Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Feedback Request] Gathering System Update Shown in October Livestream

1234568»

Comments

• How many trees can I fit in my inventory? I like the suggestion of a number of comments re: it would be nice to see the felling of the tree as the first act, then harvesting the tree as a secondary. Would add some nice immersion to lumberjacking as well as potentially a game layer to let master loggers extract more value. I could accept that the tree would fade to ash after a few whacks explaining why I can carry the bounty of 100 trees around.

I think a question was raised in the lore of how rocks form from the ground. The cool rock dudes we saw in the basic melee showcase - can they crawl from the ground and set as stone?

Im well into herbalism in most games. I'd be keen to hear if you would consider adding mini game in harvesting (or any other gathering). Rather than just harvest and watch the petals fly off after my plant massacre, can you present the plant anatomy and I need to pick and choose whether I'm going to harvest the roots, stem, leaves, flower, thorns etc. Seasonally the gain of each could differ, and each species could have different drop tables, but only a master can extract a few parts of the plant before it fades to ashes...

Essentially, I feel like the see a thing and pick it up has been done enough and I'm keen to see what you come up with.
  • tbh i just hope the next office hours arent just an Enveus blab session
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Torsten wrote: »
    tbh i just hope the next office hours arent just an Enveus blab session

It means we need more people to turn up ;)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Animations and sound fx seem good. The one thing that stood out to me was a lack of urgency, which is understandable for showcasing the process. Usually when out gathering, you would be moving quickly between resource nodes, and keeping your vision on a swivel so as not to be hijacked. It takes a couple of moments for the resource to dissolve away into storage and you appear to be free to be moving to the next target node as soon as the gathering animation is complete. I understand immersive players may not be in as much of a hurry, but if you lose your stash too many times your opinion may change. Just trying to gauge approximate timeframes between stops. I also noticed you stopped chopping on one tree before it was cut down. So you would be able to stop and defend yourself if necessary. Will it remain at a certain percentage cut, or will it eventually return to full?
  • Torsten wrote: »
    tbh i just hope the next office hours arent just an Enveus blab session

I think I've only made it to 1. Always happens when I'm at work
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • zaayrzaayr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i would have some resources also gathered at different stages of growth. like young saplings are for bows, green wood is short pieces and more pliable. normal wood is longer pieces for like houses and other crafting. ancient wood is required for other crafting and are really long pieces. have it so that different stages like it has to have bloomed before you can collect seeds from them. or like an apple tree the young apple tree produces 10 apples, adult produces 25, old produces 35 but can only get the ancient apple blossoms from an old tree in the spring but you have to have a special skill to pick them. the skills could increase quantity, quality or special/rare items, being able to cut down the young trees getting that special item. i want to see it grow and age and not just in one season grow up from a sapling to an ancient tree again. i want it to be a young tree for a year then an adult tree for 3 years then become an ancient tree. it would be interesting to see a tree that was cut down be able to block an entrance or to fall and crush other resources/people/buildings. once it is cut down to then have to cut it up for it to vanish.
  • MissionCreepMissionCreep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This looks amazing, but like all jobs and tasks, it will become commonplace after doing it 10,000 times. So I'm not sure it needs THAT much more work.

As far as fidelity, I don't think that a giant tree should take the same amount of time as a smaller one, but you kind of get into that, I think, in the video. Obviously this system isn't complete.

And of course there will be the players' Profession level, tools, etc. to determine task time, but bigger things should take more time. Our brains get that intuitively.

I think my most important feedback comes from discussion about the surveys, but applies to any other game element (esp. nodes and crafting, though). If you're going to overload us with data and information--which can be great, but doesn't suit everyone; it possibly doesn't even suit many--you must provide that data in layers.*

The main information layer should be: Here's info about X, Y, and Z. For example: this area has berries, iron, and rabbits.
    It should be easily decipherable by a casual player--or an advanced player who wants to reduce their cognitive or chronological load--AT A GLANCE

Then the player can click (or set a default for their preferred layers/information categories) to lift that veil and drill down to see X1, X2, X3, X4 etc, which would be all the info about the berries, iron, and rabbits, such as renewal times, how to grow those resources, etc.

* Look at some 4X strategy games as examples. Some have provided WAY too much detail and too many interactive systems and of course the result is micromanagement, information overload, or both.

Or imagine a database or spreadsheet where you can select or hide/unhide the columns of data that you want to see, that are relevant to you.
  • One important aspect to consider is that the system shouldn't ever force players to not take someone with them to gather items. This would happen if you change the yield per node based on skill level and if there is limited amount of nodes. That would mean that only best yielding players can be used, which means lower level players are not wanted.

Instead, higher level players should benefit everyone. For example, higher level players could be able to identify what rocks to mine and tell that to lower level players and so on. Also, it would be fine that higher level players are faster to mine.

I personally like surveying. In short, I like that there is plenty or too many nodes to gather and player would need to do something to identify what is actually good. Thus, skipping the survey step or being lower level player would mean you are blind. You would gather a node and would get basically random content (as you didn't know the content before hand).

Thus, in short, as long as it's good to do things in group, but doable solo and there is no reason to tell someone that they can not join the gathering trip.