Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What type of gods do you want to see in ashes?

Comments

• Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Allah
    Izil.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Izil wrote: »
    Allah
    Probably not a move to bring the game the right kind of attention.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    There needs to be a Hephaestus-ish God of Artisans, if there isn't one already.
  • Options
    I just care that they match the world well. It would be nice if you could also see them in some way. I don't particularly care about the gods that you cannot see.

Diversity is important for this kind of thing and pretty much every game goes for a buddhist base for these systems.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    murlofmurlof Member
    edited December 2020
    Here are 5 general ideas for religions and maybe and some generic description on how they could translate into gameplay. I'd be happy to think of more (it's fun) but we just got new flooring to lay down and the wife could use a hand. Also, I wouldn't expect AoC to actually use these literal names, just trying to plant general ideas.

Nature/Life (Mother Earth, metaphorically): Source of all forms of life on the planet. Followers are better able to foster and utilize plants and wildlife.

Order (Themis, metaphorically): Conserve traditions, acts as a counterbalance to agitation. Followers have a firm grasp of traditional technologies (maybe more effective at traditional weaponry, more industrious and efficient when crafting traditional items, more effective when defending a node).

Collective (Queen Bee, metaphorically): Acts as a singular entity, with all followers thought of as “a people”. Uncommon ability to draw strength by coordinating as a group (bonus tax contribution, greater buffing and healing abilities of other followers).

Individualism (idk...) Cherishes individual achievement of its members. This group owes its strength to being the summation of individually strong members (has an edge in becoming proficient at their chose craft, maybe can have a broader or deeper proficiency cap, boost to dmg dealing abilities as possible examples)

Adventure/Explorer (Dragon-slayer, metaphorically?): A yearning to go into the unknown and an uncanny ability to explore, and react to surprises (stealth detection, slight edge in seeing boss mechanics, takes less damage in the first second of being attacked).
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    you do remember when I fought the ENTIRE Skaven under empire to a standstill and still had time to make the black pyramid

Oh, you mean the one my children tunneled into and blew UP.......that Black Pyramid? :*

Maybe if you had given your full attention to the battle you might have won. Luckily for you however I was not directly involved in your war with the Under Empire else it would have not been a draw. >:)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    you do remember when I fought the ENTIRE Skaven under empire to a standstill and still had time to make the black pyramid

Oh, you mean the one my children tunneled into and blew UP.......that Black Pyramid? :*

Maybe if you had given your full attention to the battle you might have won. Luckily for you however I was not directly involved in your war with the Under Empire else it would have not been a draw. >:)

it took all 13 of the lords of decay and the fellblade just to WOUND me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I want a god like Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls. Totally insane god of chaos. He tasks you with killing a monster with a dinner fork or tricking people into thinking the apocalypse is happening.

Yeah, those are the best.

For example, WoW characters are almost always extremely boring, but Bowmsandi, their version of a trickster god is by far the most entertaining one.

Even if there are no questlines or that stuff, this "grey zone" could be represented by a buff: a very strong one but with a crippling downside.That and a few tales about that god would do the trick.
  • Options
    TruthfoolTruthfool Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope we can worship the old gods, the 3 who gave knowledge to the ancients. A mechanics were evil gods could be worship in secret for instance would be even greater :)
    so much more RP to be had this way.
    But then we would need to be able to burn people or cast them away for a period of time... complicated...
    but fuuuunnnn
    Eldritch Harbingers
    We follow the truth of the True gods, wherever she leads us
  • Options
    ashoneashone Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    The following gods: law, justice, karma and perversity. not perversion, perversity. Two different things. The god of perversity would be the one that foobars things, gremlins in the making of caravans..so that the the wheel breaks at the worse possible time. You know the one that causes you to mash your thumb instead of the nail while hammering.
  • Options
    BehagueBehague Member
    edited December 2020
    Hoping to see an Elvish/Pyrian God of Elite Snobbery.
  • Options
    ashone wrote: »
    The following gods: law, justice, karma and perversity. not perversion, perversity. Two different things. The god of perversity would be the one that foobars things, gremlins in the making of caravans..so that the the wheel breaks at the worse possible time. You know the one that causes you to mash your thumb instead of the nail while hammering.
    Would he look like this?

pedobear.png

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Just out of curiosity did you ever get that crown back from sigmar?
  • Options
    Sum12hate wrote: »

Just out of curiosity did you ever get that crown back from sigmar?

Azhag the Slaughterer has it I believe
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Honestly, whichever God comes closest to Dionysus
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ariatras wrote: »

Like from the game Hades, or truer to the OG greek mythology?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options

Party hard for buffs :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Anything even remotely like Dibella from The Elder Scrolls: the goddess of beauty and pleasure.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Any word yet on a possible champion/apostle of said gods being attainable? Like top tier player of class/religion that is devoted to said God getting a special buff? IE nagash top necromancer following the god of death
  • Options
    IE nagash top necromancer following the god of death

I heard he was only 6th best, but don't say anything......
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

I thinks that's just summoner archetype over all
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

I thinks that's just summoner archetype over all
    Just wait until the plastic skeleton mask slips off one of the earth elementals that are summoned, oops!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I just hope the gods are so beyond us that right and wrong does not even apply to them

I'd personally love to see gods worshipped for crafting / beauty / battle / absolute evil / absolute good and everything in between (much like Forgotten Realms) to choose from.
    "Sleep just isn't sleep anymore. It's an escape."
  • Options
    Harcon wrote: »
    I just hope the gods are so beyond us that right and wrong does not even apply to them

I'd personally love to see gods worshipped for crafting / beauty / battle / absolute evil / absolute good and everything in between (much like Forgotten Realms) to choose from.

But what is evil and good to a god?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    ferryman wrote: »
    Have devs opened more how they want these religions affect to players, characters and to the world?

I guess I need to understand better the whole picture before making any suggestions. Really good question and less discussed I presume.

This is one element of the game that Steven Shariff has specifically stated that he wants players to experience for the very first time in the live game; there's a possibility that it may not even be in the Betas.

Yours truly highly suspects that religion will be the primary driver of the "story" of the server. We already know that there will be whole-server missions and quests, and the rate at which they are completed will be different server-to-server - and whether or not the quests were completed or failed overall, yielding potentially different consequences, such as whether or not certain dungeons are open, server-to-server.

This is one of the aesthetics that I can't wait to explore, in-game. The Nodes in-and-of themselves are an interesting and unique game-mechanic; How Religion is done in AoC is a chance to introduce another such mechanic. Special game mechanics are where MMO's should have been heading, all-along.
  • Options
    BandrailianBandrailian Member
    edited December 2020
    Based on what's been given about religions (as well as my theory-craft):

The Seven (Orders of the Seven) - The primary gods of the world and the four races
    • Order of Fate [Kaivek Orc] - Goddess of Fate (Norlan)
    • Order of Hope [Aelan Human] - God of Hope (Resna)
    • Order of Truth [Pyrian Elf] - God of Truth (Shol)
    • Goddess of Creation [Dünzenkell Dwarves?] (?)
    • Goddess of Love (?)
    • God of Time (?)
    • Goddess of Life (?)

The Other - The Betrayers or the deities of The Ancients
    • God of Knowledge (?) - The Others taught The Ancients about the negatives of The Essence
    • God of Destruction (?)
    • Goddess of Death (?)

Tulnar Religion - A mash-up of all existing religions. It was created by the mixing of generations of survivors after The Fall. It would include elements of both the Seven and the Others as they both existed prior to the calamity, but it would also encompass other religions of minor races. In addition to the 10 above there would be "pagan" gods and rituals related to the cultures of races like goblins, trolls, giants, and lizard-folk.

Okay... but now hear me out on a suggestion for a better religion: All deities can make mistakes so I suggest we abolish the practice of worshiping them and worship The Essence (True Neutral) instead! :p
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Based on what's been given about religions (as well as my theory-craft):

Okay... but now hear me out on a suggestion for a better religion: All deities can make mistakes so I suggest we abolish the practice of worshiping them and worship The Essence (True Neutral) instead! :p

Disciple: Oh great and mighty essence! I pledge my allegiance to thee!
    Essence: *flowing through space and time* Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee~
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    An Ashes equivalent of Bertoxxulous or ..Orcus.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I always thought It'd be cool if there were a sort of ticky/trickster type god. Like Shol might be the god of Truth, but perhaps the way he reveals that truth is through riddles or the Pinocchio style of lying. Perhaps that's how Shol's "evil" counterpart could be, but I think it'd be cool to have a bunch of people following this deity thinking they're being helpful when in fact they might be the opposite
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    maouw wrote: »

Like from the game Hades, or truer to the OG greek mythology?

Late response, apologies. But I don't know the game Hades.

So yes, OG mythos.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif