Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I dont get the glint-system

Comments

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    id say lost on death, but not dropped xd
    Potehto potahto.

Although you bring one interesting point. Do they change when someone else loots your corpse or immediately on death. Cause picking up your own loot and it's now "stolen" would be the funniest shit ever :D

I'd imagine it's the former, so you WOULD be dropping glint. It's just that it would be turned into stolen version if anyone else picked it up.

p.s. what about party/guild/alliance members too. Would they "steal"? I'd assume so, because otherwise we have tradeable glint and that's supposedly bad.

thats interesting. if you die then come back and pick up or own glint i suppose it will stil be stolen, because you arent actually dropping the glint...whatever is spawnd on the ground is a different item.

they could add a check, however, that returns the glint if the original owner picks it up.

in terms of immersion / rp, it doesnt make much sense. like if u kill a mob and steal their essence, then someone kills you and steals it..anyways mechanics > rp so idrc
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    It obviously also means you can't have your friends loot your corpse for you and keep the glint in the original form, like you can often do in other games. Unless they keep the original owners name on each glint it and transforms back when given back. I really doubt they'll do that, but it's technically possible I suppose.
    Really hope they do, cause that would tie directly to my suggestion for making the BH system deeper and would make social situations way more interesting.

I asked now on monthly Q&A to be sure.
    BH would get corrupted glint and resources too.
    He cannot return them to the original owner. Previously it was theoretically possible, if he would know who got looted.
  • Options
    What if the glint players drop on their death is "sealed" and as long as the seal isn't broken, the glint remains clean. So, friends could pick up your stuff without anything becoming corrupted. The owner of the seal can break it without ensuing corruption, but anyone else opening the box/bag/wrapping turns the glint into the corrupted version.

The seal could indicate its owner, well intended people could return what they found in a random ash piles, or a target in the case of a bounty hunter, to their rightful owner. No NPC accept to deal with sealed stuff as it's clearly "stolen".

Side uses coming from the system: sealed glint can be held as ransom, trophy, or proof of a kill.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can stolen glint be traded to other players directly? Or is it also bound but droppable on death?

If it can be traded, the ramifications are potentially pretty big.
  • Options
    Can stolen glint be traded to other players directly? Or is it also bound but droppable on death?

Can be traded
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stolen_glint
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @Percimes it could be possible if they want to implement an ID tagging system for essentially countless glint objects in the game. Could be similar to the crafter seal for caravans. Could just not loot the player until they get back assuming that negates the loss of glint. Could just not worry so much as the glint could be essentially not worth that much especially if corrupted/stolen. Could just go PvE and get more glint or loot another player.
  • Options
    Coping with loss of of glint in this thread be like...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-8CSa9xj8
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2023

Can be traded

Thanks.

Ok. This makes me think the uses for it will be pretty limited, other than for getting gold obviously. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the black market vendors will be like to really know.
  • Options
    The way I see it, glint is potential money, and will probably be a main source of gold/silver/copper currency.
    As you saw, you invest glint in the caravans, and then based off of travel distance and demand, you earn money for goods transported.
    I say potential because it can obviously be stolen, so it adds to ways to gain money in in lieu of the auction house. Auction houses will ONLY be available in economic nodes, so this is a pretty good thing.

I believe steven also mentioned glint would be used in crafting but I cannot recall where my source is on that.

It may be the case that mobs do not drop G/S/C currency, thus the only way to get money from mobs would be via glint, but this is 100% speculation on my part.
  • Options
    Vissox wrote: »
    I believe steven also mentioned glint would be used in crafting but I cannot recall where my source is on that.
    Pretty sure the source is someone on this forum, because I got no recollection of Steven saying that.
    It may be the case that mobs do not drop G/S/C currency, thus the only way to get money from mobs would be via glint, but this is 100% speculation on my part.
    Yes, glint IS money. There's gonna be no direct currency faucet, because glint IS the way to make money and mobs only drop glint and mats.
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    What if the glint players drop on their death is "sealed" and as long as the seal isn't broken, the glint remains clean. So, friends could pick up your stuff without anything becoming corrupted. The owner of the seal can break it without ensuing corruption, but anyone else opening the box/bag/wrapping turns the glint into the corrupted version.

The seal could indicate its owner, well intended people could return what they found in a random ash piles, or a target in the case of a bounty hunter, to their rightful owner. No NPC accept to deal with sealed stuff as it's clearly "stolen".

Side uses coming from the system: sealed glint can be held as ransom, trophy, or proof of a kill.

Wouldn't that just rob the player who killed you of their glint? Why is it everyone trying to make PVP non-viable.
    People say they don't want PVP to be a gank and grief fest, but if you take away all the valid reasons to kill someone that's all it will be.
  • Options
    Wouldn't that just rob the player who killed you of their glint?
    That suggestion is pretty much a copy of the current system, when viewed from the pov of the killer. You get stolen glint right now, just as you would in Percimes' suggestion.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    edited November 2023
    Pretty sure the source is someone on this forum, because I got no recollection of Steven saying that.

Yes, glint IS money. There's gonna be no direct currency faucet, because glint IS the way to make money and mobs only drop glint and mats.

qi9b7njj9jp9.png
    Yeah I guess I dreamed it, I thought steven made some sort of sword with it in a blacksmith in some showcase.

I think you can obtain "normal" currency via quests and stuff still, right? Otherwise I'm with OP in being confused as to the point.

EDIT: It's so you can drop currency to other players, but your liquidated currency (gold) remains safe.

• Options
    Yeah I guess I dreamed it, I thought steven made some sort of sword with it in a blacksmith in some showcase.
    There was no glint before the latest showcase though :D
    I think you can obtain "normal" currency via quests and stuff still, right? Otherwise I'm with OP in being confused as to the point.
    Potentially yes? But I feel like we might be getting node currency instead.
  • Options

Can be traded

Thanks.

Ok. This makes me think the uses for it will be pretty limited, other than for getting gold obviously. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the black market vendors will be like to really know.

Good poit. It must be something useful for the bandits. Else the balance is biased to discourage attacks.
  • Options
    @Percimes it could be possible if they want to implement an ID tagging system for essentially countless glint objects in the game.

Not a programmer, but I would think every items are already tracked. In WoW, player crafted items bare the name of the character who's made them, that's essentially what the seal is. It doesn't even need to be permanent, it could break on its own after certain time rendering what it protected corrupted. And when I say 'after a certain time', I don't mean tracking individual timers instead, more like a server wide breaking, let say when the sun rises or sets, or some other astronomical timing, all seals are voided and the glint goes bad.

In essence, the glint goes from bound to a character to an universal generic item.
    Wouldn't that just rob the player who killed you of their glint? Why is it everyone trying to make PVP non-viable.
    People say they don't want PVP to be a gank and grief fest, but if you take away all the valid reasons to kill someone that's all it will be.

No, my suggestion is only an intermediary step, an answer as to if glint goes corrupted at a character's death or when it's picked off their ash pile. It's a way for friendlies to pick it up without making it corrupted. It allows player to chose between taking without stealing or break the seal and get the stolen glint they wanted.

Since anybody can loot an ash pile, friendly players can already steal the glint from another player's kill if they act first.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    @Percimes it could be possible if they want to implement an ID tagging system for essentially countless glint objects in the game.

Not a programmer, but I would think every items are already tracked. In WoW, player crafted items bare the name of the character who's made them, that's essentially what the seal is. It doesn't even need to be permanent, it could break on its own after certain time rendering what it protected corrupted. And when I say 'after a certain time', I don't mean tracking individual timers instead, more like a server wide breaking, let say when the sun rises or sets, or some other astronomical timing, all seals are voided and the glint goes bad.

In essence, the glint goes from bound to a character to an universal generic item.

No, my suggestion is only an intermediary step, an answer as to if glint goes corrupted at a character's death or when it's picked off their ash pile. It's a way for friendlies to pick it up without making it corrupted. It allows player to chose between taking without stealing or break the seal and get the stolen glint they wanted.

Since anybody can loot an ash pile, friendly players can already steal the glint from another player's kill if they act first.

True but think of it this way.
    if a player has stolen glint from say 40 other players, it's essentially a massive tracking system especially if you consider it being passed to separate hands then the person it was traded to would then have ID. Seems like overkill for something that could be worth just few silver or gold when you could easily just get more glint or loot another player.

All that is stated about the caravans is attackers looting the caravan wreckage will have it flagged as stolen glint or commodities. Nothing definitive about defenders looting it which is quite controversial especially if you just throw the event to get non-stole loot. It's why mentioned earlier it could be flagged as stolen until returned to either the caravan owner or some node. Maybe defenders wont even be able to loot it because they lost.

https://youtu.be/sNfwQILIasQ?t=4714
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravan_destruction
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crates

It's threads like these that make me wonder if they will actually put insurance in the game eventually lol
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Vissox People have been trying to make PvP non viable for a long ass time.

People enjoy going to different IPs and ruining PvP because they simply hate PvP.

Just like people hating a skilled game. They want World of Hello Kittycraft.
  • Options
    @Solvryn It is a PvE driven game essentially. To say it's a PvP driven game is a stretch. It is a combination of the two but not what it's hyped up to be that people claim.
  • Options
    @Solvryn It is a PvE driven game essentially. To say it's a PvP driven game is a stretch. It is a combination of the two but not what it's hyped up to be that people claim.

You are fundamentally wrong. Ashes isn't advertised as a PvE driven game at all, steven has said multiple times that it is a PLAYER driven game. There is so much evidence for it as well, with the caravan system, with the node system, with the PVP dropped resource system. There will be in-game politics, that trigger sieges,
    these are all things shown by the Devs. In fact, the only PvE driven thing we have seen was the cyclops boss showcase. That's it, that's all we have to go on for repeatable PvE content.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

You are fundamentally wrong. Ashes isn't advertised as a PvE driven game at all, steven has said multiple times that it is a PLAYER driven game. There is so much evidence for it as well, with the caravan system, with the node system, with the PVP dropped resource system. There will be in-game politics, that trigger sieges,
    these are all things shown by the Devs. In fact, the only PvE driven thing we have seen was the cyclops boss showcase. That's it, that's all we have to go on for repeatable PvE content.

Not really considering you can get away without ever playing PvP in the game.
    Node progression is based on all contributions within the the ZOI. Resources and crafting is prominently PvE.
    You can acquire all the best gear, crafting mats prominently through PvE.
    You are auto-flagged as non-combatant until you "force" attack triggering a 90 second combatant status which they have to return attack to prevent you from gaining corruption if you kill them outside of OPT-in events flagging.
    Node sieges are declaration and time gated per node which could take place once every month or so depending on resources and node tier. Castle sieges essential the same. You can travel and sign up to other nodes but it doesn't change the fact.

Caravan PvP is pretty much the central focus for OPT-in pvp on a regular bases. Hope you like caravan scenarios because this game is full of them.
    PvP may break out in the open world once in a while but it's not a driving factor. Glint acquired from PvE is naturally worth more in comparison.

You can get similar things through pvp yes but it's not PvP driven. You choose to force attack players in the open world to adjust your flagging.

You're not logging in everyday to defend anything other than caravans and perhaps yourself doing some dungeons or quests.

lol :smile: yeah, it's a PvE driven for the most part.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @Vissox
    you're not technically wrong about it being advertised with certain wording. Player contribution makes the economy go but they'll essentially be driving it either predominately through PvE like I mentioned with some PvP variables involved that are not forced.

It's like any other essentially except for a few key differences with obvious things like node development and sieges, caravan running scenarios and the low risk medium reward system.

Depending on when and whom, but you'll potentially be seeing a lot of PvE players doing just that. You can play mayor and politics all you want but it doesn't change that those are essentially PvE roles.
  • Options

Node progression is based on all contributions within the the ZOI. Resources and crafting is prominently PvE.
    You are auto-flagged as non-combatant until you "force" attack triggering a 90 second combatant status which they have to return attack to prevent you from gaining corruption if you kill them outside of OPT-in events flagging.
    Node sieges are declaration and time gated per node which could take place once every month or so depending on resources and node tier. Castle sieges essential the same. You can travel and sign up to other nodes but it doesn't change the fact.

Caravan PvP is pretty much the central focus for OPT-in pvp on a regular bases. Hope you like caravan scenarios because this game is full of them.
    PvP may break out in the open world once in a while but it's not a driving factor. Glint acquired from PvE is naturally worth more in comparison.

You can get similar things through pvp yes but it's not PvP driven. You choose to force attack players in the open world to adjust your flagging.

You're not logging in everyday to defend anything other than caravans and perhaps yourself doing some dungeons or quests.

imagine thinking the game isnt pvp just because you dont get gear through an arena or battleground.

how do you plan on getting those mats to crft your gear when you have to pvp to gain access to the area where the mats are, or even the mats themselves.
    how are you going to kill the raid bosses when you have to pvp for the boss?
    you have to pvp for everything in ashes. you even have to pvp so that the tier6 nodes that you want exist in the game. how are you even gonna get your stuff if for example, every t6 is a military node? no scientific, no commercial node!

silly wabbit
  • Options

imagine thinking the game isnt pvp just because you dont get gear through an arena or battleground.

how do you plan on getting those mats to crft your gear when you have to pvp to gain access to the area where the mats are, or even the mats themselves.
    you have to pvp for everything in ashes. you even have to pvp so that the tier6 nodes that you want exist in the game. how are you even gonna get your stuff if for example, every t6 is a military node? no scientific, no commercial node!

silly wabbit

You don't have to PvP. you're auto flagged as non-combatant until conditions are met either by you or an instigator. I suggest you read the wiki and look at official content for how the game is currently.

There may be intermittent pvp from time to time like fighting over a boss or resource outside of opt-in events which is going to be a controversy to the flagging system once players start complaining more about it based on the kill shot a green to gain player corruption situation.

Maybe you don't understand it outside of the hype train fantasy lol
  • Options
    Or maybe you don't understand how owpvp games work :)
  • Options

silly wabbit

You don't have to PvP. you're auto flagged as non-combatant until conditions are met either by you or an instigator. I suggest you read the wiki and look at official content for how the game is currently.

There may be intermittent pvp from time to time like fighting over a boss or resource outside of opt-in events which is going to be a controversy to the flagging system once players start complaining more about it based on the kill shot a green to gain player corruption situation.

by that logic, no game is pvp until the very moment you hit someone...

also, pvp doesnt always mean be in combat trying to kill another player. it also means competing against other players.

look at old l2, most hardcore pvp game you wiill ever see (while also having hardcore pve) and you arent always fighting someone else.

i asked you a while back but you never answered. what is a pvp game? what is a hardcore pvp game?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Or maybe you don't understand how owpvp games work :)

hmm lets see.. owpvp = open world pvp
    which means we can attack players in the open world

using the force attack command from non-combatant to another non-combatant we flag as a combatant for currently 90 seconds

the other player has a few options...
    1. dont fight back, potentially die and cause the attacker to gain corruption
    2. dont fight back and escape remaining as non-combatant
    3. fight back and become a combatant as well for 90 seconds

Opt in pvp such as caravans and seiges
    go to the event and....
    1. choose a side to be either attacker or defender
    2. your status in the event will become combatant until abandoning event or a victor is chosen in which you will return to a non-combatant after which im assuming the 90 second flagging will still occur.

who cares about guild vs guild

We don't log on daily to conquer shit.

So unless the wiki and official examples are currently not to date (as to why I say currently) that is how it is... currently. It doesn't mean you cant attack player troll, grief and kill. It just means it's not a focal point of day to day activities.
  • Options
    Which is precisely why you don't know how owpvp games work. Guilds are the "factions" of factionsless mmos. You won't be farming anything meaningful if you are not in a guild. And any guild that's farming anything meaningful will have a war with another guild that's trying to do the same.

And guild wars in ashes mean endless pvp w/o becoming red.

Everyone who's played an owpvp mmo cares about guilds, because they realize what guilds imply.
  • Options

silly wabbit

by that logic, no game is pvp until the very moment you hit someone...

also, pvp doesnt always mean be in combat trying to kill another player. it also means competing against other players.

look at old l2, most hardcore pvp game you wiill ever see (while also having hardcore pve) and you arent always fighting someone else.

I asked you a while back but you never answered. what is a pvp game? what is a hardcore pvp game?

No but a pvp driven game is focused significantly around pvp that directly impacts the game on a day to day basis, not gated. Honestly, I beginning to think you dont even know what a pvp focused game actually implies.

The game is PvX but the weight of the PvE is more significant compared to the PvP. The game and economy can function without ever needed to pvp especially in the open world.

Sieging nodes isn't really required to progress as fundamentality as the PvE is in the game. Sure it can have a role in adjusting vassals and what not but the game still functions at its core regardless of it.

let's all praise lineage 2.. what a revolutionary pioneer in the genre...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Which is precisely why you don't know how owpvp games work. Guilds are the "factions" of factionsless mmos. You won't be farming anything meaningful if you are not in a guild. And any guild that's farming anything meaningful will have a war with another guild that's trying to do the same.

And guild wars in ashes mean endless pvp w/o becoming red.

Everyone who's played an owpvp mmo cares about guilds, because they realize what guilds imply.

based but you can farm essentially regardless of a guild by just forming a group. sure, guilds can help but they act the same way as a community or group finding works. Guilds warring against each other isn't an integral part of the design. It's just a feature for players to war against each other. Dont have to be in a guild for opt-ins.