Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Criminals and how to deal with them, should there be a long term penalty

Comments

• Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    b3a088c1f19e8711e68085cd36040e45.gif
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Just a reminder to anyone taking these cringey wannabe pirates semi-seriously:

They advertise on their recruitment thread that they'll be 600 to 800 members who will solely focus on PvP and being corrupted players.

They also insist they will reach those numbers by launch time, when at any time on their discord the most active users they currently have is around 60.

Meanwhile EU guilds (haven't checked NA) like Hand of Unity, Crownless Order, Codex etc. already have around 700 members with some 200 active at any time (Codex has around 1870 member with 400 active at any time)

So their dreams and aspirations will likely get trampled by other similar guilds in NA.

Honestly would enjoy watching some sort of video series of people going out of their way to hunt them down till they quit the game. For the lolz
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asgerr wrote: »

They advertise on their recruitment thread that they'll be 600 to 800 members who will solely focus on PvP and being corrupted players.

They also insist they will reach those numbers by launch time, when at any time on their discord the most active users they currently have is around 60.

Meanwhile EU guilds (haven't checked NA) like Hand of Unity, Crownless Order, Codex etc. already have around 700 members with some 200 active at any time (Codex has around 1870 member with 400 active at any time)

So their dreams and aspirations will likely get trampled by other similar guilds in NA.

Honestly would enjoy watching some sort of video series of people going out of their way to hunt them down till they quit the game. For the lolz

Time for another guild fair :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Recluse74Recluse74 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hmmm... definitely need popcorn.
  • Options

• Options
    Just a reminder to anyone taking these cringey wannabe pirates semi-seriously: They advertise on their recruitment thread that they'll be 600 to 800 members who will solely focus on PvP and being corrupted players. They also insist they will reach those numbers by launch time, when at any time on their discord the most active users they currently have is around 60. Meanwhile EU guilds (haven't checked NA) like Hand of Unity, Crownless Order, Codex etc. already have around 700 members with some 200 active at any time (Codex has around 1870 member with 400 active at any time) So their dreams and aspirations will likely get trampled by other similar guilds in NA. Honestly would enjoy watching some sort of video series of people going out of their way to hunt them down till they quit the game. For the lolz
    55cI.gif
  • Options
    BuffyBuffy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    PokeRaptor wrote: »
    Just a reminder to anyone taking these cringey wannabe pirates semi-seriously: They advertise on their recruitment thread that they'll be 600 to 800 members who will solely focus on PvP and being corrupted players. They also insist they will reach those numbers by launch time, when at any time on their discord the most active users they currently have is around 60. Meanwhile EU guilds (haven't checked NA) like Hand of Unity, Crownless Order, Codex etc. already have around 700 members with some 200 active at any time (Codex has around 1870 member with 400 active at any time) So their dreams and aspirations will likely get trampled by other similar guilds in NA. Honestly would enjoy watching some sort of video series of people going out of their way to hunt them down till they quit the game. For the lolz
    55cI.gif

giphy.gif
    Black Sails Member!

Former WoW Player | 30Y | Female | PvP/Dungeon/Raid
  • Options
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    Hmmm... definitely need popcorn.

56M3.gif

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Roelath wrote: »
    That's a bit of problem if the players in question are in control of a node and intend to be "Evil" in their gameplay/roleplay. If a node is set to allow criminal activity NPC guards shouldn't attack people with corruption. Laws for inside the node/camp but, a fugitive entering a node is permitted without being attacked.
    Doesn't sound like a problem.
    Corruption is different than Evil.
    I don't know what you consider criminal activity or whether Ashes even allows for criminal activity - you can't pickpocket and you can't "steal". You can grab dropped resources, but that's not considered to be criminal.
    Killing a non-combatant is practically worse than being a criminal - that is being a monster.

Ashes doesn't really have Good and Evil.
    Ashes has Corrupt and Non-Corrupt. Corrupt players can't effectively control a node.
    Ashes also has Light and Dark. But, I don't know that Dark = Evil. I think Dark player characters can still control nodes.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh, there will be scammers and the such, so perhaps we can call them 'evil'. You know, people who want to borrow a newbie's weapon to 'try it out' and then steal it, and other type of loser behavior. But I know that isn't what the OP was referring to as Evil.
  • Options
    khitomerkhitomer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There should be a caveat in place where if you stay at max corruption long enough without being killed despite being in combat, it resets your corruption to zero or near zero.

This as a way to reward those few exceptional pvp players who manage to somehow survive being hunted and killed by bounty hunters, and can avoid losing their gear.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Oh, there will be scammers and the such, so perhaps we can call them 'evil'. You know, people who want to borrow a newbie's weapon to 'try it out' and then steal it, and other type of loser behavior. But I know that isn't what the OP was referring to as Evil.
    I mean that's really only possible with a newbie to MMORPGs....really a newbie to multiplayer games.

Reminds me of when I was playing Vanilla EQ with my GF. I was off doing some higher level content when I heard my GF calling for help. She had left the safe area where I told her to hunt and died.
    As I ran to get to her corpse, she said, "Oh! Never mind. Some nice person asked me to give him rights to loot my corpse so he can give me his stuff."
    "What NICE PERSON??!!!"
    "I don't know. He was just nearby and offered to help me."
    "That NICE PERSON could steal all your stuff!!!"
    "Oh, no. Who would do such a thing? Nobody would really do that would they?"
    :/

LMAO
  • Options
    khitomer wrote: »
    There should be a caveat in place where if you stay at max corruption long enough without being killed despite being in combat, it resets your corruption to zero or near zero.

This as a way to reward those few exceptional pvp players who manage to somehow survive being hunted and killed by bounty hunters, and can avoid losing their gear.
    Well, it wouldn't be a simple timer. And it definitely would not be a reset to zero or near zero.
    Unlikely to happen, though, since the devs are not rewarding being Corrupted.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think that there is a 'max corruption,' it keeps adding up.

If they have high corruption then they lose their fighting abilities. Personally, I like that. High corruption ought to be punished, not rewarded as Mr. @khitomer suggests.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I didnt suggest rewarding high corruption.

I suggested resetting it if the player somehow (incredibly) manages to survive multiple attempts to kill them while they have high corruption.

Hence it would likely happen only rarely and reward skill more than anything.

Big difference.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    1484220375-mib.gif?crop=0.7266666666666667xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*

• Options

I suggested resetting it if the player somehow (incredibly) manages to survive multiple attempts to kill them while they have high corruption.

Big difference.
    Corruption won't be rewarded at all.
  • Options

Big difference.

The designers of the game want pvpers to go and use the pvp systems that reward them for participation. Corruption is a punishment for engaging in non-consensual pvp, the thing they do not want promote. Attacking other players in the open world is allowed, but if you kill someone that does not fight back then that is not pvp, that is slaughter and they do not want you doing that without repercussion.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The condition in itself will make some who enjoy and appreciate that kind of content (griefing, etc) to try to push the limits of the restriction as a form of challenge.

This is the whole reason why there will be guilds of bounty hunters policing the rule.

Anyone who can gain high corruption, be hunted, and survive, will be considered a god among men.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    A player having friends attack them and lose is not incredible.

That is all that would be needed to reset your corruption to zero under your proposal here.

So, that's a hard no.
  • Options
    Kinda like trying to police win trading.

There will always be bounty hunters who are not your friends gunning for you if you have corruption.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Kinda like trying to police win trading.

There will always be bounty hunters who are not your friends gunning for you if you have corruption.
    Yeah, so lets just design a game with all these exploits in it!

Edit to add, since you guys don't seem to know anything: cheating in an instanced PvP setting is nothing. No one cares, all that is at stake are the rewards from that instanced PvP setting.

Open world games are not like this. There is far more to be gained, and so far more of a reason to do this kind of bullshit, meaning far more of a reason to design it out of the game.

Equating instanced PvP exploiting to open world anything just shows the lack of understanding you guys have.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Yawn.. you puritans are so tiresome.

I was just thinking of adding an extra dimension to a mechanic which currently only has a one way reward, whereas if the corrupted player is of exceptional skill, they could also have an avenue of reward in that their gear doesnt get yoinked as a result of dying while corrupted.

Yes, its in the game this way for a reason, and youre always going to get some players who will get corruption and will be hunted, so why not make it interesting and fun for both parties.

You dont have to turn it into some kind of self-aggrandizing posturing narrative.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    Yes, its in the game this way for a reason, and youre always going to get some players who will get corruption and will be hunted, so why not make it interesting and fun for both parties.

If you do not find the current mechanics around corruption interesting, why are you insisting on gaining corruption?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Im not insisting on anything.

Im saying corruption is part of the game, for a reason, and there will be players who get corruption and players who will want to seek out and kill them.

Thats part of the game, so the being a corrupted player side of the equation should also have some extra test of skill as part of risk versus reward.

Think of it as having the possibility, however remote, of getting away with it by the skin of your teeth.

99/100 times you wont, but that one time that you do could be a highlight of your time played.

Maybe the corruption could begin to go down after an accumulated total of x combat time with same level or higher players.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    99/100 times you wont, but that one time that you do could be a highlight of your time played.
    Except that 99/100 people will cheese the mechanic to remove corruption.

Even *if* a mechanic was desired to perform the function you are suggesting, the mechanic you have suggested is not robust enough to even be considered.
  • Options
    Again, you cant control having bounty hunters come after you who are not in on some exploit.

And thats your opinion and thats fine.

You know what they say about opinions...
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    You know what they say about opinions...

I know what they say about people that think all peoples opinions are equal, does that count?

And while you can't control bounty hunters, they are going to be fairly few and far between,, so you also can't rely on them to solve this issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    I know what they say about people that think all peoples opinions are equal, does that count?

You can feel superior about it all you like... to me you just look like a five year old whos afraid of having a promised toy taken away from them.

So far the player base response to the bounty hunting rp has been widely enthusiastic.

There are whole guilds who will happily fill the role of bounty hunters/mercenaries.

If there is absolutely zero value in gaining corruption and taking up the challenge to survive being hunted, these players will have no one to hunt.
    6EXmJvC.gif
  • Options
    So far the player base response to the bounty hunting rp has been widely enthusiastic.
    Yes, but these people won't be flagged as bounty hunters all the time.