Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Wishlist - Weapons

Comments

• Thadgar said:
    mycroft said:
    Ziltch said:
    If rifles or guns (magical in effect) are ever introduced I can vouch that people like me who like pure Fantasy settings will stop playing.
    No need for drama here.  All I am saying is that if a mage wants to hold their magic staff along the length of their arm and point it at the target when casting spells, then that should be allowed.  And if said mage customizes the staff with various features that other realities associate with rifles, then who are we to criticize?
    Yessssss, I love this idea. I find a lot of games don't actually use magical weapons to cast. Like world of Warcraft no casting is done with your weapon which I think is a waste. I love they idea where I could like have my staff stretched out and fire some spells! I personally want to be a wizard type like the Magicka game series with my hooded robes and then a staff and sword! Most mmo rpgs don't have one handed staves either.
    Great point, I hadn't actually thought about that. I don't usually play casters but it is strange isn't it. Kind of makes sense for the staff to be a conduit for the magic. Would be nice to have at least some animations that use the staff as the actual source of the fireball or lightning bolt.
  • Image result for staff casting fireball gif
    no just no

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Go check out Rittik designs at deviant art to many images to upload.  Think Ashes of Creation should hire this guy to make some weapons.  Truly great artist.

Wow just went and checked it out myself ;has Halloween Staff for sale will be  gone soon.
  • Go check out Rittik designs at deviant art to many images to upload.  Think Ashes of Creation should hire this guy to make some weapons.  Truly great artist.

Wow just went and checked it out myself ;has Halloween Staff for sale will be  gone soon.
    Some nice stuff there,  but has more of a WoW feel to me. I am hoping,  and it looks this way from the few screens so far,  that Ashes will have a more grounded/realistic style. 

I hope there are some glowy/crystal weapons, but I hope they are the exception,  not the norm. It would help them stand out as something special. 
  • Go check out Rittik designs at deviant art to many images to upload.  Think Ashes of Creation should hire this guy to make some weapons.  Truly great artist.

Those weapons give me Kingdom Hearts vibes. I think they look good, but, they wouldn't really fit Ashes.
    edited October 2017
    Here's a list of weapons I would like to see ingame
    - 1-Hand crossbows
    - 2-Hand crossbows
    - Longbows
    - 1-Handed swords
    - 2-Handed swords
    - Polearms
    - Chakram (Kunoichi's awakening weapon in BDO)
    - Maces
    - Staffs
    - Daggers
    - Tomes
    - Fist Weapons
    - Wands
    - Katanas
    - Whips
    - Shields
    - Scythes

And then for the Bard weapons
    - War Drums (For Bard/Tank)
    - Flutes
    - Lutes
    - Violins
    - Fans
    - Trumpets
  • I already have my weapons

• I would like swords to have a base shape and size, and then make that style of sword from various metals that affect the performance, and enchantability of the sword. To be able to make and wield two swords that buff not just edged melee dps, but also buff magic dps.
  • In responsive to Those weapons give me Kingdom Hearts vibes. I think they look good, but, they wouldn't really fit Ashes of Creation.And that they look like WOW 

Yes that is true they have a very bright tone that clashes with Ashes of Creation style.  But most of those weapons are already sold and new ones would have to be created. So it would be really easy to adjust the artist style a little bit to fit ashes of creation.   

Featured artist Rittik-Designs at Deviant Art website
  • Wands

Fist Weapons
  • I would like swords to have a base shape and size, and then make that style of sword from various metals that affect the performance, and enchantability of the sword. To be able to make and wield two swords that buff not just edged melee dps, but also buff magic dps.
    I agree with this, I believe higher quality materials should make stronger weapons as a whole.

In responsive to Those weapons give me Kingdom Hearts vibes. I think they look good, but, they wouldn't really fit Ashes of Creation.And that they look like WOW 

Yes that is true they have a very bright tone that clashes with Ashes of Creation style.  But most of those weapons are already sold and new ones would have to be created. So it would be really easy to adjust the artist style a little bit to fit ashes of creation.   

Featured artist Rittik-Designs at Deviant Art website
    It's a possibility.
    edited October 2017
    One of the items that I would like to see in game is The Heretic Crusher Hammer and the rest of the Heretic Set: bow axe arrows and  sword.  

Samouel@DeviantArt website makes those weapons and that guys is extremely good. Would like to see him do a Heretic Shield. Artist says not to copy his work or would post image. I think these weapons are still available for sale but could be mistaken.
  • One of the items tha I would like to see in game is The Heretic Crusher Hammer and the rest of the Heretic Set: bow axe arrows and  sword.  

Samouel@DeviantArt website makes those weapons and that guys is extremely good. Would like to see him do a Heretic Shield. Artist says not to copy his work or would post image. I think these weapons are still available for sale but could be mistaken.

• @Consultant Nice to look at but the first time that hammer impacts with a skull,  half of those little fiddly bits will break off :)

• I personally find weapons like these more appealing, minus a few. They're a good balance between both fantasy and reality.
  • Well orb was confirmed as a weapon choice today on the live stream, there was some in development art shown during the walk around. Some interesting choices with what is classified as a weapon books, orbs and who knows what is yet to come.
    I think it was said that the orc type race would have an oriental type feel to them so imagine the weapons will have that style, katana etc.   
  • It was excellent to see those orbs. The offhands have always been some of the most fun and flavourful items. 

It would look pretty sweet if they weren't just offhands but you could dual wield these items as a caster.

Dual wielding skull artifacts anyone? 

• Vortigern said:

I personally find weapons like these more appealing, minus a few. They're a good balance between both fantasy and reality.
    Left to right, they started out really nice but ended up a little cliched high fantasy. I hope the art style is very much like 1-6 and a little like 7 & 9. Always room for a little silliness and impracticality.
  • Vortigern said:

I personally find weapons like these more appealing, minus a few. They're a good balance between both fantasy and reality.
    Left to right, they started out really nice but ended up a little cliched high fantasy. I hope the art style is very much like 1-6 and a little like 7 & 9. Always room for a little silliness and impracticality.
    I know what you mean, the last two are whatever. I must admit I'd think it was sick as fuck to have the 3rd from the right. The middle, fat bladed "gladius" styled sword is too Final Fantasy for me. But overall I agree, 1-6 are the cream of the crop.
  • Vortigern said:

I might be a bit boring but i really like the first sword.  Nice and clean and looking very smart. I've always preferred the European longsword over most other historical designs though. 

Still give me a good hammer over a sword anyday.
  • I don't get this argument of practicality. Smiths are artists and if they have "magical" materials that allow them to be more creative with weapon design i don't know why they wouldn't use it. Should all gear be boring and plane in the name of practicality?
  • I don't get this argument of practicality. Smiths are artists and if they have "magical" materials that allow them to be more creative with weapon design i don't know why they wouldn't use it. Should all gear be boring and plane in the name of practicality?
    Not at all, I just don't want overly childish or fantasy-esque weapons in the game. I don't think it would fit with the games style having a weapon that looks too "Korean MMO" inspired. The weapons I linked are about as far towards fantasy as I would like them to go.

An example of what I wouldn't want to see...

• OK, sad I didn't see anyone mention whips?? What I don't want to see is being able to use any weapon without penalty. I also would like options per class. 

I can't stress this enough, no drama mama, but I don't want to see cosmetic skins for weapons like spoons or candy canes, etc. However, not to spoil fun, please add a check box for my visibility of skins so I don't have to see them? 

I am also opposed to the hyper eastern, oversized, neon pixel vomiting titan weapons that tend to show up near end game. 

Also note, radically different weapons require animations, collision tests, etc and I imagine eat up coder time. So, yeah, get busy devs :P
  • Whips would be great to have, if possible something like a whip sword like in Dark Souls 1 would be amazing to see. 
    For me, I just personally like a slimmer, more compact, more realistic feel to the weapons. I don't advocate that for everyone, just my preference. I would like to see some hammers like this:

Fancy that up a little:

And then some:

I even like the slightly larger heads for some:

What I don't like are the oversized and unrealistic stuff, that I consider garish and yuck. I get we are in a fantasy realm but still, not for me:

I also don't want absolutely none of that in the game. A few is fine. My problem stems from the way itemisation usually goes. Simple designs for low levels that get increasingly large and garish as the power of the weapons increase to the point you are using something idiotically impractical and usually horrifyingly ugly. 

I'm happy with all designs being in a game, I just wish we would have choice so we can tailor our look without compromising power.
    edited November 2017
    Over sized weapons are awesome do not know why devs put tiny little hammers or swords.I mean they make good hammers (I play pally) but in game you can hardly see them. Although that hammer girl from Raid movie is pretty OP

Google 123rf then search shields medieval . This art is actually for sale and so are a lot of templates for shields.  Simple weapon design is still in style.  Really number of images are to many to load plus copy right protected.  
  • Here is a fun little video about fantasy sword practicality: Fantasy Swords - Skallagrim.
  • I'm glad that weapons won't be class restricted since my favorites classes tend to be hybrids.  I love a good battlemage.  The image of a big warrior in med\heavy armor hurling fireballs and lightning bolts from a staff at ranged enemies while using the glowing staff quarterstaff style on those close up just makes me smile.  And if he can switch it up to a sword\mace and shield when things get intense so much the better.

Do we know if we'll be able to equip multiple sets of weapons and swap them in combat?  Cause that would be good.