Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regarding the Hammer Ability

Comments

• Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    I actually do agree, it is possibly my least favorite visual effect, any character with a 2 handed axe/hammer, this animation could look really good, but when using a great sword its definitely offputting.

It’s not my least favorite visual effect. I think it is pretty cool. But just on greatsword and daggers, or any other poking and slashing weapon.. just please make it match the respected weapon types. If I saw this in the showcase and they were playing a paladin or using a crushing weapon .. it would make sense.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    That skill needs more thought put into it.
    I dont like it for Fighters. It doesnt suit them.

It could suite a sub class like fight/cleric, fighter/summoner, but definitely not the base kit thats for sure.

I think it best fighter cleric (High sword) although class name would make more sense being a sword instead of hammer, Fighter/mage could be good to or maybe summoner although i would like to see fighter summoner summon physical weapons to use (kinda like irelia from league)

Actually does make sense on the sub classes you mentioned. If it were some fighter aligned with cleric, summoner, mage, or paladin (anything holy and could conjure things) then yes, I’m on board and think that is super cool. If I’m playing base fighter or a raging berserk warrior.. I don’t want to conjure a weapon out of thin air or do any fancy magical attack. I want to rely on pure raw strength and bloodlust. You can still make cool animations out of that. Blood slashing effects, eruptions, ground slams, craters, etc.
  • Options
    Tenaciel wrote: »
    I'm happy I'm not alone with this. I think the spell, and its animation is good, maybe they can use it somewhere else (summoner, or mage augmentation?!).

This could make sense.. and yeah glad I’m not alone too. Didn’t think this was being touched on till I visited the fourms.
  • Options
    Should the Skill remain in the Fighter's toolset, I would at least hope that they had some sort of reticle to better gauge the distance, cause even when it was first revealed, it seems like you miss it more than you land it.
    Some visual feedback on where the hammer is going to drop would help in deciding whether to cancel the cast or not.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    There is literally nothing wrong with it being a hammer, if they tie it to weapons that is fine also 10* the work to do this for every weapon type.

Weapons not being linked to class is one of the best things this mmorpg is doing. It is simply the fighters magic type skill that most likely is going to be augmented to changed effects.

if it was a fighter with a mage subclass or something, then yeah..magic hammer. or a paladin. but it looks weird right now...like it doesn't fit.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2022
    Magic shouldn't be present everywhere and for all because that makes magic way cooler when its used. A lot of melee mains dont want magic stuff in melee at least make it depend on secondary class. Want magic? go caster. Agree with people here the hammer skill should be a cleric skill. Would make sense if the fighter was a cleric secondary though.
    Izil.png
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited December 2022
    Actually part of why i dislike the animation for the swing so much is the unnatural affect it is. I realized this morning exactly what is so off putting about it.

It looks like when Mario swings his hammer, but anyone who has chopped wood or sank rebar into the ground knows that to swing a heavy hammer/axe overhead with great force you lug the item behind you and swing it in 1 smooth motion, to swing the hammer backwards then forwards would result in the most inaccurate and weak swing possible.

https://youtu.be/O5CJT-kyobY

^ random dude chopping wood

I know this is high fantasy, but it is grounded in reality to some degree, If you could change the hammer ability from backwards->forwards to instead be more similar to how someone would really swing with force, perhaps starting from an angle behind the character to rotating directly behind the character before finishing its arc, gaining speed as the swing progresses.

@Vaknar
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Again - it is not a physical swing. Rather it is a purely magical animation that deals damage.
    There are no muscles involved with that swing. And, really, no physics.
    Hammer Strike is a supernatural, metaphysical attack.
  • Options
    Krumdark wrote: »
    Agreed, most people just don't like hammer weapons so they are throwing their dislike to the skill.

It’s not a dislike with the skill, it’s a dislike with the animation making sense when dual wielding daggers and greatsword. It looks unnatural. My post says that the hammer animation itself is cool and it should stay, but for paladin like classes and/or crushing weapons. This is not some hate brigade on the skill itself.
    What? Any class can use any physical weapon. Who said Fighters only use Greatswords and Daggers?
    Just because they have used Fighter to demo Dual-Wielded Daggers does not mean that's a primary weapon for Fighter.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Again - it is not a physical swing. Rather it is a purely magical animation that deals damage.

Ok sure but every aspect of the game is based in reality, the hammer strike looks awkward because it doesn't make sense. Just like if the animation was replaced by a bow swinging down and wacking someone, it's not something that looks good regardless of the idea its based in reality.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2022
    Agreed, most people just don't like hammer weapons so they are throwing their dislike to the skill.

It’s not a dislike with the skill, it’s a dislike with the animation making sense when dual wielding daggers and greatsword. It looks unnatural. My post says that the hammer animation itself is cool and it should stay, but for paladin like classes and/or crushing weapons. This is not some hate brigade on the skill itself.

Hammer has nothing to do with paladin. Paladins use all sorts of weapons just like a fighter... 7eww4zx0vf0s.png
  • Options
    Of all the important Alpha-2 items that are on Intrepid’s plate for right now, are combat animations really a topic that forum-goers should be getting lost in the weeds on?

Applause for the attention to details … but Intrepid has always maintained that combat animations are a work-in-progress.
  • Options
    Of all the important Alpha-2 items that are on Intrepid’s plate for right now, are combat animations really a topic that forum-goers should be getting lost in the weeds on?

Applause for the attention to details … but Intrepid has always maintained that combat animations are a work-in-progress.

Sure they aren't important, but I also find this particular animation to always draw my eye when cast, many of the others feel like they are along the right track already, but every time I have seen this hammer animation its felt off. Not something they need to fix tomorrow, but something that id certainly prefer to change before launch. They can leave it in notes if they want.
  • Options
    ZyvanZyvan Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Just chiming in to agree with the sentiment that the ability looks off for a Fighter, or Weapon Master (Fighter/Fighter) in my opinion.

If I chose Fighter/Fighter as my class choice, I'd expect the appearance of my abilities to be more physical in nature rather than magical, which is how the hammer ability comes off to me. It looks more befitting of an ability used by a Fighter with Cleric augments rather than a Fighter base ability or Fighter with Fighter augments.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a total deal breaker for me and there are lots of other things that should likely be worked on first. But it is still something that I'd like to see looked at in the future.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited December 2022
    I like it :) The game is a fucking high fantasy. There is magic and everyone appears to be able to use it. Hammer ability looks nice, works nice and imo fits the fighter archetype just fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Ok sure but every aspect of the game is based in reality, the hammer strike looks awkward because it doesn't make sense. Just like if the animation was replaced by a bow swinging down and wacking someone, it's not something that looks good regardless of the idea its based in reality.
    Again... it might not make sense in a world totally based on physics.
    Green Arrow sometimes whacks people with his bow, by the way.
    Are you saying that people never get whacked by a hammer?
    Clerics/medics whack people with hammers, but fighters don't whack people with hammers?

Apparently, a Tank conjuring a Javelin is fine, but a Fighter conjuring a Hammer is illogical??
  • Options

Hammer has nothing to do with paladin. Paladins use all sorts of weapons just like a fighter... 7eww4zx0vf0s.png

This is not the point I’m trying to make. I’m saying if these skills are class based then why not do it for a paladin instead of a fighter. Paladins use holy magic so it makes sense they can do something like that. On a fighter it ruins immersion.
  • Options

And they also ask for feedback on animations or anything else they show off in the videos?
  • Options

Clerics/medics whack people with hammers, but fighters don't whack people with hammers?

Apparently, a Tank conjuring a Javelin is fine, but a Fighter conjuring a Hammer is illogical??

No one said a tank conjuring a javelin is fine
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I like it :) The game is a fucking high fantasy. There is magic and everyone appears to be able to use it. Hammer ability looks nice, works nice and imo fights the fighter archetype just fine.

I like it if it’s on a Paladin or some sort of magic melee classes conjure melee weapons.
  • Options
    Zyvan wrote: »
    Just chiming in to agree with the sentiment that the ability looks off for a Fighter, or Weapon Master (Fighter/Fighter) in my opinion.

If I chose Fighter/Fighter as my class choice, I'd expect the appearance of my abilities to be more physical in nature rather than magical, which is how the hammer ability comes off to me. It looks more befitting of an ability used by a Fighter with Cleric augments rather than a Fighter base ability or Fighter with Fighter augments.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a total deal breaker for me and there are lots of other things that should likely be worked on first. But it is still something that I'd like to see looked at in the future.

But at least you agree.. I don’t want to be ignored and I just wanted to leave feedback on how I felt.
  • Options

This is not the point I’m trying to make. I’m saying if these skills are class based then why not do it for a paladin instead of a fighter. Paladins use holy magic so it makes sense they can do something like that. On a fighter it ruins immersion.
    Everyone on Verra wields Essence. So... no... it doesn't ruin immersion for that world design.
  • Options

Sure they aren't important, but I also find this particular animation to always draw my eye when cast, many of the others feel like they are along the right track already, but every time I have seen this hammer animation its felt off. Not something they need to fix tomorrow, but something that id certainly prefer to change before launch. They can leave it in notes if they want.

Immersive combat is pretty important I’d argue and you gave a good reasoning why it is.
  • Options

Everyone on Verra wields Essence. So... no... it doesn't ruin immersion for that world design.

I’m sure there are other animations that could be used to represent that.
  • Options

You are missing the point, a hammer isn't holy...
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2022
    All these ppl saying they like the magic hammer won't main a fighter. They dont understand the concept of class identity, and somehow bring in (only to their own confusion) fantasy/reality.
    Dont reply to them.

If the Fighter summons giant magic yellow hammer, then:

Maybe the ranger should have an attack in which the character draws back the string of the equiped bow and a giant magic yellow crossbow appears beside him, firing a giant yellow bolt.

Maybe the tanks shield slam should be a giant magic yellow shield should appear in front of him, and that giant yellow shield can rush at the enemy target.

Maybe the rogue, equiped with dual daggers can make a throwing motion and a giant yellow tomahawk can appear and be fired at the enemy target.
    And this skill should essential to all rogue classes.

Maybe the summoner can perform a chant and a peasant with a pitchfork can appear and be controlled by the summoner and that should be the main dps summon.

• Options

Maybe the ranger should have an attack in which the character draws back the string of the equiped bow and a giant magic yellow crossbow appears beside him, firing a giant yellow bolt.

Maybe the tanks shield slam should be a giant magic yellow shield should appear in front of him, and that giant yellow shield can rush at the enemy target.

Maybe the rogue, equiped with dual daggers can make a throwing motion and a giant yellow tomahawk can appear and be fired at the enemy target.

Maybe the summoner can perform a chant and a peasant with a pitchfork can appear and be controlled by the summoner and that should be the main dps summon.
    Unironically
    3priszf6cax2.png
  • Options

The class has nothing to do with it, it could be a 2 ft gnome healer tank or dps idgaf, the animation looks dumb. Having it look like a typical swing makes sense, looks better, and is still just as magical
  • Options
    Kiwi_Kiwi_ Member
    edited December 2022
    I kinda see why people don't like this but I also don't because...
    I'm 99% sure during the melee combat showcase (where the hammer and spin ability were shown for the first time, each with greatsword / daggers) Steven said the class used was the Weaponmaster.
    So my assumption would be, the intention behind the class Weaponmaster having 2 skills each summoning a different weapon for it, is that the class Weaponmaster is just summoning different weapons for their abilies?
    If my assumption is correct, then I get that you may not like the class and it's skills, but it'd be then wrong to say that it doesn't make sense for the class.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

Unironically
    3priszf6cax2.png

I could see this getting really repetitive and not feel unique besides the weapon being shown off..