Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Primary Class Poll!

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
New one since a lot of new players are coming in!

https://www.strawpoll.me/20648367

Comments

• I am new to following this game and I am excited there is a chance to play a support class again. Bard it is!
  • For me it will heavily depend on how much the augmentations affect the skills/what the augmentation options are.

I want to play support to some degree, but the augmentations will decide whether I play Summoner/Bard or Bard/Summoner or Bard/Cleric.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    First character will be a mage with a subclass most likely of cleric for some self heals
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mordious wrote: »
    I am new to following this game and I am excited there is a chance to play a support class again. Bard it is!

Yea! Support is an often neglected role in MMOs. There is a big difference between a healer and support in my opinion.
    darthaden wrote: »
    First character will be a mage with a subclass most likely of cleric for some self heals

I was thinking along the same lines! Either Mage cleric or cleric mage!
    For me it will heavily depend on how much the augmentations affect the skills/what the augmentation options are.

I want to play support to some degree, but the augmentations will decide whether I play Summoner/Bard or Bard/Summoner or Bard/Cleric.

Support seems really great! Most MMOs dont offer that!
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    How the heck is Mage/Bard a sorcerer? A Sorcerer is usually a bloodline wizard with natrual ability and larger amount of a more limited selection of spells. They don't sing dance and play suff.
    Oh and planning on Mage/Mage
  • Im going to be a beastmaster, a summoner/ranger.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to play some kind of tanky melee dps but not sure how. I'll probably use heavy or medium armor with a two-hander. I'm thinking Fighter will probably be one of my classes. I could see me fighter primary with almost any secondary but also wonder how fighter affects different classes as a secondary.
  • FathymFathym Member
    Definitely Bard. Either Bard/Mage (Magician) or Bard/Rogue(Trickster). Utility FTW
  • SamsonSamson Member
    I wouldn't mind choosing a true tank if tanking in this game actually matters. I enjoy just being a big boy... absorbing damage.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Most likely warmage :D Full DPS glass cannon.
    I hope your poll is wrong 6% tanks, 11% healers and 83% DPS would be a grouping nightmare
  • FathymFathym Member
    Aardvark wrote: »
    I hope your poll is wrong 6% tanks, 11% healers and 83% DPS would be a grouping nightmare

There's a reason why i made my Forum post about off rolling lol.
  • Summoner has me most interested because of the necromancer subtype...
    But until I see more gameplay to do with summons and how having them affect your character it's hard to be sure, may also be leaning towards a mage, or even a fighter.

Big magic and big smashies are generally good in all games.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So many freaking Summoners. Where are my fellow rogues at!?
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
    How the heck is Mage/Bard a sorcerer? A Sorcerer is usually a bloodline wizard with natrual ability and larger amount of a more limited selection of spells. They don't sing dance and play suff.
    Oh and planning on Mage/Mage

Yea, I feel like some of these names are not that logical/stressed. They could definatly need to redo some names.

If you knew where they were, they would be bad rogues ;)

Well, I dont think you need to be a "tank" class to tank.

A fighter/tank, rogue/tank, Cleric/tank summoner/tank will probably also be able to tank
  • GreatThodricGreatThodric Member
    edited July 2020
    Marzzo wrote: »

That's a freakishly good distribution all things considered! That makes me even more hyped.
  • FathymFathym Member

A fighter/tank, rogue/tank, Cleric/tank summoner/tank will probably also be able to tank

I really hope this is the case. And i hope, like you said earlier, that most classes will be able to throw on a sword/shield pre 25 to pseudo tank. Other wise its going to be so irritating getting groups together. We'll have to wait and see how its going to work once the alpha is released.
    Healawin wrote: »

I really hope this is the case. And i hope, like you said earlier, that most classes will be able to throw on a sword/shield pre 25 to pseudo tank. Other wise its going to be so irritating getting groups together. We'll have to wait and see how its going to work once the alpha is released.

I would think a main tank would be tank/something and if you just want to sorta tank you could maybe get by with something/tank
  • FathymFathym Member
    edited July 2020

I would think a main tank would be tank/something and if you just want to sorta tank you could maybe get by with something/tank

Ya and thats fine post 25. Im just alot more worried about pre 25 when you dont have a secondary. Like can a fighter put on a sword and shield to hold aggro or will his lack of taunt make it make it nearly impossible to do?

Ya and thats fine post 25. Im just alot more worried about pre 25 when you dont have a secondary. Like can a fighter put on a sword and shield to hold aggro or will his lack of taunt make it make it nearly impossible to do?

In most MMOs at low levels CC is your tank
  • BobbyBickBobbyBick Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Going with whatever gets closest to a 2handed Berserker themed class, which I assume is going to be Fighter base.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

If you knew where they were, they would be bad rogues ;)

You aren't wrong.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

With a standard party of 8 it might not be as bad as you think. 1 tank, 1 melee tanky dps to offtank, 1-2 healers depending on the amount of support, 1-2 support depending on how many healers, 3 pure dps is how I'd see a standard party looking.
    I just remembered something Steven said a while back ago about parties. The reason a party is 8 people is so that each class has a spot. If the numbers on survey hold true as does his intentions the numbers are just about perfect as almost every class is within a few percentage points of one another
  • What do you guys think the best representation of a Shadow Knight or Death Knight would be in AoC?
    A sort of dark knight, with spooky powers.
  • FathymFathym Member
    darthaden wrote: »
    I just remembered something Steven said a while back ago about parties. The reason a party is 8 people is so that each class has a spot. If the numbers on survey hold true as does his intentions the numbers are just about perfect as almost every class is within a few percentage points of one another

It is only perfect if every class is equally important to the group. The problem arise when Tanks and Healers are significantly more important than the other classes. If its possible to do content with ,say, 1 tank, 6 mages and a healer or literally any combination of dps, we'll be in for a hell of a lot of supply and demand problems for tanks and healers.