Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fighters are vampires? (Please read this)

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Im making sure my points are extra clear for him to respond to
    Nah, I'm out of that convo. I got the tiniest bit of desire to reply, but then I realized that my reply would just continue the circular argument and I stopped myself :)
    Azherae wrote: »
    faster than NiKr can check his DPS on them.
    I feel deeply personally offended that you'd think I check my dps on anything :( I either kill or I kill not. There is no dps B)

So the moment you get clear points you jump out after saying I'm not making a in depth argument lmao.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nah, I'm out of that convo. I got the tiniest bit of desire to reply, but then I realized that my reply would just continue the circular argument and I stopped myself :)
    I feel deeply personally offended that you'd think I check my dps on anything :( I either kill or I kill not. There is no dps B)

So the moment you get clear points you jump out after saying I'm not making a in depth argument lmao.

Yeah, that's the best takeaway you could possibly have from this, so please take it.

Just believe that people stop arguing because you have made your points so clear that they are unassailable.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I jumped out twice already :) Both before you provided those points. If I reply to said points, I'll simply have to jump out again, because I know exactly how you'll respond to my points (for you have responded to all my previous points in the exact same way already).

So, as a learning moment for the future - try making such clear points at the start of the discussion :)
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I jumped out twice already :) Both before you provided those points. If I reply to said points, I'll simply have to jump out again, because I know exactly how you'll respond to my points (for you have responded to all my previous points in the exact same way already).

So, as a learning moment for the future - try making such clear points at the start of the discussion :)

My points have been clear thing is you made the conversation a mess and didn't really address the points to begin with.

Ie when you started to try a make a argument about anything could be meta and what ifs.

Though this convo as reddit vibes anyway its not really about address points. You have a pattern of skewing the discussion, so if I make a point that makes your own feel weaker you will slightly avoid it and give different questioning to slowly curve away from it. So pretty much point after point you tend to do that and why you find yourself going in a circle.

A learning experience for you would be rather than trying to find ways around the important points, ask more questions related to it to understand better and who ever mind set and answer those points directly. It will cause less boat in the conversation.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Yeah, that's the best takeaway you could possibly have from this, so please take it.

Just believe that people stop arguing because you have made your points so clear that they are unassailable.

Do you have anything to add or no?
  • Options

I would argue with all your points, actually, because they're shortsighted, bad, and show a complete lack of understanding of balance to the point where I feel like I'd need to provide references and hope you read them.

But I also know that you can't hold that amount of information at once, so it's pointless unless I can figure out a way for it to benefit Intrepid, and manage to keep you under control enough that you keep saying the next thing I want you to say in the sequence.

I haven't reached that point yet.

Tentatively I'd try 'explaining why the 45s CD doesn't matter at all to the argument and if anything is really bad because it forces them to make the ability too powerful when it is up'.

Any opinion on that? I'd assume it is your honest belief that having a super powerful ability on a class that chooses its engagement point, can be balanced by 'it having a long cooldown', but maybe you at least understand why that isn't true?

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I would argue with all your points, actually, because they're shortsighted, bad, and show a complete lack of understanding of balance to the point where I feel like I'd need to provide references and hope you read them.

But I also know that you can't hold that amount of information at once, so it's pointless unless I can figure out a way for it to benefit Intrepid, and manage to keep you under control enough that you keep saying the next thing I want you to say in the sequence.

Tentatively I'd try 'explaining why the 45s CD doesn't matter at all to the argument and if anything is really bad because it forces them to make the ability too powerful when it is up'.

Any opinion on that? I'd assume it is your honest belief that having a super powerful ability on a class that chooses its engagement point, can be balanced by 'it having a long cooldown', but maybe you at least understand why that isn't true?

Rather than being around the bushing or throwing back handed insults why not just be normal and just have a conversation?

We can start with the CD point since you were willing to mention how you feel on that.

My belief isn't about that skill not being stronger than any other skill imo unless we are talking about you investing a lot for points into it from making it go from average to above average on top of augmentation. Just because a skill has a longer CD doesn't mean it is automatic for it to be suddenly so much more powerful. It will be one of many skills you have (though not as many as other mmorpgs where you have like 40= skills all at once regardless if some are good or bad)

If this was a moba by view point would be different do to having more of a limited amount of skills, meaning it would have to be powerful for that cooldown since you have like 4-5 skills to use. Being a mmorpg this is different though since you will have a lot of skills to use be it attacks, debuffs or buffs.

My view point on this would only change if this was like a max level ability as they tend to be very strong by default.

Without getting to much into my other points and trying to stick to the cd one, I'd argue it shouldn't really be that powerful a skill and not replace need of a cleric. But people should be able to invest in it like other skills.
  • Options

Rather than being around the bushing or throwing back handed insults why not just be normal and just have a conversation?

We can start with the CD point since you were willing to mention how you feel on that.

My belief isn't about that skill not being stronger than any other skill imo unless we are talking about you investing a lot for points into it from making it go from average to above average on top of augmentation. Just because a skill has a longer CD doesn't mean it is automatic for it to be suddenly so much more powerful. It will be one of many skills you have (though not as many as other mmorpgs where you have like 40= skills all at once regardless if some are good or bad)

If this was a moba by view point would be different do to having more of a limited amount of skills, meaning it would have to be powerful for that cooldown since you have like 4-5 skills to use. Being a mmorpg this is different though since you will have a lot of skills to use be it attacks, debuffs or buffs.

My view point on this would only change if this was like a max level ability as they tend to be very strong by default.

Without getting to much into my other points and trying to stick to the cd one, I'd argue it shouldn't really be that powerful a skill and not replace need of a cleric. But people should be able to invest in it like other skills.

Because if I try to have a conversation with you, it always turns into you having a conversation with yourself, technically the strawman version of whatever I said, that you make up in your head.

Glad to know your viewpoint would not change.

And therefore I concede that I have nothing to add, but thank you for allowing me the chance to make it clear that the only reason I do not have anything to add is because I'm not willing to discuss things with you specifically.

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

Because if I try to have a conversation with you, it always turns into you having a conversation with yourself, technically the strawman version of whatever I said, that you make up in your head.

Glad to know your viewpoint would not change.

And therefore I concede that I have nothing to add, but thank you for allowing me the chance to make it clear that the only reason I do not have anything to add is because I'm not willing to discuss things with you specifically.

Pretty toxic but what was I expecting -shrugs-
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 5
    The Arrogance " seems " real in this Topic ... ... ...

I am curious what the Reaction will be when the Gameplay is like the EXACT OPPOSITE of what "certain" Folks here cheekily demand it is ... .. ...
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    The Arrogance " seems " real in this Topic ... ... ...

I am curious what the Reaction will be when the Gameplay is like the EXACT OPPOSITE of what "certain" Folks here cheekily demand it is ... .. ...

I'm sure it will be the obvious standard reaction?

They'll just go 'oh I don't like this' and not play. That's how it works, right?

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    They'll just go 'oh I don't like this' and not play. That's how it works, right?
    And others will chase them out even further by saying "if you don't like it - don't play it". A truly classic interaction.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Hey! I loved just about everything that the team has done with the fighter archetype but one thing. Since when has the mmo community agreed that fighters are also vampires? Why is it that blood heals a fighter/warrior/beserker?

Solution 1: Instead of healing with blood (vampirism) how about incorporating "Adrenaline". Adrenaline could be the ability to replace the vampiric ability. Instead of healing for a smaller portion, the fighter could mitigate damage (pain) for a short period of time and that mitigation could be equal to the healing of the vampiric ability.

Solution 2: Why not just increase the HP pool size of a fighter so that it doesn’t affect the class fantasy? Is a fighter healing really a good choice? Again, just make their HP pool bigger equivalent to the guesstimated amount of healing done from vampiric blood drinking or whatever. So if the fighter were to heal for 400hp, why not just increase the fighter's hp by around that much? The fighter wouldn't be a tank, it would still be a fighter but slightly more beefy.

Thanks for reading this. The animations look smooth and sick. The leap a bit cheesy, but cool. The exert ability and stances are amazing concepts. Love just about everything except what was mentioned above.

that would be a completely different skill. on needs to hit enemies, the other one requires you to get hit...

also, healing is better than hp.
  • Options
    k3mrak3mra Member
    I think op has a point.

What do you guys think about that idea:
    Insead of healing you gain a overhealth "shield" like in overwatch or the warriors irgnore pain from wow.
    So with every hit instead of healing you gain a a cirtain amount of heal on seperate healthbar that has to be damaged first before you take real health dmg again.

Possible talenttree options could be:
    You can have a higher max amount of overhealth.
    Or your skills cost aditional momentum while blood fusion is activ.
    Or you gain a lower amount of overhealth but with every hit while activ your other abilitys cooldown for X amount.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    k3mra wrote: »
    I think op has a point.

What do you guys think about that idea:
    Insead of healing you gain a overhealth "shield" like in overwatch or the warriors irgnore pain from wow.
    So with every hit instead of healing you gain a a cirtain amount of heal on seperate healthbar that has to be damaged first before you take real health dmg again.

Possible talenttree options could be:
    You can have a higher max amount of overhealth.
    Or your skills cost aditional momentum while blood fusion is activ.
    Or you gain a lower amount of overhealth but with every hit while activ your other abilitys cooldown for X amount.

shields and damage reductions would be broken, remember you have a healer healing you..and on top of that you take even less damage?

stop looking at warriors as vampires, look at their heal as a battle frenzy or blood lust or something. the thrill of the fight keeps them going (gives them health). kind of like tryndamere ulti, he gets so angry he cant die XD
  • Options
    k3mrak3mra Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    shields and damage reductions would be broken, remember you have a healer healing you..and on top of that you take even less damage?

stop looking at warriors as vampires, look at their heal as a battle frenzy or blood lust or something. the thrill of the fight keeps them going (gives them health). kind of like tryndamere ulti, he gets so angry he cant die XD

I dont think as them being vempires and more like them pushing thru the pain. But that why i also think a overhealth shield would be good.
    It doesnt have to Stay on them forever. maybe it is fast diminishing (like shield in Last Epoch) and you can extend that amount in your skilltree.

I just though of something that doent let you regret if you poushed the button for mana purposes.

Also i know AoC will not be balanced on the 1v1 persepctiv. But i think fighters beat roughes, roughes beat caster, caster beat fighters.
    With that in mind, lets say you have 50% health and reach a mage if you press "Blood Fusion" and get some heavy hitting skills of you are now at 100% again the mage CC´s you and the fight is essentialy reset for you.
    With my Idea you now sit at 50% + 30%(or what ever amount the max be) health, you get CC´d and the mage waits the few Seconds till the Overhealthshield is gone.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I dont think as them being vempires and more like them pushing thru the pain. But that why i also think a overhealth shield would be good.
    It doesnt have to Stay on them forever. maybe it is fast diminishing (like shield in Last Epoch) and you can extend that amount in your skilltree.

I just though of something that doent let you regret if you poushed the button for mana purposes.

Also i know AoC will not be balanced on the 1v1 persepctiv. But i think fighters beat roughes, roughes beat caster, caster beat fighters.
    With that in mind, lets say you have 50% health and reach a mage if you press "Blood Fusion" and get some heavy hitting skills of you are now at 100% again the mage CC´s you and the fight is essentialy reset for you.
    With my Idea you now sit at 50% + 30%(or what ever amount the max be) health, you get CC´d and the mage waits the few Seconds till the Overhealthshield is gone.

Why are we saying to remove abilities and not having an idea to add another ability? Like these aren't all the skills a fighter is going to have....there will be more as you level up.
  • Options
    k3mrak3mra Member
    Why are we saying to remove abilities and not having an idea to add another ability? Like these aren't all the skills a fighter is going to have....there will be more as you level up.

I dont want the ability to be removed.
    Its 70% likely i will play a fighter and im ok with "Blood Fusion" to heal me. But fantasy whise i would pefer it to not heal but give a different effekt.
    My example what i would prefer was overhealthshield.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just be glad I have Mag7 on Ignore so that threads don't end up with 10 extra pages of just the two us bantering back and forth.
  • Options
    I totally agree with this. Could be a cool option if you're wearing a Carfin set, but I think ash/embers being absorbed into you might make more sense with the theme of the game.
    “To know the Gods, we must first know ourselves. Science is our looking glass.”
  • Options
    GuajatuGuajatu Member
    edited April 6
    I loved that the class has a bloodhunter, The D&D class, feel.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

I dont want the ability to be removed.
    Its 70% likely i will play a fighter and im ok with "Blood Fusion" to heal me. But fantasy whise i would pefer it to not heal but give a different effekt.
    My example what i would prefer was overhealthshield.

That sounds not a completely different type of skill, so again why not have another skill for people to pick?
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member

well, having that shield would be too unbalanced in group fights. why? because now you can get that shield and your healer will heal you back to full, and on top of that, you have that shield. so you basically have more health than what you had. so if we are going to decide on the skill based on 1v1 or group fights, id rather it be balanced for group fights, not for 1v1, so doesn't matter if you get a reset in 1v1 by healing yourself, since in group fights, you cant have more health than your max health (you can with a shield or damage reduction) so your healer cant heal you more than your max health.

regarding the heal, I noticed in the video that it worked better against groups. so in a 1v1 situation, you might not even heal that much...and of course, the mage can still use a cc when you activate the skill then run away and wait until its over..so its kind of the same thing...
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    After some time thinking on this, it actually makes more sense to me for fighters to be well attuned to what we would call blood magic. These are people that live in the thick tides of battle, tearing through flesh and bone while also being torn up themselves. From what I can see, Verra is a world that is hyper blessed with magic. Every action is magical in a sense, which should make it easier for people to attune to specific types of magic through repeated engagement with it. Sort of like an adaptation that evolved over time to be an actual trait that could be passed on or attained through diligence.

And to be clear im not saying they should suddenly know how to throw out blood bolts, or other crazy blood magic. However, it makes sense that they could subconsciously create a technique that passively absorbed the lifeforce of their wounded foes in the heat of battle.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I don't believe it's subconscious - rather it's a path the can be actively pursued if the individual Fighter so chooses or, of course, ignored for some other focus.

Originally, I was envisioning Fighters primarily as Human or Elven Swashbucklers.
    I was kinda hoping we would see Dunir featured in the Fighter demo since we haven't seen the remodeled Dunir in the game yet.
    I was not at all expecting Ren'Kai to be the Race to demo Fighter.
    I would not expect the lore to depict Humans or Elves developing a bloody path of Skills for Fighter - but it makes a ton of sense that Ren'Kai might develop a Blood School for Fighters.

And seems very likely that Elves would Augment that path to become Nature-based, rather than Blood-based. And Rogues might Augment that path to be Shadow-based.
    Even if you feel forced to use every Active Skill in the kit - there are many ways players to alter the Blood to be something other than Blood.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Endowed wrote: »
    They are certainly "death knights" from WOW. strangest design concept ive seen yet in AoC.
    When watching I thought it was absolutely out of context and in bad mmo form for a base warrior.

Death Knight would be more tame then the warrior blood spec. Seeing shadowy effects again would be a step up from seeing that much blood that pairs with the sound effects of the wet sloshing of blood being pooled. Again, I'm fine with blood effects but the ones shown are over the top. No one has that much blood in their body. They would be dead on a single tick. Remove or tame it down pls.
  • Options
    catibriecatibrie Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Hey! I loved just about everything that the team has done with the fighter archetype but one thing. Since when has the mmo community agreed that fighters are also vampires? Why is it that blood heals a fighter/warrior/beserker?

Solution 1: Instead of healing with blood (vampirism) how about incorporating "Adrenaline". Adrenaline could be the ability to replace the vampiric ability. Instead of healing for a smaller portion, the fighter could mitigate damage (pain) for a short period of time and that mitigation could be equal to the healing of the vampiric ability.

Solution 2: Why not just increase the HP pool size of a fighter so that it doesn’t affect the class fantasy? Is a fighter healing really a good choice? Again, just make their HP pool bigger equivalent to the guesstimated amount of healing done from vampiric blood drinking or whatever. So if the fighter were to heal for 400hp, why not just increase the fighter's hp by around that much? The fighter wouldn't be a tank, it would still be a fighter but slightly more beefy.

Thanks for reading this. The animations look smooth and sick. The leap a bit cheesy, but cool. The exert ability and stances are amazing concepts. Love just about everything except what was mentioned above.

Agreed. This is not the game I thought I was backing.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Endowed wrote: »
    They are certainly "death knights" from WOW. strangest design concept ive seen yet in AoC.
    When watching I thought it was absolutely out of context and in bad mmo form for a base warrior.

Death Knight would be more tame then the warrior blood spec. Seeing shadowy effects again would be a step up from seeing that much blood that pairs with the sound effects of the wet sloshing of blood being pooled. Again, I'm fine with blood effects but the ones shown are over the top. No one has that much blood in their body. They would be dead on a single tick. Remove or tame it down pls.
    Again... Ashes is a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    Where does has it been stated in the lore that all of that is actual, physical Blood that has been removed from the target. Much of that may just be magical SFX
    The Shield we see the Tank conjur in that Demo is magical SFX; not an actual, physical Shield.
    If you don't like those SFX, there will be ways for your character to change their appearance - most likely sound, as well as sight.
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    A solution would be to make it similar as to how WoW did it in classic.
    Warriors could use bandages and well... the ever healing food that is universally agreed upon as a scource of healing in games. That or a healing potion.
    I agree that a physical class should not possess a strange lifeheal that befits a supernatural creature and not an average species without vampiric abilities.

you get it
    Its amazing when people don't look at things in context, even more amazing when you think talking about systems and such is equal to talking about a single skill and trying to call it meta or saying that is the same as asking a question.
    It's amazing when people don't look at skills in context, even more amazing when you think talking about skill balancing and such is equal to being ignorant and trying to call it only a single skill or saying that it's the same as some insignificant system.

A fighter having direct self-sustain means higher survivability of the archetype, which means that other archetypes now either need tools to address that or need enough power to counter that. The suggestions from the OP would've changed that requirement and, in turn, lead to a slightly different skill balance on other archetypes.

Mag you love saying that everyone else but you "doesn't see the big picture" or "doesn't look deep enough into the topic", but time after time you fail to consider all the implications and consequences of the things being discussed. Though I think you do see them, but choose to deny them because it doesn't work with the argumentation strategy that you keep picking.

Or, well, at least I hope you do, cause otherwise I'd just assume that you don't see the depth in other mechanics that you claim to see the depth in.

The metaness of the ability is just the symptom of the underlying design direction. It's surface-lvl stuff, that you've clung onto, because saying "meta doesn't matter cause it's not even A2 yet" is the only argument you could come up with. I've already asked you to get a better, more in-depth, argument, but you seem to have refused that advice. So you do you. I've already tried exiting this convo (which is why I liked your comment), but now I will fully.

Thank you for actually having a discussion and contributing value that hopefully the devs will see. You get it.
  • Options
    What is this obsession with warriors having to be "realistic". Like you have a freaking mage teleporting and you want the fighter to not be able to jump too much because it's not real.
    Lifesteal makes complete sense for a fighter

It's a fantasy game, not real life.