Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I dont get the glint-system

Comments

• Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Then you will be a happy bounty hunter :smiley:
    That is really true >:)
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Percimes wrote: »
    If your monthly spending of rare glint is averaging 25 and you already have 12345 of the stuff in storage, why fill your backpack with more of it?
    Do you know anyone who decides to simply not pick up currency? Cause I don't think I've ever seen a person like that. And glint is literally currency.

Unlike most currencies, glint isn't limited to a numerical value visible on the UI: it takes inventory space. And as anything taking inventory space, it's subject to inventory management. It's the same as any drop item from mobs, you could pick everything all the time because it's only gold in waiting. Just need the extra step of selling it to a merchant. Once you've filled all your inventory with junk to sell, you must prioritize what to keep and what to drop every time you kill a mob. Do you keep that stack of 5 twigs worth 2 copper pieces each or do you pick up that rusty dagger selling for 15 copper? In a way, glint is the same, do you pick up more twigs because they stack or should you allow yourself to ignore them because they're no longer worth the inventory space.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited November 2023
    Percimes wrote: »
    Do you keep that stack of 5 twigs worth 2 copper pieces each or do you pick up that rusty dagger selling for 15 copper? In a way, glint is the same, do you pick up more twigs because they stack or should you allow yourself to ignore them because they're no longer worth the inventory space.
    But what if those 5 twigs pay your taxes?

And the abundance of any given type of glint (especially in the higher rarities) would imply that players have a shitton of money just lying around. And I'm not an economy person, but iirc that's a bad thing.

Also, as I mentioned a bit ago, it would be interesting if we get pure glint from successful node sieges, so maybe having a shitton of glint in one place could be interesting (and I'd assume you can't do anything with it once the siege is declared, cause it's a material), but I'd also be interested in seeing people's reactions to potentially losing all of their fees/taxes money :D

Losing potential money in the form of mats is one thing, but losing direct money that you use to pay for important things is a whole different thing. And this kinda leads me to believe that Steven won't let glint be blocked from withdrawals after siegedec, which would in turn decrease the motivation to siege :D

Glint is considered an easier and more simple form of what certs were supposed to be, but I feel like it instead overcomplicates a shitton of interactions.
  • Options
    @NiKr I'm getting the impression gold will be more abundant than people think which implies higher economic inflation and taxes. This makes me curious how expensive nodes sieges may as actually be and how frequent they may actually occur.
  • Options
    I'm getting the impression gold will be more abundant than people think which implies higher economic inflation and taxes. This makes me curious how expensive nodes sieges may as actually be and how frequent they may actually occur.
    There's gonna be a SHITTON of gold. Unreasonable amounts. The game literally has a multiplier for your income built into it. I expect guilds to have millions within the first few months, if not quicker.

And yeah, depending on what exactly we loot after a siege, siege scrolls might be reaaaal expensive.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I'm getting the impression gold will be more abundant than people think which implies higher economic inflation and taxes. This makes me curious how expensive nodes sieges may as actually be and how frequent they may actually occur.
    There's gonna be a SHITTON of gold. Unreasonable amounts. The game literally has a multiplier for your income built into it. I expect guilds to have millions within the first few months, if not quicker.

And yeah, depending on what exactly we loot after a siege, siege scrolls might be reaaaal expensive.

exactly. Sieges could be quite a bit more affordable and increasing frequency for a gold sinks which could backfire or less affordable and players/guilds are too rich which destabilises the games economy regardless.

EDIT:

They can try and play "cat and mouse" with adjustments and metrics but in the end, players will out pace it with currency accumulations from various methods.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Can't defend a caravan alone. Can't farm en mass alone. Can't trust randoms either. The problem is the caravan will broadcast its presence and the pvp will be corruption free. Its like a sick joke by the devs because caravan pvp still has gear degradation and a stationary caravan means people can amass a big force out of sight and sweep the caravan away.

I am confident Sir Steven and his Crew will balance it to the best of their Ability.

Like - when +10 up to +70 Players or so (lol) wait for nothing else, but a Caravan to spawn - so they can jump at most the Stuff of like 2 up to 5 People or so,

then Yes the Caravan might be done for - but aside from the fact, that You can (and "SHOULD") - send out Decoy-Caravans as well,

i bet People will find a way to balance it out ingame, to tackle the Problem of Players just lying in wait for Caravans.

When a Group ( Guild ? ) for Example is just wealthy enough -> why not hiring fellow Players as Mercenary Protectors ?

And probably include them a little bit in how much Currency the Caravan's Wares will make at the Destination picked to sell it there ?

Of Course People would need to have a certain Oversight, so that for Example the Players hired as Mercenaries to protect the Caravans, don't feel like they got swindled from the promised Percentages of the Wares sold.

I see exciting Possibilities there, not just Problems.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

Could be that gold will be useless and only the other currencies will be important.
    The statement: "you don't drop gold when you die" is just bait.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Could be that gold will be useless and only the other currencies will be important.

It would be pointless for gold to exist in such a circumstance.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It is worth noting too that in this months demonstration you can see resources that are flagged as corrupted/stolen aside from glint.

y4md43op5i7f.png

Could be seeing various ways to purify stolen commodities in terms of gold sinks if we're not able to use stolen materials in recipes.

EDIT:

Narc also pointed this out. Give credit where credits due.

https://youtu.be/VRSQczuWcco?t=382

6:20 time stamp roughly
  • Options
    It is worth noting too that in this months demonstration you can see resources that are flagged as corrupted/stolen aside from glint.
    I pointed it out before :) Though I also stole that observation from narc :D
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I pointed it out before :) Though I also stole that observation from narc :D

I must've missed it with the focus on glint haha

Just watched his video a few minutes ago

EDIT:

unless you're referring to the white apple part? then my morning brain clearly forgot lol
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited November 2023
    unless you're referring to the white apple part? then my morning brain clearly forgot lol
    Yeah, I didn't go through the entire start of the og video, so didn't catch the corrupted barley and just went with the apple.
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't go through the entire start of the og video, so didn't catch the corrupted barley and just went with the apple.

that's fair lol
  • Options

I think the best way to rationalize gold is that its this "banked" value that you can invest in risky endeavors for more. Its a go-between for these other currency systems. I believe there will be enough sinks for gold to not be this over-abundant, inflated thing but we gotta see it in action to be sure.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited November 2023
    If this "corrupted" flag will prove to be useful, it could be applied also to the resources taken by a corrupted player when he kills a green.
    The only way resources should stay "clean" is when the owner takes them back himself from the caravan wreckage / ashes.

A caravan/player can be destroyed/killed by NPCs too.
    So anyone taking something which belongs to somebody else, should get corrupted glint and resources.
  • Options
    @Raven016 I'm assuming anything looted(stolen) from a player or caravan upon death or destruction will be flagged as corrupted unless you're the owner of it as the wiki implies the cargo is sealed with crafters mark.

Should be interesting how the flagging plays a role in this if much at all.
  • Options
    @Raven016 I'm assuming anything looted(stolen) from a player or caravan upon death or destruction will be flagged as corrupted unless you're the owner of it as the wiki implies the cargo is sealed with crafters mark.

I think the flagging should stay as it is. Was discussed 7 years on forum and I think it passed as robust enough.
    The problem with the caravan wreckage is that you may want to ask a friend to help you save some crates, assuming that the attackers actually died and had no time to return. Then the friend or guild mate will get corrupted resources.
    If the resources become "clean" if returned to the owner, then the same system can be applied to things looted from ashes too.
  • Options

I think the flagging should stay as it is. Was discussed 7 years on forum and I think it passed as robust enough.
    The problem with the caravan wreckage is that you may want to ask a friend to help you save some crates, assuming that the attackers actually died and had no time to return. Then the friend or guild mate will get corrupted resources.
    If the resources become "clean" if returned to the owner, then the same system can be applied to things looted from ashes too.

That's the point of crafters "seal". if you're not the crafter(caravan owner) it's not your cargo or property essentially. If defenders are stealing your cargo then they're not defenders lol
  • Options
    They could give it back to you...
  • Options
    They could give it back to you...

They could.. or they could not lol. The black market essentially scrubs that seal/binding clean. Just a moral dilemma I suppose.

In terms of caravan runs, returning it to the owner of the caravan could essentially make it not corrupted anymore because of the seal/binding as was discussed.

In terms of flagging, killing a non-combatant and taking their loot would essentially make it corrupted automatically I would assume. Anything you as the player does will not originally flag as corrupted unless you loot it off another player. This could directly be the same thing for combatant because essentially it's not your loot and there is no seal protecting its claim.

Looting a corrupted player? would that still make it a corrupted item or not because they are themselves corrupted.

Could just come down to purifying corrupted items through gold or glint which can also be redeemed for gold. Essentially same thing.

I'm just theory crafting the system :smile:
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Looting a corrupted player? would that still make it a corrupted item or not because they are themselves corrupted.

Interesting point. They've said that corrupted players are essentially treated as monsters, so even though they might have gotten the items legally, if they are a monster at time of death... yeah it kinda makes sense to be able to loot non-stolen glint and materials off them from that perspective.

From a game mechanics perspective it would be a bad idea though, since that is essentially a way to transfer clean glint, circumventing the system.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »

Interesting point. They've said that corrupted players are essentially treated as monsters, so even though they might have gotten the items legally, if they are a monster at time of death... yeah it kinda makes sense to be able to loot non-stolen glint and materials off them from that perspective.

From a game mechanics perspective it would be a bad idea though, since that is essentially a way to transfer clean glint, circumventing the system.

That is true. good point! Corruption laundering lol
  • Options

The corruption of the loot, I think happens because it gets tainted with the "greed" emotion of the humans handling it. So looting from a corrupt player to keep it for yourself should make the loot even more corrupt.
    A bounty hunter maybe could deal with the loot better... because he is doing it for the bounty not the loot.
  • Options

The corruption of the loot, I think happens because it gets tainted with the "greed" emotion of the humans handling it. So looting from a corrupt player to keep it for yourself should make the loot even more corrupt.
    A bounty hunter maybe could deal with the loot better... because he is doing it for the bounty not the loot.

The brigands were keeping themselves low by the side of the road. They've been hearing the rumblings of the axles and wheels of the slow moving caravan well before it came into their view. They began to leer and fidget their weapons as the wagon lumbered toward their ambush. "What kind of resources you think we'll find in this one, boss?" whispered one of the more impatient ruffians. The leader, not wanting to break is own rule for silence, just passed an inquisitive look at his main scout, hiding a little higher but whose sharp ears had pricked up at the inquiry. The ranger began to sniff at the light breeze blowing in their direction bringing with it the smells of the animals pulling the caravan, and another very distinct one.

"It reek of glint" hissed the ranger. "Commodities at best, if we're lucky"

With a sigh, the grizzle thief signal the crew to stay low and let this one pass. Too much trouble getting the corruption out of the powder, and he had promised an easy job to his men.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options

@NiKr the profit will sink if we do these caravans many times between the same nodes. It's like the NPC trader have enough of those commodities from that particular node.
    So we do this to pay taxes and if we get tired or we need more profit, we help sieging the node we used to purchase from. Could be one of those 20 nodes outside the metropolis nations or it can be the reason to start a war between metro nations.
    @Tyranthraxus you was asking for a reason to siege metropolises.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Glint = Gold income from mobs, mobs dont drop gold or thing to sell they drop glint instead, this is cause glint is a material so it gets dropped on death unlike gold which doesnt, you can then either convert this into gold or items to get more gold if u do another step which is the caravan run think of it as gambling to a degree double your money or loose it all :P

caravans will still be used to transport materials aswell wood to the dessert for example

long story short glint is basicly equivalent to mob dropping gold which can then be used on several other things or covnerted into gold at town

glint is bound. i doubt it can be dropped on death
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    Glint = Gold income from mobs, mobs dont drop gold or thing to sell they drop glint instead, this is cause glint is a material so it gets dropped on death unlike gold which doesnt, you can then either convert this into gold or items to get more gold if u do another step which is the caravan run think of it as gambling to a degree double your money or loose it all :P

caravans will still be used to transport materials aswell wood to the dessert for example

long story short glint is basicly equivalent to mob dropping gold which can then be used on several other things or covnerted into gold at town

Yes it can and will be dropping on death. Glint is the official name for monster certificates.

from the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Glint

fb9d1oprz7ut.png
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Yes it can and will be dropping on death. Glint is the official name for monster certificates.

fb9d1oprz7ut.png

no, its not.
    stolen glint isnt the same as glint. they cant even be used on the same buildings. stolen glint can be redeemed for lesser value than glint at the black market. there is no indication that you can use it to "pay" for all the other things that you can buy with glint. it seems that you will just get some gold (less than if you sold glint directly)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Sathrago wrote: »

fb9d1oprz7ut.png

no, its not.
    stolen glint isnt the same as glint. they cant even be used on the same buildings. stolen glint can be redeemed for lesser value than glint at the black market. there is no indication that you can use it to "pay" for all the other things that you can buy with glint. it seems that you will just get some gold (less than if you sold glint directly)

They are essentially the same certificate. The corrupted version of glint (stolen) is not bound and needs to be redeemed through the black market for less than non-corrupt version.