Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What Races will there be/ do you want to see?

Comments

• Races that could possibly be locked to their own starting region first? I.E. A knight in a castle kingdom where you first start off in the game and set off to explore from there?
  • I would love to see a goblin race. Not like wow either. A dark and brooding style that drives fear into victims that pass their way.
  • Even if all races are humanoid, I hope we will get both large and small races. Something like Ogres/Orcs vs Dwarves/goblins. Doubt the devs will go as far as creating races with different skeleton models, but if we can get that in some future update that would be great.

What matters even more to me is that the races are actually different. The devs already said that the races will have different stats, but hopefully they can have somewhat different abilities which actually makes playing a different race... well... different. :) Night vision, regeneration, running speed, water breathing, whatever else is suitable, can give a lot of flavor to the races while keeping a balance.
  • Would like to see more realistic design, rather than female TOONs that are only made so butt and breast are a show piece. lets be real make them fierce! not like teenage looking girls or like a little girl. -Tatu
  • I swear to high hell if there's a child-race, the kind you see in so many other asian MMOs, I'm going to give the devs of AOC the stare of death.

But uh, I dunno. I'm more interested in the politics of the various races more-so than the design of them. I guess at least one race of 'animal people' would be cool, I guess. Don't really care that much tho'.

Lizard kobolds are rad tho'. I'd like to see them as a choice.
  • Beside Elves I would like to see a "draconic" race.
  • I agree with OP, he has very good suggestions for races. What comes to the previous errors of other game designers in character designs clipping through armour or costume I believe one could solve the problem by making a few, let's say 3, different default character models:

- One bulky with hunched back for strong monstrous feeling
    - One humanoid for obvious reasons
    - One extra slim with some eerie figure for more variety

As races I'd personally like to see besides <strong>humans </strong>and <strong>dwarves</strong>: bulky ogre-like <strong>golems</strong>, some huge animal-based race like <strong>pandas</strong>, a smaller feline-styled race (perhaps <strong>foxes</strong>), <strong>LIZARDMEN </strong>YES PLEASE, a smaller slender race with close relationship to nature like <strong>pixies</strong> or <strong>fairies</strong>, a spectral but ingame somehow physical race like<strong> jinns</strong>, <strong>genies </strong>or <strong>wraiths</strong>.

What I would hate to have as races are vampires and demons. Please don't make these as playable character races unless you want my ultimate disgust.
  • Make that race look like one of those triceratops armored ones and I'd play the heck out of it!
  • Bird and Fish people...

That would be interesting.
  • im guessing human race will be in for sure as well some type of elves. I would not mind dwarves for instance or some reptilian race. I used to play DAoC and Minotaurs were a great race there that comes to mind, so something along those lines would be cool to have as an option. Im not a fan of small races, faries or ''loly'' type races. Some type of undead race would be cool too, or something etheral like a ghost. Would be nice if they can come up with races that you would not find in any other MMORPG though as preety much all of them have their humans, elves, or iterations on those so something entirely new would be a welcome addition in my book
  • Yes I agree we need some undead!
  • I'd like to be able to play as a spirit. With the ability to either raise the dead or to possess a human( or any race). You could raise a corpse from a graveyard or a battlefield. Gaining knowledge from the corpses and humans possessed and that would build your class. Raising or possessing magic users would give you more magic skills and talents. Or raising the corpse of a priest and then raising the corpse of a warrior would give you more of a paladin type class build.
  • I just hope they will add enough sliders -- It's the most frustrating when you can't make your elf-character more burly or more fragile looking, or a big strong orc to a gollum-like creature..... I think If the sliders let us customize our toons well enough, it will make a big difference even with only the basic human, elf, orc, dwarf races.
  • Just fantasizing here: Would love to see an insectoid race. Not many games make a race with an insect-origin race. Though I do understand it would be challenging creating all the armour and weapons for the insectoid.
  • Aside from the races that are most likely going to be included, the following are what I would like to see included.

Halflings - An interesting concept. I think it should NOT be limited only to elves and humans, but rather one that you can mix and match (two) races to create your Halfling.

Darkling - Basically a Halfling, but where it's your choice of base-race and a mix with shade/Devil. [The race I would prefer to use.]

Devil - A fallen angel. Mainly in dark magic/magic, but also able to melee as well as other classes. Mostly an aesthetic race that drives stories. It may, however, interfere with the global storyline and become an overused race due to its "uniqueness."

These three aren't great ideas, but ideas none the less.
    Hope this inspires you others to think up your own race!

Game on!
  • Maybe some kind of Shapeshifter? Just something simple with one ability changing to human to animal and vice versa. Would be great, especially, in an open world.
  • I like classic races usually like human, goblin, dwarf, orc, elves and such.

I have played as a Kenko and a Grimlock and DnD and that was cool.

I recall the comic book Autumnlands which I think they changed the name of because of a conflict had all these cool animal spellcasters and warriors. There is a lot of places to get inspiration from. Whatever they do all the armor should work with all the races.
  • I want the devs to put in a really outlandish race. SOmething we've never seen before in a MMO. Maybe a slime people race. I don't know I'm not that creative. But it's time to get away from the basics like humans, orcs, dwarves, and elves. I want to play something super exotic that I never could have though of.
  • What do you guys think about evolving races similar to the anime overlord, where you could start out with a basic race(human, elf etc.) and could become heteromorphic (devil, vampire) through race levels or questlines?
  • I think some people talked about seeing a bird people like race. That would be awesome, I definitely would like that, I mean we got things like Tengu from GW and Kenku from DnD or the Sathari from Star Wars.

PLUS if you notice, the dev team has old Everquest devs...Aviaks perhaps?
  • I'd love to Elemental races or something like Broken Lords or Morgwahni (I know I butchered it) from Endless Legend.

Trolls seem to be an npc monster so I doubt they'll be playable.
  • I'd love to see some Nac Mac Feegles , but I suppose it could be challenging to include PC's that small.
  • I would love a rogue or ninja, assassin type something fast and with dodge and things like that pretty sure there's gonna be a kickass Mage concept too ???? #ashesofcrearion
  • I'd love to see Vampires or Fallen Angels as races.
  • I would love to have a demon humanoid race and lizardmen race, but I'm cool also with a **** race.

Everythig except catpeople is acceptable.
  • lizardmen and the earlier mentioned insectoids would be really cool!

I'm not against the classic fantasy races as long as they feel morally ambivalent. What I hate the most about elves, dwarves and orcs is that they are always associated with being good or bad by default. It's fine to use these races as long as you make certain, that they are actually regular living beings...so they can be good or bad, depending on your actions, not their lore.

Big wish: dont go for the little cutie race as many MMOs have! They get annoying rather fast, I feel...
  • Do some Fae touched folk!

They don't have to deviate too far from the original "humanoid" shape so it can save the developers some trouble having to model something entirely new. But allow it to give the diversity and fantasy of a world like this. Allow bright colors, mixed with vibrant metal sheens across the face or patterns to give them the kissed by deep magic.

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/svba6if8flimbtc/fae.png?dl=0" target="_blank">Fae</a>
  • I think one big thing to consider in the variation of races is what will be "race locked". Many games lock certain items/abilities/equipment to certain races, which is fine by me and I prefer it. I personally don't mind if we have 8 re-skinned human races or 8 unique races. My main hope is to be able to play multiple accounts (and therefore several races), and hopefully within the same server. That way I can try out all of the different aspects of AoC without having one account that can "do anything and use everything". It would be nice to see specializations for once, forcing players to make hard decisions about character building, and having distinct races can certainly encourage that.
  • Races should depend heavily on the Lore of the world, which we don't know much about.

Would love to see Hobgoblins (I think Orcs get overused). Beast Races like felines or minotaurs would also be awesome! I believe at least one race should be something we haven't seen in other games.

I like the idea if later they could add sub race categories to augment your current race like Undead, Draconic, Demonic and Angelic!
  • The Orcs represented in EQ Next was fantastic. I hope the design and lore team could stay close to that representation.