Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Vek Race - Concept & 3D Art - 2022

12346»

Comments

• Options
    More sinical please THEY have been in a cave fighting for survival for a hot minute. More scares, missing appendages from skirmishes. Harsh lives with animalistic tendency's

Maybe not so gangly reminds me of a skinny face Smegal.

I was hoping for more of a robust subspecies that survived through dominance and natural selection.

Not starved to death aliens.
  • Options
    Cartoonish.... I know this isn't helpful but all the other models from the live-stream had high believability and a certain realism to them. This model just seems made-up (I know) and out of place. The coloring is maybe contributing to my perception of this since all the other models had human-like skin tones. I'm not a creative type so criticism is easy but actual critiquing is difficult.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    Love it, this is how i imagined Vek to be. I agree with some people here about the teeth make them look like trolls from WoW so not a fan of the teeth
    Izil.png
  • Options
    BrianDaddyBrianDaddy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race? Very solid, it gives off that creepy unsure vibe. Solid artwork.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why? The black deep hole eyes just cause they creep me out. Lol but No it is very good.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Vek race? Was very good.
    Are there any specific Character Creator customization you would like to see for the Vek race? Tribal tattoos, Teeth, earrings, same kinda stuff.
    xU7tJe6.png
  • Options
    LOL... Looks more like a Troll than an Orc. Hate Both refuse to play either. Looks good as a "Cannon Fodder" Race though.
    The Truth has 3 sides, Your Point of View, Their point of View, and The Actual Truth, so, Be careful How you wield the Sword of Truth, It Cuts 3 ways!
  • Options
    mwpate42mwpate42 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    I think the Vek are heading in a great direction! They look unique and are clearly distinct from their Ren'Kai cousins and that will attract a fan base that genuinely wants to play the Vek.

Honestly the reveal of the Vek pumped me up because we now have a race of Orc that look comfortable with magic instead of the stereotypical brutes they are often made out to be.
  • Options
    The female art is wayyyy too human in structure. The male models are visibly alien in bone structure, but a different nose shape and big ears are the only things not-human on the female. Sharpen the cheekbone angles to and move the whole upper face up to match the male model, bring the chin down and make is sharper. The forehead should be swooping back like the male’s art is.

You literally took all the creative design aspects for the Vek race and tossed them in the trash when your artists got around to doing the female design
  • Options
    I really love the first designs, which remind me heavily of the Trolls from WoW (my favourite Race in MMOs so far), and I'm wondering if it might be possible to choose posture options, like, hunched and goblinesque in the words of the Devs, and possibly an upright "dignified" posture, which, if they're tall-ish like the Ren'Kai and only stooped, could be a nice option. One of my favourite changes back in WoW was when they offered a fixed Orc posture option, though I was saddened they never offered one to Trolls and I chose to swap my Troll to a Zandalari when they became available. Having an upright Vek to look down on the Humans, Elves, and Dwarves alongside their Ren'Kai cousins would be a great option but besides posture I LOVE the design and aesthetic. I'm very hopeful that the sexual dimorphism isn't as grossly disproportionate as it is in WoW which is one of my primary gripes; so far it looks like the dimorphism isn't insane which I find awesome.
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't like them at all. Will never play them. Really ugly and stupid.
  • Options
    After watching the Stream Debuting the in-game Vek Models, I've gone over the Male and Female examples, and I think outside of maybe slightly larger eyes for the males (which looks like it could well be an option in the CC) I think the Female face needs to be more in line with the length and sharpness of the Male face; sharper cheek bones, longer and more forward-pointing forehead and nose, the Female Vek looks great, very in-line with the concept art, but I feel like this should be perhaps the facial diversity angle for both Vek, from the Male Model we can see a more alien set of features, and from the Female a softer, more human set; if both sexes have alien and human feature limitations (with all points in between fair game) which look close to the two models we've seen, I think that would be quite acceptable for folks who prefer looking as Goblinoid as they can compared to those who like cute, soft-looking Gobbos. I'm looking forward to seeing the postures they develop, and hope we have a few options for either a Goblinoid Hunch or a more Regal Upright.

SSLivestream-2022-03-31-1%3A08%3A48.png

SSLivestream-2022-03-31-1%3A08%3A52.png

SSLivestream-2022-03-31-1%3A08%3A39.png

SSLivestream-2022-03-31-1%3A08%3A48.55.png

The differences in the skulls of the Male and Female Vek are significant, but if this just ends up being two poles along both sexes' feature limitations I can vibe with it. Give us Softboi Vek and Alien MILF Vek alongside our Alien DILF Vek and Softgirl Vek.
  • Options
    Oh and besides that I think that both Vek Models are Fire. Super looking forward to playin' one.
  • Options
    I might be late to the party, but as someone who plans on playing a Vek, my only dislike about them is Intrepid's plan to make them hunched, not unlike trolls in WoW. I personally would like them to stand straight (or at least have the option to make my character stand straight).

A simple matter of preference. Will probably main a Vek either way.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Hello all!

Added the male & female 3D art from the March Development Update livestream to the OP! I also made some edits in the text to reflect that. If you have any additional feedback regarding the 3D art, feel free to leave it here :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    edited April 2022
    I really like how they look.
    But compared to Kaelar the Vek looks way more cartoonish, especially the female vek. It looks like the two races have two different artstyles. I think it's because some of the proportions (both face and body) is slightly oversized on the Vek, just like the proportions many cartoon characters has. There is something more that makes it looks more cartnoonish but I just can't point it out, something about some details and the skin I think.
    I understand they are different races and that the proportions rules may not be the exact same as humans.

gi8v4u0rn7t0.jpg
  • Options
    iznebulaiznebula Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    All I will say is I love the design and colors of the Vek. My only concern is their hunched stature. For a stargazing and knowledge seeking race, I would love for them to not be hunched all the time. However, if you have to have the hunched stature as a design choice, don't make the entire race have that specific difference be a defining factor. IMO, I think they should have a very well balanced mix of both hunched and non-hunched Vek in the world.

Tribes should be mixed between them, maybe make it a change that would occur based on age, such as the older you create them, the more hunched they become. Just please give us the players and in game Vek NPCs/Tribes the same option of having both statures.