Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be RP realms?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    @Megs

I think RP is wonderful for those who want to participate.  Sorry you can't have your own separate world if that is what you want.  I think it would be an injustice to everyone else if they gave you your own world.  People need to see other styles  of playing.  You could be a good influence on others especially younger people.
    Also I think Ashes is the type of game that  would help RP's grow stronger in community due to the nature of the game.  I think it's a good opportunity for you and everyone.  I also think I am probably not at my best atm trying to explain what I mean. lol 

I know also for all those who would meet you in game and try to greet you in a RP fashion should be another feather in your cap.  You have a chance to influence others in a good way.   

• Options
    You don't have to have an rp server to rp right? It's not like all players on an rp server openly RPs anyway. 

So why split up the population? I'm not trying to dismiss the need for rp players... Just the need for an rp specific server. 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    You don't have to have an rp server to rp right? It's not like all players on an rp server openly RPs anyway. 

So why split up the population? I'm not trying to dismiss the need for rp players... Just the need for an rp specific server. 

No you don't need a specific rp server,   but actually by not designating one, I've seen roleplayers split amongst servers and really struggle to find active to rp with, and end up giving up entirely.

You said it yourself, not all the rpers are visible openly rping, a large number end up in guild related rp events only. They're basically invisible. Others are just there for the great community.

Yes you can make unofficial ones, but there are several rp communities over the internet that don't always coordinate the same unofficial one.

The other reason it'd be nice is that not everyone understands rp and views us as one step away from furries or insane, so rpers often get their enjoyment stopped by griefers or lollers, yeah we can ignore them, but a designated server weeds out a lot of them.

But no, they aren't essential and we will work with what we get.:)

Right and now to the irritant in my side.
    Dygz.
    As I did not address my last statement to yourself, (nor the one about 'because it's important ' this was in response to nagash.
    it's clear that you have one communication style and are inflexible with those who communicate in different ways.

Whilst, I still feel you bring value to this community and game, your lack of flexibility and the fact you appear more interested in the process of communication (oh I out foxed them, I have better logic) rather than being able to emphatically move towards resolution, has given impression that 

A: you are unable to be flexible or to consider other ways than yours might be worthwhile.
    B: you just don't care about others opinions

Just an impression mind, but because of this I really don't feel any point in discussing any topic with you. You lecture your points, not discuss

You may feel it's necessary to parrot phrases to show understanding, I felt there was no need to SHOW my understanding without you even attempting to understand mine

I.e. that the language you use is negative and undermining of several rp styles that are different from your own.

I doubt that I will be the last person you interact with.... and judging by the comment saying your causing arguments again...am not the first person with whom you will have a communication clash. 
    Hint, the trick is to meet people half way rather than belittle them.

As to words being neutral, please, I'm sure that if you were a student of linguistics like myself you would be aware that every word is more than just a sound, they have many layers of meanings, and to not get into arguments it helps to understand all the meanings before putting them into an environment like a forum, without the body language or tone of voice to clearly indicate your true intent.

If you use a word that had multiple meanings, don't be upset if the one that someone picks isn't the same as yours, and if they're upset by it, as I and others on the thread clearly have been, then don't turn to attack and blame them for ' having issues', no the mature way to respond would be to calmly try to understand where YOU may have gone wrong then apologise.

As to my meaning on that last comment, the one in which you dragged me back into this again.... 

I feel that if the role play community cannot have a designated server then they would benefit from having a roleplayer,
     some one who represents the whole rp community 'normal' or 'theatre' (*spits to clean her mouth out*) alike,
    Representing and being able to liaise with intrepid.

It's my personal view that Steven wants an active immersive rp community, that he wants to walk into a woodland clearing and seeing druids in a ritual, but that he doesn't actually understand the difficulties the role players can face or how delicate the community is.
    Our that he wants everyone to be able to play in their own style, but is unaware of how all the role players play.

I'm sorry that I communicate differently from you enough that you didn't understand it, but don't worry, you can just make it my fault again.

Now please, I am asking that you do not discuss topic with me again

• Options
    Not splitting up among servers is just a matter of coordination. And to me it really looks more like splitting the population, which is a hindrance. Also if there are PvX servers with no dedicated RP servers, some onlookers might engage in RP even if previously they had no interest in it whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Megs
     roflmao
    Sure. You get to win. You are 100% correct.
    Have a great weekend!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    *Runs around the thread in joy, handing out invisible apples to everyone*

Trust in the apples guys  #theapplesarereal
  • Options
    Megs said:
    *Runs around the thread in joy, handing out invisible apples to everyone*

Trust in the apples guys  #theapplesarereal
    RPers are very welcome to invade the oceanic servers down here :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    What ever server my guild decides to go to I will engage in some RP, not all the time, but when the opportunity presents.  
  • Options
    I'm afraid I'm a bit confused ... why is it necessary to relegate RP to "this type" and "that type" and so on? For me, RP has always been situational, not scripted, but I still feel that I RP, and the ones who script theirs RP, and that's just that.

Seems to me splitting hairs over this is finding yet more ways to divide, rather than just sayin' "There's all types of RP available!"
  • Options
    Isende said:
    I'm afraid I'm a bit confused ... why is it necessary to relegate RP to "this type" and "that type" and so on? For me, RP has always been situational, not scripted, but I still feel that I RP, and the ones who script theirs RP, and that's just that.

Seems to me splitting hairs over this is finding yet more ways to divide, rather than just sayin' "There's all types of RP available!"
    I think the majority of people here are in agreement with you, RP is RP no reason to label someone as this or that just have fun. 
  • Options
    Division and diversity are OK.
    Not everyone is the same. And that is OK.

"Limited RP" does not require a separate server or a designated space. You just relate to the existing world as your character would. And keep OOC chat to a minimum.

"Staged RP" may require a designated space where everyone agrees to play along with the imagined event. Kinda like the Emperor's New Clothes.
    People engaging in "staged RP" may find it disruptive to have characters deny the reality of their imagined events.

People who restrict themselves to "limited RP" often wonder why an RP server or RP realm is even necessary because it's easy enough to stay in character anywhere you are in the game world.

There actually are different perspectives - different playstyles of RP which have different needs. 
    My "limited RP" doesn't need to be promoted and doesn't need an RP liaison.
    Megs' "staged RP" apparently benefits from having a designated space, promotion and an RP liaison.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    *slices the apples into nice pieces*

well, interesting how that thread evolved after just bringing up an apple.

RP will be RP. RPers will emote their non-ingame apples and bring their Avatars to such live they could be a Character from the Story. Non-RPers will shake their heads in disbelieve about that pretend-to-be acting of the RPers.

It's nothing different, or new from what we are familiar with. But it also will not stop us RPing to our hearts content.

*bites into a apple slice*

And if it does, well there is still @nagash who RPes his necromantic Forum-Lich
  • Options
    Isende said:

That was kinda what I was hinting at myself earlier
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Enrif said:
    *slices the apples into nice pieces*

well, interesting how that thread evolved after just bringing up an apple.

RP will be RP. RPers will emote their non-ingame apples and bring their Avatars to such live they could be a Character from the Story. Non-RPers will shake their heads in disbelieve about that pretend-to-be acting of the RPers.

It's nothing different, or new from what we are familiar with. But it also will not stop us RPing to our hearts content.

*bites into a apple slice*

And if it does, well there is still @nagash who RPes his necromantic Forum-Lich
    "Theatre" RPers will do that. Yes.
    "Limited" RPers won't.

@nagash is demonstrably a lich.
    That is just regular RP; not "theatre" RP...yet.
    (dunno if he's doing "theatre" RP in a designated RP thread)
  • Options
    I...I'm a furry  :'(  

But since we probably won't get a RP server I highly recommend anyone interested in RP (No matter how you RP) to check out http://aocrp.shivtr.com/ It's a little slow right now but I'd imagine it will pick up once Intrepid releases some lore!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    delete
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    delete

• Options
    edited June 2017
    delete

• Options

RP servers have always been among the more highly populated communities, when it comes to servers.  Not just because RP'ers flock to them, but because the atmosphere is generally less toxic, than on other servers.  RP'ers are, for the most part, very helpful and mature individuals, who also tend to be less competitive than their non-RP peers.  
    Completely agree.
  • Options

RP servers have always been among the more highly populated communities, when it comes to servers.  Not just because RP'ers flock to them, but because the atmosphere is generally less toxic, than on other servers.  RP'ers are, for the most part, very helpful and mature individuals, who also tend to be less competitive than their non-RP peers.  
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    Isende said:

Ah. There's that horrid "h" word ... hinting.

I'm afraid I'm about as subtle as a sledgehammer, lol! But I did feel this particular thought needed some extra ... oomph? So, I oomphed.
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Isende said:

Ah. There's that horrid "h" word ... hinting.

I'm afraid I'm about as subtle as a sledgehammer, lol! But I did feel this particular thought needed some extra ... oomph? So, I oomphed.
    I don't blame you I felt somewhat the same but just didn't want to get into a long discussion on the matter lol
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Rivest said:
    I...I'm a furry  :'(  

But since we probably won't get a RP server I highly recommend anyone interested in RP (No matter how you RP) to check out http://aocrp.shivtr.com/ It's a little slow right now but I'd imagine it will pick up once Intrepid releases some lore!
    i'm not registering there, but could someone who is, ask why they took that forum provider? from me experience many rp communities use enjin (http://www.eso-rp.com/)(http://www.swtor-rp.com/)(http://www.tsw-rp.com/ etc).

It's still early enough to switch provider

Edit: and since i'm a little bit bored today i started to mock up something. tell me if you like the visual look better

https://aoc-rp.enjin.com/

i have absolute no clue about website building but will do my best. maybe the guy's from aocrp.shivtr.com will come over and and help me/take over?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    took me a good afternoon, but i'm quite happy with the result

aoc-rp.enjin.com
    (great thin is, i can still change the aoc-rp to aocrp, or ashesrp, ashes-rp, depending on what we deem is the best shortcut for it!)

would the RP Community feel at home at such a place? And would the people already on aocrp.shivtr.com consider to swap?