DPS Meter Megathread

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LMFAO
    GG
  • Why wouldn't have have played wow, it killed EQ2 after all. Everyone was playing WoW at a point.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't have have played wow, it killed EQ2 after all. Everyone was playing WoW at a point.
    Not everyone :)
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't have have played wow, it killed EQ2 after all. Everyone was playing WoW at a point.
    Not everyone :)

When i say everyone i mean like 90%+ of mmo gamers.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Otr wrote: »
    if combat trackers exist, you can prove to those people that they are wrong.

So, without combat trackers will not be possible to notice differences between various choices?
    I have not seen this to be the case.
    What I've seen is the leader looks at their combat tracker, basically says, "WTF? You suck because xxx..."
    And then kicks the person. There is no opportunity to rebutt the leader's assessment.

Obviously, you've ever only played WoW then. Just give it a moment, Nooani will explain this to you.

Nah, I have a purpose for making that claim.

If someone says their experience is something that is basically limited to WoW, and I comment that they must have only played WoW, what people tend to do is list off a whole pile of what ever MMO's they have heard of (or they google "MMOthat isnt WoW", idk).

What then happens is, people read the experience this person has claimed, look at the games they claim to have played, see some games they have played, remember that said experience never happened to them in that game, and understand how much bullshit that person is full of.

Basically, it is a method to give people an opportunity to out themselves as being full of said bullshit - one that many people gladly jump on without even realizing what has happened.

I wouldn't bother doing this with Dygz because 1, I already know much his gaming history (and he knows I know), and 2, despite us disagreeing often, he is smarter than that.
    LMAO
    We all know who all the BS is coming from.
    In this last line I was thinking to two consequences: change and diversity in builds as opposed to having one Meta for a given class.
    Assuming that instead of one meta we have more, the uncertainty will split players between all of them.
    Right, so, if we assume this is what you are thinking, combat trackers are a must to arrive at this point still.

If a game has many "best builds" that are all about equal, with a combat tracker, people will happily say any of those builds are fine to run.

The thing is, without a combat tracker, people wont know those builds are all about equal. In fact, in the one game I played where combat tracker usage was low (Archeage), the games meta had basically nothing at all to do with the best builds.

The games meta was based on what people thought the best builds were.

If you are a great player and you play an average build, if you mow through others they'll start thinking your build is the meta. As such, they will use it. Then everyone will see more and more people playing this build, and just assume that is because it is the best build.

This is basically what happened in Archeage - except it all happened on Korean servers before NA/EU servers even went live. By the time our servers went live, we had a meta, people stuck with it, few people were capable of checking it, and as a result that exact meta stayed the same for more than half a decade.

Adding some variation to things (however you wish to add it) isnt going to alter the fact that without a combat tracker, players basically just guess what the meta is, expect/demand others use it, and it basically never changes.

Basically, without objective data, others will expect/demand that you use specific builds - regardless of how good they are - simply due to familiarity. If they have had success with that build in the past, at least they know the build is up to the task.

If the developers start to then extend the period of time between balance changes (any form of variation intended to alter balance) you start to get in to a situation where players are basically have to relearn the game every few months (or at least respec and regear).

This is what ESO does. Ask people like @George_Black what they think of games that just up and change things for no real reason every few months like that.

Point is, if your goal is to have a situation where players have as wide a variety of builds that others will accept as is possible, you only need two things.

The first one is a developer that gives us classes that have multiple viable builds. There is no scenario in which players are free to run any of many builds unless the developer has done this.

The second thing that is needed is for players to know these builds are all about equal. The only way they can know this for sure is with objective data, and the only valid way to get that level of objective data is a combat tracker.
    That happens only when players discover the MMO, when is fresh.
    This line is untrue.

Even WoW - the single most analyzed MMO in history - there was a new and improved meta for setting up a raid that was found only a year or two ago.

After a decade in EQ2, I was still working on new builds for my main right up until I decided to leave the game.
    My suggestion had the premise that players do not oppose to combat trackers but to players who tell them what to do and how to play.
    Players that want to do well on content will always dictate what builds are acceptable. If you want to expand the number of builds available, players need to understand that more builds are viable.
    Now, imagine a few friends playing together. If they discover the game together, the friendship helps enjoying the game. If they share what they think and discuss the builds the process of discovery works fine.
    But if one of the friends chooses to watch youtube videos or goes to dedicated sites, and comes with the answers, he become a toxic friend.
    This depends.

Were that group of friends happy just meandering along not being overly successful? Or did they want to improve? If they wanted to improve, and that one player went out and found the information they all need to improve, he is not the toxic player, he is the hero.

On the other hand, if the rest of the friends are happy just lazing around at their own pace but that one friend wants to see more of the game than that allows for, is he the toxic one for wanting to do better, or are the others the toxic ones for holding him back?

This is essentially the same thing I have been saying for a while, the issue is when players of differing play styles attempt to play together.

In your scenario, the problem was that one player among that group of friends wanted to play the game in a different way to the rest of the group. Even without combat trackers, that player would have wanted to play the game better, and would have found *some* information on how to play better than the group was.

Your argument here isn't with combat trackers at all. The things you are talking about will happen with or without them.

Essentially, you are trying to argue that knowledge of the game should not be shared at all.
    Knowledge should be shared for the good of the metropolis and it's vassals. That knowledge could come from military nodes.
    I don't want a hero who gives the information to my enemies for free.
    Interestingly, this (but on a guild level) is why there is so few guides to top end content in EQ2.

I'll say it again for you though, your issue is not with combat trackers. Literally none of the issues you have talked about have been caused by combat trackers, nor would any of them be resolved by their removal.

If you are pro-data, or pro-information, then you are pro-combat tracker - even if you do not realize it. You may have concerns with how that data or information is then shared, but that is not the purview of combat trackers.

They simply enable efficient collection of that data - nothing more.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I have never seen a group leader leave or be removed. I don't even know how the group leader could be removed and, since the group leader has the kick tools, seems exceedingly more likely the leader would kick, rather than leave.

While group cohesion = group with same mind... You are just blind to not see group where leader lose all leadership. It happens often... I saw it in casual guilds that goes in PvE progress but with not big goals (just go "as far as we can" ) everytime, some people in the guild will get too far into the "pushing" mindset. And they will become quite harsh to people that are deadweight (and there isn't needed a combat tracker to know who.)
    The group cohesion is falling at this point, because the group is now 2 differnet mindset that can't exist together
    At this point, a guild has 2 future :
    1) The guild evolve, change, the progress become a thing, The guildmate there just "to chill" often can stay but are not anymore in the raids. Or they leave.
    2) Most guild members prefer to chill and the players who wants progress leaves due to frustration.

In both case, the guildmaster in the "minority side" has 2 solutions : admit being out of touch, give the lead. (in first case, he can keep it while giving enough tools for the officers in "progress" mindset to do organize the raids... but it often end with the guildmaster title being given)
    Or... stay a tyrant. . .

The tyrant has the button sure... Who cares. People will rebuild a guild, or all leave to join the guild of some friends

"Yeah but you speak about guild not group" But it is mostly the same no ?
    Ashes of Creation is a lot about social interaction, and raid 40 people will need some logistic bind to guilds.

Buuuut ok, lets spoke about some PU group for some content not so hard.
    Just let see FFXIV and primal farm.
    Yes, the kick comes from the partyleader, sure... And it rarely needs debate because people joined this farm party because the title/description defined if it was chill or "hardcore" so kicking a party member out of place seems normal and without need to debate (which would be lost of time in both situation...)
    What if the party leader decide to kick and people disagree or find it excessiv : or people shut up (so in fact it is not a so big problem for them) or... they protest and, because most of time the pride make partylead to stick its way, they all leave... and reform the party.

The kick is not just "right-click => kick" it can also be "lets do a party but not with him"

It is like playing chess against your opponent using a specialized chess engine.
    Or playing a shooter using an aim assist software.
    Using a DPS Meter is like being a cheater.

Macro that generates autorotation from one click are similar to aim assist
    DPS meter / combat tracker are just... metric.

all those 3 things (combat tracker, aim assist or macro) can be developped by another dude, and you just set up his files on your computer then enjoy.
    But combat tracker won't make you good. while macro will do the perfect cycle for your skills and the aim assist will allow you to do headshot while aiming 3 meters away...
    Combat tracker it is just result from various test, but you still have to do test... SO you have to find out what test you have to do.

You could try 100 differents ways to DPS the dummy in front of you, define the best of the 100, be happy, and still suck :
    -maybe you didnt find out the real best way yet.
    -ok, you have the dummy best cycle, but you have a real static class and fights will force you to move (or other similar problem between theory and reality)

You still have to play well, having the answer on "how to play" does not me "you know how to play" and even less "you are good"

Aimbot allows you to have good stats even when playing with your feets. Combat tracker will just show you that you are still playing with your feet, and allow you how to use your hands instead... It will remains to you to improve.

Would be like a picture with low resolution.
    You would not be able to tell what happens between 99% and 76% or between 74% and 51%, beside a general direction.

You can... Harder without combat tracker, but you can.
    And harder you do this work, the more you tear apart your community. because some will do... (Or they will just get bored of a boring game and leave)
    But harder it is to work its own efficiency, the more difference there will be between people trying to get it and the others that in the end, play with pure "i feel this is better"
    I am not going to even argue this point because that has been stated to be straight up against the ToS and should be a bannable offence. And quite frankly the number of people in this thread alone that have mentioned that they will be using them regardless disgusts me. But yeah, people will use them. Don't group with them.

On FFXIV combat tracker are against TOS clearly
    https://www.fflogs.com/
    This site is just lots of data uploaded from ... combat trackers
    While some debate around parsers on FFXIV forum some people discovered that they have statistics of them on this site without even knowing it before...

They were in party where one or more people had combat tracker running, and those people did upload the datas to the site... And they could only discovered it because on the forum debate the site was linked, explained, they roamed it, typed their character name, and discovered this...

People will use combat tracker,
    Any unknown people you will party with will maybe use it... maybe not. And you will never know about it.

Now ask yourself why the only way to get banned from FFXIV for using parsers is ONLY if you kick a dude from your party while SAYING you kick him for bad DPS (if you kick him but don't say why, you won't have any problem)?
    Why some video with kills from top world there are proof they have modified ACT to also do the calls during the fights and those same party are not banned ?

Simply : Yoshida doesn't want to kill the PvE of his game. While those people, pushing always higher their own performance are a really, cool and shiny show for lot of people... who could think to do those really hard high end content. so... more customers.
    edited August 2022
    Are you talking about group leadership or guild leadership?

It doesn't matter if the only way to get banned from FFXIV for using parsers is ONLY if you kick a dude while SAYING you kick him for bad DPS.
    What matters is that the devs don't provide players with DPS meters.
  • I am so glad Steven is saying no to DPS meters, AoC always gives me more hope for the mmo genre.
    I am so glad Steven is saying no to DPS meters, AoC always gives me more hope for the mmo genre.

I am so glad it isnt Steven's call.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im so glad the two voices of reason Noaani and mag7spy are here to figure all this out for us.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    I am so glad Steven is saying no to DPS meters, AoC always gives me more hope for the mmo genre.

I'm expecting this comment to be a joke.
  • Just popping in to say hey and that dps meters arent necessary and while I am not against them in some games I dont want to see them in this one. It'll be refreshing to not have a system do all of the work for players trying to figure out a meta.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Exactly... as if the try hard wont record a video and frame by frame it anyway to find out whats optimal. Let them do the work.
    Noaani wrote: »

Not at all.

As I've said a few times, multiple trackers already exist for the game, and dont break the ToS.

The best people that dont want trackers can hope for is an FFXIV style rule where they aren't allowed to be talked about in game - but I doubt that will work well with voice chat.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 2022

Not at all.

As I've said a few times, multiple trackers already exist for the game, and dont break the ToS.

The best people that dont want trackers can hope for is an FFXIV style rule where they aren't allowed to be talked about in game - but I doubt that will work well with voice chat.

Can you link me the official TOS and also a quote saying it wont be updated for release?
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I think people are going to invent ways to track DPS if the game doesn't provide it. Those inventions will make their way to the internet. Its inevitable.
    Diamaht wrote: »
    I think people are going to invent ways to track DPS if the game doesn't provide it. Those inventions will make their way to the internet. Its inevitable.

So its a job intrepid can have done for them. I think thats a good thing. Faster game release that way

Not at all.

Can you link me the official TOS and also a quote saying it wont be updated for release?

Nope.

What I can do is tell you that the ToS of a piece of software can only define the terms of how you use that piece of software.

Current combat trackers for Ashes do not interact with Intrepids software at all. As such, the ToS simply can not have anything at all in it to prevent their use.

So its a job intrepid can have done for them. I think thats a good thing. Faster game release that way

I mean, a competent developer should be able to code a combat tracker I a day or two (or they could use the one that was already made by an Intrepid developer).

The part of it that would take the most time is UI design - but that would fall in with all other UI work.
  • Noaani wrote: »

Not at all.

Nope.

What I can do is tell you that the ToS of a piece of software can only define the terms of how you use that piece of software.

Current combat trackers for Ashes do not interact with Intrepids software at all. As such, the ToS simply can not have anything at all in it to prevent their use.

Then I'm assuming its a program takes abilities and such and lets you see dmg theoretically in a certain perfect situation based on things you input in. Though it will be faking to account for downtime on skills and such to get your damage numbers. So either way it won't be accurate of actual combat.

I mean, a competent developer should be able to code a combat tracker I a day or two (or they could use the one that was already made by an Intrepid developer).

The part of it that would take the most time is UI design - but that would fall in with all other UI work.

So you are saying someone spent company time programing things that are not within the gsmes current scope? No wonder they keep missing dates, they have team members that dont follow the script.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

So you are saying someone spent company time programing things that are not within the gsmes current scope? No wonder they keep missing dates, they have team members that dont follow the script.

This post says nothing about anything done on company time, though.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Edit
    Azherae wrote: »

I mean, i was asking. There is a question mark. They are free to clearify
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It was your second sentence that got that response from me, but yeah, I shouldn't have. Bad habit. Carry on.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

It was your second sentence that got that response from me, but yeah, I shouldn't have. Bad habit. Carry on.

I mean, you're fine. Im being a smartass.