Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bunny hopping

124»

Comments

• Options
    SpifSpif Member
    ...you will be using stamina while jumping in circles around town while bored. That's how.

Anyone worried about non-combat jumping would not have to worry if there was a small stam cost to jumping. That still allows for plenty of jumping...possibly infinite out-of-combat jumping, depending on the way stam regen works.

Same with "How will I get out of a hole if it costs stam to jump?" people. You jump out of the hole and pay a little stam.
  • Options
    Noelzy wrote: »
    If jumping cost stamina how am i gonna aimlessly jump in circles around town when bored

If an object is even a roughly circular shape, it gets bunny-hopped around. That's just how it is!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    From what I've seen of and heard the devs say about the "action combat" system, you'll barely have to aim at your target to hit them. It's just a soft lock targeting system. Same as tab, but you don't have to click on anything. It's like the equivalent of VR games that let you target things with a general gaze, but it's your mouse movement instead. I don't think some bouncing around here and there will hurt anything. If anything, it will likely only make the person bunny hopping less capable of managing their skill use and movement in combat.
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    edited June 10
    Settite wrote: »
    Why should jumping cost stamina if it won't provide any benefit due to tab targeting?

This could both provide , benefit or not depending how the game is made.
    In Wow for example if you get stunned while mid air in a jump - you will still move the jump distance before you are grounded in place from the stun. And same is for slows. If you get slowed mid air - you will pass the jump distance with the same speed as before the slow, and the slow will take effect after you land on the ground.

Ofc if the stun mid air forcefully grounds you and stop any movement - then you will be right
  • Options
    edited June 10
    I love bunny hopping. I can't wait to annoy the army of anti-bunnies. <3

jkhmvd5hq6so.gif
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    It doesn’t look dumb, it looks like an mmo
    Still don’t see the point in taking away something fun that barely even effects gameplay but is just a fun habit
    This starting to sound like the Call of Duty complaints 😂
    Breaks immersion for RPG players.
    Gamers are not going to have as much of an issue with bunny-hopping because they aren't as fanatical about immersion.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    lp
    Sengarden wrote: »
    From what I've seen of and heard the devs say about the "action combat" system, you'll barely have to aim at your target to hit them. It's just a soft lock targeting system. Same as tab, but you don't have to click on anything. It's like the equivalent of VR games that let you target things with a general gaze, but it's your mouse movement instead. I don't think some bouncing around here and there will hurt anything. If anything, it will likely only make the person bunny hopping less capable of managing their skill use and movement in combat.

This sound like someone that has played games before lmao. 100% true.
  • Options
    EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shouldnt Jumping move you slower than running in game? And lower your ability to perform other actions/skills?
  • Options
    It's mostly just something gamers do when they get bored.
    adhdadhdadhd
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    adhdadhdadhd

True enough in pve and in safe zones.
    Its mostly used otherwise in such pvp cases.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Endowed wrote: »
    adhdadhdadhd

In tab target/soft lock?

• Options
    adhdadhdadhd

In tab target/soft lock?

Correct, in those cases it is not from boredom/adhd.
    You are answering a different question/premise ["does it help?"].
    I am directly speaking to what was posted.
  • Options
    How will we run the coolest jumping puzzles then? It will be a pain

Would be better let people jump as much as they want if they are well fed, but if they didnt even eat then they should slow down a little when they land
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    adhdadhdadhd

In tab target/soft lock?

You are answering a different question/premise ["does it help?"].

It's useless in AoC pvp.
  • Options
    You are answering a different question/premise.
    George_Black is asking how bunny hopping helps vs tab target/soft lock.
  • Options

Nope.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    What I posted was directed at your statement.

They are NOT doing it for adhd/boredom during pvp.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    Yeah... I know you were directly answering my post.
    And I was telling you that G_B was saying that it's useless in PvP - just in question form instead of as a statement.
    What's the motivation for bunny hopping in PvP with tab-target/soft lock?
  • Options
    SolmyrSolmyr Member
    And I was telling you that G_B was saying that it's useless in PvP - just in question form instead of as a statement.
    Looking closely at the node war stream, the bunny hopping Keenge was doing looks like it done to ensure he maintained line of sight on his targets when fighting around hills, rocks, and fences. We saw in the longbow showcase that arrows are blocked by obstacles, so spamming jump would make sure more of your shots hit.

• Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Solmyr wrote: »
    Looking closely at the node war stream, the bunny hopping Keenge was doing looks like it done to ensure he maintained line of sight on his targets when fighting around hills, rocks, and fences. We saw in the longbow showcase that arrows are blocked by obstacles, so spamming jump would make sure more of your shots hit.

Seems to me then, the solution is simple.

Leave unlimited jumping in the game for all the types that want to jump forever.
    Instead, apply a significant accuracy and damage penalty to attacks or spells launched while in the air. And apply a significant critical hit boost from enemies attacking the jumping player.

After all, How many archers in the world can land all their shots while sprinting full speed and jumping in random directions?
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    Solmyr wrote: »

Seems to me then, the solution is simple.

Leave unlimited jumping in the game for all the types that want to jump forever.
    Instead, apply a significant accuracy and damage penalty to attacks or spells launched while in the air. And apply a significant critical hit boost from enemies attacking the jumping player.

After all, How many archers in the world can land all their shots while sprinting full speed and jumping in random directions?

Just one! And he's freaking awesome, even without magic Essence.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    Just to preface this. I bunny hop unconsciously. Sorry if it bothers you. Just long runs are boring and its a button to press. Same as me killing every critter/mob on the way to my next spot.

But people saying it is some kind of skill advantage has me laughing so hard. When you jump in most mmos, you cannot change the direction you are moving, and you are moving at the same speed as running. So it is actually a disadvantage because you made your movement predictable. I don't get these people saying "just because you can't keep up with my movement!"; makes no sense.
  • Options
    And besides, its so much fun to do 20 spin rotations before landing.

Black-Ball-White-Background1a-720x.webp
    B)
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Let's add a stamina cost to Jump and help keep the game prettier

I respectfully and whole-heartedly disagree with your suggestion. Let people jump and if it hurts your eyes to see people jumping in a game, I am sorry.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    hleV wrote: »
    Simply make it so jumping slows you down a bit, so people won't bunny hop their whole way if they want to get somewhere faster.

What you are saying makes ZERO sense and in fact what you are suggesting is the cause of what you are wanting to prevent.

Letting people freely jump without any benefit or punishment to jumping let's the game be equal when it comes to jumping. Tab target turns jumping into merely.....a harmless jump.

Asking this team to implement some special rules to jumping (stamina costs, jump delays or debuffs, or whatever other silly things people come up with) are exactly what will cause players to find bugs that give them those benefits you fear.

Run speed debuff from jumping? Maybe a bunny hop will bypass this if you jump at precisely the right time. This is how it worked in other games.

Reduces your stamina to jump? So now jumping is a punishment because jumping prevents you from running for max distance so now when people jump while playing in a competitive guild, they get yelled at..........FOR JUMPING.

Let people jump freely. It's insane to me that this is even being discussed. I know the game is taking forever to be released but man.....did we run out of important topics to discuss?
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »
    Letting people freely jump without any benefit or punishment to jumping let's the game be equal when it comes to jumping. Tab target turns jumping into merely.....a harmless jump.

Except based on current implementation in the alpha (which will hopefully change!) Jumping actually gives a large benefit.

Currently, because of the path of projectiles may collide with terrain.

This means that, as a player fighting in a large encounter, you can position yourself in a way that gives you terrain protection from enemy ranged players. This should be rewarded, its good tactical play! In other game genre's its called 'cover'

But with the way jumping is implemented, the range player can just spam jump, and the projectiles will nicely go over that cover.

The jumping player logically ought to be allowed to do this, but it should have some cost or risk to make that benefit, to overcome the enemy cover.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Taerrik wrote: »
    But with the way jumping is implemented, the range player can just spam jump, and the projectiles will nicely go over that cover.
    This isn't anything to do with how jumping is implemented, it is to do with how projectiles are implemented.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Careful, the devs may allow jumping to recharge mana.

Your world may end.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Just hopping in to say hi. Time to hop out. Later!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Careful, the devs may allow jumping to recharge mana.

Your world may end.

That would be amazing.