Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Idea Prompt

SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
6yh7oa2ok4vf.png

Tulnar currently are not being worked on sayeth the Sandal Lord, that's cool with me I can wait.

____

Culture:

Architecture:

Clothing Design:

Weapon Design:

Armor Design:

____

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tulnar

From the wiki:

The Tulnar religion is a combination of religious beliefs of the major races as well as pagan beliefs of the minor races that evolved over time as they coexisted together in the Underrealm.[15] There's talked of Voodoo somehwere on the page so I'll continue to look for quotes and update the thread as necessary.

Tulnar have a caste system.

And Tulnar are descendants of the original four races before they split into 2 ethnic subgroups each.

"The progression of the Tulnar- while they are still the staples of what were once the primary deities of the good pantheon remained for the Tulnar, over the time they existed and evolved into the society that they are at the return to Verra. It's much more similar... to the way the Creole religions advanced, with using components of Christianity as well as Voodoo and other smaller, more "paganesque" religions; and incorporated them into one. To that degree, you can correlate the way that society around the Tulnar has this almost combination of what were pagan beliefs from the minor races as well as the introductions of the major beliefs and religions from the major races, because they all came together in the Underrealm and survived in that regard. So you’re gonna see naturally a combination of those two things.[11] – Steven Sharif"

___

Culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_Vodun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

When you get a good look at Lousiana, Voodoo and Gothic Cemetaries.

But in the case of cultural, I rather look at the ancient Goths themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

Those fit both snugly with, Vodun has a huge spiritual and priest component to it, so does the caste system and Goths were among the most feared Warriors in the beginning of feudal Europe.

Which fit snugly into;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_periodhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_period

In this case, Indians were also important to the Creole culture and their beloved cookpot.

3uctxtb46tg4.png

I originally was about some eras in Japan, but since the Ren'Kai covered most of that I think I can live without.

Elements of Buddhism fit in well with Gothic arianism and still can meld well with Vodun.

But being also of the UnderRealm I think a small bits of Arcanepunk would also fit with the Tulnars nature.

fiemnmqfoim1.jpg
9r1s7jc3sqrx.jpg
ablnrb4l6sws.jpg
8mn5fvqtwzyg.jpg
3xxdpmvociw6.jpg
cp11wri09mzm.jpg

Architecture:

High Gothic from the Holy Roman Empire and Ancient Vedic Architecture is very blend able and when you add the Witchy/Voodoo nature of the Tulnar it creates some beautiful work. With the work Intrepid does it can easily blow away these quick AI searches.

xh2dtvjpd1h0.jpg
2so22ca5cnad.jpg
cea324uuylpn.jpg
7w3xbsbeu574.jpg
zbd1x51dhnyx.jpg
5sh47kdtm07p.jpg
lky1dhj5cf2v.jpg

Clothing:

Weapon Design:

Armor Design:

I just wanted to get the conversation going.

Comments

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2023
    I'm going to out myself here, purely because I'd love this to happen.

As a person who generally despises the tulnar if I could have less beastial tulnar and a somewhat feline appearance I would make one, especially if I could have pink.

Picture for reference. furhyn9gu7st.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    XenotexXenotex Member
    edited November 2023
    Here's a few ideas in addition to what you already posted
    i353edxz9f0i.jpg
    ygptyfcrygdk.jpg
    r1r5vjm3w6z0.jpg
    12iyhu37r08w.jpg
    a2jdhmbbrpyw.jpg3oehhdww93pm.jpg[img][/img]5bvh4tflzutg.jpg
    hc69fulhknco.jpg
    4o8wecjggec6.jpg
    5dhzmnc3l381.jpg
    in30jvfeda4e.jpg
    v5b9knu3h8v9.jpg
    f4xtc76cub6s.jpg
    k1x1bs0kyg7f.jpg
    ztqzjn4e9g8b.jpg
    k58vcnxopqpl.jpg
    1kjof4mb5r5v.jpg
    ekw5zu23uscc.jpg
    zlnkzenle6dz.jpg
    uh4xaak21ygs.jpg

095qsq35ir73.png
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2023
    Natasha wrote: »
    I'm going to out myself here, purely because I'd love this to happen.

As a person who generally despises the tulnar if I could have less bestial tulnar and a somewhat feline appearance I would make one, especially if I could have pink.

Picture for reference. furhyn9gu7st.jpg

oooo! I love her, she looks amazing. I should probably do some more generations for my dragon girl <3
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    qmhbg6myrrfj.png
    Made one with the generator. My dragon lady Rikka <3
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    o5v24z1hx5wg.jpeg
    zqisgcc9lkqs.jpeg
    3x137z76mcyt.jpeg
    s78htb8sr47j.jpeg
    nw6cvslyq47k.jpeg
  • Options
    I think the general idea is to go more "awe" than "uwu".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    hu2hs4cvj4do.jpeg
    tvb40ucg50mb.jpeg
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Females liking their characters to be feminine isn’t a shock to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @Solvryn get the convo going? it's been going on over the years with multiple threads lol

neat pictures though from everyone :smile:

• Options
    Wow.... You guys have some very cleaned-up notions of our to-be leashless pet-store escapees.

I imagine a lot more rags and dirt, from living underground. And rat-based features.

• Options
    Wow.... You guys have some very cleaned-up notions of our to-be leashless pet-store escapees.

I imagine a lot more rags and dirt, from living underground. And rat-based features.

lol
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Hmm... with as much as you end up in these threads, maybe you're a closet tulnar! o.o
    Don't worry we can get a generated version just for you as well :)
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Solvryn wrote: »
    To kick up some conversation: I do think that the idea of a grim dark, gothic or a more lovecraftian style of architecture would be very badass. Since the idea if that we're the original races and minor races that were moved into the under realm thanks to the intervention of the gods, it would make sense if it gets a bit more "dark" and "grimy". Since we know they're a caste system and they also worship a pantheon, it's very possible that the top of the system would be priest/priestess. The interesting thing is also the fact that the original races that went down into the under realm would have been the original ones, meaning that the idea of more humanoid looking versions of tulnar should be possible, however giving the caste system I would imagine they would be considered lower on the caste.
    Come check us out!
  • Options

Females liking their characters to be feminine isn’t a shock to me.

lol
    To kick up some conversation: I do think that the idea of a grim dark, gothic or a more lovecraftian style of architecture would be very badass. Since the idea if that we're the original races and minor races that were moved into the under realm thanks to the intervention of the gods, it would make sense if it gets a bit more "dark" and "grimy". Since we know they're a caste system and they also worship a pantheon, it's very possible that the top of the system would be priest/priestess. The interesting thing is also the fact that the original races that went down into the under realm would have been the original ones, meaning that the idea of more humanoid looking versions of tulnar should be possible, however giving the caste system I would imagine they would be considered lower on the caste.

putting @Solvryn and my quote together makes it seem like I'm laughing at or with their comment instead of what @Tyranthraxus posted lol

Yeah we had a similar discussion about it in
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/56516/the-possible-racial-contentions-of-verra/p2

I'm all for lovecraftian design :smile: The gothic themed architecture has been a topic for years on the forums.

The parent races are essentially the major races that combined with the minor ones.

Minor races
    Minor races on Verra include Giants, less reputable sects of Humans, Gnomes, and half-bloods of different races.[6]

The Tulnar are a combination of the four major races and many minor races that were left behind on Verra after the apocalypse.[61][62][63][5]
    The Tulnar religion is a combination of religious beliefs of the major races as well as pagan beliefs of the minor races that evolved over time as they coexisted together in the Underrealm.[66]

Humanoid just refers to a non-human being or entity with a human-like form or structure. Elves are technically humanoid, dwarves, orcs etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    oh gosh, I'm sorry, you're right. I just grabbed the last things you both said and didn't pay attention, this is edited now!
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    oh gosh, I'm sorry, you're right. I just grabbed the last things you both said and didn't pay attention, this is edited now!

no worries haha
  • Options
    @Solvryn get the convo going? it's been going on over the years with multiple threads lol

Not in the depth we need.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

You’re just gonna die in PvP. *shrug* Got them vibes you like being stepped on and like licking feet.

Plenty of beautiful Tulnar women to aid you in that.
  • Options

seems about the same depth to me lol
  • Options

I don’t think Tulnar players have actively explored the depth of real life cultures they’d actively like to see influence the race unless Gothic, Voodoo, Vedic, and some Japanese eras that don’t influence Ren Kai are the only ones they care about.

In which case good. We can discuss arcane punk in high fantasy mmo settings and why it belongs to the Tulnar.

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am definitely down with some Gothy looking buildings for the Tulnar. Underrealm style Goth, so it can't be all dark and gloomy, but intricate carvings and such for sure.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Nerror wrote: »
    I am definitely down with some Gothy looking buildings for the Tulnar. Underrealm style Goth, so it can't be all dark and gloomy, but intricate carvings and such for sure.

Like crazy statues of different creatures, similar to the like gargoyle statues. Something like that :love:
    Come check us out!
  • Options

I don’t think Tulnar players have actively explored the depth of real life cultures they’d actively like to see influence the race unless Gothic, Voodoo, Vedic, and some Japanese eras that don’t influence Ren Kai are the only ones they care about.

In which case good. We can discuss arcane punk in high fantasy mmo settings and why it belongs to the Tulnar.

oh my bad... Um lets see.............

I imagine humanoid beings with bestial features and/or fantasy beings/beasts. Been stated many expect gothic architecture but it could be much more ancient-like. The races are from the "primal" versions of current "sub"-races.

Mix in the polytheist religion with monotheist themes with the corruptions, could say we could expect to see Cherubim or Nephilim inspired being with how their corruption from the gods/realm plays a role in it or even NPC mobs with similar inspiration.

The under realm is an RGB bioluminescent rave so add that into the mix as a possibility to architectural flair (or not). Either the environment plays a role in that design as well which could be something similar to gothic or divine with a corrupter inking.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff

There are a few different interpretations of what the Tulnar could be, so even this one is interesting!
    community_management.gif
  • Options

I imagine humanoid beings with bestial features and/or fantasy beings/beasts. Been stated many expect gothic architecture but it could be much more ancient-like. The races are from the "primal" versions of current "sub"-races.

Mix in the polytheist religion with monotheist themes with the corruptions, could say we could expect to see Cherubim or Nephilim inspired being with how their corruption from the gods/realm plays a role in it or even NPC mobs with similar inspiration.

The under realm is an RGB bioluminescent rave so add that into the mix as a possibility to architectural flair (or not). Either the environment plays a role in that design as well which could be something similar to gothic or divine with a corrupter inking.
    Hmm I’m gonna ponder this
  • Options
    This is a super neat thread. Love the proposal of theory crafting while we wait for more Tulnar news to drop.

I love the suggestions and interpretations people are bringing for the Tulnar. I hope to see more contributions to this thread, with lots of thoughts and ideas! Especially with the prompts that @Solvryn provided :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2023

:smile:

to me it seems somewhat logical considering the gods created, corruption befell, survival, hybrid forms..

Its got the book of genesis all over it. (or something similar from many other religions/mythologies in real life)

The Tulnar seem like they're a duality of the blessing and curses of greater powers at play.

Would be befitting of the lore's progression in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Vaknar wrote: »
    This is a super neat thread. Love the proposal of theory crafting while we wait for more Tulnar news to drop.

I love the suggestions and interpretations people are bringing for the Tulnar. I hope to see more contributions to this thread, with lots of thoughts and ideas! Especially with the prompts that @Solvryn provided :)

Hello Vaknar! :) Welcome to our conversation, I'd love to hear anything you have theories in ^^

I somehow missed the prompt from Solv. lol
    I know we've talked about this quite often but I'll do it in the prompt!

Culture: With the overall focus on caste and maybe even the pantheon. I think it's going to be very oppressive. I think we'll see people stiffled and feeling quite trapped on the lower levels of the caste. I think we may see a bit of vodoo but I also think we may have some harsh levels of religion, maybe some crazed culty vibes, but I'm not entirely sure. I think those at the top will be definitely be pompous though lol

Architecture: Dark Gothic or Lovecraftian
    Idea behind this would be since they're more "ancient" and escaping what we will call the corruption it would make sense to make things a bit more dark and gothicy. The Lovecraftian style I think would fit well since they're constantly changing and evolving.

Clothing & Armor Design: I'm going to put these two together, as I think of them as one of the same. I have two conflicting ideas. We'll either see a more leather based armor with strange scales and fur from the creatures in the under realm that will probably mostly been themes gothic. OR We'll see a less strong sense of armor. Males with like pauldrons strapped on with little actual chest armor. Pants being mostly cloth or leather with plates strapped on, more so a loose sense of style. I'm not sure what to call it.

Weapon Design: I'm honestly hoping for a large amount of like obsidian looking weapons or maybe special ore that may be bio-luminescent based on the environment itself.

Come check us out!
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

Hello Vaknar! :) Welcome to our conversation, I'd love to hear anything you have theories in ^^

I probably shouldn't theorize on the Tulnar for a few different reasons... but I love reading the theories and suggestions being shared in this thread! Those are what I'm interested in ;)
    community_management.gif
  • Options

:smile:

to me it seems somewhat logical considering the gods created, corruption befell, survival, hybrid forms..

Its got the book of genesis all over it. (or something similar from many other religions/mythologies in real life)

The Tulnar seem like they're a duality of the blessing and curses of greater powers at play.

Would be befitting of the lore's progression in my opinion.

I'm gonna have to read Genesis all over again, this is the level of depth I wanted to explore.