Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited February 2021
    Some people like tank, some people like guardian or whatever. It doesn't matter, it's just an archetype name. They're supposed to be very general and abstract. Just as was mentioned in the other threads on this subject, you can call yourself with your actual class name which is derived from your primary and secondary archetype. If you want to be called a guardian, then choose tank/tank.
  • Options
    Bulwark sounds good too. I support Steve in this game proyect but I really can't understand him in this desicion.

Tank doesn't sounds good for a fantasy class.
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    edited February 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    Tank sounds fine for a fantasy game.
    For a class?

Nah, it doesn't
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, it does.
  • Options
    Sholer wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    Tank sounds fine for a fantasy game.

Nah, it doesn't

I also think it sounds fine for a fantasy game.
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Some people like tank, some people like guardian or whatever. It doesn't matter, it's just an archetype name. They're supposed to be very general and abstract. Just as was mentioned in the other threads on this subject, you can call yourself with your actual class name which is derived from your primary and secondary archetype. If you want to be called a guardian, then choose tank/tank.

And just as mentioned in other threads, you only pick second archetype at level 25, ergo you play as just Tank till then.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sholer is a horrible name, you need to change it.

It's just not as good as something like Karthos, or even Kartholer

This is an issue that needs to be dealt with immediately..
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Maciej wrote: »
    bigepeen wrote: »

And just as mentioned in other threads, you only pick second archetype at level 25, ergo you play as just Tank till then.

But since leveling gets exponentially slower as you get higher, and since the game will be played 90% at the level cap (as per literally every other MMO ever), that first 25 levels will make up 2 or 3 percent of your play time.

Tank as a class name is perfect fine, if we are given an in game reason as to where the name came from. This need be nothing more than someone thousands of years earlier looking at someone in full plate armor and commenting that they look like a metal water tank, and that name just sticking.
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »

lol Why are you so narcissistic and toxic?

haha.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

haha.

I just reversed your argument and showed you how it is from the other side.

So you're actually making a judgment on yourself and your post.

Sounds like you have some thinking to do.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

haha.

I just reversed your argument and showed you how it is from the other side.

So you're actually making a judgment on yourself and your post.

Sounds like you have some thinking to do.

No you not, because I have a point and it is tank is not a good name for a fantasy class.

You are just talking about likes about names, and this thread is not just about "likes about names" is about tank is a name for a rol, not a fantasy class.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    Tank as a class name is perfect fine, if we are given an in game reason as to where the name came from. This need be nothing more than someone thousands of years earlier looking at someone in full plate armor and commenting that they look like a metal water tank, and that name just sticking.

Are you still arguing that the German localization should use Behälter instead of Panzer?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Are you still arguing that the German localization should use Behälter instead of Panzer?

I'd prefer the German localization to use 'King Tiger' :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    xydrassialxydrassial Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hmm maybe change it to Meat Shield ?
  • Options
    Swipar wrote: »
    Hmm maybe change it to Meat Shield ?

Well if we do that we are going to be in the same problem haha.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    The only acceptable name would be Masochist ;D

But really, name's fine.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    I wish "not this shit again" were a flag option on the forums
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

I never argued that point either way. That is something a native German speaker should consider, not me.
  • Options

I never argued that point either way. That is something a native German speaker should consider, not me.

Yes you did:
    With this point, you are still making the assumption that the class is named after the vehicle, which is exactly what I am saying is not an assumption that should be made.

This point is only valid if the localized version of the tank class in this game uses the word from the associated language for the vehicle.

I somehow doubt they will do that though. It is far more likely they will either not translate it at all, or will use the language appropriate word for the liquid storage vessel.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Howdy folks, just wanted to direct everyone's attentions to past threads that discuss this same topic, such as :
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45621/the-problem-with-having-tank-as-a-class-name/p1

and:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/224576#Comment_224576

I understand that this is a passionate subject for many people, but there are plenty of threads about this exact subject already, some with posts from less than a month ago. I don't think creating multiple threads on the same topic will be productive for discussion purposes.
  • Options
    FFS. The fact you've put "Yes, again" shows that you know you're just trolling, now.

This one's over. You've lost.

Leave it be.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    FFS. The fact you've put "Yes, again" shows that you know you're just trolling, now.

Leave it be.

wait what? Why would I be trolling?
  • Options

Leave it be.

Because you could have continued the other threads on this topic instead of starting your own.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Leave it be.

Because you could have continued the other threads on this topic instead of starting your own.

Well that's true but I didn't start this new thread for trolling, just did it because I thought is bad reviving old posts.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Every thread like this makes me like the name tank more and more.
    At this point I would be sad to see it changed.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

You should make a Tank and call him "Tank". Then he'll always be a Tank!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

You should make a Tank and call him "Tank". Then he'll always be a Tank!

Tanky McTank-Face and his 2h shield that has TANK painted on the front of it.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Tank is a modern word. And I do agree that it is probably not the best one that could have been picked to represent the back bone of most raiding guilds. It is more like slang to be honest.

Many of the most obvious names for the class are already taken. But it could be something like, Shield bearer, Protector, Bulwark as others have mentioned, Defender. Just to name a few.

• Options
    Frostshot wrote: »
    Tank is a modern word. And I do agree that it is probably not the best one that could have been picked to represent the back bone of most raiding guilds. It is more like slang to be honest.

Many of the most obvious names for the class are already taken. But it could be something like, Shield bearer, Protector, Bulwark as others have mentioned, Defender. Just to name a few.

cant use shield bearer not all tanks are sword and board tanks. Protector isn't a broad enough description because many tanks will be about sole survival rather than reducing damage to party members. Bulwark sounds straight up weirder than any other suggestion I have ever heard for the Tank name. It's clunky and it does not fit the role of a general term you would use for tanks in any form of speech. Be it game terms or otherwise.

The fundamental issue is that the classes in the game are built out of combining a primary role and secondary role, evolving into a unique class that focuses on the primary role but without the restrictions of it already being apart of a singular "class". This is a bit hard to explain well so forgive me if it is confusing. Basically because these archetypes are used to combine into a class, there is no other really good way to name the Tank archetype without it sounding off or forced.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Agreed.
    I think breaking tradition is best part of the name.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.