Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be RP realms?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Delete
  • Options
    Ashes of Creation RP site http://aocrp.shivtr.com/   Find the rp Discord on the site and join everyone!
  • Options
    UMJI HEAR NO. WE HAVE TO MAKE IT ON OWN.
  • Options
    I highly suggest the RP community of this game stays strong in their choice of which server they wish to go to, and not just simply bands together but hold their ground against those who wish to grief or troll RP. When I say hold their ground, I simply mean ignoring and not giving attention to those that wish to harm the scene in the making. Speaking from experience in World of Warcraft which has a strong RP community now central on two servers when in the past there were several (Mainly RPPvP servers) RP hubs that flourished for a decent amount of time... These RP realms diminished and died out due to low percentages of players that roleplayed compared to the number of people that purely PvP and PvE, griefing that occurred and could of been better handled by the community as a whole and individuals, and lastly not having a similar community stance on RP Etiquette.

While it might be too soon to assume Ashes of Creations dynamics, I have the strong feeling that with PvP, PvE and Crafting all working in tandem with each other to create Cities, Open Dungeons, Start Wars, and move the game... RP is going to be overlooked. No, one could not say there needs to be RP'ed politics to start guild wars and siege situations as those will probably be directives of the big named guilds to open up new areas purely out of the necessity to open up new nodes for more content possibly as fast as possible. Gold farmers and people who like playing stocks in the Economic Markets will still stand there at the Auctioneer doing their thing while chatting it up in General Chat, nothing wrong with it... But it is neither for nor against RP. If you have not too many for a certain playstyle in a server, you will find that playstyle lacking, not fun, and ultimately not worth the -hassle- of promoting it. 

TBH I would -love- to see at least one server dedicated to RP that has the community preforming actions for RP'ed reasons with someone controlling the DM board like a Loremaster of sorts, this would be my dream. It is a big request to have a game equal out the importance of RP, PvP, PvE and Economy, to be frank and I for one couldn't ask Intrepid to do for this game... It would have to be purely Community created and strong-armed. However, I believe it is possible to have RP'ers Rp 'on the sidelines' like in World of Warcraft; Roleplaying in major cities or outside in the world without purposely interacting with PvP and PvE aspects.

People RP for the Drama; it is fun, or even exciting to see ones character develop from what occurs to them and the only means of exciting change is usually a life changing interaction or event that is orchestrated or randomly occurs.  This game, Ashes of Creation, has a lot of change that is suppose to occur dynamically and develops the land around the players wants and needs... I think this is a perfect game to test the 'will' of an RP community and it should be taken advantage of in the beginning of the release. 
  • Options
    It's going to be interesting to see how well theatre RPers are maintain their fan-fiction enactments in the midst of the rest of the server attempting to achieve their normal RP objectives.
  • Options
    Vailoen said:
    I hope they at least give us one separate server for role play focus, buy we'll see.
    We are the community, There is nothing stopping a community getting together to do this. Regardless of if the devs make it "official"
  • Options
    I try to find good RPers since I buy and download so much RP based sandboxes (medieval or fantasy for preference) but still it's a dying specie everyone just want to troll or fuck your progress up just because you were on his sight .... 
  • Options
    Start a guild early based on RP. It's not my thing but I like the variety in the community.

For me... You may know me as the troll hunter/Pker. I don't like bullies and I feed my vampire-like thirst by hunting them rather than the innocent
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    It's going to be interesting to see how well theatre RPers are maintain their fan-fiction enactments in the midst of the rest of the server attempting to achieve their normal RP objectives.
    Man maybe is because I just got home from 10 hours of working in 90 degree weather but this really seems passive aggressive to me...

But ignoring that "Theatre RPers" as you so wonderfully label us will either flourish and create great stories and have our own fun or will dry up like a tumbleweed. It's really going to depend on us the players having the coordination to all settle on the same server. As long as we do that Rpers will RP we'll find caves, mountains, forests what ever our stories call for and we'll ignore those who want to cause trouble and welcome those who want to participate even if they've never tried RP before.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    What is passive aggressive about saying something will be interesting to watch?
    It will either flourish or fail. And either way, it will be interesting to watch.
    Same is going to be true for those us trying to do the same for a "PvE" server.

RPers will RP anywhere they are. No need for a separate server.
    Theatre RPers can be interrupted.
  • Options
    "Theatre RPers are maintain their fan-fiction enactments"  <- theatre, fan-fiction, enactments. all implies that our RP is fake or not as good as what ever your definition of "normal RP" is.

"rest of the server" <- First assumes everyone on the server would be a RPer, second paints "Theatre Rpers" as a outcast group. 

"normal RP objectives." <- Normal implies that other RP is abnormal or lesser.

This is just what I picked up on, and as I said it could be the fatigue making me look for things not there. 

But either way Rpers are a small group of people in games nowadays. We don't need to label or split ourselves as "theatre Rpers" or "Normal Rpers" in the end we all RP and we should just call it RP and Rpers.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I am simply distinguishing between theatre RP and normal/non-theatre RP.
    I am explicitly stating difference. A difference which motivates people to ask for a separate space where their playstyle can play uninterrupted.

Normal implies that there are other forms of RP that are different from the norm/majority of RPers.
    Theatre RP is different than regular/normal RP. Regular/normal RP can't be interrupted - it can only be ignored. And can be done anywhere in game without the need of a separate server.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dygz please understand your attitude to rp is NOT the norm, and actually is undermining the efforts of an already stigmatized minority group to be accepted by the mainstream. 

We understand your views on roleplay and accept them and give you the freedom to rp your way, but please stop negatively implying and degenerating what you appear to feel driven to label as 'theatre-rp' and please understand that we don't think of of ourselves as 'insane' like you do.

And NO, we're not interrupted by LOLrs and Griefers, as you ignore our ability to use our imaginations, we just ignore them.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Megs
    My attitude toward RP is the norm.
    Theatre RP is a minority. We agree.

I'm not stopping anyone from engaging in theatre RP.
    There is no negative implication. You get to roleplay however you wish to roleplay.
    And, hopefully you will be able to carve out a space to do so to your heart's content.

I have never said that I, the player, think that theatre RPers are insane.
    I said that my characters treat other characters who talk about non-existent objects and non-existent actions in the virtual world as if they are insane or, like OOC chat, my characters ignore it.
    I roleplay what can actually be captured by video.
    Anything that can't be captured by video gets ignored.
    If you want to engage in invisible pantomime, i'm not going to stop you...I'm just not going to participate...unless we're roleplaying a theatre production.

If you don't get interrupted, you certainly don't need a separate server.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dear Dygz
    If you choose to believe in only the character backstory that a game gives you and nothing else. ....

If you choose to believe that YOUR character is the one and only hero who saved the world, rather than just one of many who did exactly the same thing..

If you choose to only roleplay that which can be captured by video...i.e. that your character sprang from nowhere and was born a grown adult into the world with pre formed skill abilities and had no need to ever learn anything outside of that universe, such as walking, talking...

If you choose to not use your imagination for anything that dies not exist in the game universe, such as going to the toilet or sex....

If you choose to believe that the ONLY 'real' things in that game universe are the pixillated items you can see and touch..... 

Then that isn't any kind of roleplay, what you are doing is just 'playing the game'.

By being so vocal, and so very wrong, you are perpetuating a negative prejudice that role players aren't normal.

You DID say role players who chose to interact with 'invisible apples' were insane, your words not mine.

In decades of rp I have never heard of 'theatre' rp before, look at any game and their rp guild recruitment page and you'll see 'light' or 'heavy' rp.

Why is there any need to lable and continue to insist one type (your way) is normal and the other not?

I thought the world was getting a more open mind about not pidgeonholing people as 'ab-normal'

I think you are an intelligent man with more than a lot of common sense, so why can you not challenge your own view on this matter, given that so many different people are reacting exactly the same way, on do many different rp thread, about your narrow minded views over what roleplay is and what it requires to flourish?

If you can accept that there is another version of things, could them you kindly stop telling people that their way is wrong, because whether you mean to or not, that is what you do, every time you comment.

We know what you think, and we value your opinion, but your view holds us back, it doesn't raise us up.

It is not US that are the 'theatre' role players, you have your stage (the game), and your stage directions (quests and emotes)....

The role-playing is about more, we are the playwrites, the dreamers and the imagineers, we create that which DOES NOT EXIST and if you could only stop undermining what we are trying to achieve here, you might be able to appreciate that and actually BENEFIT from it in game

Nmp.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Who said anything about my characters believing that they are the only heroes to save the world?
    My characters act in real time to complete the quests that are available. And my participation in those quests can be recorded and demonstrated.

My characters don't go around bragging about how they killed Fippy Darkpaw.
    They might complain about once being defeated by Fippy Darkpaw and tell a tale of revenge...defeating Fippy in a battle which didn't include death. Especially, since Fippy will still be alive.

Sharing backstories is generally regular RP; not theatre RP.
    Theatre RP is having a GM narrate fanfiction in real-time with non-existent props, etc.
    I suppose it depends on how outlandish the backstories are, though.

If you walk up to me IRL and start talking about having a black eye that I am unable to see, or how you are King Tut's natural mother...I'm either going to treat you like you're insane or ignore you. My characters in the game will react similarly if your character starts talking to my characters about invisible corpses on the ground nearby or silver apples nearby that cannot be seen or having a black eye that I can't see or being King Tut's natural mother or being Fippy Darkpaw's natural mother.

Your characters are free to use their imaginations, just as people are free to use their imaginations in the real world. But if your characters start acting like their imaginations are "reality" in the virtual world when clearly it's just their imagination that there is an invisible corpse on the ground nearby or that they are Fippy Darkpaw's mother, my characters will treat them exactly the same as if you walked up to me IRL and started talking about invisible corpses on the ground nearby or sying that you are Fippy Darkpaw's mother.

Why would you bring up intelligence and ask me to challenge my view.
    We don't have to share the same views.
    If you like to theatre RP, I'm not going to stop you from engaging in theatre RP.
    Again, same as in real life. You can talk about being Fippy Darkpaw's natural mother all you want. You can talk about invisible corpses all you want. I don't have to participate.

I have not once said that theatre RP is wrong. All I've said is that it is different from playing the role of the character as if it's living in the world that we have - rather than acting as if there is some non-existent alternate reality.

You continue to demonstrate that you don't know what I think because you cannot correctly mirror back what I've stated. You are the one using the word ab-normal.
    All I said was that theatre RP is different than the norm. You are the one adding negativity to that.
    Theatre RP is a minority - we agree. Being a minority is not inherently "abnormal". Being different from the norm is not inherently "abnormal".

My view does not prevent you from doing what you do.
    If you want to talk about invisible corpses, you get to talk about invisible corpses.
    You can talk about stuff that doesn't exist in the game all you want.
    My characters will either ignore that or state that it doesn't exist.
    Just like I would in real life.

If I am on a stage in a movie and characters are talking about invisible corpses on the ground nearby, my characters are going to respond as if a character is talking about invisible corpses. "Where? There ain't nothin' there."
    If I am on stage in a theatre and some character suddenly starts talking about being the mother of Fippy Darkpaw, my character is going to either ignore them or act like the character is insane.
    If whatever is happening in real time can't be recorded, it doesn't exist. And my characters will behave as if it doesn't exist. Same as OOC talk.
    My characters will tbehave like Steve Trevor in the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movie until your character can demonstrate the reality of what your character is saying in the game - using the available game assets.

If you are the playwrights, then that is theatre RP. And we, again, agree.
    There is no undermining. I'm just not actively participating in that form of RP - unless you're literally RPing perfomring a theatre production.

Theatre RP holds no benefit for me.
    But, if you enjoy it, have fun.
    You get to play the way you like to play.
  • Options
  • Options
    You say that sharing back stories is integral to rp.....and seem happy to make you're own up, but unable to accept actions else's back story......

Don't you see where that's contradictory?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I didn't say that sharing backstories is integral to RP. I said that it's generally regular RP, rather than theatre RP.
    Theatre RP takes place in real time. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    You are of course right, you have your strong narrow minded opinion that you have continually shown to be that you obviously can not understand that pidgeonholing, or making up names for things such as 'theatre rp'  and dehumanizing something by bringing up 'insane' and classifying something add 'normal'  our not could ever in the slightest be negative or have negative implications.

Ask I was asking was could you stop pushing views that the 'role play' community do not hold. Sorry, but when it comes to rp it's your view that's not the norm of the role play community.

I'd give you examples of how such negative comments and opinions can occur in real life with negative effects, but bringing sexism or racism into this topic would be wrong, but those are the kind of views for elsewhere.

I am sorry that you seem to be very short sighted and narrow minded on the topic of rp.

The point of this whole thread is that those of us who want to make the game better and advance it for rp are asking to be allowed to do that. Please stop undermining our point of view.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    General regular rp = sharing back stories.
    I'm sorry I (understandably) translated that as integral
  • Options
    And the existence of normal rp  that you keep going on about means that there must therefore be ab-normal, I'm sorry that you seen to believe that all true role players are such
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    And you still got it wrong.
    General, regular RP does not equal sharing backstories.
    People can and do  engage in regular RP without ever sharing backstories.
    Rather sharing backstories -when people do share backstories- is just a sub-activity that would fall under regular RP. Generally.

If the backstory is so outlandish that it includes being Fippy Darkpaw's mother, that would be theatre RP.
    Generally theatre RP happens in real time - and includes narration and invisible props.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So you are saying that all you ever 'rp' about is what has happened to your toon in game?
    1000 other people then have exactly the same back story.
    If you understand that you can....Wait for it.... MAKE UP your own back story, you are implying that other people's imaginations for their own back stories are valid.

If that is the case, then go ahead, limit yourself to only what your own view feels could happen in the world..., don't get to see the vivid world and extra layers that rp can bring, but most of us here can SEE that invisible Apple, so please please keep comments constructive in future and avoid using negative made up phrases such as theatre rp, or normal rp
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'm saying that if your character tells my character that your grandmother was kidnapped by the Lich King and turned into an undead skeleton - that is feasible enough that my character will accept that. That could be true for all my character would be able to tell. That is not an outlandish tale.
    That falls under regular RP.

If your character is telling me that the Lich King is standing right next to us and has summoned an invisible horde of undead and has turned you into an undead skeleton, but there is no evidence of the Lich King being nearby nor is there evidence of a horde of skeletons, nor is there evidence that you are a skeleton -beyond your imagination- that is theatre RP and my character will act as if your character is insane.
    If your character is telling me that they are the sibling of the Lich King, that is theatre RP enough that I will probably ignore it.

I am willing to miss out on your "vivid world of imagination" same as I would be willing to miss out on it if you started telling me you are Fippy Darkpaw's mother IRL.
    You can see the invisible apple if you want to -but that is a minority- as you admitted. Not most.

My comments are constructive. I just call a spade a spade.
    You are the one adding negative connotations to my neutral statements.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ALL RP IS KIND OF THEATRE. THEATRE IS BIG RP.

ALL GOOD ENTERTAIN. STORY GOOD.

USE STORY MAKE AOC TASK MORE MEANING.

LISTEN INTERESTED. WALK OUT TAVERN IF NO.

THANK FOR INVISIBLE APPLE. TASTY.

• Options
    Dygz said:

All I said was that theatre RP is different than the norm. You are the one adding negativity to that.
    Theatre RP is a minority - we agree. Being a minority is not inherently "abnormal". Being different from the norm is not inherently "abnormal".

Being different from the norm is literally "abnormal", by stating in your definition (opinion?) that one form of role-play is "normal" while one isn't normal. Well. I hope you can understand howthat can ruffle some feathers. 

Regular rp vs. Theater rp? Heh. Totally new terms to me.

Whatever it is, while I don't necessarily agree with your definitions of normal, or role-play. I do agree with you totally that everyone should be free to RP as they want and I'll just ignore someone if they're doing something different from what I have in mind. 

If there is an RP server in my region, I'll definitely roll on it and RP in a manner that makes me comfortable. There will be times where it might be closer to @Dygz 's idea of normal, other times if I'm in the mood it'll be closer to @Megs '. 

As long as no one tells me how I should be RPing... I'm peachy. :wink:
  • Options
    Umji said:
    ALL RP IS KIND OF THEATRE. THEATRE IS BIG RP.

ALL GOOD ENTERTAIN. STORIES GOOD.

USE STORY MAKE AOC TASK MORE MEANING.

LISTEN INTERESTED. WALK OUT TAVERN IF NO.

THANK FOR INVISIBLE APPLE. TASTY.

That invisible apple is actually @Mags' helmet @Umji. Put the helmet down... or what's left of it at least.

*quickly pulls @Umji out of the tavern. 
  • Options
    Where's the agree/disagree buttons when we need it?  :D