Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What most concerns you about Ashes current development?

Comments

• Options
    Biggest concern for me is probably whether or not the game will be heavily reliant on team play, I like to solo level most of the time so being restriced on things because of others is not something I'm very fond of.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

An MMO is more about the community than gameplay for me. I really like this community, so already my greatest worry is quelled a bit. It's why I get so huffy over toxic people :)

I definitely agree with this, but you're always going to have the relative 'toxic' crowd. Community is and should be a huge focus for any game, but I think its forgotten about after release.

Usually, and almost always, there's a one to two month period after release where communities fall off. People migrate back to a familiar game, as if release was just the winter season, or they completely disappear. Obviously, MMO's need to keep it's players and that, to me, means keeping the community together with group/guild-focused end game.

Let's keep the best content centered around groups and guilds! I'm personally hoping that we jump in with a focus on end game, and keep it alive so we're not bleeding players. I'm so fed up with present MMO's end game going "single player".
  • Options
    @McStackerson I apologize, didn't see your replies at the bottom of your post.

Well they have given bits and pieces with them having discussed at one point gating the amount of players entering into a district (over people's fears of zerging) I perceived it was instanced. But I am only putting down concerns, and I think most can easily be valid as it doesn't help when Steven is claiming that and core features can be put into the game after launch. That is concerning, as even how botched Rift was in their design flaws and stability issues in alpha they still had all core features promised at release.

As for guilds he has already stated (not 100% sure), that guild leaders won't be able to take part in leadership of a metropolis (perception no wiggle room). I only know from previous experience, (from pvp centric mmo's that take group effort) that guilds are going to be leaned on for the growth/defense of the city and not one guild, but more of a coalition. I don't want to derail this thread anymore over the details over a general concerns thread though, as I think I have already done a lot :|.
  • Options
    As others have already said, my major concern at this moment is how the combat will feel. That is what I look most to see, because for me it's the most important part of the game, how the actual gameplay feels.
    The general setting of the game and the graphics would be the second concern, but I think we have seen quite some work in that front which does not worry me much.
    The third most important thing I look forward is seeing how they deal with gold spammers/bots/cheaters, that usually annoys me a lot in other games, and how we interact with other players.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    1) That there will be definitive BIS items for all play styles so there's no variability or uniqueness in the players' equipment. 

2) That there will be a grind attached to achieving items. E.g. do a dungeon 50 times to get a 5% drop.

3) That the life skill economy will be static, where 1 trade route might be the go-to for everyone, much like BIS items.

But it's early days yet...these fears are unfounded right now.
  • Options
    FREAKING NOTHING  because its still PRE ALPHA   >:) 
  • Options
    I have no concerns caused by anything I have seen yet.
    Think they didn't tell yet haven't been told because they are working on it or they don't want to spoiler everything.
    Both are legit reasons so no worries there.

One thing I'm 'concerned' about because they did mention it is sharing your house/property. Now they said you can give access etc. and I think that's great but I would love to see so much more. I'm really closing with my brother and even closer in MMO's we game a lot together and even have a virtual family name to show it. So I would love to see this as a mechanic i.e. beside a guild to group up, you can also start a family. No, I'm not looking for a have children mechanic, but more like we are members of the .... family and the family owns these properties. 

So the concern is that we will not be able to set up something like that because of limitations. Even without that, I believe this will be the best MMO I will ever play and have full faith in the development.

Funny thing to notice, all a-0 players are really positive!
  • Options
    I just hope the combat will be fast paced like black desert :)
  • Options
    Let the AOC team do there work. How can you talk about making a game better when it not even out yet. 
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything that have alarmed me yet. I have full confidence in the team :) 
  • Options
    I am not worried at this stage.
    I think in the short timeframe a large amount of progress has been made. 
    What Im expecting to happen in 2018 though is for the combat mechanics and flow to evolve vastly. So if at the end of 2018 we are seeing the same methodical generic mechanics....THEN i will be a bit worried. This year for me in AOC speak  is the year of Combat flow ! 
  • Options
    A true dedication to keeping bots and cheaters out of the game. Keep it addon and script free as well....this will help keeping the bots and cheaters out. Knocking on wood that AoC will rock my pants off.
  • Options
    How the game is going to be optimized and what will the  hardware requirements be. 
  • Options
    My main concern is the early cash shop grabs we have going on. Sure there's no p2w in them ...yet. 
    Don't flame me, it's just one of those concerns in the back of my mind with every game. 
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    @McStackerson I apologize, didn't see your replies at the bottom of your post.

Well they have given bits and pieces with them having discussed at one point gating the amount of players entering into a district (over people's fears of zerging) I perceived it was instanced. But I am only putting down concerns, and I think most can easily be valid as it doesn't help when Steven is claiming that and core features can be put into the game after launch. That is concerning, as even how botched Rift was in their design flaws and stability issues in alpha they still had all core features promised at release.

As for guilds he has already stated (not 100% sure), that guild leaders won't be able to take part in leadership of a metropolis (perception no wiggle room). I only know from previous experience, (from pvp centric mmo's that take group effort) that guilds are going to be leaned on for the growth/defense of the city and not one guild, but more of a coalition. I don't want to derail this thread anymore over the details over a general concerns thread though, as I think I have already done a lot :|.
    @Tomoyuki

A healthy amount of skepticism is valid, and even warranted, when dealing with promises yet to be fulfilled.  So, I'm not going to rebuke anyone who has honest concerns.  The information we have is limited, and subject to change, seeing as how Ashes is still so early in production.  But that's how these things go; especially when you engage in crowd funding.  

That said, the words in your welcome post, portraying yourself as a "devil's advocate", are much prettier than naming yourself as a "counter to devotion".  The former is about engaging in substantive debate, while the latter sounds like a "pisser of parades".  Highly amusing, moderately confusing, yet slightly sad.   :'(

Also, from my understanding, Intrepid has stated that all CORE mechanics will be in the game by launch.  The STRETCH GOALS were the ones that would be implemented later, if they could not be ready by launch.  Whether they live up to their words remains to be seen.  I remain hopefully optimistic, mixed with a healthy dose of inquisitive pragmatism.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    My biggest concern is that players and reviewers won't be able to handle the transparent and open development process that Intrepid is using. They will bash and write off early builds as if it was a finished product, creating bad press and hurting the launch of the game.

Still kodus to the company for having the guts to be this open.

My other concern is that people are reading too much into what is being said and set themselves up for disappointment. Noone can make "your perfect MMO". Might still end up pretty good, even awesome :)

As for the development it self i am a little concerned about how well they will be able to tune the client, but not overly so. It is still early and there is a lot of talent out there with good understanding of the UE4 engine.
  • Options
    FPS and lag.  I think that will be a big problem with this game.  The graphics look great, add to that everyone will be able to customize there armor and have pets with them.  Then you go to a PVP area, where there could be 100 people on the screen.  That could really cause a FPS drop and lag.  Which really sucks for combat.

• Options
    The game seems to be progressing fairly quickly, but I am still pretty skeptical myself. I don't have any particular gripes with it YET, but that can always change.

I keep a good amount of skepticism since Destiny 1 Beta :neutral: I have been hit pretty hard by one of my favorite devs Bungie and Hello games for their flop of No Man's Lie.

Just don't let this game be like them and I will be a happy murderous asshole ready to kill all who cross me :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Old_Wolf said:
    FPS and lag.  I think that will be a big problem with this game.  The graphics look great, add to that everyone will be able to customize there armor and have pets with them.  Then you go to a PVP area, where there could be 100 people on the screen.  That could really cause a FPS drop and lag.  Which really sucks for combat.

The performance capabilities of the cards have evolved considerably to enable better fidelity, memory and load than ever before. But its not a blank cheque. So they have said they will have degradation systems with the ability to tone down or disable many features that would be considered visual luxuries rather than necessities.

The lag side is not what people often think. Bandwidth speeds are now magnitude faster than they ever were. So netcode isn't anywhere near the problem it was and they will have ample network pathways through google server infrastructure. What will be the bottleneck is running code in parallel where parallel processing per player will not be the only bottleneck, but parallel access to any characters data in real time.

If you think about lag, you can often have 100s of player in town which wont often cause lag (just FPS drops) because every one is doing their own thing and not ironically interacting with each other like in combat.

In combat that story changes. AoE means not only must you access any player in parallel but as everyone hits everyone in parallel it becomes an exponential demand. If a players data must be accessed sequentially to guarantee concurrency and not corruption, you cant have parallel access. So that parallel code has to queue. Which is why lag goes to shit when mass AoE are going off all over the place with 100s of players...unlike the towns with even more people. Theres a work around that they are aware of. But basically the problem of players losing control over their avatar (lag) is down to the fact they are actually sharing control over its access with everyone else involved in the AoE that needs to update. You cant control your character because someone else has locked you out in effect.

A good example was ESO in the early days, when the bulk of the massive new PvP players on a massive battlefield were actually going 1v1 all over the place, rather than 1vX. So gameplay was epic without lag. Then came the zergballs built upon sharing the same space and using mutual AoE with no collisions (20+ players in the same radius of effect instead of driven apart by collision forced outside of that radius), heals, cleanses and anything else they could spam. It proved so effective for survival that everyone started balling up and roaming around instead of 1v1s. So the servers died. The number of player in one area being cut and cut and cut. The AoE targets being nerfed to try and claw back performance. But AoE was king and so nothing really changed.

I am hoping that AoE does not become the must use option and 1v1 across the battlefield is actually a thing. Otherwise it could pretty much go the same way. But I dont expect it to be a game killer with AoE caps used in conjunction with the work around.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    To be honest, I don't worry over much.

I have faith in Intrepid, but I've also built up a healthy dose of apathy toward gaming hype in general. I feel people build up games in their mind, hoping the next MMO they find is the "perfect" one that "checks all their boxes" and history had shown me perfection is the enemy of good. 

An MMO is more about the community than gameplay for me. I really like this community, so already my greatest worry is quelled a bit. It's why I get so huffy over toxic people :)

I guess if the game has crap combat I'll be sad, but I've spent hours of fun playing with a stick, so as long as I'm having fun with fun people, I'm set.

I second this.

That being said, I am concerned that my question about creating a purple Vek has not been addressed! :trollface:

I am also curious as to how racials traits will be in this game, is it worth long term Min/Max?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Xombie said:

I second this.

That being said, I am concerned that my question about creating a purple Vek has not been addressed! :trollface:

I am also curious as to how racials traits will be in this game, is it worth long term Min/Max?
    Umm, I am not going wiki diving for the sources on both of those Xombie, but it you want the answers are out there.
    Purple Vek? That was answered a long time ago. Orcs will have multiple color options like skittles.
    Racials will be stat based and will have a meta. Just found this info the other day while looking for something else. So for those that absolutely must wring every single last tenth of a percentage of a stat out, there will be a "best race for this class." Found it. Timestamp 43:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2665&v=3UIqmWTGZ2k
  • Options
    Xombie said:

I second this.

Umm, I am not going wiki diving for the sources on both of those Xombie, but it you want the answers are out there.
    Purple Vek? That was answered a long time ago. Orcs will have multiple color options like skittles.
    Racials will be stat based and will have a meta. Just found this info the other day while looking for something else. So for those that absolutely must wring every single last tenth of a percentage of a stat out, there will be a "best race for this class." Found it. Timestamp 43:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2665&v=3UIqmWTGZ2k
    UnknownSystemEncylopedia strikes again! I hadn't heard the Skittles comparison before, that's exciting. I had heard about the racials, and I eagerly wait to see which races will be proficient for my glass canon builds:P
  • Options
    My main concern atm is definentally the engine that they use, but since I haven't really seen anything largescale playing out yet, I cannot say if their selfmade backend is working, so I'll just have to wait and see on that one. 
  • Options
    Toxic community sometimes. Besides that no worries.
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    Toxic community sometimes. Besides that no worries.
    Who's toxic?
  • Options
    Xombie said:

Who's toxic?

• Options
    Gothix said:
    Xombie said:

Who's toxic?

• Options
    Combat and PvP
    Although from how it looks so far, they will be garbage tier.

As for ue4:
    It's not for mmos. It will going to have heavy issues in bigger PvP battles.
    This game have great graphic so far, and ue4 is strong in this, but to bad... graphic is a thirdrate parameter of a mmo. Having laggfree gameplay on budget hardware is a much more important factor.

• Options
    MADE said:
    Combat and PvP
    Although from how it looks so far, they will be garbage tier.

As for ue4:
    It's not for mmos. It will going to have heavy issues in bigger PvP battles.
    This game have great graphic so far, and ue4 is strong in this, but to bad... graphic is a thirdrate parameter of a mmo. Having laggfree gameplay on budget hardware is a much more important factor.

Yes, because optimization is clearly impossible, and how the game looks now in pre-alpha is an adequate representation of the finished product.
  • Options
    I worry about exploring. Every MMO boasts about exploring, but when you do there is nothing to find on that random mountain top or cave. A small patch of trees with a sunken treasure or very rare crafting items behind that huge rock.