Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The worst possible feature in this game is the corruption

Comments

• Options
    ziltchziltch Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I see you ignored all of my other points, shall I take it as that you have no good counter arguments for them?
    The simplest yet hardest stat to train is Willpower.
  • Options
    Lmao this post is cringe and blue pilled
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You cannot kill your corrupted friend "multiple times". Respawn for those that die while corrupted is random. You won't be able to spawn camp your friend. You might be able to kill them once. But that is it. By the time they figure out where they are, run back to you, they will have been killed multiple times, respawning randomly each time. They show up on the mini map with a big flashing indicator that says "KILL ME!" and those with bounty hunter will have even more abilities to track them. You have spent hours and pages of REEEE talking out your nethers and still lack a basic understanding of the system. But hey, you are at least popcorn worthy. Like watching that droolcup slowly fill from height.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    You cannot kill your corrupted friend "multiple times". Respawn for those that die while corrupted is random. You won't be able to spawn camp your friend. You might be able to kill them once. But that is it. By the time they figure out where they are, run back to you, they will have been killed multiple times, respawning randomly each time. They show up on the mini map with a big flashing indicator that says "KILL ME!" and those with bounty hunter will have even more abilities to track them. You have spent hours and pages of REEEE talking out your nethers and still lack a basic understanding of the system. But hey, you are at least popcorn worthy. Like watching that droolcup slowly fill from height.

You forgot to mention how dying to friend will still apply the Corruption Death Penalties, which you will still have to work to get rid off. Like gaining enough XP to pay back the huge XP debt you got.
    Only thing you will really be able to "save" even if you manage to do it that way is the items that drop.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2020

The thing is: You don't know if it will be "the same shit". The corruption system is currently not very fleshed out in testing and will likely see many different iterations before becoming its final produt. Claiming that a system like this will make the game dead on arrival is just wrong and you claim these assumptions to be facts, despite clearly interacting with people that quite like the system. AoC is not going to be for everyone and whilst you may dislike the idea that you've placed in your head, where the corruption is the worst thing to ever happen to AoC, many people might like it or the system may not be as you've expected it to at all.

You are approaching the situation from your own point of view and with your own experiences and likewise other people have had their own. There are many different ways in which you can approach the corruption system and see it as either something amazing or as something 'shit'.

Now, your demeaning comments and you calling people noobs is only going to stop you from further getting your point across and having people understand your pov. I'd suggest you keep the childlike tantrums away from the forums and contribute with something a little more mature.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Ikcen wrote: »
    Not a friend. Random player. He made two PKs close to my spot, and then came and asked me to kill him. This is from L2 Classic US.

And the only thing that will be "saved" is the items
    Death Penalties will be the same and they are the real punishment.
    The item drop is just the incentive to hunt Corrupted people.

Also, waiting for you to argue against the points I made still oÔ
    If you cannot argue them, simply admit that so I know not to bother observing this thread.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Indeed. The same shit like that in L2. When another player asks you to kill him multiple times, you will feel that system :) It is terrible, abusable and prevents the OW PvP.
    Not a friend. Random player. He made two PKs close to my spot, and then came and asked me to kill him. This is from L2 Classic US.
    So, a player kills two other players (or one other player twice) and then asks you to kill him toget rid of corruption.

I'm not sure how you could say that prevents open world PvP. I mean, it was open world PvP that started that whole thing off - the guy killed two players (or one player twice).

If you do that in Ashes - walk up to a random player and ask them to kill you to get rid of corruption - you still take all the penalties of that corruption, and that player may well end up with one of your items.

• Options
    No, you miss the point completely. I think it had to have 4 PKs to drop gear in L2. I'm not sure. Anyway, the reason was that every player he would kill with a red flag would be another PK. Also to clean the red flag would take hours. So to kill him, no matter of the loss of experience was the best option. He killed some KS trolls. But their goal was to push him for enough PKs to take his gear.

And as I said in my previous argument, this is not better?
    Corruption system makes you have that chance on 1st PK
    So that should be better a "reduction of ganking" than if on 4th PK.
    Corruption 1 - Karma 0
    As for the points - you misunderstood me. What I mean is , that if they want to allow OW PvP, they have to treat differently the ganking, and the PK for farming spot. So for the first maybe 3 PKs the red flag should be reduced to 3-10 min. For more it could become permanent till the corruption is not cleaned.

They don't?
    OW PvP is on everywhere. This is already decided.
    If you don't like it, don't play.

And there exists no "farming spots" in this game.
    Resources, upon being gathered, will not respawn in the same location, but in a different location all together.
    And reducing the time to 3-10 min?
    How is this better at "reducing ganking" than Corruption system which you cannot get rid of before you
    A: Die
    B: Complete a long, hard quest to get rid of it?
    Corruption 2 - Karma 0

That does not remove any other penalty. Also if the flagged red player kills someone in PvP that should not be counted as PK.

This too is a "worse" way to "reduce ganking" than the corruption system.
    If you gank someone while red, you become even more red (more corruption)
    If you kill someone red however, you will not gain corruption at all (if that is what you meant)

So if someone KS, try to abuse the system - for example a bounty hunter with alt, or trolls you badly, you should not be afraid to start PvP.

You are again, ignoring the Death Penalty, maybe you do not know how it works so let me try to explain it simply.

You die = You gain Death Penalties
    1 such Penalty is "XP Debt"
    While you have XP Debt, your stats are lowered (strength, agility, stamina etc)
    Since your stats are lowered, this lowers your Combat Efficiency until you have paid back the XP Debt completely.

Dying as "Corrupt|Red" gives you 3-4 times the Death Penalties, aka 3-4x XP Debt. This cannot be avoided even if a friend kills you. This will ALWAYS happen no matter what.
    And you do not have to be afraid to start PvP?

Dying as Green actually gives you higher Death Penalties than if you fought back (Purple).

TLDR;
    None of your points are good or proving anything.
    If anything, it sounds like you want the system gone so you can gank others freely.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    noaani wrote: »
    Indeed. The same shit like that in L2. When another player asks you to kill him multiple times, you will feel that system :) It is terrible, abusable and prevents the OW PvP.
    So, a player kills two other players (or one other player twice) and then asks you to kill him toget rid of corruption.

I'm not sure how you could say that prevents open world PvP. I mean, it was open world PvP that started that whole thing off - the guy killed two players (or one player twice).

If you do that in Ashes - walk up to a random player and ask them to kill you to get rid of corruption - you still take all the penalties of that corruption, and that player may well end up with one of your items.

No. They KS mobs and trolled him. And then they intentionally let him kill them. As the gear was pretty expensive, even if they caught one player per day would worth it. In this current case they even did not want the spot. Just abused the PK system.

Well this makes no sense.

Why would those two players goad that third player in to attack them if the only penalty that player would face is so light that a random passer by can negate it?

I mean, from their perspective, they aggravate a player, get killed by that player, and then that player has no real penalty to speak of. What was the point to all of that?

And lets not forget - that third player, the one that attacked, he chose to attack. He didn't have to. He could have walked away if he wanted to, but he assessed the risk vs reward of the situation and decided to attack.

Other than having a system where you can ask a passer by to help you get red of that penalty, I don't see the issue here.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    grisu wrote: »
    It's that time of the year again isn't it?

tenor.gif

Yeah.....
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I doubt for that. Also I was talking about another game with pretty similar system.

You can doubt it all you want.
    This has already been stated by the CEO and lead game designer several times.
    Corruption will give you a chance to drop some of your gear/items on death, no matter how little of it you have.
    (And maybe the higher your corruption, the higher the chances of that happening)

So if you still want to doubt it after that, it is not "doubt", its "denying the truth".
    Now if you said you doubt they will keep it that way, that would be a valid point of view, but would still be a view without any base.
    Also ganking and PK are two very different things. Ganking is a role playing, PK is a result of attack when your opponent does not retaliate, it may be caused by different reasons.
    gank
    (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent).

PK
    PK means Player Kill in an online gaming context.
    The term "Player Kill" refers to killing a character controlled by another player

So no, according to the english language, you have your definitions wrong.
    What you refer to as PK is "ganking".
    I think the exp debt means your experience fell under your current level. So it is to avoid deleveling. Something that was possible in L2 for example.

Yes, XP debt is to avoid deleveling while still retaining the same punishments as if you would be lower level again.
    Also I mean that if you are with red flag, any player you kill in PvP is counted as PK - it does not matter if he starts, if he fights, it is counted as PK.

And ofcourse any kill counts as PK in PvP, that's in the definition.
    But no, any player you kill as "Red" does not count as "ganking".
    That is not how the flaggin system works.

TLDR;
    Again, no valid points. Try again.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion nobody will fight back. Going off this forum and the fact that ow pvp os a core part of the game, surely that would attract people who are interested in pvp ie players who will fight back. Not to mention death for all sides is a hinderence; no one player be it green, red, or purple doesn't lose something. Sure I may get them corrupted but now i face 100% of the penalty and have to make my way back. If I'm going to lose flagging up might be the better alternative.

Also what is your opinion on how ow pvp should flow?

Uh that is hard. OK. But fair, maybe some you feel the same way when they read what I wrote :)

When you are flagged red - so you have corruption, every kill of a player, no matter if he fights back, makes you get more corruption. So you do PK - then another player sees you are corrupted, and attacks you, both fight, you win, but your corruption score increases like if you have done another PK. Do you get what I mean now?

You only gain/increase corruption on killing greens. Purples and reds don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    And you do not see any difference? Obviously English is not your native language too.

Simple
    Player Kill = Killing a player
    Ganking = Killing a player in a dishonest way

All ganks are PKs, but not all PKs are ganks.
    This is simple logic.

It's like how all houses have four walls, but not everything that has four walls is a house.
    Grade school level logic oO

No need to try and insult me just because I pointed out that you are wrong.
    However you are correct, English is only one of the 4 languages I speak oO
    Uh that is hard. OK. But fair, maybe some you feel the same way when they read what I wrote :)

When you are flagged red - so you have corruption, every kill of a player, no matter if he fights back, makes you get more corruption. So you do PK - then another player sees you are corrupted, and attacks you, both fight, you win, but your corruption score increases like if you have done another PK. Do you get what I mean now?

No it doesn't.
    If you kill GREEN players while corrupted or not, you gain corruption.
    If you kill PURPLE players while corrupted or not, you dont gain corruption.

So you are basing your arguments on lacking knowledge or misinformation, which means you haven't even bothered to read the comments people have given you so far, as this has been explained a few times already.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    PK - player kill without retaliation. That is how it is commonly used. If you win PvP it is called just a kill.

No, it's not. A quick google search of that makes it obvious that is not what PK stands for.
    Ganking - PK or unfair PvP like 20 vs 1.

Correct, that is "Ganking". 20 vs 1 is indeed ganking.
    Good on you for getting it right.
    In the games where the open world is restricted the ganking could be very controversial, like here for example, and the most MMORPGs.

Again, it doesn't restrict the ganking at all.
    It punishes for ganking sure (if you kill someone who doesn't fight back)
    (Even if its 20v1 as long as that 1 fights back, you wont get corrupted, you only gain corruption from killing Greens)
    If you can win, but intentionally do not retaliate - you will be PKed, but this is not a gank. Often that happens when players abuse game systems like the current one.

Then that is a risk you take.
    Because if you die as GREEN, you get higher death penalties than if you fought back.
    Meaning higher XP Debt, more materials lost on death etc.
    And that is also why the system will be tested and fine tuned.
    Griefing has double meaning. In the games like WoW it is used for player who gank or in general attack other players. But also it could mean if you killing steal, so take the mobs of another player, or interrupt a raid for boss and etc.

I explain that so to be clear what I'm talking about.

Kill Stealing is fine?
    If it's that important for you, fight back and kill the thief?
    Again, this MMO will not be "Safe"
    This was a point that was carved into stone at it's earliest stage.
    If you want a "Safe" MMO, this MMO is sadly not for you.
    Nothing is safe.
    You can be killed even in cities, your "storage" of materials can get looted in Nodes if its sieged, and looted in your Freehold (Home) if the Node your Home belongs to is successfully sieged.
    NOTHING is safe. If you don't like that, this game is not for you *shrug*
  • Options
    See if green hits red, he stays green - so another PK. Also you can notice there is not explanation what happens if purple hits red and die.

Simple, because there will be NO change to Purple player's Flagging Status, he will stay Purple upon attacking someone RED.

Green attacking Red means this:
    You will not get flagged for combat by attacking someone who's Corrupt.
    As for the OW PvP it is a simple risk/reward issue. The current system does not give any rewards for PK, but the risk is highest possible in this game. So if you start a PvP, you have to be pretty sure that the opponent will hit back, or you will be seriously screwed. And that disbalance of risk and reward makes the current PK system highly abusable.

It gives good rewards for PK
    Upon death you will drop raw materials you have on you.
    So if you are carrying like 100 Herbs, you might drop 70 Herbs upon death by being killed as green
    Or 50 Herbs if you are killed as Purple. (Arbitrary numbers meant for explanation purposes to how it works)

So it can also be used to "gauge" how much worth a player has on him if you attack him, attacks back, probably has something, he doesn't maybe he doesnt have much. Maybe he's trying to trick you into thinking he doesn't have much. Risk vs Reward.
    Not fighting back gives harsher death penalties as well so is a Risk vs Reward for the other player too.

It is obvious why this is made - to prevent the ganking, but actually it will prevent the entire OW PvP for small groups and 1vs 1.

It won't prevent the entire OW PvP from happening.
    You simply dont carry valuables on you when you go out to hunt people for resources, you won't gain much corruption from killing someone at your level, however the lower the level of the person you attack comapred to your own, the corruption you gain will mulitply.
    So is made to scare off people who gank lower levels yes, but not same level as yourself as there will barely be any corruption gain from killing someone of the same level.
This discussion has been closed.