Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What most concerns you about Ashes current development?

Ashes of Creation is in early in development, but I know people have concerns about the direction of the game.  Was wondering what concerns most people about the game at this stage.

I know for me it is raiding and competitive PvE content.
Post below what your guys' concerns are!

This post is mostly so I can see the communities worries and research them on my own. Maybe come up with questions for the next Q&A!

Comments

• Options
    Raid Content and the Sieges. Everythign large scale
  • Options
    I'm just worried content will be to easy, open world pvp will be limited/punished, and how well UE4 is gonna handle hundreds of characters at once.
  • Options
    The combat concerns me most at this stage. They seem to have scrapped the quick time combat bar event, but have yet to replace it with anything. As it stands, the combat looks slow paced and dull, just cycling through a skill bar like any other generic mmo.
  • Options
    Combat. Combat. Combat.

What style of combat will we have? How fast will it be? How much of it will be action or tab target! Will it be fluid? Will it require skill? Will it be a spam fest? 

At the current stage, we, of course, give I.S the benefit of the doubt! It's not easy to create an MMO, that, I understand.

• Options
    Chudyie said:
    Combat. Combat. Combat.

What style of combat will we have? How fast will it be? How much of it will be action or tab target! Will it be fluid? Will it require skill? Will it be a spam fest? 

At the current stage, we, of course, give I.S the benefit of the doubt! It's not easy to create an MMO, that, I understand.

I agree with this because we're going to be spending a lot of time in combat.

Crafting, the economy (stock market), player vendors, are a close second

Third is will the core game encourage the community to interact with each other in meaningful ways.  Too many of todays games are 'solo' MMOs, lol.
    Will there be meaningful and 'important' things for guilds to do?

Basically if you look at the game, for me the order of importance corresponds directly to the percentage of in-game time most players will be spending on any particular aspect.
  • Options
    Basically Unreal Engine 4, I've heard so many bad things about it. Also that we haven't been updated at all about naval combat!
  • Options
    Open world pvp and how the corruption system will work with it.

I love going out and having fight's with random guilds, just cause with no real objective. my fear is how the corruption system will tie into this sort of thing.... 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    the release date looks too tight to fit all of the things they planned to do. I'm concerned we might get a rushed out or incomplete thing in the end just to meet the deadline. I know they keep saying they are on schedule, but I'm basing myself on what they have showed. They still have to start devleoping the other half of the archetypes, Naval Content, artisan and Social Progresion paths. Plus optimization and fixing of all the bugs that will show up during testing.
  • Options
    The core game will be ready for launch. Most of the stretch goals added during KS will be ready for launch. They will NOT delay launch for stretch goals, but instead add them later. Core mechanics can and will change after launch.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm well aware of what they say and I really want to believe them I'm just a little concerned deep inside. I'm basing myself off of what I've seen, which is not the same as what you've seen as an A0 participant so I'm most likely wrong and you are right due to my lack of information. I really hope it stays as just that, a concern and doesn't become a reality.
  • Options
    I really hope they can find a good balance between the clases. Games with one OP class, which everyone plays, are such a boring thing.
  • Options
    Show, don't tell. Sums up my concerns for the most part, but that comes with time.

Something more feasible is my concern for API support, theory crafting, for me, is part of the mmorpg game and high end understanding on how stats work in itself and the bigger picture.
    I assume, with how the crafting is presented, that we will have a wide variety of stats and combinations of those.
    Being able to test around and get accurate feedback on those test is a must. No matter your teams size, if you plan to actually provide a lot of possible combinations no one will be better at testing than several hundred to thousand life players who aim to find the best sweet spot of stat combination.
    Let people find the "dreaded" "cookie cutter" and work with it to bring us a truly well balanced wide variety instead of a bloated "20.000" possible choices but only 8 that work at all for difficult content.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    To be honest, I don't worry over much.

I have faith in Intrepid, but I've also built up a healthy dose of apathy toward gaming hype in general. I feel people build up games in their mind, hoping the next MMO they find is the "perfect" one that "checks all their boxes" and history had shown me perfection is the enemy of good. 

An MMO is more about the community than gameplay for me. I really like this community, so already my greatest worry is quelled a bit. It's why I get so huffy over toxic people :)

I guess if the game has crap combat I'll be sad, but I've spent hours of fun playing with a stick, so as long as I'm having fun with fun people, I'm set.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    How big the world and map is to me personally it don't look massive. 
    And all the big things they promised. 

For me it more  the fact that so many mmorpg have fales in the past when I was looking forward to  them. What makes you think AOC will be different may just be all hype.

How ever I do believe in  AOC and  they will deliver a epic game that will change MMORPG all we can do is hope/wait till releases and support and love them :) 👍 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Just an update for people not wanting to read walls of text:
    Raid Content x2
    Sieges
    Large Scale Events
    Unreal Engine 4 x2
    Combat x3
    Crafting
    Stock Market
    Player Vendors
    Open World PvP
    Corruption System
    Release Date being too soon
    Class Balance x2
    API Support
    World Map size
    Too much Hype x2

Have been concerns issued so far.

Raid Content and Sieges for me I just need more information on, the same follows for crafting, the stock market, player vendors, and class balance.

Combat I don't worry as much about because although it is a huge part of the game the combat system to me is something I can handle being mediocre if the game itself has plenty of enjoyable content.

Open world PvP and the Corruption system have quite a bit of information on them it seems, and there are talks of guild wars from what I understand but I'm sure you know that @Shunex

Release Date being too soon sorta worries me but since this game will probably have a pretty low progression rate early, I assume that they will have plenty of time to implement stuff as people play in the early times.

API support would be great, I know I theory craft plenty, and since they stated that they are leaning away from having any form of DPS meter, which I still disagree with, it would be nice to have some way to still theory craft. 

UE4 doesn't worry me too much since they seem too only be using it on the front end the back end is coming from Intrepid, so I as long as they do stress testing it should be just fine.
  • Options
    Nothing.

Its far too early in the process to worry.    

Worrying about Ashes at this point in time is like chewing bubble gum to solve an algebra equation.

Lets just chillax about it and see what comes in a few more months development.  
  • Options
    The community. Too many people are worried about things that we have years of testing to explore. 
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    Nothing.

Its far too early in the process to worry.    

Worrying about Ashes at this point in time is like chewing bubble gum to solve an algebra equation.

Lets just chillax about it and see what comes in a few more months development.  
    Yes yes yes yes yes. 

Wish more  people would have this view. 
  • Options
    Kalez said:
    The community. Too many people are worried about things that we have years of testing to explore. 
    Can't help it man I'm putting all my faith on Ashes after countless disappointments from all the mmos I've played (Archeage, WoW, ESO, BDO, Tera, FFXIV) D:
  • Options
    Greek said:
    Just an update for people not wanting to read walls of text:
    Raid Content x2
    Sieges
    Large Scale Events
    Unreal Engine 4 x2
    Combat x3
    Crafting
    Stock Market
    Player Vendors
    Open World PvP
    Corruption System
    Release Date being too soon
    Class Balance x2
    API Support
    World Map size
    Too much Hype x2

Have been concerns issued so far.

Raid Content and Sieges for me I just need more information on, the same follows for crafting, the stock market, player vendors, and class balance.

Combat I don't worry as much about because although it is a huge part of the game the combat system to me is something I can handle being mediocre if the game itself has plenty of enjoyable content.

Open world PvP and the Corruption system have quite a bit of information on them it seems, and there are talks of guild wars from what I understand but I'm sure you know that @Shunex

Release Date being too soon sorta worries me but since this game will probably have a pretty low progression rate early, I assume that they will have plenty of time to implement stuff as people play in the early times.

API support would be great, I know I theory craft plenty, and since they stated that they are leaning away from having any form of DPS meter, which I still disagree with, it would be nice to have some way to still theory craft. 

UE4 doesn't worry me too much since they seem too only be using it on the front end the back end is coming from Intrepid, so I as long as they do stress testing it should be just fine.
    I agree they have a fair bit of information regarding guild wars, but it's one of the only thing's that are of concern to me atm lol
  • Options
    Raid content is my first please have more than 2 to 3 raids and make them range from 10 to the 40man(scary 40 man) and 2nd is the game itself, ive binged watched the live streams now and I have a feeling unless they take another 2 years to make this they may have bitten off wayyyyyy more than they can chew a (Wow Cata) type of game. I dont want this but taking to long to put a game out will also hurt them so this brings me up to my 3rd concern. Which is patches and content to be released to us if things are not released to us at launch dont give it to us at all but give it to us in monthly patches something to look forward to.
  • Options
    oh also not alt friendly.
  • Options
    Doomfett said:
    dw on that one they said it will be alt-friendly :smile:

from thelazypeon Livestream during KS 

• Options
    Unless Ashes nails everyone's idea MMO 100%, I think those who put all their hope on it's release will be disappointed. When they are disappointed and lash out into the community all of their grief, that will concern me.
  • Options
    Shunex said:
    Doomfett said:
    dw on that one they said it will be alt-friendly :smile:

from thelazypeon Livestream during KS 

just b/c they say it will be doesnt mean it will be, seen lots of games saying oh i have 10 lv 15s and im doing fine not talking about that type of alts talking about hey i want to prgress on 3 toons that i really love and cant really happen.
  • Options
    Well this is going to be big. TLDR version:
    1. They have no idea about sieges
    2. City government is laughable
    3. Economy (once more info comes out)
    4. Servers (because using the server stability as a weapon)

My biggest gripe is the player agency part of the game. I think combat is whatever as people seem to have unrealistic expectations, as most either is going to be generic, stupid, or giving you carpal tunnel. I prefer the generic mmo combat, as it really is the foundation of most mmo's that is tried and tested over the silly qte's they are implementing.

Sieges: Concerned that they really don't have a concrete plan, as it sounds like it is going to be instanced. Talks of having a timer and collecting resources, but on top of that do a silly quest to initiate the siege? Then this idea of making it play out like domination from first person shooters with the respawns. Tons of mmo's they could take ideas from like Age of Conan, Eve online, Warhammer Online,and etc that would not make sieges not so artificial. I honestly think this is the one thing they are going to definitely fail at, because currently it is is vague who is going to benefit the most from the sieges. let alone silly mechanics.

City government: Unrealistic period. He wants to prevent guild leaders from running the metropolises and have these weird elections to see who is going to run them. I can tell you this isn't going to work period. No person with an IQ of at least 90 is going to allow a random person to participate in the election process that isn't apart of any of the guilds that runs the territory. I already knew that most of the current governments he (Steven) was talking about initially like military or scientific was going to be a no go, and almost everyone is going to go economic. They don't seem to have a firm grasp of meta gaming in pvp sense.

Currently I see the team they currently have as being very good in anything pve (mainly because I am not knowledgeable in this area). But everything dealing with macro level pvp, it seems like they never really worked out the mechanics, which is why I suspect they avoided talking anymore in the blog regarding sieges. Because after reading the blog in regards to Cities and their ideas in regards to sieges I had to say wtf are they thinking.

Economics are a slight concern as I really haven't heard anything (unless someone here wants to enlighten me so I can criticize that as well) about it and so I will wait before I take another dump on the studio.

I am also very curious to hear about how many players that their servers are going to be able to support. I already suspect the numbers to be small if they are talking about multiple servers. If I had to guess what would happen in the future post launch is that they will use server stability as a weapon like they did in Eve to win battles/wars.
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    3. Economy (once more info comes out)
    4. Servers (because using the server stability as a weapon)

My biggest gripe is the player agency part of the game. I think combat is whatever as people seem to have unrealistic expectations, as most either is going to be generic, stupid, or giving you carpal tunnel. I prefer the generic mmo combat, as it really is the foundation of most mmo's that is tried and tested over the silly qte's they are implementing.

Sieges: Concerned that they really don't have a concrete plan, as it sounds like it is going to be instanced. Talks of having a timer and collecting resources, but on top of that do a silly quest to initiate the siege? Then this idea of making it play out like domination from first person shooters with the respawns. Tons of mmo's they could take ideas from like Age of Conan, Eve online, Warhammer Online,and etc that would not make sieges not so artificial. I honestly think this is the one thing they are going to definitely fail at, because currently it is is vague who is going to benefit the most from the sieges. let alone silly mechanics.

City government: Unrealistic period. He wants to prevent guild leaders from running the metropolises and have these weird elections to see who is going to run them. I can tell you this isn't going to work period. No person with an IQ of at least 90 is going to allow a random person to participate in the election process that isn't apart of any of the guilds that runs the territory. I already knew that most of the current governments he (Steven) was talking about initially like military or scientific was going to be a no go, and almost everyone is going to go economic. They don't seem to have a firm grasp of meta gaming in pvp sense.

Currently I see the team they currently have as being very good in anything pve (mainly because I am not knowledgeable in this area). But everything dealing with macro level pvp, it seems like they never really worked out the mechanics, which is why I suspect they avoided talking anymore in the blog regarding sieges. Because after reading the blog in regards to Cities and their ideas in regards to sieges I had to say wtf are they thinking.

Economics are a slight concern as I really haven't heard anything (unless someone here wants to enlighten me so I can criticize that as well) about it and so I will wait before I take another dump on the studio.

I am also very curious to hear about how many players that their servers are going to be able to support. I already suspect the numbers to be small if they are talking about multiple servers. If I had to guess what would happen in the future post launch is that they will use server stability as a weapon like they did in Eve to win battles/wars.
    This sounds like u are just not happy with the game. Have faith sir.
  • Options
    TL/DR
    1. Haven't even seen a live siege, game is 1+ year(s) out, so why worry?
    2. City government has not really been covered yet, but not guild heavy, so sorry guilds will struggle to control cities and nobody in a guild will ever have a chance.
    3. Economy, they hired an economist and it hasn't been discussed yet.
    4. Servers, like all MMO's, it will take a minute to figure out the right balance.

So, although no real concrete anything has been shown for a siege and the game is a year+ out you think they are going to fail?
    You are not happy with the requirements of gathering resources and doing a mini-quest to siege a city?
    Should anyone just be allowed to do it just cause? Like in sooo many survival games?

City government won't work because a guild isn't involved? Wow, okay.
    I mean, it's not like a single guild will be able to maintain a metropolis by itself (assuming guild cap 300 +1 maybe 2 allegiances). As for a random person, just because someone runs a guild that doesn't mean everyone is going to think they are cool enough to run their home town.
    If a guild wants full control of the town then those that can't participate in government at the level they want to because "no guild member" they will move. That won't help maintain all the resources needed.

Worried about macro PvP because not much has been done yet. Again, 1+ year from release so...

Economics? They hired an economist to help them with that as a foundation to the game.

Sounds like you are unhappy about a game that hasn't been released yet. I am sorry you have these worries. To me it sounds like your concerns can be summed up into just these;
    1. Guilds won't have all the power
    2. Lack of research
    3. Development timeline

I hope you stick around and give Ashes a chance, you might like it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I think my biggest worry is around the node system.

I'm worried that nodes will eventually become static because there isn't enough to do with them. I'm want there to be an upkeep or something that keeps us active and encourages us to trade with or attack other nodes. The talk of the node services leaders can activate gives me hope but I worry a little that nodes will be able to keep them active with taxes alone. 

I'm also worried that there wont be enough reasons to attack another node. 

Tomoyuki said:
    1. Sieges aren't instanced. I think you have taken their high level description of sieges way too seriously. 
    2. The node system is open but there is nothing about it that is supposed to prevent organized players from controlling them. I don't know where you got this idea that he wants to prevent guilds from running them.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @Doomfett Seems like any criticism in this forum makes people think you must be unhappy. I am just pointing out my opinion and I am still waiting. Others has also pointed out similar stuff, I just wrote my concerns with some detail.

Azathoth said:
    #1:     So, although no real concrete anything has been shown for a siege and the game is a year+ out you think they are going to fail?
    You are not happy with the requirements of gathering resources and doing a mini-quest to siege a city?
    Should anyone just be allowed to do it just cause? Like in sooo many survival games?

#2    City government won't work because a guild isn't involved? Wow, okay.
    I mean, it's not like a single guild will be able to maintain a metropolis by itself (assuming guild cap 300 +1 maybe 2 allegiances). As for a random person, just because someone runs a guild that doesn't mean everyone is going to think they are cool enough to run their home town.
    If a guild wants full control of the town then those that can't participate in government at the level they want to because "no guild member" they will move. That won't help maintain all the resources needed.

#3  Worried about macro PvP because not much has been done yet. Again, 1+ year from release so...

#4  Economics? They hired an economist to help them with that as a foundation to the game.

#5  Sounds like you are unhappy about a game that hasn't been released yet. I am sorry you have these worries. To me it sounds like your concerns can be summed up into just these;
    1. Guilds won't have all the power
    2. Lack of research
    3. Development timeline

I hope you stick around and give Ashes a chance, you might like it.
    1. Well if we are going to go off the tidbits of all the info that has been discussed, then yes it can be brought up as a concern. You make it sound like it is going to be an easy system, which I think they won't get it right and I expect the game to be released by 2021. Actually, I know that gathering resources for doing a siege is already pretty intensive. I only believe this from actual experience from previous MMO's, but the fact you referenced survival games says enough. I am actually perfectly okay with the gathering of resources and hope that it is a high amount as it actually helps keep* the economy booming. I still see the quest as trivial and a bit silly that I need the blessing of Cthulhu to have a casus belli. 
    2. Well the fact that already kind of based on Feudalism I would say yes, but someone already put up a thread on this forum and I went into detail already and this is general concerns thread.
    3. Again like question #1 it is not an easy system to implement that would make it so trivial, but you seem to think that for some reason. Minimum time that most MMO's take to get off the ground is 2 years if not 3 and they wanted to claim the best of both worlds (pve/pvp).
    4. Okay cool. Still doesn't mean shit to be honest if the systems doesn't support an advance economy. But like I said a minor concern and there is no info I ran into that is concrete and not speculation.
    5. Thank you for pointing out that your feelings might have been hurt I am sorry to hear that. It seems like any harsh criticism seems to elicit a "you must not be happy" response. But like I said in my welcome thread, I am here to counter the devotion. If you want to sum it up, the correct way is they should just rescind what they claimed they wanted to do and wait till like the end of this year or middle of next year. Because it doesn't do them much good when they drop vague general ideas of the systems they want to implement.

Don't worry I will definitely stick around as you said I might enjoy it. I hope you come back with an actual counter argument, only one that seemed like it was is the #2.  Your post makes me feel like you actually work for the studio or dropped a couple hundred $ as I can almost taste the venom :p. This is a discussion of a game with what concerns us most about Ashes development, no need to get defensive. It's just a video game ;).

@McStackerson I don't see this as too much of a concern as the resources should suffice enough in my opinion to invade a node. It might get static if you end up having entities like the Goons on the server or shoddy siege mechanics in the game. * added his post into discussion

*=edits