, it'll certainly turn my life around.

I'm gonna do it!

I'm gonna do the third wakeup EX Spinning Bird Kick next time!

• Options

dont be scurred bae <3

Gosh I've never thought of that, I should definitely change my perspective now, it'll certainly turn my life around.

I'm gonna do it!

I'm gonna do the third wakeup EX Spinning Bird Kick next time!

slaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Already read your conversation with Azherae where you said you were talking to the other guy with this reply. But no, just for clarity because I get kind of whimsical sometimes, Ashes is a godsend for me. It will turn me into a gamer again, which I am near the point of not even being anymore.

I didn't mean literally be angry at Steven. I meant it more like what I'd tell a wolf who's howling at the moon. Howl away, the moon will still be there tomorrow. Or my dog barking at the vacuum cleaner. Bark away, there's a reason this is happening and it needs to happen.

In other words, don't be mad at me for calling a pvx game a pvx game. If anything, be mad that pvx games exist or at least at the people who bring them into existence. But of course there's no reason to be mad about any of this at all. I don't think Raven was actually angry with me, just forum banter.
  • Options

Already read your conversation with Azherae where you said you were talking to the other guy with this reply. But no, just for clarity because I get kind of whimsical sometimes, Ashes is a godsend for me. It will turn me into a gamer again, which I am near the point of not even being anymore.

I didn't mean literally be angry at Steven. I meant it more like what I'd tell a wolf who's howling at the moon. Howl away, the moon will still be there tomorrow. Or my dog barking at the vacuum cleaner. Bark away, there's a reason this is happening and it needs to happen.

In other words, don't be mad at me for calling a pvx game a pvx game. If anything, be mad that pvx games exist or at least at the people who bring them into existence. But of course there's no reason to be mad about any of this at all. I don't think Raven was actually angry with me, just forum banter.

slaaayyy

i also wanna play this game soo bad omg T_T im almost not a gamer anymore..ive been craving a good mmorpg with owpvp and no p2w (even tho i can def p2w but its still ewww)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    PvX is the same thing as PvP.
    Or... if anything... a PvX server is more PvP than a PvP server.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Fhew, this means I'm safe too B)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Ok, you gotta explain your logic here, cause I don't quite get this one.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    As far as I can tell PvX means that PvP is an integral part of everything in the game.
    To the extent that we are expected to contemplate economic warfare every time we choose which bag we're going to bring when we go out to pick some flowers.
    I'm not interested in playing a game where I have to constantly be thinking about PvP.
    Sometimes, I want to be able to just go pick some flowers while being unconcerned about PvP.

Again... this is why I typically move from PvP-Optional servers to PvE-Only servers.
    And I have never played an MMORPG where I had to think about PvP when I'm choosing which bag I'm bringing with me to pick some flowers.

What originally intrigued me about Ashes PvP is...
    When I'm in the mood for PvP, I can do something Meaningful - like protect a City from a Siege or defend a Caravan from an attack.
    I know where to go when I want to PvP.
    And then, hopefully, Corruption is enough of a penalty that I rarely encounter non-consesnual PvP.
    Just as when I walk through the streets of Manhattan or DC or Compton in the middle of the night, I have never been attacked - because the punishments for that are strong enough that it rarely happens.

It's possible for me to be attacked every time I go to the grocery store.
    But it's rarely if ever going to happen. Which is the way I prefer it in an MMORPG.
    When we want to PvP, we know where to go...
    But... also, for me, in an MMORPG, there also cannot be a permanent location that advertizes me as auto-consenting to PvP just because I'm exploring that area.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    PvX is the same thing as PvP.

I would say this is just how any PVE-only player will view any amount of PvP in an MMORPG.

Honestly I have just come to accept that any MMORPG with PvP is just a PvX game. I would say the main difference with Ashes is that instead of just having them exist in the same game like most MMORPGs, it is trying to synergize them as much as possible. Which is good.

Now if there was no limit to types of PvP and how much you could do, I would agree with you more. Open Ocean PvP could be considered more PvP heavy than the rest of ashes, but I also feel like we need to see what content we will be fighting over there. It very well may balance out.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    As far as I can tell PvX means that PvP is an integral part of everything in the game.
    To the extent that we are expected to contemplate economic warfare every time we choose which bag we're going to bring when we go out to pick some flowers.
    I'm not interested in playing a game where I have to constantly be thinking about PvP.
    Sometimes, I want to be able to just go pick some flowers while being unconcerned about PvP.

Again... this is why I typically move from PvP-Optional servers to PvE-Only servers.
    And I have never played an MMORPG where I had to think about PvP when I'm choosing which bag I'm bringing with me to pick some flowers.

trust me you wont be ow pvping that often in ashes. its not as hardcore as you think.
    you are right tho when you say pvp is an integral part of the game
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Fhew, this means I'm safe too B)

well, we are both l2 players and we have very similar opinions. there wouldnt be any conflict which makes things uninteresting. i think people would be more interested in 2 people who have opposing ideas talking xD. or it could be us vs dygz and fantmx hahaha

also are u brazilian? i saw u in the podcast. you are a beautiful baby boy, a bit shy though but we can fix that ;)

ok imma stop typing before i get banned after spending $250 T_T