Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The worst possible feature in this game is the corruption

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ikcen wrote: »
    Logic :) So if they nerfed the mobs to rush the leveling curve for the new players, the AI implemented does not exist.
    It's a philosophic point.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make any sound?
    Likewise, if a mob has an AI behind it, but never stays alive long enough to show it, does it actually have that AI?

But as I said, the mobs in BDO didn't actually have any AI - they had very basic scripts. If they had an AI, their actions would have changed over time. They didn't, if you go and kill a mob now, it will behave exactly as it did 5 years ago.
    Now my noob is time to apply your candidature for president of the USA. And I'm sure you will beat all the records of the current one.
    What?

This makes no sense - from any perspective. It makes no sense as an attempted insult against me or the current holder of that office. It makes no sense as an observation. It makes no sense as a suggestion. It makes no sense as sarcasm.
    Uuuuh... no.
    So, you are saying that literally every player on a server in an MMO was in one spot killing one encounter - or fighting over that encounter - yet no one posted anything about it anywhere?

Uuuuh... no.

If this happened, there would be mention of it even now.

On the other hand, if a zero was dropped off that number, making it 300 players, I fully believe that would have happened, and that there would be no remaining record of it. This is especially true considering that the encounter in question was able to be killed by less than 20 players - 3,000 players fighting each other in the general area of that encounter would have accidentally killed it.

All of that is without even getting in to the notion that the server structure back then (of any MMO) wouldn't be able to handle that many players in one location. Server structure at the time dedicated physical hardware to geographic locations in games. While some games had some server resources that could move to boost specific areas of the game that had high traffic, no game in existence at the time was able to handle a situation where all players on the server were in the same location.

Even a game like EvE struggled with large scale fights - and they had pre-warning of what zones these fights would be in so they could allocate every piece of hardware they could to that area. That still wasn't enough - and they never had a situation where more than 10% of their online players were in one fight.

The first game that was theoretically physically able to do this was Rift - as it was the first game to allocate server resources to characters rather than to zones (a simplified explanation, but a good enough one). Sadly, at least as long as I played it, the content never game players a reason to test this out.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You want to “own” a spot and claim it for yourself, and you’re frustrated that corruption will prevent you from killing all the players that try to share, at least not without negative consequences. As a result you’re dissuaded from playing the game.

Seems to me that the corruption system is already working and the game hasn’t even been released yet. Great job, Intrepid!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Noob, there never was a 3000 players cap. Also good luck to kill Antharas with 20 players on any chronicle before Freya.

Also the server infrastructure is pretty simple - login server, game server, back up server. Nothing complicated. Now the games operate on virtual servers, with cloud technologies, that could allocate much more hardware resources.

But back in 2005 -06 L2 servers had about 5-8 thousands simultaneous players in the peaks.

And please stop trolling here if you have nothing to say about the topic. If you feel lonely and want to argue with people - well this is internet. But it is still pathetic.
    L2 had a much lower cap at it's launch than most other games, but it also put more effort in to increasing it over time.

You've still not managed to point towards anything anyone has posted on that event. I mean, 3,000 players and no one put anything up at all?

I'm sure even you don't believe that.

Your description of an MMO server is adorably cute. Though for someone that has claimed to know a thing or two about MMO's, it is disturbingly lacking. Server architecture is one of the key considerations developers need to keep in mind when designing their game - it isn't simply a case of installing the game on the game server and running it - as you seem to think is the case.

As to keeping on topic, it was you that bought up your 3,000 player attack on a 20 man raid, not me.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020
    The system still allows you to hold spawn locations with pvp just a little different than in other games.

With the corruption system, If you are the attacker, you aren't encouraged to go full ham and kill them right off the bat. On the other side, if you are the one being attacked and you don't want to fight then you are encouraged to leave as you are probably going to die if you stick around.

You only get corruption if you score the final blow so if they don't fight back and start attacking the mobs you are trying to farm, you can get them weak and let the mobs finish them. Put the death penalty on top of this, it's not worth sticking around and ignoring someone who is willing to fight.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    You want to “own” a spot and claim it for yourself, and you’re frustrated that corruption will prevent you from killing all the players that try to share, at least not without negative consequences. As a result you’re dissuaded from playing the game.

Seems to me that the corruption system is already working and the game hasn’t even been released yet. Great job, Intrepid!

No. Let assume you are slightly faster than me in the PvE - your class, higher level and etc. So predetermined conditions. With the current system you win by default. I even do not have a chance to compete. All you have to do is to make me kill your character, then I lose.

And also that corruption system can be abused. Let see what will you say when me and my mates come and start to KS your mobs :)
    See, I don’t own mobs so there’s nothing to steal from me. If you actually try to harass me in other ways, your ass will get reported.

What “competition” are you talking about in the first place? There isn’t some kind of “race” to kill more enemies faster than other players.

By the way, decent MMOs, the ones that aren’t total crap, you don’t level by grinding. That’s not a game, that’s a chore. Decent MMOs have quests and achievements and dungeons, many ways to advance. I’m not going to pick one tiny corner of the map to grind the same group of boars to slaughter over and over and lose my mind if someone else “steals” my pigs.

Honestly, and this is not a joke or trolling. The mentality you have, where you want to take and dominate an area and not let other players in, that’s fairly toxic. The corruption system is in part designed as a social engineering method to dissuade that kind of mentality and behavior. The fact that you’re bothered by it means it really is working. That’s not just snark on my part.

It sounds harsh but it is true that not everyone can be satisfied by a game, and this might just not be the game for you.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Also let say you farm somewhere, and you are faster than me in the PvE. I could start to troll you, taking shit, KS, bring more mobs to kill you, you know the full program. So you are stronger and better than me, but when you PK me, you lose.
    First to hit gets the tag last I checked so KSing isn't a thing.

I would let you pull a bunch of mobs, nuke you, hit you with a CC, and let the mobs kill you. Maybe have a chuckle and sip some tea.
  • Options

No. Let assume you are slightly faster than me in the PvE - your class, higher level and etc. So predetermined conditions. With the current system you win by default. I even do not have a chance to compete. All you have to do is to make me kill your character, then I lose.

And also that corruption system can be abused. Let see what will you say when me and my mates come and start to KS your mobs :)
    See, I don’t own mobs so there’s nothing to steal from me. If you actually try to harass me in other ways, your ass will get reported.

What “competition” are you talking about in the first place? There isn’t some kind of “race” to kill more enemies faster than other players.

By the way, decent MMOs, the ones that aren’t total crap, you don’t level by grinding. That’s not a game, that’s a chore. Decent MMOs have quests and achievements and dungeons, many ways to advance. I’m not going to pick one tiny corner of the map to grind the same group of boars to slaughter over and over and lose my mind if someone else “steals” my pigs.

Honestly, and this is not a joke or trolling. The mentality you have, where you want to take and dominate an area and not let other players in, that’s fairly toxic. The corruption system is in part designed as a social engineering method to dissuade that kind of mentality and behavior. The fact that you’re bothered by it means it really is working. That’s not just snark on my part.

It sounds harsh but it is true that not everyone can be satisfied by a game, and this might just not be the game for you.

And if my ass will be reported what? What will you do if I say I would like to make sex with your mother on a unicorn back ?
    Report you for violating the game’s conduct policies. You remember that there are rules people are supposed to follow to keep the social part of the game from becoming hostile. And there are screenshots and chat logs so you can’t deny it later.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

And if my ass will be reported what? What will you do if I say I would like to make sex with your mother on a unicorn back ?

The inference there was that if you don't do anything bad enough to warrant action being taken on your account, you aren't doing enough to concern Atama.

On the other hand, if you are doing enough to concern Atama, you are doing enough for action to be taken on your account - in which case they will report you so that action can indeed be taken on your account.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The system still allows you to hold spawn locations with pvp just a little different than in other games.

With the corruption system, If you are the attacker, you aren't encouraged to go full ham and kill them right off the bat. On the other side, if you are the one being attacked and you don't want to fight then you are encouraged to leave as you are probably going to die if you stick around.

You only get corruption if you score the final blow so if they don't fight back and start attacking the mobs you are trying to farm, you can get them weak and let the mobs finish them. Put the death penalty on top of this, it's not worth sticking around and ignoring someone who is willing to fight.

Now I will quote the master:

You can't necessarily time perfectly you know the damage or understand even the health of the player. Unless you were in their party you cannot see an opponent's health as well so that's another component that you know adds risk.[12] – Steven Sharif

Yes, you can't perfectly get them to 1% but will have a rough idea of their percent. If you played BDO, you have seen how before you have knowledge of the mobs, you see their health change colors as they get weaker, it's like that.

You will have some idea of their health percentage and if you are farming anything that does any kind of damage, it's not ridiculous to think that you can get them low so a mob can finish them off. Maybe throw in a CC or 2 to help things out.
  • Options
    It seems you do not understand what he said - there is not 1%. Also you should count the possibility of random critical hit. So you may be the best player in the world, but anyway you will lose.
    2 points - first of all there will be combat trackers. Read any one of threads on them here to understand more.

Second, even without knowing the exact health of an opponent, as pointed out, the system allows you some knowledge. You don't need to get a player down to 1%, you only really need to get them down to 25%.

If you are able to train a few mobs on to him, you don't even need to do that.
  • Options

Now I will quote the master:

You can't necessarily time perfectly you know the damage or understand even the health of the player. Unless you were in their party you cannot see an opponent's health as well so that's another component that you know adds risk.[12] – Steven Sharif

Yes, you can't perfectly get them to 1% but will have a rough idea of their percent. If you played BDO, you have seen how before you have knowledge of the mobs, you see their health change colors and they get weaker, it's like that.

You will have some idea of their health percentage and if you are farming anything that does any kind of damage, it's not ridiculous to think that you can get them low so a mob can finish them off. Maybe throw in a CC or 2 to help things out.

It seems you do not understand what he said - there is not 1%. Also you should count the possibility of random critical hit. So you may be the best player in the world, but anyway you will lose.

I've played the game so I know exactly what he is talking about. They had this system at pax. I was able to tell when someone was low. Yes, you need to be careful for the random crits when they are getting low but you should be able to get someone to ~20-30 relatively safely and let a mob finish them.
  • Options
    Now the question is, where is the reward, if after the PK you have to suicide with three or four times higher penalty and a chance to drop any carried/equipped items.
    Here is a question for you - exactly how bad is that penalty?

How many players do you need to kill before you start taking a hit to your stats?
    How many players do you need to kill before there is a chance you may drop an equipped item?
    What is the percentage chance at this point that you could drop an item?
    How many more kills do you need before that percentage chance to drop an item goes up?

Conversely.

What is the value of materials that a player can carry?
    How does that value compare to the average value of items you have equipped?

You can't answer any of these questions.

Until you can answer every single one of these questions accurately, you can't make any assumptions as to how much of a penalty the corruption system will be.

What you can (and should) do though, is look at other systems in the game - specifically the bounty hunter system.

The bounty hunter system that is being introduced is completely reliant on there being at least some players in the game gaining corruption. If Intrepid are going to add an entire system to the game that seems to have it's own progression line within it, then they will want to ensure that the people opting to take this path will always have at least some people to hunt.

So, Intrepid will always want there to be a small number of people gaining corruption and being hunted because of it. They have an actual progression path reliant on that.

If you keep this in mind, and then have another look over those questions above, those questions should all of a sudden start to look like things Ashes could alter in order to make killing people for corruption either more or less viable - as they see fit.

What we now have is a situation where the developer wants to ensure some people will gain corruption, but not too many people, and that very developer has given itself levers in the game that it can manipulate in order to influence how likely a player is to attack another player.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Wow you are toxic

Yes, corruption is a risk and the reward is usually going to be the resources they drop.

I agree with the suicide comment, it's a part of the system I think we have to figure out. I'd like it to be set up in a way where we still have a huge penalty/risk but you are still encouraged to play. As it is now, it seems like you should probably stop playing until you have cleared your corruption which, as you pointed out, encourages you to intentionally die.

The point of the system is to allow pvp but dissuade killing people who don't want to fight. In a lot of other systems, you get the penalty on attacking so you might as well kill. In ashes, you are free to start the engagement but allows the person being attacked to either respond in kind or run away. If someone wants to run, you are encouraged to let them be. This is also why the punishment is so severe and I think why people have a problem wrapping their heads around it(myself included). As I pointed out, this doesn't necessarily mean they are free to farm mobs or take resources in the area.

• Options
    By the way, decent MMOs, the ones that aren’t total crap, you don’t level by grinding. That’s not a game, that’s a chore.

Ah a solo PvE nolifer. Anyway you never played a MMO, as you cannot really play multiplayer in any game. The games are fun. Strongly suggest you to try Albion. You will hate it, but as chore it will make you suffer like no other game :)
    I’ve been playing MMOs for more than 20 years (my first was EQ in ‘99). And MUDs before then. I have lots of experience. I remember the days when the only way to advance was camping mob spawns in a group. Things have changed a lot since then. I’m glad I don’t have to play like I did in my 20s; I can’t devote that kind of time to a game anymore. :)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Well next time you play, do a PK, and write here if it is so terribly bad like it seems.
    You're the only one that thinks it is bad.

And you seem to think an MMO only needs a login server, game server and backup server to run, with no thought as to allocation of resources beyond that - so...
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    It's that time of the year again isn't it?

tenor.gif
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yes, we need to play with the system to see how it feels.

You can't really know if it would be worth it or not. There could be items, especially if they have been farming a lot, that are worth the risk to your gear. I'm pretty sure resources from world bosses would be worth the risk. Also, if you plan on pvping and know you might go corrupted, it might be smart to role around in cheaper gear that isn't as hard for you to replace.

This system is pretty easy to change at any point in development. What feature do you think is too late to change?
This discussion has been closed.