Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bunny hopping

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
Let's add a stamina cost to Jump and help keep the game prettier

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tab target makes this meaningless.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven loves bunny-hopping.
    I don't expect that to become limited.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited June 1
    feq4n60fbmen.gif
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    I did notice the bunny hopping, hopefully can be resolved if they add a dodge roll.
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    Jumping should cost stamina
  • Options
    SettiteSettite Member
    Why should jumping cost stamina if it won't provide any benefit due to tab targeting?
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I'm going to bunny hop all over you.
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    Simply make it so jumping slows you down a bit, so people won't bunny hop their whole way if they want to get somewhere faster.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If they make jumping require stamina I would cri. No thanks. I need my ADHD spam button.
    h2vohwwirjqd.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options
    BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Was just coming here to say this. Bunny hopping is annoying to see across your screen please make it costs a resource or add a slow.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    I guess next you'll want stamina use on tea-bagging too.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vyril wrote: »
    I guess next you'll want stamina use on tea-bagging too.

I mean... :D
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    If there is a stamina cost for jumping I hope it's more for the purpose of giving some 3D jumping puzzles an extra challenge or increasing their timing difficulty than to land lock characters more.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    whats wrong with bunny hopping?
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Depraved wrote: »

People are scared mobility will be used against them since they aren't good at fighting people that can move lol.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

People are scared mobility will be used against them since they aren't good at fighting people that can move lol.

yeah thought so but..whats wrong with bunny hopping?XD
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 1
    It looks absolutely moronic to many people, especially when there is no advantage to it in the game. It's a visual thing, it's not about skill or anything like that.

I've gotten so used to seeing it over the last 25 years it barely registers for me anymore. I didn't even realize it was in the stream until this thread.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Nerror wrote: »
    It looks absolutely moronic to many people, especially when there is no advantage to it in the game. It's a visual thing, it's not about skill or anything like that.

I've sort of gotten used to seeing it over the last 25 years or so, so it barely registers for me anymore. I didn't even realize it was in the stream until this thread.

yeah I know. some people complain it looks bad...but that's not enough reason to make jumping cost stamina...
  • Options
    Another “this game is not for everyone” thing.

Give them a fluffy tail and some ears to go with that hop. Rainbow colored of course.

Your better option is to mass focus tab target on hoppers. Then the behavior might change. Don’t think it will because players can play however they want.
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Does it look ridiculous? Absolutely, its immersion breaking even.

Will I do it anyway so I can have an edge over people that cant keep up with movement? Yup

Should it be removed? Also yup, but I will use it until its gone.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Taerrik wrote: »
    Does it look ridiculous? Absolutely, its immersion breaking even.

Will I do it anyway so I can have an edge over people that cant keep up with movement? Yup

Should it be removed? Also yup, but I will use it until its gone.

its not immersion breaking. what if I'm rping a character that likes to jump when shooting stuff...or a very acrobatic character.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited June 1
    lets remove the idea that its immersion breaking or theres an rp reason or some other crap. Do you really want to be stuck in a spot like a crevasse or maybe you fell into a cluster of rocks, and you have to wait for stamina to hopefully spam jump out?

Come on, this is silly. leave spam jumping alone.

Edit: This change would also most likely make climbing feel like crap assuming jumping and traversing terrain are one and the same. instead of just climbing the terrain you get to have "fun" standing there every few seconds waiting for stamina.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sathrago wrote: »
    lets remove the idea that its immersion breaking or theres an rp reason or some other crap. Do you really want to be stuck in a spot like a crevasse or maybe you fell into a cluster of rocks, and you have to wait for stamina to hopefully spam jump out?

Come on, this is silly. leave spam jumping alone.

Edit: This change would also most likely make climbing feel like crap assuming jumping and traversing terrain are one and the same. instead of just climbing the terrain you get to have "fun" standing there every few seconds waiting for stamina.

Jumping is fine, great, and expected in a rpg to be able to do.
    Spam jumping while swinging a heavy 2h sword is ridiculous. More so when you can, what looks to me from the video be able to change direction mid air while moving around, in combat while being hit.

I don't even care if there is just a graphically different movement displayed besides the hopping that gives the same movement bonus. this is entirely about looks and the hops are awful.

Remember they changed melee combat in A1 because of how most testers felt the lack of impact.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Bunny hopping

In Sea of Thieves - i call it MONKEY jumping !!

And G~OOOOOOOOOOOOOSH is it ugly. :D . :sweat_smile:

I can understand your wish to limit jumping around. The Idea that it drains Stamina bit by bit every single time is not wrong. The Question is how quick it should prevent People from jumping around.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Bunny hopping

In Sea of Thieves - i call it MONKEY jumping !!

And G~OOOOOOOOOOOOOSH is it ugly. :D . :sweat_smile:

I can understand your wish to limit jumping around. The Idea that it drains Stamina bit by bit every single time is not wrong. The Question is how quick it should prevent People from jumping around.

As soon as people see the slightest disadvantage they will stop this pointless spam.
    It's just a bad habit from irrelevant games to AoCs genre and combat design.
  • Options
    JwscootJwscoot Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This issue with the bunny hop is it does provide in game advantage. It makes it harder to single a player out in a crowd that you want to focus. It makes it easier to rotate your camera in game while keeping your same directional momentum. It makes your movements less predictable and in some cases disguises animations that would otherwise be telegraphed.

Anyone on here saying they jump spam for no reason is flat out lying. I have been a top level end game pvp player in 4 different MMO's over 20 years. Players do immersion breaking things when ever there is an advantage to it. This will always be the case.

Shut that bunny shiit down and drink the tears of anyone who complains. The game will be better for it.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Curious to see how this tests in A2. I agree with the spirit of @George_Black’s point though. Bunny hopping and diving animations are annoying in aimed combat.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2
    jumping has no impact on gameplay, its just a habit, its fun, I think its weird to try forcing people play the way you think its "pretty"
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Liniker wrote: »
    jumping has no impact on gameplay, its just a habit, its fun, I think its weird to try forcing people play the way you think its "pretty"

Not about being pretty at all. It's about attacks hitting your target. Same cheap dodges in FPS. I jump all the time in mmos, but I don't think incessantly jumping should prevent your 5s cast major class attack from doing any damage.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    All mobility should be in the game, people do not want anything close to Throne and liberty. Regardless if its impactful or not. Modern games control is important, and the less static looking the combat the better.