Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guild/node should be tied to accounts

Comments

• Doesn't matter if your alt is a different character, that character is still you. What matters is the designed value the guilds gives you and if that design can be exploited. As well as giving reason for people to suppose and grow their guild and without a guild being taxed by membership by having their alts in the guild. When you have limited slots makes it more difficult to have alts in the guild.

Design is more important then people thinking their alt is some new person imo. You can rp as a new person easily by typing if you really wanted to do that. RP shouldn't dictate systems that influence combat within the game.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So am alt being guildless has an advantage in combat?

Sometimes I like to try out new class and race combos without people knowing it is me. Why should every alt made automatically be forced to join a guild?

Not understanding why player choice must be sacrificed.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    So am alt being guildless has an advantage in combat?

Sometimes I like to try out new class and race combos without people knowing it is me. Why should every alt made automatically be forced to join a guild?

Not understanding why player choice must be sacrificed.

You have a choice to be in a guild, and support the guild, the same choice to leave the guild. There is no choice being lost there. You can choose a guild to gain the perks in and meshes well with you. So you aren't losing out on choice.

*edit
    But your choice will have a lot more meaning on the guild that is right for you to join. Which is beneficial on both ends for the player and the guild.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2022
    I thought this was a thread about alts.
    My mistake for thinking alts from multiboxing were alts.

Yes. It's a different account from a different pc. Why would you derail the thread? Ffs. If you cant understand the topic stay out of it.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Not a fan. I want the freedom to play my alts differently, which includes different guilds. I don't see any advantage to an account being locked into a guild.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Not a fan. I want the freedom to play my alts differently, which includes different guilds. I don't see any advantage to an account being locked into a guild.

Who said anything about your individual advantage? How can you ever examine an idea when this is your starting point?

The advantage is the health of the guild system.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Health of the guild system comes from the guilds themselves. You think someone's an alt char in your guild? Talk to them about their investment into your guild. If they can't provide as much as you want from them - kick them.
  • How does being in one guild stop you from playing your character how you want? It doesn't stop you from playing with other guilds, talking to them etc.

Only thing you lose out is perks that different guilds that and not being able to try to get the best of all worlds on alts if you were allowed to be in them.

The main point for this is so you aren't limited by alts in a single guild people aren't like "this guilds doesn't work for me since my alts won't get the bonus and they have since there is no room for them". So guilds can grow, since both you will have commitments to each other and you aren't just a person in a guild that doesn't do anything to help it grow but try to leech perks.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Health of the guild system comes from the guilds themselves. You think someone's an alt char in your guild? Talk to them about their investment into your guild. If they can't provide as much as you want from them - kick them.

Not everyone will think like that with smaller more casual guilds. Yes top tier guilds will only try to get the best and committed members. This helps the smaller guilds by having people that will stay with them and give them a fair chance atleast. Then smaller guild being more so like dead leaves full of a bunch of random alt characters that don't care about their guild. But they just take whatever they get since they don't have much choice. It just create more of overall importance on the guild you are apart of since you can only be in one. This isn't stopping you from doing whatever you want its just making a more lively guild system.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Who said anything about your individual advantage? How can you ever examine an idea when this is your starting point?

Collectivism over individuality never wins.
    Why should players be forced to join a guild?
    Why should Intrepid abandon a stated game play choice by forcing people into a guild?

As for your other comment reading comprehension and understanding are not really that hard.
    Read the multi-box thread on the wiki and watch the videos. It is not about multiple games on multiple computers. It is about multiple games running at the same time on the same computer.

Alts are alts weather they are on the same account or a different one.
    Lots of people run multiple accounts from one machine.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Not everyone will think like that with smaller more casual guilds. Yes top tier guilds will only try to get the best and committed members. This helps the smaller guilds by having people that will stay with them and give them a fair chance atleast. Then smaller guild being more so like dead leaves full of a bunch of random alt characters that don't care about their guild. But they just take whatever they get since they don't have much choice. It just create more of overall importance on the guild you are apart of since you can only be in one. This isn't stopping you from doing whatever you want its just making a more lively guild system.
    And a small guild that doesn't care about being super strict about their memebers won't care that one of their members doesn't play 10h every day. And they won't be spied on because they're just a small/casual guild.

What would happen though is the owner of that alt can just relax with another group of people w/o worrying about constantly doing smth beneficial to the guild. And those who care about spying, can still do so.

In other words, you're limiting player choice while not providing any benefits with this change. What it would provide though is more toxicity in hardcore guilds. I can already see smth like "I see you have a crafting alt. Why are you not crafting stuff for free for the guild? Wtf man?!" or "I see you have a healer alt. Have you maxxed it out yet? We gonna need it for the next raid cause we already have enough of your main class. Go do it asap".
  • CROW3 wrote: »

Why should Intrepid abandon a stated game play choice by forcing people into a guild?

As for your other comment reading comprehension and understanding are not really that hard.
    Read the multi-box thread on the wiki and watch the videos. It is not about multiple games on multiple computers. It is about multiple games running at the same time on the same computer.

Red hearing argument, multiboxing is multiboxing. If you are spending money on another account to by pass systems that is you. That is not something most people do stop trying to use that in a argument, you aren't being smart. There is a reason why you can only be a citizen on more then one node which is good to hear, which means if you are buying a bunch of accounts to try to influence that it be a red flag to me :)
  • I have tried to think this and because citizenship will be account bound that takes care of issues related to acting at several nodes at the same time. However, I do not see a reason why characters freedom of choise should be restricted especially if spying is an intended feature. If I mirror this to Albion and Fractured MMOs. Either one is not restricting which guild I can join with my characters. Fractured uses account bound citizenship feature if your characters are from same planet and therefore, has similar approach as Ashes. If there is no serious downsides to join different guilds then I would value player's freedom of choise much more. I am not sure if I have played a single MMORPG where my characters would been forced to be in one guild.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • NiKr wrote: »
    And a small guild that doesn't care about being super strict about their memebers won't care that one of their members doesn't play 10h every day. And they won't be spied on because they're just a small/casual guild.

What would happen though is the owner of that alt can just relax with another group of people w/o worrying about constantly doing smth beneficial to the guild. And those who care about spying, can still do so.

In other words, you're limiting player choice while not providing any benefits with this change. What it would provide though is more toxicity in hardcore guilds. I can already see smth like "I see you have a crafting alt. Why are you not crafting stuff for free for the guild? Wtf man?!" or "I see you have a healer alt. Have you maxxed it out yet? We gonna need it for the next raid cause we already have enough of your main class. Go do it asap".

What you are saying sounds more like a guild people problem. Joining a guild that is of your play style is important, if its a bad guild I'd leave. If a guild expected me to do things 24/7 and didn't respect me just chilling I'd leave that guild but the guild id be running wouldn't have that issue. Its something that hangs more on leadership positions on helping people that need help or fixing issues and it is just part of the job. Be you are on the game or not people will bug you and there is no escaping it. So I don't see this as a valid point on needing to escape from people.
  • Ferryman wrote: »
    I have tried to think this and because citizenship will be account bound that takes care of issues related to acting at several nodes at the same time. However, I do not see a reason why characters freedom of choise should be restricted especially if spying is an intended feature. If I mirror this to Albion and Fractured MMOs. Either one is not restricting which guild I can join with my characters. Fractured uses account bound citizenship feature if your characters are from same planet and therefore, has similar approach as Ashes. If there is no serious downsides to join different guilds then I would value player's freedom of choise much more. I am not sure if I have played a single MMORPG where my characters would been forced to be in one guild.

Of course not saying it will happen with guilds its just my view point on it. In BDO your character family was all in the same guild. Then playing lost ark being able to be in multiple guilds honestly i felt that was a issue, though the need for alts, limited guild space and no recruitment chat all didn't help the issue as well.

If you are in one guild there is much higher chance to be in their discord doing things with them, etc. Compared to being in multiple guilds. As well you get bonuses for being in a guild and smaller guilds get more higher perks. So if you can be in more guilds you have your alt run the guild after a certain point and you have selected groups join a smaller guild for more power while you run your main guild. So you are just trying to min max with multiple guilds.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is another one of those issues that was settled years ago.

Steven wants inter-guild drama, and a big part of that is rival guilds spying on each other.

This is something Steven wants to have happen, and so any restrictions at all that make it so a player can't do this simply wont happen.

Requiring all characters on an account would restrict the owner of that account from spying on a rival guild, and so is simply not going to happen.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Be you are on the game or not people will bug you and there is no escaping it. So I don't see this as a valid point on needing to escape from people.
    Except I can tell them that I can't play rn. And if my alts are not in the guild, they wouldn't know that I'm playing. But even outside of that point, you're still forcing people into smth they might not want. And while with node citizenship it's somewhat understandable because there's a ton of mechanics and benefits related to it, forcing people to have all of their alts in the same guild doesn't serve any real purpose outside of just limiting people's choice.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    This is another one of those issues that was settled years ago.

Steven wants inter-guild drama, and a big part of that is rival guilds spying on each other.

This is something Steven wants to have happen, and so any restrictions at all that make it so a player can't do this simply wont happen.

Requiring all characters on an account would restrict the owner of that account from spying on a rival guild, and so is simply not going to happen.

That isn't true you can leave guild and spy on another guild, that is a red herring. You can talking to other people and get them to spy for you, leave guild and spy on them. All of that is possible while having a guild bound system.

I could use that wording in the same way where it would make spies seem more valid since they can only be in one guild and more easy to trick people. This person has been in our guild for a month and can only be in one guild so there is a much higher chance he isn't a spy.

Meaning that guilds being bound would lean better to the quote and this is the correct way to go.

~~~

You would need a quote saying you can join multiple guilds with your alt characters and spy on them.
    That isn't true you can leave guild and spy on another guild, that is a red herring.

A red herring argument is one that is based on presenting unrelated information and related information at the same time, in order to distract from the related information.

There is no way you could consider my post a red herring, as it has nothing but related information contained within.

And also, Steven has said you shouldn't need to leave your guild in order to spy on another guild. So, there's that...
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    This is certainly interesting to think about. Your idea poses different pros and cons. As others have stated, spying on other guilds and espionage is not just an unintended byproduct of the system, but instead an intentional inclusion of the system.

I think ideas like this generate great, thought-provoking conversations. Keep it up! ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    How does being in one guild stop you from playing your character how you want?
    Because my alts are not going to have the same interests and different goals and objectives and are not going to want the same Guild perks.

It doesn't stop you from playing with other guilds, talking to them etc.

Only thing you lose out is perks that different guilds that and not being able to try to get the best of all worlds on alts if you were allowed to be in them.
    Why is that dismissed as "only"?
    I dunno what "the best of all worlds" is intended to mean.

The main point for this is so you aren't limited by alts in a single guild people aren't like "this guilds doesn't work for me since my alts won't get the bonus and they have since there is no room for them". So guilds can grow, since both you will have commitments to each other and you aren't just a person in a guild that doesn't do anything to help it grow but try to leech perks.
    Players are limited if their alts don't want to be in the same guild.
    Why would alts be doing nothing else for their disparate guilds except "leeching" perks??
    That makes no sense.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member

Interesting perspective. I think it would benefit Intrepid if you only posted in this forum. I don't think it's helpful to Ashes if you're involved playing or commenting on other games, @George_Black

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

Interesting perspective. I think it would benefit Intrepid if you only posted in this forum. I don't think it's helpful to Ashes if you're involved playing or commenting on other games, @George_Black

Sarcasm? Not original. What would benefit Intrepids development? "This idea will not suit me so I dont see ANY advantages."
    Posts like these?

Multiple game clients running from the same pc is bannable. No need for any discussion or mentioning it.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member

Sarcasm? Not original. What would benefit Intrepids development? "This idea will not suit me so I dont see ANY advantages."
    Posts like these?

Uh huh. Well, feel free to list the mutual advantages anytime.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited June 2022

Posts like these?

Rly? Have you not read what ppl "listed" so far? We are on the second page. What have you been doing besides saying "I dont see any advantage for ME" ?

Posts like these?

Rly? Have you not read what ppl "listed" so far? We are on the second page. What have you been doing besides saying "I dont see any advantage for ME" ?

The only things I have seen listed are all things that Intrepid intend.

Do you have any thoughts on some unintended consequences?
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    No mutual benefit so far.

Posts like these?

Yep, not seeing a mutual benefit for the player and the guild. It’s your argument to make… so it’s fine if you just want to spit in the wind. 🤷‍♂️

We’ll just get the guild system as it stands.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited June 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

Posts like these?

The only things I have seen listed are all things that Intrepid intend.

Do you have any thoughts on some unintended consequences?

I believe that if players want to spy on other guilds they can just leave their real guild, take their account elsewhere and do their spying. And come back later.
    I believe that if people want to play alts without socializing they should just say "Im doing something by myself today so I wont be available". It's not a big deal.

The proposed design helps guilds with their available spots. If the account is tied to the guild, a member can swap from a high to a low character, from a tank to a dps, from whatever the need is, without worrying about not having room, about coming to the activity with a non guild character, potentially missing out on contributing or receiving and guild points.

I dont understand this selfish behaviour. What do you think guilds are? Armor skins that complement your mood? "I wanna be able to play in many guilds". I dont get it.

Anyways. None of this affects me on a personal level. Not one bit. Ill take my common sense and get out of this topic. Arguing against selfishness isnt hard anyway. I said all I had.

Crow you still want mutual benefits. When it comes to social structures the individual sacrifices. It doesnt expect benefits. I said it on the first post. Why should there be a personal advantage?
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Ok.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png