Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What most concerns you about Ashes current development?

Comments

• Options
    Gothix said:
    Sirston said:
    Map Size. currently the map size concerns me... I would want a large map for exploring and holding a large number of people in at once.

Also player housing...Please No slums around citys
    I am gonna live in a cardboard box right next to where you live just to irritate you :smile:

There is no limitation on freehold placement, so just place your freehold right next to his, make it a tavern, decorate it with slum, and invite all kind of slum to it  :p they can pee over the fence to neighboring yard when drunk, throw empty bottles over and stuff.
    time to rp as a old retired wizard yelling at kids......"Eh go cast your low level magic somewhere else!" but realistically if you played SWG you would remember how bad capitol citys slum's where. 
  • Options
    Sirston said:
    Gothix said:
    There is no limitation on freehold placement, so just place your freehold right next to his, make it a tavern, decorate it with slum, and invite all kind of slum to it  :p they can pee over the fence to neighboring yard when drunk, throw empty bottles over and stuff.
    time to rp as a old retired wizard yelling at kids......"Eh go cast your low level magic somewhere else!" but realistically if you played SWG you would remember how bad capitol's where.  
    If anyone played FFXIV , then you remember the housing system . It came a time when all the houses were sold out because they had a server limit, prices skyrocketed . Then people started to move into the less populated servers and bought houses there. Like in real life, the prices were huge and only those who had tons of money could afford a small house ..if they found any. Let's hope that it's not the case here. 
    As for my concerns : combat, world and story line , lagg . 

Servers being full affected housing!? Hopefully they put enough housing in the game for their server size... However one solution would be to make instances of multiple houses.
    Exactly . they had a certain number of in world houses and no instances. I don't know how thing are right now, because i left years back
  • Options
    @Sirston That is because SWG allowed you multiple housing plots. Ashes gives you one. There are benefits to correct placement, bonuses and such, depending on what you plan on doing with your freehold. Upkeep and maintenance are meant to be heavy so inactive structures will be rolled up quicker than others in the past. Also if there was a ring of slums around a node, people could just siege the node all the way back to level 2, and freeholds are removed at that point. With a map estimated at 30x the size of skyrim and no fast travel, the amount of empty space on a server with 8-10k people concurrent will leave you plenty of room. And finally, putting your freehold at the minimum distance from the node would not be smart, as it most likely would be one of the first ones burned and looted in the case of a successful siege of your node.

@SelinaAmell Node stage 4 the mayor has the option to build instanced apartments. Those are unlimited in number. So you have the best of both worlds, static placement with the freehold system (one per account). In node housing that increases in quality and quantity as the node levels, and instanced apartments for those that can't be bothered or can't find their "perfect spot"

• Options
    @Sirston That is because SWG allowed you multiple housing plots. Ashes gives you one. There are benefits to correct placement, bonuses and such, depending on what you plan on doing with your freehold. Upkeep and maintenance are meant to be heavy so inactive structures will be rolled up quicker than others in the past. Also if there was a ring of slums around a node, people could just siege the node all the way back to level 2, and freeholds are removed at that point. With a map estimated at 30x the size of skyrim and no fast travel, the amount of empty space on a server with 8-10k people concurrent will leave you plenty of room. And finally, putting your freehold at the minimum distance from the node would not be smart, as it most likely would be one of the first ones burned and looted in the case of a successful siege of your node.

@SelinaAmell Node stage 4 the mayor has the option to build instanced apartments. Those are unlimited in number. So you have the best of both worlds, static placement with the freehold system (one per account). In node housing that increases in quality and quantity as the node levels, and instanced apartments for those that can't be bothered or can't find their "perfect spot"

My "perfect spot" will be a random carboard box with a torch (or some fire based magic scroll or something) connected to a tripwire so it gets burnt down if someone trespasses :smile:

• Options

Our resident wise old man has spoken, take notes children!

<3@UnknownSystemError
  • Options
    Worried about large scale raids / class balance with the combinations possible.
  • Options
    Well I entirely disagree the game is an RTS because theres dungeons etc XD
  • Options
    Worried about large scale raids / class balance with the combinations possible.
    The variation from all the combinations won t be as drastic as you may be assuming. The second class will be augmenting the initial class, giving skills new flavors and utilities, but not severely altering the class overall.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I'm just worried content will be to easy, open world pvp will be limited/punished, and how well UE4 is gonna handle hundreds of characters at once.
    I agree and would ask same question
  • Options

Personally I reckon the divine metropolis will probably have the biggest teeth of all.
    They will probably have a god at their back, and divine retribution against a whole enemy node will probably be quite devastating.

What makes me say this ? This game is basically an RTS, but its at the hands of every player rather than an individual. And so many of its RTS mechanics work along the lines of Caeser or similar RTS, that I would be surprised if it did not adopt similar design principles.

You could evolve to different stages of development, You had different tiers of players with different requirement as the node progresses. There was both military, ecomonic and religious threats. Gods had to be appeased to keep them on side and not devastate you. You started from just a single node and as you built more, your current welfare depended on the state you left the previous nodes in...as you had to trade with them to prosper.

I'm skeptical about how complex they'll actually be but I do hope religion's are engaging and fun. I'm going to assume we'll likely be picking individual gods to worship and they'll each be, not only unique, but also alluring enough to compliment subjectivity. I can easily picture a god of war or a god of money, I'm personally hoping for some god that would be Shar, from D&D's, close equivalent and commensurate god of shadow magic. 
  • Options
    @Sathic There are 10 gods and 6 player religions confirmed so far.
  • Options
    @Sathic There are 10 gods and 6 player religions confirmed so far.
    Then it definitely makes sense that some gods will be potential baddies that players don't actually engage with through a religion system. I'll guess we'll find out at some point who the gods are and which ones we'll be able to worship. Since that leaves 4 potential gods that won't be a part of a particular religion, I wonder if all four will be antagonists instead.

~crosses fingers for a lady of darkness that grants me shadow themed buffs to my spells.
  • Options
    Some of the people I'd like to outplay and antagonize will be playing on EU, that's concerning I suppose.
  • Options
    xorgy said:
    I'm just worried content will be to easy, open world pvp will be limited/punished, and how well UE4 is gonna handle hundreds of characters at once.
    I agree and would ask same question
    Didnt they talk about this and said hundreds of players will work because they edited the engine coding?
  • Options
    We have plenty of test phases to get through and help optimize the experience for the masses.
  • Options
    Yep very true!
  • Options
    I suppose I could go play on EU servers, but I don't feel the need to hinder myself just for luls.
  • Options
    For me it s the recent lack of communication.During Kickstarter, we had streams just about every week. Once that ended we got streams twice a month, which soon dropped to once a month As of today, the last stream was on Feb.25th, with NO news of another one.While I realize that they are busy with the recent GDC and the upcoming PAX East,just how much time would it take to put a short note in the #news tab?
  • Options
    I do agree that is very concerning the lack of communication going around lately we can only hope it will change
  • Options
    Open development doesnt seem so open now does it ?
    Perhaps they have achieved their objective, so they are happy to remain silent now.
    Perhaps they are silent to see if the playerbase is addicted enough to stay.
    Perhaps consumer interaction simply doesnt merit a high priority now they have achieved a broad customer base.
    Perhaps they have said all they want to say for now.
  • Options
    We see a definite lack of communication of details on systems and mechanics after PAX last September. What happened last September? They released the PAX demo and people lost their frigging minds over a simple QTE mechanic. Setting themselves on fire in the town square level of whinging. So for the foreseeable future all we see coming out of livestreams for questions answered are softballs that have been answered already and statements of "We are working on that and it is going to be the best thing ever!" Who can forget when they thought a great idea was to just read off a list of skills for 50 minutes after their regular audio startup problems, take 5 minutes to answer things that already had clarification, and then peace out. Does Twitch charge if you go over an hour? They need to really drop a glut of current information next week at PAX and quell the simmering discontent that is lurking just under a thin shell of hope. We can then look back on this time and call it the PAX to PAX time of silence.
  • Options
    They have a lot on their plate with Alpha 0, Pax East, and GDC just passing. We are on schedule and they have remained transparent and openly sharing progress when the schedule allows it. Settle down, young padawans.
  • Options
    I'm not too worried honestly. A minor concern I have is that the monster coin system will not be updated with new rewards often enough to keep it relevant after players have earned the initial rewards. I hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle with all the other features and left by the way side.
  • Options
    A lot of peoples concerns will be addressed well before release.
  • Options
    watching the Feb.28 video with GMSTEVEN (does capes sure reminded me of Dark age of Lagalot ; )  and me being a old fart SK i found the respawn of those npc to be a little quick...i like to burp ,fart,/pee on my kills between fights and a little scenic admiration of the zones...oh well maybe me thats getting to old ,just dont like having the feeling of being rushed out...2-3 min. in between no ?
  • Options
    Combat, abilities and class augments. As well as the animations. Right now in the A0 footage the animations and combat are garbage. I hope they were telling the truth when they said animations were placeholder because as it is right now the general public of mmo gamers are going to see those crappy animations and write the game off right away. This transparent development is such a huge double edge sword for IS. I really hope they start showing off game systems instead of just world building because no matter how pretty and massive your world is, if your character feels clunky to play you are going to become disillusioned with how cheap things feel.
  • Options
    watching the Feb.28 video with GMSTEVEN (does capes sure reminded me of Dark age of Lagalot ; )  and me being a old fart SK i found the respawn of those npc to be a little quick...i like to burp ,fart,/pee on my kills between fights and a little scenic admiration of the zones...oh well maybe me thats getting to old ,just dont like having the feeling of being rushed out...2-3 min. in between no ?
    Pre-alpha. Everything is subject to change and what you saw in stream is nowhere near the final product.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    @Exzear

Ashes will have, last I heard from IS, a mix of tab-target and action skills you can choose from as you build/level your character to focus on the combat style you like best.

Let's hope they nail it!
    Yah tab target can work but id love to see something else.. but like you said lets just hope they nail the combat system because thats the most important thing to get right in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Tab target is glory to me
  • Options
    I'd like to see something fairly new and fresh, not quite as simplistic as tab targeting but also not so free form as action.