Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Imposed PvP and ganking

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    The best thing is piracy will be ripe thanks to the flagged nature of the oceans. So, karma doesn't really apply in such a circumstance. The strongest castle to own would be the sea castle where your navy can always fight around the sea castle. Difficult for people to raid your naval caravans if you are patrolling on the open sea and sinking anyone who comes close.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Naval

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tides

Some interesting stuff there related to it. Looks like wind will play a factor with ship class and rendering distance. No tidal patterns though which is somewhat interesting. Maybe we'll see something like impel down either as a castle or open world dungeon/raid.

I believe ship component builders will become quite rich because a lot of ships will get sunk/destroyed. I might even become a ship component builder just for the opportunities. Some people claim Ashes will replace Sea of Thieves but I haven't seen the naval content yet. I think carpenters will do a lot of ship components, also a lot of furniture items. Its difficult to judge right now.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The best thing is piracy will be ripe thanks to the flagged nature of the oceans. So, karma doesn't really apply in such a circumstance. The strongest castle to own would be the sea castle where your navy can always fight around the sea castle. Difficult for people to raid your naval caravans if you are patrolling on the open sea and sinking anyone who comes close.

Some interesting stuff there related to it. Looks like wind will play a factor with ship class and rendering distance. No tidal patterns though which is somewhat interesting. Maybe we'll see something like impel down either as a castle or open world dungeon/raid.

Oh man, an Impel Down equivalent would fit Ashes so incredibly well.

Deeper floor PvP zones, you get there by making certain choices like 'trying to escape to the Open Seas when red', no real rewards, 'equalized' gear...

If there was ever gonna be a way to 'section off the PvPonlykthx focused players', that would be it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited October 2023

I believe ship component builders will become quite rich because a lot of ships will get sunk/destroyed. I might even become a ship component builder just for the opportunities. Some people claim Ashes will replace Sea of Thieves but I haven't seen the naval content yet. I think carpenters will do a lot of ship components, also a lot of furniture items. Its difficult to judge right now.

if they can do something similar to SoT that would be pretty good in my opinion. It's definitely something I'm interested in seeing my self and/or participating in. Could be quite lucrative and a great resource sink to maintain. The combat and sea faring bar needs to be set high for quality purposes.
  • Options

if they can do something similar to SoT that would be pretty good in my opinion. It's definitely something I'm interested in seeing my self and/or participating in. Could be quite lucrative and a great resource sink to maintain. The combat and sea faring bar needs to be set high for quality purposes.

On a side note, I think I would just make my Hard Counters corrupt for the shits and giggles. Anyone where more balance is present will see a good fight. I love fighting with a handicap and those hard counters can have the script flipped. Rather than myself being handicapped and wasting time, they can be handicapped and waste time. I'd rather fight 2vs1 in a balanced system than 1vs1 against a hard counter. I'll learn how to fight my hard counters in duels and subsequent sanctioned PvP events. First port of call is to learn to identify the hard counters as fast as possible.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

Oh man, an Impel Down equivalent would fit Ashes so incredibly well.

Deeper floor PvP zones, you get there by making certain choices like 'trying to escape to the Open Seas when red', no real rewards, 'equalized' gear...

If there was ever gonna be a way to 'section off the PvPonlykthx focused players', that would be it.

always good to find other OP fans :smile:

I mentioned awhile ago and again recently that they should do a sky expansion similar to Skypeia and white seas. It would be amazing in my opinion especially if the seafaring and naval combat is on point.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Dygz think they meant it as "gankers" just wont care as much because it's just another obstacle to over-come. Like a badge of honour which I'm sure many will find a way around with either equipping gear they wont care to lose, loot their friends corpses to take the gear back their "ganker" friend lost or mass gank.
    Yep.
    That's not the same thing as better.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Soon the amount of QQing will flood Vera and make the whole map PK free naval content
  • Options
    Soon the amount of QQing will flood Vera and make the whole map PK free naval content

It will be like Alice in Wonderland - A risk of drowning in personal tears lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Sweatycup wrote: »
    It really depends on the community.
    It's one of those features that will apply more handicaps over time to accommodate the player demographic from over complaining as QoL changes.

Be careful not to overestimate the amount of player feedback that's going to sway corruption in favor of the PvE crowd.

Steven still has a design goal for this mechanic ... regardless of the "squawking" against it.
  • Options
    Sweatycup wrote: »
    It really depends on the community.
    It's one of those features that will apply more handicaps over time to accommodate the player demographic from over complaining as QoL changes.

Be careful not to overestimate the amount of player feedback that's going to sway corruption in favor of the PvE crowd.

Steven still has a design goal for this mechanic ... regardless of the "squawking" against it.

PvPers just have to be smart. I really do not see the system as a problem unless I PK someone. However, I don't generally go out of my way to PK others unless I'm on an evil toon (RP). The harsher the penalties the less likely I'll be engaged in pvp in the open world. Works in my favour because less chance of death, item decay and experience debt. Which means faster levelling and more duels.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    They have already thought about this by implementing a corruption system
    The more they kill unflagged players
    The weaker they became with punishments reaching the point of losing hard earnt gear that they are wearing
    No need to stress about it mate
    All part of the fun of roaming into an open world
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Absolutely 100% correct but it's a narrative the extreme pve only I will take my ball and go home mmo player base will never understand or accept.

All the "failed' sandboxish PVP MMOs died for far more so reasons than simply having PVP mechanics. Rushed too soon to release, poor engine decisions, not enough resources to accomplish design, non PVP mechanic horrible development decisions (looking at you archeage beta to release), exploitable in game mechanics...and so on. Hell at least some of these so-called failed PVP mmo games had a long enough life span where I can say my guildmates all had fun and lasting memories.

There is a cemetery of dead pve themepark MMOs as well
    Liniker wrote: »
    would you call games like albion or EVE online dead or ruined? maybe for you, if you dont like forced PVP, but thats a "you" problem, its not a problem for the millions that play those games, if we start making up bullshit scenarios in our heads about "top pvp players" getting together and getting organized to "ruin the game" ganking everyone around them well, sure, but lets get back to earth and look at other games with open world pvp for a moment,

you can even use hardcore gank fest games like Mortal Online as an example, thats not a thing, sure, theres small groups of gankers and random PKers, but most large guilds are "blue" and dont care about ganking random players, they have objectives, and there is space for different players, so this is a non-issue and a concern not based on reality,

reality is: there has never been a PvP MMORPG that was ruined because of ganking or open-world pvp, its always the p2w, the design decisions and other issues that end up ruining these games, so don't worry, if Ashes delivers and its a good game, it will succeed, but ofc, not everyone is the target audience, but thats a different story

The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2023
    Solvryn wrote: »
    NoxVost wrote: »
    Hi dear community,

I have the question about known so far game mechanics related to PvP.

People are different, and making their fun on different stuff. Killing another players is some kind of fun for them. What can stop an organised group of top PvP players from ganking everything around and thus ruining game experience for everybody around? They are good in PvP, they are seasoned and organised - so no single/casual player or ad-hoc groups can do anything to them. For sure GMs won't babysitting casual players, so there must be some kind of game mechanic which stop group asocial behaviour.

Needless to say that casual players are the base for every MMO game - they are many, they pay subscription to devs and they make the game live.

Acceptance. Accept the fact that someone’s going to kill you and you either learn to just die, fight back, or quit the game.

you forgot option 4....

mass complain at launch or during alpha 2 with like minded people and use the excuse you're a patron until you get what you want lol

Obviously a joke but in reality it's what happens.

Once you implement something, you cant go backwards with it, usually forwards. The drama on the forums of similar discussions and results prove this is definitely plausible.

Just read the threads about flagging, freehold looting, player looting, AC vs TT, floaty combat. It's all there haha
    There was a lot of bots and griefers in L2. The company that made L2 never replicated the corruption system in later games and Ashes won't just replicate the system, the system will be harsher. Thankfully, bots shouldn't be enabled in ashes too much (though multi-boxing is allowed) and the open sea doesn't have corruption. Also, sanctified PvP doesn't have corruption. One would hope most PvP players use the sanctified PvP events and the open sea to do the kills rather than gank people who don't fight back.

I still cant believe the studio made this huge promise about anti-botting and what not then go around and say they'll allow multi boxing... blew my mind when they announced it. I guess multi-boxing guarantees more active subscriptions.

Hopefully they understood at option zero they’re not entitled to changing the gameplay because it is inconvenient for them.

This is one title were throwing a temper tantrum on the forums is a great way to ruin their rep in game.

Forced PvP doesn’t exist, all parts of the game are optional, simply don’t log in.
  • Options
    Hi dear community,

People are different, and making their fun on different stuff. Killing another players is some kind of fun for them. What can stop an organised group of top PvP players from ganking everything around and thus ruining game experience for everybody around? They are good in PvP, they are seasoned and organised - so no single/casual player or ad-hoc groups can do anything to them. For sure GMs won't babysitting casual players, so there must be some kind of game mechanic which stop group asocial behaviour.

Needless to say that casual players are the base for every MMO game - they are many, they pay subscription to devs and they make the game live.

Acceptance. Accept the fact that someone’s going to kill you and you either learn to just die, fight back, or quit the game.

you forgot option 4....

mass complain at launch or during alpha 2 with like minded people and use the excuse you're a patron until you get what you want lol

Once you implement something, you cant go backwards with it, usually forwards. The drama on the forums of similar discussions and results prove this is definitely plausible.

Just read the threads about flagging, freehold looting, player looting, AC vs TT, floaty combat. It's all there haha
    There was a lot of bots and griefers in L2. The company that made L2 never replicated the corruption system in later games and Ashes won't just replicate the system, the system will be harsher. Thankfully, bots shouldn't be enabled in ashes too much (though multi-boxing is allowed) and the open sea doesn't have corruption. Also, sanctified PvP doesn't have corruption. One would hope most PvP players use the sanctified PvP events and the open sea to do the kills rather than gank people who don't fight back.

I still cant believe the studio made this huge promise about anti-botting and what not then go around and say they'll allow multi boxing... blew my mind when they announced it. I guess multi-boxing guarantees more active subscriptions.

Hopefully they understood at option zero they’re not entitled to changing the gameplay because it is inconvenient for them.

This is one title were throwing a temper tantrum on the forums is a great way to ruin their rep in game.

Forced PvP doesn’t exist, all parts of the game are optional, simply don’t log in.

lol hopefully.

But if there is anything I've learned about unions is they usually get what they want at the expense of the company/institution/tax payers. It's almost like a hostage situation except the business/game is hostage to the players and majority demographic.

what a world. :lol:
  • Options
    Hi dear community,

you forgot option 4....

lol hopefully.

But if there is anything I've learned about unions is they usually get what they want at the expense of the company/institution/tax payers. It's almost like a hostage situation except the business/game is hostage to the players and majority demographic.

Sounds like a them problem
  • Options
    Hi dear community,

you forgot option 4....

lol hopefully.

Sounds like a them problem

lol depends who is them in relation to perspective and time.
  • Options
    In Ashes, forced PvP is punished by Corruption everywhere except the Open Seas.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Corruption is designed to prevent murder hobos. Not forced PvP. Want to invade my grind spot for your PvE? Prepare to face PvP.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Corruption is designed to prevent murder hobos. Not forced PvP. Want to invade my grind spot for your PvE? Prepare to face PvP.

Oh boy, can't wait to see where this conversation leads.
  • Options
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    Oh boy, can't wait to see where this conversation leads.
    To pvp :)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Corruption is designed to punish non-consensual (forced) PvP everywhere except the Open Seas.
    And also deter murder hobos.
    Ashes also has plenty of consensual (non-forced) PvP. And also has Corruption-free PvP on the Open Seas.
    You are the one using the word "prevent" - which is not part of the design.
  • Options
    Just because our flagging system gives corruption to PKers, doesn't mean PvP won't happen. There is plenty of reason for PvP to occur open-world.[11] – Steven Sharif

Otherwise there would be no open world pvp and just pvp events. The corruption system is not there to stop 'unwanted pvp' at all. The block duel function does that though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    nothing will stop them, they will find a way to cyberbully you
  • Options

Everyone consents to PvP multiple times before logging in.

Forced PvP doesn’t exist, it’s lie.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Everyone consents to PvP multiple times before logging in.

cp580hi5f5a0.pngd5ot8byd9g98.pngakxbk9goys6n.pnglbswlspj5ff2.png

lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    I said what I said.
    If forced PvP did not exist, Ashes would not have Corruption.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I said what I said.

As did I. Forced PvP is a lie. Peddling a narrative that’s a blatant lie makes that person a liar.

If someone agreed to the services rendered to them and continue to agree to it by consenting to it multiple times each gaming session, that’s consent.
  • Options
    I said what I said.

If the devs didn't want forced pvp the devs would've added a pvp toggle. Not corruption. Forced pvp is a viable tactic to stop other players from griefing. Corruption is there to stop pvp players from griefing. PvP players fighting for an area of farming or resource area is perfectly valid.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Were I not too lazy I would've started a counter on how many times we're discussion the same damn topics over and over and over and over and over again. Forum discussions... forum discussions never change.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Were I not too lazy I would've started a counter on how many times we're discussion the same damn topics over and over and over and over and over again. Forum discussions... forum discussions never change.

Its the same people trying to inflame the situation. I personally don't like the corruption system at all but I accept it, yet, the opposite side want to smother with the corruption system and claim I have no right to pvp when I want and where I want in an owpvp game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif