Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be RP realms?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    @AutumnWillow

HELMET FUNNY IN THROAT.

HARD EAT. METAL CORNFLAKE.

THOUGHT TEETH WEAK.
  • Options
    Cyreph said:
    Where's the agree/disagree buttons when we need it?  :D
    Those are just crutches you'll have to learn to be less reliant on.

*searches for insightful button to click on self. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dygz said:

All I said was that theatre RP is different than the norm. You are the one adding negativity to that.
    Theatre RP is a minority - we agree. Being a minority is not inherently "abnormal". Being different from the norm is not inherently "abnormal".

Being different from the norm is literally "abnormal", by stating in your definition (opinion?) that one form of role-play is "normal" while one isn't normal. Well. I hope you can understand howthat can ruffle some feathers. 

Regular rp vs. Theater rp? Heh. Totally new terms to me.

Whatever it is, while I don't necessarily agree with your definitions of normal, or role-play. I do agree with you totally that everyone should be free to RP as they want and I'll just ignore someone if they're doing something different from what I have in mind. 

If there is an RP server in my region, I'll definitely roll on it and RP in a manner that makes me comfortable. There will be times where it might be closer to @Dygz 's idea of normal, other times if I'm in the mood it'll be closer to @Megs '. 

As long as no one tells me how I should be RPing... I'm peachy. :wink:
    Being different from the norm is not normal. Not normal is neutral.

Being different from the norm can also be called abnormal - but abnormal also has a negative connotation.

abnormal

1. :  deviating from the normal or average a person with abnormal [=exceptional] strength abnormal powers of concentration; often :  unusual in an unwelcome or problematic way abnormal behavior abnormal test results

People can focus on the negative connotation of abnormal if they wish - but it's not what I've implied by stating that something is not normal.
    I did not use the term abnormal to describe theatre RP. Nor would I use the term abnormal to describe theatre RP because the term abnormal includes a negative connotation which can be misconstrued from my neutral stance that theatre RP is different than normal RP.

If I were stating that theatre RP is negative, I would explicitly state it, rather than implicitly state it. And I would use stronger negative terms that could not be misconstrued as neutral.

Being different from the norm should not ruffle feathers. Being different from the majority should not ruffle feathers. Different from normal is neutral.
    But, sure, I will change "normal RP" to "vanilla RP" if that makes it easier to swallow.

Play the way you like to play.

• Options
    Dygz said: 
    You can see the invisible apple if you want to -but that is a minority- as you admitted. Not most.
    a clarification that's bugging me...

When I mentioned a minority I was talking about roleplayers, those who would stand up and happily say, yes I role play, rather than those such as yourself who just rp because of the mechanics of a staged game...

They are a minority group in mmo's it barely touches the radar of most mmorpg gamers... so when I say that most role-players out the can see that invisible Apple, I'm talking about from that minority...  

Of the few who role play at all.... I have never yet meet one who wouldn't engage actively with the story I'm telling, I have never met a role play guild our there who would call me insane.

Ok, so you have a different opinion. Sorry but I think that if you can make up a back story, I am justified in making up an Apple.

You continue to comment on threads repeating your view and arguing against the idea of role-playing servers..... but all we want is a place where we can role play and not be judged as insane...

Reading some of your posts regarding this topic, there's very little that you contribute that's a new or interesting idea....

You bought up insanity.
    You bought up 'normal'
    You made up a classification for us.
    You posted a comment like this:
    Dygz said:
    It's going to be interesting to see how well theatre RPers are maintain their fan-fiction enactments in the midst of the rest of the server attempting to achieve their normal RP objectives.

It's not constructive or friendly, your vocal opinions are negative and coming across as nothing more than an attempt to prevent positive players from .... as intrepid would put it... "playing how they would like."

To paraphrase yourself, it's going to be interesting to see what constructiveness you can bring to the table.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Just had a thought that might be a better explanation of why I believe you don't get the role play community.

If you meet me in game, and I claim to be a thief, not a mugger, will you treat me as if I'm insane?
    From the conversations I've seen, there isn't going to be a mechanic in game for theft, so your options are:

1 -Have your character take my word for it.....even though theft just doesn't exist in this world so to even imply that I can is stupid?

2 -Take my word for it, because even though you know it can't technically happen, YOU can imagine it?

3 - Call me insane and a whole community of people as not normal.... aka abnormal, (and your dictionary definition backs up our ascertation that abnormal was implied)

1= Role play!  Welcome to the community, I'm happy you can now SEE the Apple.

2 = In this case you need to open your mind. So a theft is possible, but being the liches grandma isn't? you are limiting your fun.

3 = Playing only within the physical game universe, playing only with the given mechanics and only playing a game. This is limited role playing, this is just embellishing your game. And this thread isn't aimed at you, one post should be enough to get your opinion across constructively without passive aggressiveness
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Megs
    I get the roleplaying community perfectly fine.

If my character meets your character and your character claims to be a thief or a mugger, my character will take their word for it either way.
    If your character claims to be a god or the sibling of a god, my character will act like your character is delusional.
    If your character claims that someone standing with us is currently mugging your character and there is no visible evidence that they are mugging your character, my character will act like your character is delusional.
    If your character claims to be currently stealing stuff and there is no evidence that you're character is currently stealing stuff, my character will either ignore that or comment that your character must be really good at it because my character can't see your character stealing stuff.

There is no in-game mechanic for players directly stealing/pickpocketing other players' stuff.
    Theft could apply to attacking caravans and stealing the goods.
    We have already seen video footage of the Predator stealing an artifact in the Art of War video.
    So, we know that thieves exist. We know that it's possible for player characters to visually demonstrate theft or other activities associated with thieves using the assets and mechanics the game provides, rather than resorting to engaging in theatrical fan-fiction in real-time - especially rather than resorting to a GM narrating some invisible theft in real-time.

My character can imagine your character being the mother of Fippy Darkpaw - that won't make it true within the context of the game world.
    My character will not take your character's word for being the mother of Fippy Darkpaw. My character would very likely treat your character as insane/delusional.

I might call you, the player you, insane if you cannot separate character interactions from player interactions.
    I've already told you this in previous posts, so you should not be still bringing it up:
    My character treating your character as insane is not the same thing as me, the player, treating another player as insane for roleplaying however they like to roleplay.

You can theatre RP to your heart's content. You can roleplay insane/delusional characters to your heart's content. That does not intrinsically make you, the player, insane or delusional.
    People who theatre RP are not intrinsically insane - even if they roleplay their characters as if the characters are insane. It's just a playstyle.
    A minority subset of the roleplaying playstyle.
    Play the way you like to play.
    I am not limiting my fun. I also am not limiting your fun.

I am a strong advocate of having one separate PvE-Only server with PvP combat turned off ( even though it's highly unlikely to happen). And when I discuss that I differentiate between that server and the normal servers. Same thing for an RP server. Even if the devs provided a separate RP server -which is highly unlikely- that server would be inherently different than the normal servers. 
    You could call it an abnormal server if you wish. I wouldn't call it an abnormal server because the word abnormal includes the connotation of "in a way that is undesirable or worrying". If the devs choose to give theatre RPers their own server, great!
    Theatre RP is fine for the people who enjoy it.
    Hardcore challenge/hardcore time gameplay is also fine for the people who enjoy it, even though most players are some form of casual player - either:
    hardcore challenge/casual time
    casual challenge/hardcore time or
    casual challenge/casual time
    The fact that hardcore challenge/hardcore time is a minority subset of players doesn't make the playstyle objectively undesirable or worrying. It's just a playstyle that is currently different from the norm in MMORPGs.

You are the one who is focused on presenting theatre RP as "objectively undesirable and worrying" simply because it's a minority subset of roleplaying in MMORPGs. That's all you; not me. Project all you like.
    That's just your imagination.

1: I don't see invisible apples. You can imagine invisible apples if you wish.

2: I am not going to open my mind to delusions - my characters won't do so in the form of theatre RP in the game just like I would not open my mind to you being the mother of Fippy Darkpaw IRL.
    In Ashes, theft is possible to demonstrate while your charcter being the mother of Fippy Darkpaw is not demonstrable. Nor is your character being the grandma of Arthas Menethil.

I brought up insanity within the game world - that's right. If your characters act like they are insane in the game by talking about stuff that can't be seen and can't be shown to be happening, my character will treat them like they are insane.
    I expect you to be able to separate characters from players.

An RP realm - the topic of this thread- would be different from the normal realms.
    An RP server would be different than the normal servers.
    You can call the RP server abnormal if you wish. I would not call the RP server abnormal. And RP server would merely be different than the normal server - for me, there would be nothing objectively undesirable or worrying about having an RP server for the folk who love theatre RP.
    Nothing worrying about being different. Your mileage may vary.

3: You get to feel however you like to feel about "limited roleplay".
    I am not forcing you to limit your roleplay. You get to roleplay however you like.
    You get to have fun roleplaying differently than I roleplay.
    You get to have fun roleplaying differently than other people roleplay.
    Even as a minority subset of roleplayers hoping for a separate server dedicated to theatre RP.

The thread is on a public forum. It's aimed at everyone.
    The topic of the thread is: Will There Be Separate RP Realms?
    The current dev answer is no.
    Steven stated that instead of separate servers, the people who like to do that will have space for it in inns and taverns. Which, to me, alludes to theatre RP - with a GM and narration and invisible props, etc.
    Regular, "limited" RP doesn't require designated spaces to RP. You just play the roles of your characters using the assets and mechanics and events the game world provides.
    No need to imagine an event where a non-existent spider demon is attacking the town - just react in character when a spider demon actually does attack a nearby town.
    In Ashes, imagining an event where a non-existent spider demon is attacking a town will not be normal/common gameplay. It will not be normal/common roleplay.
    There will not be a separate RP realm for players who enjoy imagining events where a non-existent spider demon is attacking a town.

That doesn't mean you can't imagine and act out an event where a non-existent spider demon is attacking a town on the normal servers - current dev plans are for to Ashes officially only have normal servers. 
    If my character encounters your character trying to defend the town from a non-existent spider demon, my character will respond as if your character is insane.
    And that will be different than me, the player, treating you, the player, as insane for wanting to play however it is you like to play.
    This ain't rocket science. You shouldn't be struggling so hard to comprehend what I'm saying.

You don't have to share my playstyle values, but you should be able to accurately mirror them back, rather than continually failing to accurately mirror my views back.

I am being friendly.
    We can disagree and not share the same playstyle values and still be friendly.
    My views are neutral. You can twist them into being negative if you wish, but that's on you.

• Options
    ...... is this still going on.  Well looks like I need to cast a spell 

• Options
    nagash said:

Raise the religion thread from the dead? Lol. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I give up, I wanted to help you to understand that the roleplay world that is out there is not as you seem to think it is. 

You think I don't understand your point of view, I don't have to parrot it back at you to understand it, I do know your point of view and having had this discussion I also know a lot more about your personality and how it reacts than you might be aware of;  I just believe strongly that you're wrong about a lot of things, I just wish that you could open your eyes and stop being so vocally negative about points of view that are different from your own. 

You do your roleplay in the 'limited, prop only' way that you want, meanwhile, myself and the rest of the roleplay community will create stories of wonder and amazement that surpass the limitations of a fixed pixel environment. 

• Options
    nagash said:

Raise the religion thread from the dead? Lol. 
    some things should stay dead
  • Options
    Yes guys it's still going on, because it's important. *Le sigh*

• Options
    edited June 2017
    You do need to be able to mirror back what I've said accurately to demonstrate that you understand my perspective, instead of continuing to fail at accurately mirroring back my persspective.
    At that point, it's easy enough to respect that we roleplay differently and that roleplaying differently is OK.
    I am not being negative. You are taking my neutral comments and then paraphrasing them with your own negative twists and then acting like I've actually said what you imagine I've said.

Megs said:
    You do your roleplay in the 'limited, prop only' way that you want, meanwhile, myself and the rest of the roleplay community will create stories of wonder and amazement that surpass the limitations of a fixed pixel environment. 
    Ah. Yep. I have said just that many times throughout this thread.
    I've told you many times that we agree on that: 
    The regular, "limited" RPers will RP their way and the minority "theatre" RPers will RP their way. In Ashes, both camps will be playing on the same "normal" servers rather than the devs designating a separate server for the theatre RPers.
    And yet, you keep complaining that I'm being negative.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    You do need to be able to mirror back what I've said accurately to demonstrate that you understand my perspective, instead of continuing to fail at accurately mirroring back my persspective.
    At that point, it's easy enough to respect that we roleplay differently and that roleplaying differently is OK.
    I am not being negative. You are taking my neutral comments and then paraphrasing them with your own negative twists and then acting like I've actually said what you imagine I've said.

Megs said:
    Ah. Yep. I have said just that many times throughout this thread.
    I've told you many times that we agree on that: 
    The regular, "limited" RPers will RP their way and the minority "theatre" RPers will RP their way. In Ashes, both camps will be playing on the same "normal" servers rather than the devs designating a separate server for the theatre RPers.
    And yet, you keep complaining that I'm being negative.

In order to mirror back what your prospective is it has to be clearly conveyed, right now from my prospective you are writing one thing while saying that you are writing something else. To me I get the feeling that you are being negative to what I would call 'normal' rp (if I was forced to use that term.)

Personally I do not believe that there is a 'normal' way to rp, but rather there is different types of rp, staged, non-staged, DMed, non-DMed,  LARPing, etc... I myself prefer to rp fully immersed with no dm/gm using what I have in game as props, and improvising when I find the games mechanics are lacking.
  • Options
    Staged and DMed RP seems synonymous with "theatre RP".
    Non-staged, non-DMed RP seems synonymous with "normal RP".
    Sure.

• Options
    It's almost guaranteed someone has already said this but no, Steven stated he wanted role players to mix with the general population. Role players are a gift, we must cherish them. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    LIGHT RP.

HEAVY RP.

UMJI HELP SUMMARY.

FINISH.
  • Options
    Elder said:
    It's almost guaranteed someone has already said this but no, Steven stated he wanted role players to mix with the general population. Role players are a gift, we must cherish them. 

Yeah, I recall that as well, something about currently not having plans for RP servers. Steven mentioned something about the community coming to a consensus to decide on one server being the RP community but that it won't be dictated by the developers. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Dygz, you have me the very strong impression that you were done with this conversation, so rather than address your issues, I respected you and finished myself.

Why are you still endeavoring to communicate with me when you have made absolutely no attempts to understand any point of view than your own?
  • Options
    @Dygz Having another argument i see. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Honestly even if they would consider RP realms being separate, I wouldn't want that. Separate RP realms often end up in a close to dead state with limited economy due to the lack of players, also it's way harder to find a group there for the same reason. 

I believe it's better to have realms with no separation between them (PvX), because you can always find a community/guild to RP with, but you can't build a well-developed economy from scratch by yourself.
  • Options
    *wanders down the road thinking she's been this way before*
  • Options
    take the red pill it helps
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I took both
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Megs said:
    @Dygz, you gave me the very strong impression that you were done with this conversation, so rather than address your issues, I respected you and finished myself.

Why are you still endeavoring to communicate with me when you have made absolutely no attempts to understand any point of view than your own?
    lmao
    1:  You wrote: Yes guys it's still going on, because it's important. *Le sigh*
         I agree with that, so I responded.

2:  I understand your point of view. You roleplay differently than I do. That is OK.
         You wrote: You do your roleplay in the 'limited, prop only' way that you want, meanwhile, myself and the rest of the roleplay community will create stories of wonder and amazement that surpass the limitations of a fixed pixel environment.
    Again, I agreed with you.

3:  Ninja Shadow wrote: 
    there [are] different types of rp: staged, non-staged, DMed, non-DMed
    And I agreed with him.

If you continue to tag me, I will probably continue to respond to what you say.
    So, the real question is, "Why are you, Megs, still endeavoring to communicate with me, if you don't want to communicate with me?"
    I am not forcing you to tag me.

(I don't no why you got the strong impression that I was done with the conversation though. You are the one who wrote "I give up". Not I.)
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I took both
    never cross the pills
  • Options
    Elder said:
    @Dygz Having another argument i see. 
    Same thing we do everyday, Elder!
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    I took both
    never cross the pills

But not crossing them isn't as fun, besides isn't the teem mixing pills?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Lilem said:
    I believe it's better to have realms with no separation between them (PvX), because you can always find a community/guild to RP with.....
    Sadly that's not been my personal experience..
     I have found rp servers to actually be amongst the busiest as players who prefer a more mature gaming environment also tend to head there rpers or not.

As to being able to find a community, because of negativity and lack of acceptance, those if us who are keen on immersive , interactive rp tend to go underground.... it can be really hard to find anyone on line....

As I've mentioned before, the damage done to my brain means that my natural introvercy is exacerbated, no-one wants a drama llama or rage machine, so I really struggle, even at the best of times to meet and get involved with strangers....

Which is why I'm determined to help create, initiate and build a strong, positive, constructive role play community here....

I think that everyone who rps should be able to be accepted by the community, but also they should be thinking about if there is anything they personally can do to make it the best rp mmo ever....  even better than LOTRO....

I'm going to be getting events running, plot lines and stories going for people to get involved in, but having something to unite the community, such as a server would be better.

I still feel strongly that given their comments to date,  intrepid isn't going to be able to fully understand the needs of the community, I feel that if we don't get given a dedicated to server (no...we don't need a moderator to deal with it, we can self police), then they are more likely to promote and keep rpers if as a community we could have an official rp liaison (community nominated, a volunteer) to discuss any issues.

And no, I don't expect that to happen.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Pointing out the diversity of roleplaying playstyles is neither positive nor negative.
    It is neutral. 

Megs said:
    I feel that if we don't get given a dedicated to server then they are more likely to promote and keep rpers if as a community we could have an official rp liaison to discuss any issues.
    I couldn't understand the intended message so, I'm going to attempt to calrify? Maybe you could rephrase for us if I don't get it right?

"I feel that if the devs don't give us a dedicated RP server, we will be better able to promote and keep RPers as a community if we could have an official dev RP liason to discuss any issues."

Or if Megs doesn't want to respond... is that what other people understood Megs to mean?
  • Options
    .*..................searches in the red and blue pill bag."