Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption system in relation to auto-flagging in open sea

Comments

• Options
    ElleandriaElleandria Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    Be nice @Elleandrias

I agree about casuals and hand holding. They are truly part of what is destroying modern day games. I swear to god it's so hard for me to find a game anymore that's not just a mindless clicking simulator.

But be nice. Dygz is a homie.

I don't pander nor do i conform to casuals that want to ruin games because they can't handle just not playing it. Dygz is one of those homies and i don't support it at all because its what has ruined almost every single MMORPG currently out, its just mindless casuals like you said.

Isn't Enveus one of the Mega Guilds interested in Ashes? Could be wrong, but if they are, I don't ever recall those being healthy for MMO Game Communities.

They're usually the only thing keeping the hardcore side of a game alive and thriving because the casuals that don't want open world PvP wouldn't be in them, they're usually off on their own or not playing the game because it doesn't suite them like 90% of gamers. Reason why i don't play Tarkov just to complain about Evacing or something else, i just don't play the game.

From my experience non-mega guild players avoid mega guild servers like the plague, even hopping servers and inevitably causing those mega guilds to hop servers due to not having anyone to compete with, causing a disruption on the entire new server to the point where it tends to make it crash and burn. But I have only seen that happen like 6 or 7 times.

Seeing as the majority of the mega guilds for Ashes don't have people that are going to leave a server because they're getting steamrolled I dont see that happening, nor have i ever seen it happen in any other game i've played.

Well thats a relief, hopefully they all stay on the head start servers.

Most of us won't be on the head start servers either, but it won't matter to the rest of yall where we go either so

Most of you? Wouldn't the rest of you join the head starter servers once able? Be sure to post up your server ASAP either way! Definitely avoiding the mega guild servers.

The vast majority of guilds don't have head start so why would we go there? Its not like their levels or accomplishments will count for much in the communities eyes
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If there is forced flagging however, I want to make sure there's some sort of magic radar or something similar to prevent trolly ganks that often happen. Like everyone swims underwater and just waits for a boat to pass. PvP is great, having no counter to a sneak attack and getting ganked is bad.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Goalid wrote: »
    If there is forced flagging however, I want to make sure there's some sort of magic radar or something similar to prevent trolly ganks that often happen. Like everyone swims underwater and just waits for a boat to pass. PvP is great, having no counter to a sneak attack and getting ganked is bad.

Those are called eyes.

Also if they swim underwater.... they're swimming. And you're on a ship. They won't catch you.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    ElleandriaElleandria Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Its not going to ruin the game, literally no one is going to miss you bro :yawn: You complaining about a game you aren't going to play in its forums isn't either, but people like you do decide to complain about a game solely because THEY don't like it and want its basics changed are the scum of MMOs and why Intrepid has said time and time again, Ashes of Creation will not be for everyone.
    What complaint did I make?

You know what you did dygz, stop trying to play victim when all you do on the forums is complain and argue :yawn: its becoming a meme, a funny meme, but a meme nonetheless
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    akabear wrote: »
    If there is a ferry system to commute between areas, would this also be pvp flagged?
    The Wiki wrote:
    Players can provide water-based transportation services (ferry services) but there won't be automated boats.[34]
    (ref: Ferry Services)
    Will dying at sea effect teleport to the nearest destination, creating fast travel?

I didn't find anything on this. I'd appreciate a citation if you do.
  • Options
    Great addition imo, bring on the pirates would love to see a decent size island for a pirate island (Like the one in the top middle of the old map) havant watched all the livestream yet so dunno if we got the new map yet :pensive:

I wouldnt mind seeing some lawless zones on the main continents like maybe 2 area's one on each continent or like a small/medium size island like the top middle on on the old map.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Great addition imo, bring on the pirates would love to see a decent size island for a pirate island (Like the one in the top middle of the old map) havant watched all the livestream yet so dunno if we got the new map yet :pensive:

I wouldnt mind seeing some lawless zones on the main continents like maybe 2 area's one on each continent or like a small/medium size island like the top middle on on the old map.

oh we did, its glorious. 750sqkm of water, 450-480sqkm of land
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Personally I am not a fan of this simply because there will be virtually no corrupted players in the open sea which means there will be no BH and no chance of dropping corrupted players' gear.

If they really wanted to add a free PvP/corruption-less zone, they could've done differently and a lot better. Hopefully Alpha 2 will serve to show this.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited August 2022
    @dygz Seems to me like they aren't changing the corruption system and based on their verbage the areas that auto flag you for combat will not be filled with dungeons and other content but most likely open water for traversing on ships. There is potential that this does not affect you in any way if you so choose. Currently to cross water you could fast travel to-from scientific nodes, use citizenship to go from vassal to parent, family summons to alts or guild mates, follow the cost to cross and traverse very small areas of PVP enabled sea where the odds of being attacked are extremely low due purely to the duration, lastly there is a very real possibility the underworld encompasses multiple routes to cross the continent without ever flagging for PVP.

his may be a problem for a player of your type, however seems to me to not playtest it would be silly, to look at this situation in black and white, yes i will test it or no i won't based purely on their decision regarding this system is folley, not only that but the likelihood that these systems changes is high, every single thing they introduce to us in the alpha is subject to change based on player feedback. It is very possible that ganking is so bad they make any attack on a non combatant flag you for corruption. There are just so many options and possibilities here that to say no RIGHT NOW seems silly.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Personally I am not a fan of this simply because there will be virtually no corrupted players in the open sea which means there will be no BH and no chance of dropping corrupted players' gear.

If they really wanted to add a PvP free/corruption-less zone, they could've done differently and a lot better. Hopefully Alpha 2 will serve to show this.

I plan to test a few things that relate to thus so i wouldn't be so sure of that yet ;)
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I’m going to have to agree with Dygz on this one. It’s a disappointing change. Not because I am against the pvp but because it changes the balance that I was hoping for in a pvx game.

But the thing I really don’t understand is why do this? I mean the vast majority of people traveling across the ocean would likely be caravans, which are mobile pvp zones already. So what does this accomplish other than discourage exploration?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Iffithy wrote: »
    I’m going to have to agree with Dygz on this one. It’s a disappointing change. Not because I am against the pvp but because it changes the balance that I was hoping for in a pvx game.

But the thing I really don’t understand is why do this? I mean the vast majority of people traveling across the ocean would likely be caravans, which are mobile pvp zones already. So what does this accomplish other than discourage exploration?

That's what was bothering me! Thanks for putting it into words.

I could assume that 'people who just want to explore' can stay near coastlines, but then, if the point of going out to sea is to take a risk (of combat?) to get a reward (of what, good items?), is the naval content going to be 'better' in terms of drops to justify this?

It seems like it may create a level-striation in content that my group felt Ashes was specifically planning to 'avoid'.

Not that I hate this particularly, it just seems to moreso be 'denying Dygz and similar players an option for no reason that we currently know', and the 'obvious' reason that comes to mind doesn't seem 'great' relative to the rest of design at the moment, but who knows.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    Seems to me like they aren't changing the corruption system and based on their verbage the areas that auto flag you for combat will not be filled with dungeons and other content but most likely open water for traversing on ships.
    I think I agree that they have not changed the “verbiage” of Corruption.
    Rather what they have done is create a Corruption free zone between continents and islands.

Also, Steven said the reason for this is because there are especially lucrative rewards to be gained on the open seas (and likely beneath the seas). Better rewards means higher risk for those rewards.
    (Whatever Steven means by unique NPCs and treasure-finding opportunities.)

There is potential that this does not affect you in any way if you so choose. Currently to cross water you could fast travel to-from scientific nodes, use citizenship to go from vassal to parent, family summons to alts or guild mates, follow the cost to cross and traverse very small areas of PVP enabled sea where the odds of being attacked are extremely low due purely to the duration, lastly there is a very real possibility the underworld encompasses multiple routes to cross the continent without ever flagging for PVP.
    Pretty sure I already said that work arounds are possible: teleports and family summons.
    However, there is also a high probability that exploration will be hindered. And, access to those “lucrative items” will be in areas that are auto-flagged.

”There’s a lot of opportunities in the open seas. And because there’s lots of opportunities that’s unique to that content, that’s unique to that sea, that’s treasure-finding, that’s NPCs, that’s a lot of stuff, there needs to be risk associated with opportunity. We’ve always said that risk and reward. Opportunity and risk. That’s how you weigh actions. And, players now know, when they move into the open seas, they’re doing so in a method that requires them to be cognizant of their surroundings. Who is near me? Who can mess with me?”
    —Steven

This may be a problem for a player of your type, however seems to me to not playtest it would be silly, to look at this situation in black and white, yes i will test it or no i won't based purely on their decision regarding this system is folley, not only that but the likelihood that these systems changes is high, every single thing they introduce to us in the alpha is subject to change based on player feedback. It is very possible that ganking is so bad they make any attack on a non combatant flag you for corruption. There are just so many options and possibilities here that to say no RIGHT NOW seems silly.
    Um. I said I would not be playing.
    I did not say I would not be testing.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    You know what you did dygz, stop trying to play victim when all you do on the forums is complain and argue :yawn: its becoming a meme, a funny meme, but a meme nonetheless
    I know precisely what I did.
    It’s not what you claim I did.
    You just believe the things you make up in your head.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    But the thing I really don’t understand is why do this? So what does this accomplish other than discourage exploration?

Right around the 2:00:00 mark in the August development update Twitch stream, Steven mentions that you'll now have to worry about risk vs. reward in the open sea. I'm also honestly confused:

Was there not going to be open world PvP in the open sea before this change?
    Was there a problem with the corruption system in the open sea?
    What was the difference between the open sea and the dry land, PvP/corruption wise?
    Was this decision made to ensure "risk vs. reward" (whatever Steven meant by that in today's stream) in the open sea or really to please "PvP players"?
    Does that mean there's no risk vs. reward on land?
    Does that mean the corruption system is dogshit and too harsh on PvPers/PKers so the game needs to have a place to actually PvP?
    As someone who plans to attack people for fun both on land and on the ocean, why not forget about all that corruption bullshit risky land PvP and only focus on open sea PvP?
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    But the thing I really don’t understand is why do this? So what does this accomplish other than discourage exploration?

Right around the 2:00:00 mark in the August development update Twitch stream, Steven mentions that you'll now have to worry about risk vs. reward in the open sea. I'm also honestly confused:

Was there not going to be open world PvP in the open sea before this change?
    Was there a problem with the corruption system in the open sea?
    What was the difference between the open sea and the dry land, PvP/corruption wise?
    Was this decision made to ensure "risk vs. reward" (whatever Steven meant by that in today's stream) in the open sea or really to please "PvP players"?
    Does that mean there's no risk vs. reward on land?
    Does that mean the corruption system is dogshit and too harsh on PvPers/PKers so the game needs to have a place to actually PvP?
    As someone who plans to attack people for fun both on land and on the ocean, why not forget about all that corruption bullshit risky land PvP and only focus on open sea PvP?

Luckily we get to test all of your concerns in the alpha 2. I think it honestly adds flavor.

Part of what I would do is require a harbor to spawn a ship into play, that way you don't just have a bunch of players hiding underwater just so they can spawn a ship when someone gets close. This bit alone would make it so players not looking to be involved in PVP at sea would be able to spot other ships at a distance and maneuver accordingly to avoid getting attacked.
    Ibwould say to also make it difficult, not impossible, to board an enemy ship while not on a ship yourself.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    If there is a ferry system to commute between areas, would this also be pvp flagged?
    The Wiki wrote:
    Players can provide water-based transportation services (ferry services) but there won't be automated boats.[34]
    (ref: Ferry Services)
    Will dying at sea effect teleport to the nearest destination, creating fast travel?

I didn't find anything on this. I'd appreciate a citation if you do.

I wouldn't be surprised if this changed, game is in active development, they will most likely give people a safe ride around as long as their mount is carrying tons of loot and the player as well. Prob will be added into the system of something players can build.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    My understanding is that if your ship is destroyed, you have to swim for shore.
    Dying seems to send you to a respawn spot? I'm kinda expecting that to be at the nearest shoreline.
    Doesn’t seem to truly provide fast travel.

I’ll look for the quote so we can see the exact phrasing.

https://youtu.be/qYuL-GrMmRM?t=4122
    mark 1:08:42

Q: If a ship is destroyed whilst out at sea, Will the player need to slowly swim back to shore? Or get a ride? Are they just stranded out there?
    A: There's a real fast ride they could take. Typically that would involve them just swimming under the water and letting life just, you know... take 'em away...
    (I do not advise anyone doing that in real lif, by the way...)
    I'm just saying... in the game world... there's a fast way and a slower way, but those are kind of your options at that point.
    No. We don't have a recall. There's a consequence for losing the means of your mobility. And if you lost the means of that mobility, then those consequences are it's going to take you longer to get to where you need to go or you're going to have to suffere some experience debt.

---Steven
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    Well this is a disappointing decision. I thought naval content would open ship-based combat & exploration options using the same PvX rules as anywhere else (with maybe the exception of naval caravans).

I hear you, @Dygz on the deal-breaker. Sad we won’t play together in Verra, but I understand & respect your perspective. Glad you’re still testing with us.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love the decisionmaking of autoflag ocean. Its like runescapes wilderness if they did it right <3
    Izil.png
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I absolutely love this change! big props to Steven for the balls, it goes to show they don't care about the majority of players that want a WoW or a FF14 2.0

Good to see all the carebears that for years tried to change the game, getting a good reality check :)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    If Steven is intending to go for the "Archeage style"(as i believe he is) I expect that the Sea will be the place with possible the highest rewards in the game, considering Archeage's golden age as a base, Across the Sea trading would have the most valuable trading routes; Fishing, seafloor gathering and deep dive treasure hunting possible some of the most rewarding professions and Sea World Bosses to be some of the most rewarding .

It's all about the Higher Risk for the Higher Reward.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Is my understanding correct, that there will be a "safe" area around ports and shorelines so those who just want to chill on a little fishing boat can? Or will those safe "bubbles" only apply to Caravans? I'm curious about what the situation will be regarding inland bodies of water, such as lakes and rivers as well.

Will all water be auto-flagged?

I have no problem with full loot areas, I enjoy them, I spend most of my time solo roaming and exploring in the Outlands (full loot zones) in Albion Online and have become pretty good at escaping and avoiding.

I think it is a bit hasty to call this a deal breaker unless you are against the idea of PvP in general. In which case, I kinda wonder why you would be interested in Ashes when it's clear that it will be a central component of the game.

It was interesting to hear more about the Under realm and when hearing the little we did, it reminded me a bit of the Roads of Avalon in Albion Online, a shifting network of tunnels that allow faster and relatively safer travel throughout the world. Could be really cool.

Having a large, auto-flagged open sea sounds great, but it will honestly be made or broken by the different systems that surround it. Will they facilitate fun and dynamic encounters? What will the catch and escape mechanics of ships be like? Will ships get invisibility cloaks? Or perhaps weather effects such as heavy fog or storms provide routes where it would be very hard to be detected.

There are just so many variables that it is impossible to say whether this will be good or not. We haven't even really seen any naval content or mechanics as of yet. There are so many possibilities when it comes to oceanic content. There are just so many questions. But I'm excited.

"Take what you can and give nothing back! Yaaar"
  • Options
    BlipBlip Member
    Perfect, but am afraid Intrepid can use it as a excuse to change flaging on land when CeerBears start screaming.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I totally recommended this in several threads. AND NOW ITS REAL! How does everyone feel about this? Its a pirates life for me!

IM SO HYPED!

I'm glad there's a pvp autoflag for the ocean as it's a dangerous area in my mind, the ocean is always full of the unexpected.

This will make naval content much more exciting as we'll probably see more roving fleets of corsairs, buccaneers, privateers and pirates which can only be a good thing in a now even more vast ocean.

I'm excited to cast off and get underway on this new avenue of adventure for ashes. It's certainly a pirates life for me.

https://youtu.be/Aizsj_Yk8M8
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    I only have one major concern with this. if me and friend are on different land masses and we are trying to team up this can make it very annoying to do so it can already take up to an hour of travel to meet up but if half way there you have to go threw a no flag pvp area and die that's a problem. I don't think playing with a friend should be a reward that should have extra risk involved. the only outcome I can see from this is once I have a "home" area is to never go super far away so if a friend logs in we can meet up.
  • Options
    itwashear wrote: »
    I only have one major concern with this. if me and friend are on different land masses and we are trying to team up this can make it very annoying to do so it can already take up to an hour of travel to meet up but if half way there you have to go threw a no flag pvp area and die that's a problem..

Surely in that scenario, you would just use the "Family summon" option and insta-port to your friend?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Will all water be auto-flagged?
    Just the open seas are auto-flag as Combatant areas.
    There will be major warning messages alerting players that they are approaching such areas.

WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I think it is a bit hasty to call this a deal breaker unless you are against the idea of PvP in general. In which case, I kinda wonder why you would be interested in Ashes when it's clear that it will be a central component of the game.
    Objective-based, opt-in PvP combat for Caravans and Sieges.
    Corruption as the compromise for random, non-consensual PvP combat in the open world.
    That's what has been stated for the 5 years the game has been in development.

I enjoy objective-based, opt-in PvP combat - sometimes. When I'm in the mood for PvP combat - that's what I enjoy.
    I've been skeptical about all playstyles on the same server because, even though I would typically begin with characters on PvP-Optional servers, I would always eventually rage-quit to PvE-Only servers.
    When I'm not in the mood for PvP combat, I want to be free to explore and gather without being pushed into PvP combat.
    Playing the game with the Corruption mechanic was always at the edge of my comfort zone - but testing would determine whether Corruption works well enough as a deterrent for unwanted PvP for me to be willing to play.
    Lineage II players assured me that Corruption would be sufficient because it's harsher than Karma and Karma works well in Lineage II, so... it's really just been, "Sure. Let's test it and see."

The change to having Corruption free zones with unique NPCs and treasure-finding opportunities is a deal-breaker for me. It's too close to EvE online and ArcheAge. I didn't like the naval combat in ArcheAge - too cutthroat - so I chose not to play it.
    Don't like what you don't play. If I recall correctly, I asked Steven when he was first on the Ashen Forge if the PvP in Ashes was similar to EvE Online and ArcheAge, knowing that if it were, it would be a dealbreaker for me.
    So, no, it's not a hasty decision. It's just the natural response for someone who doesn't like the naval combat of ArcheAge when learning that Ashes will have naval combat similar to ArcheAge.

People who enjoy the PvP in EvE Online and ArcheAge should love this gameplay addition. That's great.
    There should be no surprise if it's a dealbreaker for people who do not enjoy the PvP in EvE Online and ArcheAge.
  • Options
    itwashear wrote: »
    I only have one major concern with this. if me and friend are on different land masses and we are trying to team up this can make it very annoying to do so it can already take up to an hour of travel to meet up but if half way there you have to go threw a no flag pvp area and die that's a problem. I don't think playing with a friend should be a reward that should have extra risk involved. the only outcome I can see from this is once I have a "home" area is to never go super far away so if a friend logs in we can meet up.
    If that friend is Family, you should be able to use Family Summons to reach them.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited August 2022
    Objective-based, opt-in PvP combat for Caravans and Sieges.
    Corruption as the compromise for random, non-consensual PvP combat in the open world.
    That's what has been stated for the 5 years the game has been in development.

Which is still the case.

The world is large, no need to have 100% of it dedicated to what you consider to be optimal. Seems a bit extreme to approach it as "Yeah, the entirety of the land mass is how I want it, but the fact that it isn't 100% of the game is a dealbreaker for me" that doesn't seem reasonable. In fact, it comes across as pretty petulant considering we haven't even seen a single piece of Naval gameplay as of yet.

But you do you.