Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I dont get the glint-system

Hi guys,

to be honest, I don't get the glint system.

So we have glint (why? For what? Benefits?) , with that we can buy commodities (which is basically some undifinied random recourse) and these commodities we transport with caravans to any other node to sell it to npcs?

I thought the purpose of caravans is to transport gatherables and crafting materials that actual players and other nodes need. Am I right that these commodities are just something you always get money for without any need of real players?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Garrtok wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So we have glint (why? For what? Benefits?) , with that we can buy commodities (which is basically some undifinied random recourse) and these commodities we transport with caravans to any other node to sell it to npcs?

I thought the purpose of caravans is to transport gatherables and crafting materials that actual players and other nodes need. Am I right that these commodities are just something you always get money for without any need of real players?

You are correct about that.

It is probably necessary for two reasons, firstly to make it possible for players who want to engage with the economy without having to constantly track the market fluctuations, and secondly to increase and improve the incentives for caravan based gameplay.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Hi guys,

It is probably necessary for two reasons, firstly to make it possible for players who want to engage with the economy without having to constantly track the market fluctuations, and secondly to increase and improve the incentives for caravan based gameplay.

Thank you. And from what / where do we get glint?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thank you. And from what / where do we get glint?

We get glint by killing mobs. I believe the latest quote implies it drops from all mobs and is universal. The rate of drop is not known (and probably is very subject to balance, so probably not worth speculating about).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Btw, glint can also be sold directly to npcs, so you don't need commodities at all, if you're fine with a lower exchange rate for your glint.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hi guys,

Commodities are for gold and world building.

You will still have to caravan materials.
  • Options
    Glint can also be used to pay your citizen and home taxes and a few other node fees. Not to be underestimated for the more combat /pve oriented players.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited November 2023
    Glint = Gold income from mobs, mobs dont drop gold or thing to sell they drop glint instead, this is cause glint is a material so it gets dropped on death unlike gold which doesnt, you can then either convert this into gold or items to get more gold if u do another step which is the caravan run think of it as gambling to a degree double your money or loose it all :P

caravans will still be used to transport materials aswell wood to the dessert for example

long story short glint is basicly equivalent to mob dropping gold which can then be used on several other things or covnerted into gold at town
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the glint system better than mobs dropping gold directly. A wolf or bear doesn't carry gold. Glint represents the value of the hide, meat, teeth etc. of the mob, which can be turned into gold upon sale.

It is much more efficient to deal with glint than with hundreds of different mob related items like wolf pelts, boar tusks, boar ears, deer meat, etc.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    I like the glint system better than mobs dropping gold directly. A wolf or bear doesn't carry gold. Glint represents the value of the hide, meat, teeth etc. of the mob, which can be turned into gold upon sale.

It is much more efficient to deal with glint than with hundreds of different mob related items like wolf pelts, boar tusks, boar ears, deer meat, etc.

I just really hope that Glint doesn't end up warping the use/need of physical materials and player goods in favor of the glint commodities.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The change doesn't make any difference except my style of gameplay becomes more prevalent. I was always one for monster certs and now I can farm glint with others instead. Few wanted to farm monster certs en mass prior to this change. Glint will be farmed en mass after this change. The old laughter has been eradicated.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    edited November 2023
    I am still listening and relistening to the Caravan and Mayoral streams, and have a lot of questions, but my preliminary understanding is that Glint is a soul bound currency with an origin zone, and the further away the zone you are selling to is from that glint's origin, the higher the exchange rate for gold. That could be wrong, and it is only through moving cargo a distance that value is increased.

Cargoes are materials that have been bundled for transport, and can be sold to or bought from NPCs.

There is also a soul and node bound currency shown in the Mayoral stream that is generally only used for transactions with NPCs in the origin node (but exceptions can be made for refugees).

Gold is not soul bound, can be received from NPCs but not used for purchases from or payments to NPCs, and is primarily used for player-to-player exchange.

This is all very preliminary, and probably very wrong.

While I understand that all these soul bound currencies act as a barrier to RMT, and probably to discourage twinking, I fear they might cause enough friction to grind the economy to a halt, especially when it comes to gathering materials for anyone outside your guild alliance.
  • Options
    Balanz wrote: »
    I am still listening and relistening to the Caravan and Mayoral streams, and have a lot of questions, but my preliminary understanding is that Glint is a soul bound currency with an origin zone, and the further away the zone you are selling to is from that glint's origin, the higher the exchange rate for gold. That could be wrong, and it is only through moving cargo a distance that value is increased.
    Glint is not tied to a location. Commodities are. You can grind glint in whichever location you want then come to a node of your choosing, buy its commodities and go to another node that has the best price multiplier for those commodities (theoretically, the further away the destination - the bigger the multiplier).
    While I understand that all these soul bound currencies act as a barrier to RMT, and probably to discourage twinking, I fear they might cause enough friction to grind the economy to a halt, especially when it comes to gathering materials for anyone outside your guild alliance.
    Yes, everyone is now forced to grind mobs, so that they can be citizens. Grinding mobs will pit people against each other, which means more pvp (and potentially PKing). And it's quite possible that there might be no citizens who are not in a guild, because it's gonna be difficult to contest grinding locations against everyone who is in a guild.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... you grind for xp and farm for items.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean... you grind for xp and farm for items.
    We'll see what people gonna do when their taxes are coming up and they got shit for glint. That is if they can even afford to get an apartment, cause we got no clue how high the fees will be for the later citizens (we do know that prices will be higher though).
  • Options
    I think they needed a normalized, droppable currency (e.g. upon player death) that wasn’t gold as they stated you won’t lose gold when you die from pvx.

But there’s a variable exchange rate for glint to gold. So, essentially we have an abstract currency with a gold standard.

I wonder if we can have an arbitrageur profession?😬
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    edited November 2023
    Nikr:

Because Glint is supposed to replace hunting certificates, I thought it possible that the further away you sell your glint from where it dropped, the more valuable it is, just as I understood hunting certificates were.

But as materials become more valuable the further they are transported (as cargo), that might just be redundant.

Because of the currency conversions, it may be the case that materials only really increase in value based on distance if they are turned into cargo, and that smuggling rare materials directly to a distant node might literally be a fool's errand.
  • Options
    Because Glint is supposed to replace hunting certificates, I thought it possible that the further away you sell your glint from where it dropped, the more valuable it is, just as I understood hunting certificates were.
    You can forget about certs and their design. Glint is universal and has no ties to any location.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    You can forget about certs and their design. Glint is universal and has no ties to any location.

Can even get Glint from Quests and Achievements.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Potentially, yeah.
  • Options
    Potentially, yeah.

Wiki says Glint is tied to Economic Areas but Economic Areas are most of the map.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    they could have done a better job at explaining, I only got it the second time I watched the livestream tbh a lot of insight came from post-video Q&A and Steven on the discord
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Wiki says Glint is tied to Economic Areas but Economic Areas are most of the map.
    That's there to give context to the changes to the system.
  • Options
    That's there to give context to the changes to the system.

Yeah. Yet, universal is only universal to the economic areas.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    But there’s a variable exchange rate for glint to gold. So, essentially we have an abstract currency with a gold standard.

That's a good way of looking at it. I hadn't thought of it quite like that.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I believe glint will replace what we normally would call "trash" loot from mobs with a built in system that encourages travel via caravanning commodities for a higher value, and pvp because these are dropped on death both in the normal flagging system and pvp events such as caravans. And if you noticed, Glint is also stored in the material inventory slots, so this also impacts what people choose to farm when out gathering.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    We need glint clone and glint stash features. Else I cannot commit.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    We need glint clone and glint stash features. Else I cannot commit.

like a glint currency bar or separate inventory tab solely for glint?

I had a feeling people would not want it as a physical inventory item over a currency. Just one of those predictable QoL things.
  • Options
    Yeah, glint being a currency was my first thought, but no, it's a buncha mats instead, so inventories will get overpacked and mats won't be exchanging into each other like currency so we'll have to grind glint to have precise numbers of it.

In other words, right now this system just seems like a huge pain in the ass.
  • Options
    Yeah, glint being a currency was my first thought, but no, it's a buncha mats instead, so inventories will get overpacked and mats won't be exchanging into each other like currency so we'll have to grind glint to have precise numbers of it.

In other words, right now this system just seems like a huge pain in the ass.

Will be small intakes unless the guild is together with a few caravans. Cargo boxes would be required.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Will be small intakes unless the guild is together with a few caravans. Cargo boxes would be required.
    This could potentially work towards the node loyalty design, but we don't know the mob distribution, so it's hard to say if those who go out to farm will have to go back to their og node and deposit their daily glint just so that they always have it for fees and taxes.

Just yet another potential fault in the system.