Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DPS Meter Megathread

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2022
    In my experience, players become competitive in games because they play and enjoy them.
    This is accurate.

However, in my experience, players enter the competitive scene in this manner, but they then eventually move on to other games looking for that next competitive experience. There isn't a lot of movement between competitive and non-competitive play within the same genre - it's almost (though not quite) a one way shift.

As to whether it matters - that depends on whether or not Ashes is wanting to attract that competitive segment of the population.

While I am more than happy to agree that an average MMO doesn't need it to be successful, I would wager that a game like Ashes actually does. This game won't be able to keep hold of casual gamers (they will play for a while, just not long term), and will be constantly losing the tail end of gamers that aren't casual, yet aren't that competitive segment.

If they don't have a solid chunk of that competitive set, who do they have?
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited March 2022
    dps meters are analytical tools when the design of the game calls for them - it just happens that the typical mmo formula is requiring them in every iteration of the genre.

The reason is simple, players need some feedback whether pressing skills in this order is better than in the other order and it doesnt matter how deep you are in creating builds.

So if you don't want meters to exist then you need to satisfy this basic mmo need for performance feedback. It can simply be some custom room with ui to test shit and transparent gameplay feedback so the player never needs to ask "wtf killed me", because he knew the moment he died what happened and why.

you don't give players this feedback and a large percentage will quit, another will use unofficial meters, some will learn to live with it and masochists will love it
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Players don't need feedback from DPS meters. There are other ways to evaluate skill efficacy.
    Also... DPS meters don't answer "WTF killed me?"
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    DPS meters don't answer "WTF killed me?"
    Combat trackers absolutely do.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How do we assess the abilities of healers without a HPS (Heals per Second) meter? We seem to have gone fine without this feature. Admittedly, my example is off target in several ways: usually there is just one healer per party, there are a lot more damage dealers involved than healers, there are probably more replacement damage dealers available than there are replacement healers, etc. More people are interested in DPS than are in HPS, but HPS could be a useful measure, right?

What other things could be measured? Crafting success percentage (assuming a random component)? Gold income per day? Friends made per day? Miles travelled per week? Contribution to home node advancement per week? Quest success/failure ratio?

I am not taking a position on the pro/anti DPS argument. It is one of potentially many 'success' measures and one that is popular with lots of players. The 'Heals per Second' and 'Wealth per Day' are more interesting to me, personally.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Players don't need feedback from DPS meters. There are other ways to evaluate skill efficacy.

I haven't seen a "dps meter" in any game that was restricted to just displaying dps, they have always been a general combat log parser that includes dps, damage taken, healing, and yes death logs.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    How do we assess the abilities of healers without a HPS (Heals per Second) meter? We seem to have gone fine without this feature.
    I've been using one since 2005 - the first combat tracker I ever used was able to measure heals.

I've also used ACT to assist me with both marketplace sales in MMO's and crafting success, among many other things.

I've also used it for non-gaming applications as well, but there is no need to get in to that right now.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    In my experience, players become competitive in games because they play and enjoy them.
    This is accurate.

However, in my experience, players enter the competitive scene in this manner, but they then eventually move on to other games looking for that next competitive experience. There isn't a lot of movement between competitive and non-competitive play within the same genre - it's almost (though not quite) a one way shift.

As to whether it matters - that depends on whether or not Ashes is wanting to attract that competitive segment of the population.

While I am more than happy to agree that an average MMO doesn't need it to be successful, I would wager that a game like Ashes actually does. This game won't be able to keep hold of casual gamers (they will play for a while, just not long term), and will be constantly losing the tail end of gamers that aren't casual, yet aren't that competitive segment.

If they don't have a solid chunk of that competitive set, who do they have?

Ok, so with your experience it doesn't seem to matter either since competitive players are just going to leave for the next competitive game.

If competitive tools are so important, then don't we need to look at other things for these players to use to be more competitive. Do they need to be able to record sieges? Should they be able to view the full build of other players (abilities, stats, gear, etc.)?

If i'm understanding your logic, if Ashes doesn't allow players to record and replay sieges then it won't be able to hold competitive players.
  • Options
    Ok, so with your experience it doesn't seem to matter either since competitive players are just going to leave for the next competitive game.
    Eventually, yes.

However, that is usually after between 5 and 10 years in a given game.

Being able to record and replay sieges is likely not going to be that important. If it is important - if there is data that it can show that can make the difference between winning and losing the next siege - then yes.

However, I don't see that happening, so no.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Eventually, yes.

However, that is usually after between 5 and 10 years in a given game.

Being able to record and replay sieges is likely not going to be that important. If it is important - if there is data that it can show that can make the difference between winning and losing the next siege - then yes.

However, I don't see that happening, so no.

Knowing everything that happened in a siege or any game event, is way more important than knowing players dps. It tells you exactly what happened. You can see who fucked up, missed opportunities, who got the short end of the stick, etc. I'm sure you could imagine how recording a pve encounter could help you sort through any issues that occurred during it.

With your logic, we need this or we can't keep the competitive players.
  • Options
    It tells you exactly what happened. You can see who fucked up, missed opportunities, who got the short end of the stick, etc.

A combat tracker will tell you all of that.
  • Options
    It tells you exactly what happened. You can see who fucked up, missed opportunities, who got the short end of the stick, etc.

Seeing it is a lot easier than reading through a log and trying to understand why everything happened. You are the one that claims that these convinces are needed for the game to be competitive and successful.
  • Options

Seeing it is a lot easier than reading through a log and trying to understand why everything happened. You are the one that claims that these convinces are needed for the game to be competitive and successful.

I never claimed there is a need to replay sieges, you claimed that I must think that.

You are taking what I have said, and dialing it up several notches.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I never claimed there is a need to replay sieges, you claimed that I must think that.

You are taking what I have said, and dialing it up several notches.

Yes i am.

You have made the claim that people need these tools to be competitive. I have proposed a new tool, one that is similar to an example you gave from another game, that would be helpful for competitive play. If you have ever been competitive, you know rewatching your games to see what you did wrong and how you can improve is a common practice.

If you are going to make the claim that players need tools to be competitive and without these tools, the competitive scene will die, then you should also think the game will die without this tool.
  • Options
    You have made the claim that people need these tools to be competitive.
    No I haven't.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can't you just use the tools the game gives you.. you know. The health bar and the numbers flying by?
  • Options
    We should have a DPS meter because

A DPS meter can give the option for players to use meta strategies which in turn overtime will help the development team balance the game to allow for more diverse sets, instead of having internal reports generate what might be overpowered let the (hopefully) millions of AOC players figure it out show you and help you determine what level or nerf of buff something needs.

A DPS meter is also useful for hardcore guilds where the focus is PVP. It'll allow players to figure out how much damage/healing/shielding/buffed damage they did among other things. Over time general numbers will help guide the community on where they should be for their character. Nobody is going to kick a cleric for not out damaging a mage and if they do there is no chance their guild or team will stick together or be successful.

The DPS meter should be created for individual players to use but is allowed to be shared through a message system to someone they are in the party or guild with after the dungeon/boss or combat has ended. This allows players to groom themselves if they so wish, it also allows guilds to declare their intent in terms of player requirements easily. A guild asking for DPS is likely looking for a hardcore or semi hardcore group and needs performance, on the other hand a guild not asking for players to share DPS stats is likely less focused on that PVP aspect and the this gives the player a clear distinction and allows them to choose.

TL:DR

Yes to DPS meters, make them on for individual players and sharable to guild members and through Dms. It'll help find balance issues quickly and help players know what they are getting into when joining a guild
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You have made the claim that people need these tools to be competitive.
    No I haven't.

Ok, i'm sorry if i'm miss understanding you but it sounds like that is what you are saying here.
    If your definition is that the game attracts people to it that want a competitive top end scene (my definition of a competitive game), then yes, you need those tools.

As i said in the comment you were responding to. I was initially responding to someone who said that if the game doesn't have dps meters, it can't be competitive and i disagreed with that.

So what are we arguing?
  • Options
    So what are we arguing?

I never said that people will need a combat tracker to be competitive, I have, however, said many times in this thread that competitive people will not come to Ashes if there is not official support for one.

I now people in a few hundred "top end" guilds in various games. Playing in at the top end for over a decade and a half will do that for you. Basically, they are all just guilds that consider raiding (or their games version of it) to be their primary content focus.

Virtually none of these guilds are even considering Ashes right now. The game is not showing any signs that it will support the MMO content type that these guilds prefer, so why would they?

That accounts for likely tens of thousands of MMO players, just in the guilds I have a direct connection with.

Now to address your point about a tool to rewatch a siege, and why your ridiculousness there is indeed ridiculous.

It basically boils down to the fact that a combat tracker is better for an MMO, even if it is near worthless for a BR. BR's are not stat heavy, MMO's are. In a BR, you can't really do all that much to alter the ability of your character all that far from it's base, in an MMO that is basically what the game is about.

The only thing that a tool like that would tell me in an MMO that a combat tracker does not, is where the enemies that we did not see are - and that is information that I do not believe we should have, we should need to find them ourselves in order to know where they are.

Literally everything else you can learn from that tool you can also learn just as easily with a combat tracker.
  • Options
    So what are we arguing?

I never said that people will need a combat tracker to be competitive, I have, however, said many times in this thread that competitive people will not come to Ashes if there is not official support for one.

I now people in a few hundred "top end" guilds in various games. Playing in at the top end for over a decade and a half will do that for you. Basically, they are all just guilds that consider raiding (or their games version of it) to be their primary content focus.

Virtually none of these guilds are even considering Ashes right now. The game is not showing any signs that it will support the MMO content type that these guilds prefer, so why would they?

That accounts for likely tens of thousands of MMO players, just in the guilds I have a direct connection with.

Now to address your point about a tool to rewatch a siege, and why your ridiculousness there is indeed ridiculous.

It basically boils down to the fact that a combat tracker is better for an MMO, even if it is near worthless for a BR. BR's are not stat heavy, MMO's are. In a BR, you can't really do all that much to alter the ability of your character all that far from it's base, in an MMO that is basically what the game is about.

The only thing that a tool like that would tell me in an MMO that a combat tracker does not, is where the enemies that we did not see are - and that is information that I do not believe we should have, we should need to find them ourselves in order to know where they are.

Literally everything else you can learn from that tool you can also learn just as easily with a combat tracker.

Yes, it sounds like the ""issue" is the game doesn't support the kind of gameplay they are looking for. I don't think a combat tracker changes that.

There isn't official support for combat trackers in FF14 but that game seems to be doing fine. Being caught using one can even get you banned.

Just curious, can you give me a list of at least 100 of those "top end" guilds?

A recording also lets you see everything that your players are doing, not just what is logged in the tracker. You know exactly why something happened because you saw it. Text doesn't show everything which is why it gives you a clearer picture than a combat tracker. There is some overlap in information but it's a lot easier to see what happened in a recording. Since it's easier to see what happened, it's more convenient.
  • Options
    Yes, it sounds like the ""issue" is the game doesn't support the kind of gameplay they are looking for. I don't think a combat tracker changes that.
    Intrepid have in the past said they want exactly the kind of gameplay these people want - so you can't really say that the issue is that the game doesn't support the gameplay these people want.

A recording won't give you any reasons as to why something happened or did not happen. Again, the only thing it would show you (assuming you are talking about the kinds of tools used in PUBG) is where the enemy was, and that is not something people should be able to see.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Intrepid have in the past said they want exactly the kind of gameplay these people want - so you can't really say that the issue is that the game doesn't support the gameplay these people want.

A recording won't give you any reasons as to why something happened or did not happen. Again, the only thing it would show you (assuming you are talking about the kinds of tools used in PUBG) is where the enemy was, and that is not something people should be able to see.

Ok, can you thoroughly explain the gameplay they want part to me. Unless you're saying that you know a few hundred "top end" guilds who aren't going to play ashes because there is no combat tracker.

If you think that all a vod does for a PUBG player is show them where their enemies were at then you don't understand them.

As i said, it shows you everything. It shows you how they were positioned, what they were doing, and sometimes why they were doing it. Trackers don't record for things like position, LOS, and collision. A recording shows everything that the tracker misses and since you are watching exactly what happened, it's easy to understand.
  • Options

Ok, can you thoroughly explain the gameplay they want part to me. Unless you're saying that you know a few hundred "top end" guilds who aren't going to play ashes because there is no combat tracker.

If you think that all a vod does for a PUBG player is show them where their enemies were at then you don't understand them.

As i said, it shows you everything. It shows you how they were positioned, what they were doing, and sometimes why they were doing it. Trackers don't record for things like position, LOS, and collision. A recording shows everything that the tracker misses and since you are watching exactly what happened, it's easy to understand.

Actually Trackers does show your exact position at a specific time. Just look at warcraft logs, you can go to any fight, select "replay", and you will see the movement of every player and the boss/adds. Trackers tracks EVERYTHING that is sent from and/or received to your computer. Yes a PoV video of every player would be really awesome, but that would take up a lot of serve space and computer power because of the overwhelming information that a MMORPG is handling.

If we could get a replay function like in CSGO and all the numbers in a nice looking format, that would be awesome. But since i do not think a PoV reply function will be a thing I would very much want the next best thing, a combat track with a nice UI.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rikardp98 wrote: »

Actually Trackers does show your exact position at a specific time. Just look at warcraft logs, you can go to any fight, select "replay", and you will see the movement of every player and the boss/adds. Trackers tracks EVERYTHING that is sent from and/or received to your computer. Yes a PoV video of every player would be really awesome, but that would take up a lot of serve space and computer power because of the overwhelming information that a MMORPG is handling.

If we could get a replay function like in CSGO and all the numbers in a nice looking format, that would be awesome. But since i do not think a PoV reply function will be a thing I would very much want the next best thing, a combat track with a nice UI.

As this started as a DPS meter talk, i'm not sure if the combat tracker you are referring too is the one being talked about but i'm also not experienced with it. It sounds like that is a recording that has most of the data needed to be rendered in game. Maybe a few extra datapoints like character direction, height, and maybe animation but it sounds like you have the core of what you need.

I'm not sure where you came into the conversation but i was initially responding to someone who was claiming that without DPS meters, the game could never be competitive and would die. I responded because i thought that was a silly claim and noaani decided to join the convo. I uped the ante at one point and asserted a recording must also be necessary for competitive play because on it's convenience to see where the conversation would go and here we are.

To bring the conversation back, I'm asserting that the lack of these features will both not kill the competition in the game or the game itself.
  • Options
    I uped the ante at one point and asserted a recording must also be necessary for competitive play because on it's convenience.

This, imo, is the part where there is an issue.

I'm actually not even arguing that a replay function like you say wouldn't have its use. It may well be convenient. However, a combat tracker is essential at the top end - I am not talking about conveniences at all.
  • Options
    Azryil wrote: »

I haven't seen a "dps meter" in any game that was restricted to just displaying dps, they have always been a general combat log parser that includes dps, damage taken, healing, and yes death logs.
    Yes.
  • Options
    Azryil wrote: »

Yes.

at least you admit that your last post is completely moot :joy:
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    I admit that the comment I responded to, while true, is irrelevant. So, inherently moot.
    Yes.
  • Options
    I admit that the comment I responded to, while true, is irrelevant. So, inherently moot.
    Yes.

Since the comment you responded to was a direct refute of your claim that combat trackers don't answer what killed you, if that comment was irrelevant, then so to was the point it directly refuted.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes.

How was my comment in any way irrelevant? You attempt to make arguments using a literal description of "DPS Meter" despite the fact that the colloquial use, as well as what has been discussed for the entirety of this thread has been that of a combat tracker.
    k2U15J3.png