Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be RP realms?

With all the discussion about PVP and PVE, which I think all the servers should have both in balance, personally, I wanted to ask if there will be a server or servers dedicated more towards Roleplay, with name regulation (no characters named Big McBallsrhuge, etc) and an emphasis on getting into character and really immersing ourselves.

I'm really hoping there will be, I mean even in games without dedicated RP servers there tends to be an RP community that unofficially designates a server or two to congregate and create an RP community ingame, but it's always nice when there are pre-designated servers for those looking for it.

Looking forward to the game either way!

Comments

• Options
    It has been brought up in some Twitch videos, I think they are going with the idea of not separating any type of player. No separation for PVE, PvP or Roleplay
  • Options
    I hope they at least give us one separate server for role play focus, buy we'll see.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    The devs have said no "RP realms".

The devs expect RP to happen on all the servers...
    Especially what you seem to be referring to..."proper RP": getting into character and really immersing ourselves, as if we live in that virtual world.

Taverns and inns will be the spaces for people who want to "theatre RP": virtual world LARPing. (That's the devs' vision)
  • Options
    I don't think there will be any weighted servers.  All the servers will have the same rule sets and then the players will make the the servers what they will.  I have seen a thread inviting roleplayers to join an unoffical roleplay comunity and i expect they will all go to the same server if poss in an attempt to make that server as roleplay centric as possible.  but i think think that is the best you will get.
  • Options
    It's more a concern for the "proper RP" as you called it, we're not just going to spend all day in taverns, we're going to go out and do stuff, and running into other people and engaging in RP with them helps build stories and backgrounds. This is much more likely on dedicated RP servers. But again, even if there's no official RP servers, we'll end up designating a couple unofficially to be RP heavy servers for those looking for it. Just would be nice to have it official is all. 
  • Options
    Yes. The devs said that players might designate an RP server, but the devs won't enforce it.
  • Options
    what will likely happen is that the players designate a rp server, and it becomes the official server for the rp community.
  • Options
    I think everywhere where you are you are roleplaying, cause its a game where you play your fantasy character ;)
  • Options
    No mater where I am im going to be the lord of death nagash I mean thats the point of these games is to be someone you are not
  • Options
    well, there might be no dedicated RP Server by the devs, BUT at least there are servers so RPers can unofficially choose one. That't not possible on megaserver MMOs where you just have to be lucky to be with other RPers
  • Options
    what will likely happen is that the players designate a rp server, and it becomes the official server for the rp community.
    This. Happens in all the popular MMOs. Just start a website and say you want to have an RP server, get guilds to join, then when you have more idea of the various servers, pick a middle tier server and let all the guilds know that will be the unofficial RP server. Pretty easy to coordinate before release.
  • Options
    You may be stuck with funky names but at least you won't have to worry about bunny ears and baseball jerseys getting in the way of your immersion
  • Options
    I suspect there'll be enough servers so that RP'ers may implement their own server but Intrepid won't create one as I understand it. However, I suspect there'll be RP'ers on all/most servers.
  • Options
    To be honest, they plan on having an active gm community anyway, so I wouldn't see to much harm in dedicating one server  per populated region with an rp tag and additional rules like naming policies. We can still report names so they don't have to manually look through the whole list day in and day out.
    In fact, it would be immensly interesting in my optinion to see how such a server develops, which way a collection of rp focused groups would lead their own world towards.
    This time around I won't be mainly on an rp focused one, but I am pretty sure a server like that would thrive just as well as any other and I always enjoyed the overall tone on those, you can say what you want, but for me it was always a very apperant difference.
  • Options
    The devs plan not to officially support a separate RP server.
    There may be a de facto RP server, but you shouldn't expect an official RP server.
    We've got 2 years to go, though... so they might change their minds.
  • Options
    Do you realize how much time imposing naming policies would take of the GM's?  They are saving themselves a big headache by not having this. 

These guys are role players themselves and they want role play everywhere, and they are providing areas in the game to encourage that.  Be satisified that you can try to pick an unofficial RP server, but don't be surprised if role play is found on almost every server.

• Options
    Their actual stated goal in one of their streams was to have RP throughout all the servers, coexisting with all other facets of the game. It is their hope that they're creating a game world that will be conducive to as full immersion as possible.

While it is probably that the RP community will designate "a" server as the unofficial RP server, I can well see IS's stance on this, and their hopes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Paint me ignorant, I do not know that it is a huge hazzle, I did not realise that there are that many people calling themselves pu**yslayerxXx
    I don't even play with names on and honestly why would you as an rper care for floating names? People use different names in rp anyway when the game doesn't provide them the means they need or due to death circumstances and reusing characters.
    Anyway, my point is, names and nameconventions are just not a reason for or against it, since it is not a driving force for an rp community, don't get hung up on it.

An rpish feel in an immersive world through base interactions, is not the same as having an active and concentrated rp community enjoying an immersive world. People rp in the worst enviorments simply because they enjoy it and work around it.
    Having a game that has an rp friendly enviorment may attract them, but that does not by any means make the day to day activity filled with rp interactions. The rp community is not that large to give an overall chat tune to a server when they are spread out.

Honestly everyone who delves into rp knows the dread of a spread out community. No forumbuilding and drumsounding unofficial try will ever have the same effect as one tag on one server that says [roleplaying].
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
     These guys are role players themselves and they want role play everywhere, and they are providing areas in the game to encourage that.  Be satisified that you can try to pick an unofficial RP server, but don't be surprised if role play is found on almost every server.

they are not role players. i don't think they stated that. And to be honest, Steven doesn't strikes me as an roleplayer but more of a gamer. Which is fine.
    But roleplayers are different to other gamers. 
  • Options
    Steven is a classic RPer.
    He is not a "theatre RPer".
  • Options
    Anyone who plays a MMORPG is a roleplayer to some extent I mean it's in the title role playing games
  • Options
    Steven is someone who plays a game where he controls a character which is his role in the game, but he uses the avatar only as an extansion of himself, still communicating as himself. An RPGer, a RolePlayGamer

A Roleplayer is someone who controls a avatar as if it was a real person in that universe and it's own person, but not you the player. this would be a RolePlayer
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Steven is someone who plays a game where he controls a character which is his role in the game, but he uses the avatar only as an extansion of himself, still communicating as himself. An RPGer, a RolePlayGamer
    I consider that to be a gamer.
    A Roleplayer is someone who controls a avatar as if it was a real person in that universe and it's own person, but not you the player. this would be a RolePlayer
    I consider that to be an RPer.

And then there are the "theatre RPers" who treat MMORPGs like virtual world LARPing - with GMs and narration of objects and scenarios that don't actually exist in that virtual world:
    GM: "You see a silver apple on the ground."
    Dygz: /claps "Oh, I wonder who could have dropped that apple here?"
    Dygz: /picks up apple.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven's vision is that all  interpretations of roleplayer will have fun playing on all the servers. He doesn't want to "split the playerbase".

I think Steven thinks of himself as an RPer, but I haven't actually sen him play, so I don't really know. His vision seems to be:
    1: Gamers will just ignore RPing.
    2: RPers can RP anywhere.
    3: Ashes will have spaces, like taverns, where people who wish can engage in "theatre RP."

• Options

That's quite the talent you have there @Dygz for Theatre RP my friend ;). I'll look for you and your apple in the tavern one day. ^^

• Options
    The question is why is it silver?
  • Options
    It's not an apple at all.....It's a magic......bauble!
  • Options
    @Dygz
    well...to be honest the discussion of who/whats RP is as old as the first people who called themself roleplayers
    By your differentiation i consider RPers and theatre RPer and LARPers as the same. I'm myself a RPer but not always. Diablo is an ARPG but i'm not a RPer in that game but a gamer. Final Fantasy is an JRPG, but im not Rper there ether. I was an RPer in some MMOs, in others not
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I've never heard of people RPing at all in ARPGs.

I consider myself an RPer. I stay in character as much as possible - though, my avatars' personalities are pretty close to my own personality, so it doesn't take much to RP.
    Primary difference is I nudge people to use the pronouns and names appropriate for my avatar rather than my player name.
    All you really have to do is talk about what's happening around you in the world as if you're the character and rarely talk about real world stuff. That is basic RP.

Gamers simply ignore RPing. They focus on the most efficient ways to kill stuff.
    And will talk freely about real world topics.

Theatre RPers and virtual world LARPers are the same thing. They create theatre within the the virtual world - invisible props and narrated scripts, etc.

I'm not sure anyone is always one thing on the gamer/VWLARP spectrum.

The discussion might be old. But, I only even learned that "theatre RP" was a thing in 2014 during Landmark Early Access.
    And I've been playing MMORPGs for 20 years.
  • Options
    i never heard the term theatre RP before either. Though the interacting with non visible things is pretty standard for RP. the closest i would consider theatre RP are RP-Plots, most of the time with a dedicated GM but sometimes even without one
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I've played on RP servers and they tend to be low populated and never that heavy into RP.    Yes you do have some who try to stick with the RP but the servers quickly fill with non RP people and the general chats are no different then any other server.  General chats are usually easy to turn off,
    Games such as this where community play is emphasized tend to have a nice blend of RP.  Many solo players and some guilds  invent their own background stories and follow their own RP agenda as they explore the world and mingle with others.  
    If you find some names offensive put them on ignore and don't invite them to group.  Simple and it works for the most part. 

If you meet a stranger out in the world or in town, greet them as you RP. You might be surprised when they greet you the same way.   It's all what you put into it.  

CylverRayne
    (SilverRain)